Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
I need your help BIAB users. For those of you who rely heavly on MIDI and virtual insturment, I need to know how you get them to sound as realistic as possible. I know that the instrument will never sound like an acutal instrument play by a musician, but I would to be proficient with MIDI so when in times I need to create specific part, I can make theme feel realisitic. Thank you and God Bless.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Veteran
Veteran
Islansoul,

The secrets to getting great sounding midi instruments are...

1. Using a first class source of midi sounds. I have Miroslav Philharmonik, Dimension Pro and Garritan. These are good enough for me given how little I use midi. I haven't yet been able to justify spending the extra money on the EastWest sound libraries (which are brilliant).

2. Realistic sounding midi also comes from having notes suitably programmed with articulations that shape the sound in the same way that a live player would shape it. This is particularly true with instruments like Trumpet, Sax, Trombone, Violin, etc. For instruments that don't have too much individual-note shaped articulation such as Piano, Organ, Oboe, etc., midi usually sounds really good without too much fiddling around.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Realistic Midi.... almost an oxymoron.

But, depending on the instrument, how well you understand how to program midi, and knowing the nuances a real musician who plays a given instrument would use... and having really great, sampled, sounds...... it's possible.

Drums, bass, and piano tend to be the easier to use and make sound real. Woodwinds, and brass, and stringed stuff like guitar ..... not so much.

BUT.... technology is improving all the time and there are some great sounding sample libraries on the market. Just don't expect to get a really good sounding sample library on the lower end of the cost spectrum. The good stuff costs money....and generally, lots of it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Islansoul,

I have been working with MIDI for about 30 years now. Thus the advice that I will give is based on my experiences as well as cost. Since you didn't specify what your limits are I will cover the good to excellent sound sources and equipment needed to make MIDI sound realistic. You will also need to listen to the instrument you want to emulate , pick up the nuances of that instrument then find the MIDI control called a CC number that best adds that nuance.

1-Horns and wind instruments: to get realistic sounding monophonic wind instruments you will need one of the following, a wind controller, a breath controller or software that uses the mod wheel for volume. I use an Akai USB wind controller but for you that means learning another instrument.

In your situation I would use a breath controller like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRTaudio-Breath-Controller-Complete-Set-Compatible-yamaha-BC-Series-V2-/131575713438?rmvSB=true

or a program that uses the mod wheel (CC1) for volume. Garritan's programs are the best bet here.

If your keyboard does not have a 5 pin MIDI in then you will need a 5 pin to USB adapter like this

https://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-male-adapter-cable/dp/B00JGZZCOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476495135&sr=8-1&keywords=5+pin+midi+to+usb

2- Any instrument that does not have pitch bends or vibrato will sound good with MIDI with little input. These include piano, bells, vibes, drums, organs etc.

As Noel indicated the best MIDI programs cost the most money. If there is a low cost ceiling then Garritan's programs are a great start. I have both the Jazz & Big Band and the Personal Orchestra from Garritan and they are great programs, as is Miroslav Philharmonik and Dimension Pro.

The better all encompassing programs include Kontakt, SampleTank 3, and others. I have Kontakt and it is my go to program for sounds however it is expensive plus I have purchased a lot of third party patches for it. Others here have more experience with SampleTank 3 which is also on the expensive side. Both of these programs go on sale periodically so keep watching for that.

The best sounding but also more costly are the individual programs. Samplemodeling has the best sax and other wind instruments. I have the sax one and it is the most realistic sounding sax emulation that I have ever heard. I also have East West's Symphonic Chorus. I would stay away from East West's programs until you have a working knowledge of MIDI. Their Play, the program needed to run their programs, is a PITA.

To summarize sounds I would go like this:
First to purchase -Garritan Personal Orchestra and/or Jazz & Big Band, Miroslav Philharmonik, or Dimension Pro. Note I do not know if Dimension Pro is available for a Mac.

Next and all encompassing program like Kontakt or SampleTank

Then finally after you have some MIDI experience some individual programs like I listed above.

I hope this helps and if you need anymore info or help feel free to ask.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
The amount of work behind the scenes needed to get MIDI to sound real is astounding. Nuances and inflections are hard to program accurately so that the track sounds completely natural and organic.

You also need to use a good sample set. The minimum entry level IMHO is Kontakt. It is at the bottom of the list for a "professional" level sample library. Kontakt is $400 by itself. The better libraries will easily run into the thousands of dollars each. Some of the manufacturers have started breaking their libraries down into less costly modules. Piano... brass...strings....orchestral...choirs...percussion... etc.....to make them more affordable to the folks with limited discretionary funds. Check out the East/West Quantum collection. The modules are several hundred dollars each, but you can buy and pay for exactly what you need without having to buy a very expensive all encompassing library. And talk about some good sounding instruments. I have a version of the E/W collection. Really nice stuff.

I see lots of ads and notices about other sample libraries on sale for around $100 (approx pricing)...and yes, I have Garritan and Miroslav and some others..... but they are not anywhere near as good as they need to be to get a realistic sound that fools the professionals.

For home & hobby recording... GPO and Miroslav are just fine and sound good.... so please don't misinterpret my comments as being down on the lower priced samples.

my 2 cents worth

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Islansoul,

I think you've asked a great question and you've gotten some interesting and enlightening responses.

Like you, I am just beginning my midi journey. I know midi directed music can sound as good as instrument played music but more often than not midi music sounds like ... are you ready for this, midi music!

I believe realistic midi directed music requires an understanding of the use of midi commands, an understanding of how musicians play their instrument of choice, a midi controller you feel comfortable with to input midi commands, proficiency with a midi sequencer and last professional quality instrument patches.

What's the difference between CC1, CC7 and CC11? Maybe you don't know but you need to and the people that write about midi assume you do know! If I write the same question a different way it becomes obvious. What's the difference between CC1 (modulation), CC7 (Volume) and CC11 (Expression)? (++ Bob Norton's website ++ and ++ MIDI.ORG ++ are two good places to look for a chart that lists midi commands. Midi.org has a forum and other resources for beginners. You need to know midi as well as you know how to play music.

Do you know the notes to "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"? Using that song as an example, think about how the song would be played by (1) a guitar player (2) a banjo player (3) a saxophone player (4) a trumpet player (5) violin player (6) fiddle player. Each musician would play the song in a different manner, even the violin versus fiddle players. How would they attack the notes, use vibrato, sustain and release the notes? While you may not play all these instruments you should be able to envision each musician playing the song on their instrument so you can emulate their song playing.

There are a lot of midi controllers that emulate playing an instrument. In my opinion your first midi controller should emulate your most proficient instrument. The simple reason is you want to learn how to input midi and not the mechanics of an instrument you're not familiar with. There are also midi controllers that don't emulate ANY physical instrument but may prove useful if you don't play an instrument. In that case get a controller that makes the most sense to you, that you believe you can quickly understand how to use it.

In my opinion applications that began as midi applications typically have better midi support than applications that provide midi as an add-on. That puts Band-in-a-Box at the top of the list. Cakewalk's applications began as midi only. There are several midi only sequencers available on the internet. Whatever midi sequencer you choose get REALLY familiar with what it is capable of doing and how to do it.

Last on my list of got-to-haves are professional quality (substitute the word expensive for professional in most cases) instrument voices. In addition to sounds, many have interfaces that can automate instrument nuances or offer midi loops created by professional musicians. However, the truth is if you can create a good and realistic midi sequence driving the Microsoft GS wavetable it will sound great using any other instrument.

Your first step HAS TO BE knowing what each midi command does. Know that and you will be much more comfortable using midi.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
In addition to spending literally thousands for pro level sound libraries you have to also be a pro level player.

When you listen to online demos of these products they were done by really good players. The kind of folks who would be very comfortable in a recording studio.

If you're not that good then who's going to play the midi instrument for you? A wind controller needs someone who's a good sax player already. A midi keyboard needs someone who is very skilled already.

The reason I say this is you can't take a prerecorded midi track for example that is close but not exactly what you want and simply edit it. If there was any decent feeling in the original track, editing it changes that dramatically. Now you're spending hours, days, years (?) trying to manipulate the CC's to try to get that feeling back. A good player simply plays the part. If he's using a good midi controller all that nuanced info is recorded and embedded into the midi file.

I watch a lot of vids about this stuff. DAW vids are especially good for this because a lot of DAW work is based on midi. The people doing the vids are almost always really good players and they make it sound soooo good. They'll say they don't like this version of a track so they'll play another version and it sounds great. Doesn't mean you can do that unless you're equally good. Here's a few examples:

Guitar playing Spectrasonics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhqYsoIeBQ

Keyboard playing Trillian bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1toLihZkDs

Wind controller playing a Yamaha Tyros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_w7AW7jPU

Garritan demo using four keyboards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTee0M-CjHc

If you can play like these guys, you too can make midi sound great.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
You can always create your songs with whatever synth you currently have. You'll have the midi programmed in to your songs for the most part. Then as your budget allows you can easily upgrade your instruments.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I haven't read all the posts here, but I will just say I use Kontakt with key switches to get the get what I can't get in BB/RB.
Another way you can try is RiffStation https://riffstation.com/buy-or-download/ there is a Mac demo version.

Select Riff Builder, drag a realtrack in from the realtrack folder, they are all in the different keys.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Personally I've given up on creating midi parts. There are some good midi samples around for drums, piano and bass. Nothing else sounds anywhere near realistic enough and I have some Kontakt instruments.

Realtracks are the future for sampled music and that is why I'm such a huge fan of BIAB. The best alternative is to do a session with a real musician. You'd buy a lot of bespoke sessions for the cost of a decent midi library.

I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
In addition to spending literally thousands for pro level sound libraries you have to also be a pro level player.

When you listen to online demos of these products they were done by really good players. The kind of folks who would be very comfortable in a recording studio.

If you're not that good then who's going to play the midi instrument for you? A wind controller needs someone who's a good sax player already. A midi keyboard needs someone who is very skilled already.

The reason I say this is you can't take a prerecorded midi track for example that is close but not exactly what you want and simply edit it. If there was any decent feeling in the original track, editing it changes that dramatically. Now you're spending hours, days, years (?) trying to manipulate the CC's to try to get that feeling back. A good player simply plays the part. If he's using a good midi controller all that nuanced info is recorded and embedded into the midi file.

I watch a lot of vids about this stuff. DAW vids are especially good for this because a lot of DAW work is based on midi. The people doing the vids are almost always really good players and they make it sound soooo good. They'll say they don't like this version of a track so they'll play another version and it sounds great. Doesn't mean you can do that unless you're equally good. Here's a few examples:

Guitar playing Spectrasonics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhqYsoIeBQ

Keyboard playing Trillian bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1toLihZkDs

Wind controller playing a Yamaha Tyros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_w7AW7jPU

Garritan demo using four keyboards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTee0M-CjHc

If you can play like these guys, you too can make midi sound great.

Bob

So Bob, if I want my tracks to sound real, I need to play the tracks myself? What if I don't play the instrument. Can't I step sequence the notes and edited it myself?

music producer/engineer
I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
Guys, before you mention realband, note that I own a mac, and will never switch to a PC.

music producer/engineer
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
Guys, before you mention realband, note that I own a mac, and will never switch to a PC.

Don't they have a program for Mac that lets it run Windows programs?

You really might want to consider a small laptop running windows just for accessing the abilities of Real Band and it's ability to generate real tracks..... just export them as waves and any DAW on a Mac can use them.

www.herbhartley.com

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You can find great midi files on the internet but can't always learn about the composer.

David (DW) Barnes has been around for years and is an expert midi programmer best known for his Beatle song midi files.

He explains how he programs midi although he does not personally play keyboards.

How DW Barnes programs MIDI

Here is how one of his midi files looks opened in BIAB Chord Chart -

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
oh darling.JPG (192.48 KB, 241 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Islansoul

So Bob, if I want my tracks to sound real, I need to play the tracks myself? What if I don't play the instrument. Can't I step sequence the notes and edited it myself?

Playing them yourself is the best way however you can take a MIDI file and edit it to your liking. OR you can step sequence the notes and edit them also. When doing any MIDI track the object is to make the track as close as the actual instrument you are trying to emulate using CC messages. In other words do not keep it static (notes only).

PS - I edit BiaB MIDI files all the time.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
You need good libraries and good controllers. This breath controller for example allows you to control 4 parameters while leaving your hands free to play. And your feet can additionally be used with pedals.

http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-bite-controller-2

Mike Verta also has great videos and tips:

Veteran
Veteran
This thread is worth reviving so here goes,

Charlie's post touched on, but did not specifically say that an excellent way to learn how to create good sounding midi tracks is to learn by studying good sounding midi tracks created by others.

Find a good sounding midi sequence of a song you REALLY like because you'll be listening to it a lot. A really good midi sequence sounds good no matter what sound module it is played on be it your cell phone, computer default midi sound module or whatever. It may not sound like the original but it will sound good.

Import the midi file into Band-in-a-Box or a DAW that has a midi sequencer and piano roll view or PRV.

Find a few bars where one instrument stands out. Use the midi sequencer and PRV to view the commands or events sent out to the instrument channel for those few bars. How did the song author use volume, modulation, expression, note duration to make those few bars sound so good? When you can make a few bars sound good on any sound module think about how great the song will sound with a good sound module.

As Charlie implied the midi sequences performed by David Barnes are top notch and good ones to study. His website is +++ HERE +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Tune 1000 has created some of the best MIDI files I have come across and they also include the lyrics complete in sync with the music.
As you point out a great sequence sounds good with almost any synth now days, but when used with high end samples they really sound great.

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
This thread is worth reviving so here goes,

Find a good sounding midi sequence of a song you REALLY like because you'll be listening to it a lot. A really good midi sequence sounds good no matter what sound module it is played on be it your cell phone, computer default midi sound module or whatever. It may not sound like the original but it will sound good. ...

Jim GREAT point

It is completely analogous to having and KNOWING at least a handful of your favorite (and maybe not favorite) REFERENCE songs/LP's to mix and master audio against.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have taken somewhat of a hybrid approach:

1. I have pretty much eliminated brass and woodwinds from my arrangements as I have yet to hear really convincing midi originated sounds.

2. I got so frustrated trying to find convincing midi and samples for bass guitar that about 15 years ago I decided I just had to learn how to play. This was one of the most satisfying decisions I have ever made in my music hobby. As an existing guitar player it wasn’t a huge leap. Should have done this sooner but no regrets whatsoever.

3. Drums. After years of frustrating keyboard entry and grid entry. I sprung for Jamstix. Big step up in realism but still not what I was hoping for. 2 years ago, I bought EZDrummer 2 and I haven’t looked back and have never been disappointed with the results. Incredibly realistic. Excellent tweak ability. Easy to use.

I play all my keys and guitar parts and avoid quantizing if I can stand what I’ve played.

Scott

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195