You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#365825 - 09/17/16 05:43 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category)
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

Hi folks, here's my submission in the "Country" category.
The song is called "Let's Talk About It" and here's the link:

LETS TALK ABOUT IT

I used:

_BOXCAR.STY Boxcar Baritone Country Folk
with
RD: NashvilleEven8^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride :Brian Fullen
RT995: Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120 , Craig Young
RT2499: Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120 , Brent Mason
RT1681: Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120 , Pat McGrath
RT1948: Mandolin, Rhythm PopUpliftingAndy Ev16 120 , Andy Leftwich

I also added some simple piano and synth parts, and vocals of course. Not much at all.
It's a great style, very versatile. I couldn't believe how good baritone guitar and mandolin sound together :-)

It's not really a country song, more like a folk-pop kind of thing. Not sure really, you decide. It's a relatively simple song as far as music and lyrics are concerned, it won't change the world of music for sure :-), but it's heartfelt. It's about some real life "moments" that me and my wife are facing right now. I don't know, maybe other people will see themselves in this song, who knows.

Here's the lyrics, if you're interested (very, very simple)

LET'S TALK ABOUT IT

I know you’re upset, I see it in your eyes, can we talk about it
You’ve been so quiet, This is not like you, why don’t we talk about it
Is it something I said, something I’ve done, do you wanna talk about it
Just give me your hand, and show me your smile, so we can talk about it

I know this is not the life I promised you
I know this is not how things should be
But if we stay together and believe in us
Our dreams will come true, and my dream is you

Why don’t we go out and enjoy our days, and we will sing about it
We can walk in the sun and dance in the rain, and then laugh about it
We can jump on a plane and sleep on the clouds, we can dream about it
Let’s forget our past and live for today, and tell the world about it

You know this is not the life I want for you
I know things will get much better soon
And if we stay together and believe in us
All our dreams will come true, and my only dream is you

We can laugh about it, we can dream about it

I know this is not the life I promised you
I know things will get much better soon
And if we stay together and believe in us
All our dreams will come true, and my only dream is you

Edited by Mr Micio (09/17/16 05:49 AM)

#365893 - 09/17/16 06:28 PM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: Jon Thomas]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

An enjoyable and sincere song with a catchy melody.
The production sounds clear to me and your vocal warm.
I know from my own efforts that its not as easy as it might seem to write a song for a partner- I hope your wife is tickled with this!

Robert

#365918 - 09/18/16 12:06 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Online   content
Expert

Loc: Finland
This is clearly the best song for this content so far, cheerful and positive pop song perfection smile
Very pleasant chord changes. And what a mix, drums and bass sound strong, your voice is clean and smooth, and those additional instruments, synths, strings and piano complement the listening experience. And the lyrics are really heartfelt, only a really cold-hearted person could resist the offer.
If I had to change something, I would give more emphasis to the chorus part, for example by using sidestick variation of the drums in the verses, I would also let the drums rest from 2:40 to 2:54 to let your voice really shine.
Maybe not a giant leap for the world of music but at least a semitone for me smile

Janne

#365920 - 09/18/16 12:12 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
I like the music behind "so we can talk about it"

good vocals and mix.
A nice message in the lyrics

enjoyed this a lot

Alyn

#365922 - 09/18/16 12:22 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: gibson]
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

Hey guys,
thank you very very much, you are way too kind ..
Janne, I especially thank you, you just made my day :-)
And thanks for the suggestions.
Indeed, I was thinking about changing the drums a little bit between chorus and verses, but I wanted to stick to the style as much as possible, since this contest is about the new BIAB styles, so I'm guessing that PG would like us to showcase how good and versatile these new styles are. But I'll probably experiment some more and see what happens.
thanks again!!!
Jo (Mr Micio)
PS I'm trying to change my "Mr Micio" forum name ... it's the name of my cat, don't know why I used :-)

#365923 - 09/18/16 12:22 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: North Yorkshire, England
receder Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Lovely song and production.

The vocals were smooth and reminded me a lot of Colin Blunstone (e.g. I don't believe in Miracles).

A very enjoyable listen.

Rec

#365936 - 09/18/16 06:31 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Great Pop feel throughout. A really top melody, easy to listen to, pleasant from start to finish.

Excellent vocals are the icing on the cake.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#366050 - 09/18/16 11:15 PM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Jo,

I really enjoyed this creation of yours. It's really well put together... fantastic melody, arrangement and performance. Those key changes add a great touch of class!

Regards,
Noel

P.S. If you're still trying to work out how to change your forum name, it's under "My Stuff | Edit Profile". The "Display Name" option is about halfway down the page.

#366055 - 09/19/16 12:00 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: Jon Thomas]
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

Thank you Noel,
you're very, very kind.
And thanks for the tip, I already submitted a request to change my nick, but it needs to be approved. No problem, I really love my cat anyway, so I can be him for a while :-)

#366067 - 09/19/16 03:42 AM [2016 & 2017 Xtra Styles Contests - Closed] Re: Let's Talk About It (COUNTRY category) [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Nice song. Your mix, arrangement and vocals are superb. I enjoyed my listen.

Charlie

Moderator:  Blake - PG Music 
PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29912 Members
61 Forums
59398 Topics
500900 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
livobase, bobkat, dennisroof00, derfeinehein, Giulio

29911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 206
Janice & Bud 148