You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#164605 - 07/03/12 12:48 PM [User Showcase] ReggaeBilly or something like that.....
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Maybe it's the 105-110 degree heat keeping us from playing outdoors, e.g., kayaking and mountain biking. Maybe it's being retired and having too much time on our hands. Whatever the reason my wife and I embarked upon an effort to take a song we performed for years in our bluegrass band and set it to a Reggae rhythm.

The tune is based on a 250 year old English murder ballad called Pretty Polly or The Gotsport Tragedy. There are literally 100's of verses and variants so we chose the ones to tell the story the way we envisioned it which also included re-writing several verses. We also changed the melody somewhat to make it work with the dramatically different rhythm. Needless to say, years of Bluegrass picking made this effort, to say the least, challenging as we had listened to but never arranged a Reggae tune.

We used the BIAB for Mac slow Reggae RealTracks package and added to it a solo fiddle and rhythm mandolin from RealTracks. Finally, I used a RealTracks solo guitar track for fills and the outro. All tracks are BIAB RealTracks with the exception of the vocal that was recorded in GarageBand via a Blue mic. Multiple versions of all the tracks "cut and spliced" for the final mix with the exception of the vocal that was done in one take. The mixing was done in Garageband and exported as an AIFF file that I converted to MP3 for this link.

We wanted to make the song sound as haunting and melancholy as are many of the folk and bluegrass versions. Variations of the tune have been recorded in "mountain modal" tuning with the banjo being the prominent instrument. To try and approximate this we tried sustained chords but ended up doing the song in Bbm. We rested the temptation to add chords as it has been performed for hundreds of years with just the two.

I figure all we'll end up accomplishing is POing both the Reggae and Bluegrass folks --- but what the heck it was fun or least it was after we got the hang of the Reggae rhythmic structure.

Pretty Polly - Click Here

If you are a musicologist here is a great history of the tune:
The Gotsport Tragedy

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#164606 - 07/03/12 01:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
A great vocal performance. Style fits perfect.

My Music

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#164607 - 07/03/12 08:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: PgFantastic]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Mootsman,

What a great arrangement and performance. This song is a credit to you both. It sparkles with professionalism on every possible level. The blues-meets-reggae worked incredibly well for me. I was engaged from start to stop.

Regards,
Noel

#164608 - 07/04/12 12:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Very enjoyable listen.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#164609 - 07/04/12 01:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Danny C.]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I just love your wife's voice! Very nice experiment, and danged if you didn't make it work! Don't worry about offending the Bluegrass or reggae communities... if Bela Fleck can merge banjo with jazz, classical and various world styles and get away with it, you're home free.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing more from you.

#164610 - 07/04/12 03:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
A very enjoyable piece! The two styles feel so right together; as if they've always been bedfellows. You've gone and invented a new genre - yes, 'Reggae Billy' why not! Nicely arranged and engineered too. Thanks for sharing.

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#164611 - 07/23/12 06:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: United Kingdom
Aubrey Offline
Apprentice

Loc: United Kingdom
I think that this is a brilliant fusion of styles - it works perfectly for me. Great vocals, arrangement and production! This is the best showcase song I have heard so far.

One question - what is the realtracks guitar soloist that you have used? (I can recognise most of the other instruments).

Once again - really enjoyable!

Regards, Aubrey

#164612 - 07/23/12 07:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Aubrey]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Thank all of you very much for your comments. It means a lot to us BIAB newbies.

Aubrey, the guitar track is Set 133 #1514 which is a Brent Mason slow country solo with the "bluesy" option. I moved some of the fills around during the mixing. I really struggled to find an electric guitar solo that I thought would work with the fiddle and not lose the melancholy feel that goes with the tune. I had originally tried a harmonics, a dobro and several other electric guitars but this one seemed to best fit the fusion notion. We are very pleased that you felt the same. Thanks for listening!

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#164613 - 07/23/12 07:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Two thumbs up here.

#164614 - 07/24/12 05:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Rob4580]
Loc: Sydney, Australia
pinglis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sydney, Australia
The blend of styles works really well (and yes I bet it was hard to pull off) but most importantly the lead vocal sells it magnificently.

#164615 - 07/24/12 09:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: pinglis]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Very interesting blend of styles. Works well. And of course, the vocals are stellar!

Steve

#164616 - 07/24/12 12:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Nashville, TN
Mandolin Mike Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nashville, TN
Totally mesmerizing. You guys are great!

#164617 - 07/25/12 01:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Mandolin Mike]
jptjptjpt Offline
Apprentice

I'm confused. I thought this one was all ready posted. I know I've heard it before (and saw a video too). What gives?

#164618 - 07/25/12 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: jptjptjpt]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I'm confused. I thought this one was all ready posted. I know I've heard it before (and saw a video too). What gives?

I started this thread several weeks ago with the initial posting of our song. A while later we created the video and I initiated a thread with the vid. Then several days ago a post was made to the original thread (this one) which brought it to the top. I apologize if I was incorrect in starting a new thread with the video rather than just adding it to this one - pretty new here and learning.

Edited by Mootsman (07/25/12 10:50 AM)

#164619 - 07/31/12 01:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
I really liked the vocal performance. Nice job.
I hope other folks pick up the raggae style. Really cool.
SD

#164620 - 08/01/12 05:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: SpaceDog]
Anthony Fabulous Offline
Enthusiast

Excellent through out.Sounds completely "natural" to me.Great job!
Regards,
Tony C

#164621 - 08/02/12 07:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Anthony Fabulous]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Heck Yeah Mon! Your wife shore has a great voice!

#164622 - 08/02/12 12:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Tommyc]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Mootsman,

Your right, this is a very sad song. Your wifes vocals
communicates this story very accurately.

The music is fantastic, but sad.
Could easily be used as soundtrack for a "Polly" movie.

So unusual and I agree with Skyline this "ReggaeBilly"
could easily be a new genre.

Edited by seeker (08/02/12 12:09 PM)

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#164623 - 10/04/12 04:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: seeker]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

I just finished a remix which is hopefully the final mix of this tune. I added some effects to "round out" the bass for more of a classic Reggae sound and I also made some slight modifications to the drum track. I also made some changes to my wife vocal -- mainly adding a bit more compression. Perhaps not enough to warrant another listen but I did want to mention it. As always comments regarding the mix, arrangements, choice of realtracks, etc., are both solicited and appreciated. I'm here to learn.

PRETTY POLLY

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#164624 - 10/05/12 09:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: ReggaeBilly or something like that..... [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Massachusetts
BruceI Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Massachusetts
Wow, a very cool re-imagining of this traditional tune. The styles do blend quite nicely and the vocal is top-notch.

I just got my BIAB ultra package a few days ago, so I now have all the available RT styles, an embarrassment of riches. One of the first things I started to play with was a reggae reworking of an old countryish song of mine (I first tested this out with a reggae style in ChordBot on my iPod Touch). Now I will have to see if I can mash up some parts from other styles. This forum is very inspiring!

Thanks for sharing!

-Bruce

PG Music News
Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Special Extended!

The verdict is in, and everyone agrees that Xtra Styles PAK 7 is incredible!

There are 164 unbelievable new RealStyles that await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some surprising new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

The possibilities seem endless with these fully-produced styles, like atmospheric folk, Western swing chicken pickin', dreamy Southern rock, smooth jazz with world percussion, Brazilian samba, acoustic grunge, and '90s R&B. We've even included two great new MultiStyles that use up to eight substyles! Do yourself a favor and take home this comprehensive and imaginative collection of styles today!

SPECIAL EXTENDED!!! Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until October 31st! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here.

Mac user? You'll find your Xtra Styles PAKs here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 309 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac customers can download the latest FREE patch update here.

Summary of changes for Build 309:
Fixed: The Chord Builder is disabled if previously opened before using a modal dialog (eg. Style Picker, Set Tempo).
Fixed: The program might crash when selecting RealTracks in the Best RealTracks dialog (eg. #2541).
Fixed: Wrong notes in Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.
Improved: Higher dots-per-inch printing.
Added: [Print Chords Only] button added to the Print Options dialog.

EXTENDED! Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Ends October 31st!

You haven't missed our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special, which has been extended to October 31st!

There's still time to purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade at up to 50% off, and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

Plus, our latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 Build 2 Update Available!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 users can download the FREE Build 2 patch update here

Summary of Changes in Build 2:
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.
Fixed: Loading in a MusicXML file could result in MIDI notes of zero instead of the currect MIDI notes.
Fixed: Dragging a file into the tracks window didn't always result in the effects slot for the track being setup properly for the file type dragged in.
Fixed: When inserting hard rest, and answering Yes to question about removing notes for the peg, it would remove notes from both clefs instead of the clef that the rest was inserted on.
Fixed: Potential access violation when deleting a note in staff window.
Fixed: Potential jukebox access violation if there were songs with the entire path of the filename being 256 characters or greater loaded into jukebox.
Fixed: Jukebox not playing the playlist in correct order in certain situations involving stopping/restarting, etc.
Fixed: When loading in a MusicXML file that has a specific guitar fretboard defined that matches one of our fretboards, the guitar tablature type will now be set for the notation.
Fixed: Ability to load in .MXL (compresssed musicXML file) as well as ability to load normal noncompressed musicXML file with the new .musicxml extension instead of just .XML.
Fixed: Hammer ons, pull offs, and slides are now being saved to MusicXML files.
Fixed: Exceptionally jittery timing indicator in the notation window during playback compared to older versions of RealBand.
Fixed: If the start of a generated section of a song didn't have a chord entered at the beginning of the section, then it could default to a C major chord instead of the most recent chord prior to the section.
Fixed: Potential access violation if song has micro-pegs and multiple notes on a peg.
Fixed: Accidental element that specified whether a note was displayed as sharp/flat wasn't eing saved to XML, even though the correct pitch of the note itself was saved.

RealBand 2019 Build 5 Update Available!

All RealBand 2019 for Windows customers can download the latest FREE patch update (build 5) here.

Summary of Changes in Build 5 (Oct 10)
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for macOS Catalina

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac we added Drum Notation Support, and we didn't stop there! Other Notation Enhancements added in this new version are:

-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-Holding down the control key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-In the Notation Window Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-Notation is much clearer, not jagged, on retina screens.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-There is a keystroke entry mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, M to enter a third note, up/down cursor to change the pitch of the highlighted note, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

Read more about the Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac here. Watch this feature 'in action' with our new features video - jump to this topic when you click here.

...and don't forget - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac upgrades are ON SALE until October 15th, up to 50% off! Order now!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - Special Ends October 15th!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special is almost over! The special ends on October 15th - until then, save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade... and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

It's a GREAT time to order your upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, which is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our packages page for all the purchase options available.

Forum Stats
30231 Members
62 Forums
60219 Topics
508162 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
TheHoffs, briart, Joe Kingston, r3g1na15, TSK

30230 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 176
Noel96 148