Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
Veteran
I think the best way to lower prices is to have other cable companies compete for your dollar. Were we live we can only have one cable company, Time Warner or whatever it is called now. Our government should break up these large cable monopolies and allow competition. Dish and Satellite TV are not equal competition here as snow and rain will mess up the signal.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I agree that competition is good. We have a couple Telcos here in Canada that are competing for your hard earned money, but the problem is they're also undermining their loyal customers. They will bend over backwards for new customers, and will try to show loyalty to customers who have been with them for a long time, but this also causes a bad thing in that customers will often switch back and forth every few months to get the "new customer promotion".

Shaw's doing something right in adding exclusivity, but the prices are way too high. For Internet 30, I have to pay $73 dollars per month. That is atrocious, especially when I started work there a few years before it was $55 for Internet 25.

Infrastructure costs a lot of money, but the prices are getting so high that eventually no one will be able to afford it and it will crash. Internet is definitely something everyone needs, though.

Thanks,

Mathew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mat - PG Music
Infrastructure costs a lot of money, but the prices are getting so high that eventually no one will be able to afford it and it will crash. Internet is definitely something everyone needs, though.

The problem is all the carriers now use fiberoptic cables in all the metro areas and fiberoptic carries everything. Your internet, TV and phone. It's the same infrastructure costs which is why the bundles are cheaper than trying to separate internet from TV from your landline phone. I'm sure that's not true everywhere but for the most part it is.

What that leaves for us wannabe cord cutters is to dump all of it and just try to find the cheapest internet and live with it. Or not.

It's really ridiculous now with all the consolidation. Here in the States Verizion Fios was the big dog and they just sold out to Frontier. Verizon is only wireless now.

Time Warner just sold out to Spectrum right when I was going to see what I could do with TWC vs Frontier. Seriously, it's like we can't move fast enough to try to get anything cheaper.

I'm sure you're too young to remember the classic Bob Newhart comedy albums from the 60's. This was long before he became a TV star. He had a bit about low cost airlines. It was about taking a flight with the Mrs Grace L Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company. That airline was a little light on amenities like seats...

It was hysterical and that's about what I'm feeling like now.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow. I barely finished writing the above on Friday when the news says AT&T concluded a deal to buy Time Warner for almost 85 billion.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/10/22/at-t-time-warner-deal-start-new-media-industry-consolidation.html

I kinda doubt for that kind of money they're going to separate all this stuff out to make it more affordable like we've been talking about. Who knows though? This article talks about it's a way to consolidate because of all the younger cord cutters who want to watch streaming content on their mobile devices.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Haha yeah I heard about the TW acquisition, and thought about this e-mail thread!

A la carte won't happen in the states unless enough people get the FCC to change the rules. Unfortunately, we won't go into the whole idea of lobbying as we know what's going on there.

I hope things change over there as well.

Thanks,

Mathew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Didn't Time Warner merge with another large cable provider earlier this year?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Didn't Time Warner merge with another large cable provider earlier this year?

Jim, this from Wikipedia...

Time Warner was formed in 1990 through the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications. The current company consists largely of the assets of the former Warner Communications, as well as HBO (a Time Inc. subsidiary prior to the Warner merger) and the assets of Turner Broadcasting (acquired in 1996). Time Warner currently has major operations in film and television, with a limited amount of publishing operations. Among its assets are Home Box Office, Turner Broadcasting System, The CW Television Network, Warner Bros., CNN, DC Comics, and as of August 2016, it owns 10% of Hulu.

In the past, other major divisions of Time Warner included Time Inc., AOL, Time Warner Cable, Warner Books, and Warner Music Group. All of these operations were either sold to other investors or spun off as independent companies between 2004 and 2014.

On October 22, 2016, AT&T announced its intent to acquire Time Warner for $85 billion.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's very interesting article about how ESPN just lost 650,000 subscribers:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-29/

Parts of this is pretty technical but there's good tidbits of info here too. Like HBO is now selling their service separately for $15 per month and it talks about some other services too.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I get a "page not found - 404 error" when I tried the link.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hmm, so did I just now. I just did a search using "ESPN loses subscribers" and it popped up again.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-29/hbo-killed-cable-bundle-and-espn-latest-victim

Moving on to something else I just found this:

https://www.playon.tv/

I just read about this on PC World. It looks pretty slick as far as replacing a cable box DVR is concerned. I had initially talked about using Windows Media Center as my DVR which is no longer available in Win 10. Playon might be one good way to get that functionality back.

Bob

Veteran
Veteran

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good one, thanks Janice!

Bob

Veteran
Veteran

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This is very interesting, read over their website, still have a few questions. I would suppose streaming quality is dependent on your internet speed, bandwidth, and router capabilities (QoS, MIMO, MMS etc). I'm still confused on how they make money. Other than the cost of the unit itself, they apparently have no revenue stream. Who is paying for the access fees?

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
"Who is paying for the access fees?"

Interesting question. I can think of lots of ways it *could* work, but can't really think of one that would meet the intent of laws .. I suppose finding a loophole may work for a while.
Still, I am intrigued ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I used MajicJack to replace my land line.. paid a one-time fee for the device, and I've had free phone service for the past 4 years... including long distance calling. I have to assume that their income stream is for the device itself.

Likewise, there are apparently laws that treat streaming differently than downloading. If you search for something on the device, and it can find it and stream it to you.. there might not BE any access fees.

My concern is that I'll spend the fee for the device, then some law will change and it will become a useless hunk o' junk. It would have to be viable for quite a while to offset the price of Netflix or Hulu.

But... it's the ONLY solution I've read about that includes sports, and pretty much everything else.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Muvibox sure sounds like the old Napster. The key is what's the source of the programming? No way it could be legal. How could they possibly tap into the Discovery Channel or the NBA's live stream and just reroute it to you for free? I mention those two specifically because recent Discovery Channel shows or live home games are not available legally anywhere.

Seems like there needs to be a third party pirate hiding somewhere...or it's not really free.

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow, things are moving fast. This is about AT&T's DirecTV Now service.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/11/29/review-at-ts-directv-now-not-ready-for-prime-time.html

Bob

Journeyman
Journeyman
I cut the cord about a year ago. I had been paying AT&T U-verse $150/month for about 200 channels of crap and I could never find anything I wanted to watch!

we also have AT&T for internet - I increased our download plan to 50Mbps and dropped UVerse, bought an antenna to pick up local broadcasts, subscribed to Hulu and Amazon prime and I'm still saving nearly $100/month!

there are some things that we miss, but not enough to pay $100/month more!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195