Print Thread
Go To
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
(Wow, my third post in a row).

Hey, everyone. I've been working my way through the Real Book at my teacher's suggestion to work on shells and extensions, but - and this is probably going to sound lame - I don't know any of the songs. I probably know maybe 25 of the songs in the entire book. I'm playing with a big band but I see it as a stepping stone. It's not what I want to be doing.

Part of the reason I switched from the piano to the guitar is because I fell into the trap of playing jazz ballads. They're easy to play and hide behind the damper pedal, but I never listen to jazz. I'd much rather learn how to play the guitar like Stevie Ray Vaughan (my hero), and other pop tunes.

Is there such a thing as a fake book for modern rock/blues? I don't mean one from the 1940s. I'm in a strange position because I understand a ton of music theory and have played the piano pretty much my whole life, but not how I really want to play. Are there books that can help me transition from My Funny Valentine to Superstition? smile

Doogie

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: doogiet
I'd much rather learn how to play the guitar like Stevie Ray Vaughan (my hero), and other pop tunes.

Is there such a thing as a fake book for modern rock/blues? I don't mean one from the 1940s. I'm in a strange position because I understand a ton of music theory and have played the piano pretty much my whole life, but not how I really want to play. Are there books that can help me transition from My Funny Valentine to Superstition? smile

Doogie

From where it sounds like you are currently at in your guitar journey, I highly recommend Blues Guitar Unleashed However, if you are just looking for song books then Justin Sandercoe has hundreds of song lessons for free and also sells printed song books.

Band-in-a-Box PlusPAK Upgrade (2018) on Windows 10
Live instruments: Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Fender Mustang III v2.
doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Okay, I'll give this a look. Thanks. smile

Doug

Veteran
Veteran
There are very few shortcuts to great Blues guitar. Actually seeing a great player is still the best method sitting across from the teacher while watching their hands.

Our own Eric Blackman has some excellent tutorials on YouTube. I simply searched "learn blues guitar" a found scores of free sites.

Also, visit the website of your favorite guitarist, they normally link you to great learning sites.

Don

PS: It's been quoted that our fingers also have excellent memories. You may consciously forget a tune that you had played years earlier but your fingers won't forget.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
When I teach my students to play the blues I start with the Am pentatonic scale in the 5th position:

http://www.coniferguitar.com/Scales_for_guitar/page16/Am_pentatonic_scale_guitar.html

Put the chords in either a simple 12 or 16 bar blues in BiaB, pick a blues style, I suggest a slow blues at first, in the key of A then jam along with it.

You can stay entirely in the Am pentatonic 5th position scale for the entire chorus or you can move up to the Dm and Em pentatonic positions. Practice blending the D to an E as well as the G to an A. Prebends work well also. Just use your ears!

If you know theory then you know that you can use the same Am pentatonic fingering starting on the B, 7th fret, and the E, 12th fret while jamming over an A chord. These will give you various extensions of the A chord.

Once you get a handle on this then change the chords to 7th and/or 9th chords.

Don't worry if you don't get it right away, just keep playing. If you ever land on a bad note just remember that the right notes are either one fret up or down.

Have fun and I hope this helps.

PS - watch as many different blues players as possible and see where they are blending notes, adding vibrato, pull offs and hammer ons then try to emulate them.

Note there are books/vids out there that can teach you where to put your fingers but no book can teach you feelings. That comes from the heart.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Very well stated, dear friend.

doogiet Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Wow, great advice. I'll try this today. smile

I
Expert
Expert
I
I love jazz, but I guess not everyone can. Take a listen to this song for a jazzy rock sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3s3dne0d8Q.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Journeyman
Journeyman
I second justin sandercoe for breadth of knowledge. His website has something for everybody. Even after 40 years of playing I find stuff on his site.

I hear your pain. I never got really excited about learning a bunch of pop tunes from the 40's and 50's. Who really wants to play Autumn Leaves?

Although not a blues guy one player who really opened my eyes on the guitar is Bill Frisell. Specifically his notions of what to add to the repertoire. He seems to be willing to take many more modern pop/rock/folk/blues tunes and work out jazz arrangements of them.
For example, how many instrumental versions of Dylan's "Masters of War" can you think of?

Listen to the blues greats. Over and over again.
Eventually you will begin to find pieces of their licks on the guitar.

Then you can find your own voice

Remember, even Stevie Ray played Kenny Burrell (Chitlin's Con Carne).

Here's great blues tune by one of the greatest blues/jazz guitar players of all time. Well, maybe its just me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQyHxVTXVrM

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
No Mrgeeze it is not just you. Kenny Burrel is one of my favorite jazz/blues players.
I really liked it when he teamed up with Jimmy Smith on the B3. Blues for Dell is another great one to listen to for jazz/blues players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9Vq_yzBag

{edit} typo

Last edited by MarioD; 07/30/16 01:03 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
marioD,
Kindred spirits I think we are.
I love the B-3 stuff he did with Jimmy Smith.
Pretty much anything on a B-3 (Booker T, Santana, Meters, Allman Bros,Joey D., Jack McDuff)i dig.

Booker T's recent outing "Potato Hole" is pretty listenable. A bit heavier than the original MG's funk (Neil Young has a way on the guitar) but still some catchy melodies.

Another lesser well known guitar guy who knocks me out was Freddy Robinson.
He recorded a couple of albums back in the 70's with John Mayall.
One of them was called Jazz Blues Fusion.
I wore that vinyl out way back when. Still listen to the CD(mp3).

He has some of the tastiest solos I have ever heard on a guitar on that album. The cascades of notes are just beautiful. Worth checking out.
His other albums I have found don't seem to have the same punch to it. Maybe he just had a little more time to stretch out on the Mayall stuff.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mario, good call on Kenny Burrell and Blues For Del!

Grant Green was also a great jazz/blues player. Here's one of my fav's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvthzbBFCmE

Frank

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Mrgeeze yes I think that we are kindred spirits! I also love all B3 stuff. Jimmy Smith is one of my favorites and I have a lot of his vinyl as well as a his Retrospective boxed CD set.

In fact back in the mid-late 60's I was in a trio consisting of guitar, drums and a B3. Scott, our B3 player, had bass pedals thus we didn't need a bass player. Scott and I played in bands from those times until about 15 years ago. I still see him about twice a year as he lives in Florida and I live in New York State.

I'll have to check my old John Mayall Vinyl as I bet I have heard Freddy Robinson. The name does ring a bell.

PS - I'm glad those B3 days are over (Scott changed to synths around 1970). The sound was great but moving all that stuff got old, and heavier, fast!

[edit] - typo

Last edited by MarioD; 08/02/16 06:21 AM.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Frank, good call on Grant Green. I have his Retrospective boxed CD set. He changed the way guitarist used chords. He was a master.

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
If you want to learn none-for-note SRV, then buy one of the many Tabbed books out there. Many players begin this way, then use their own initiative, imagination and hard work to develop their own--but related-improvisational style.

Cheaper--and probably better--would be to work out the chord progressions to a song that interests you. (BIAB and the internet will help you if you're not sure.) Play along with the record, and learn to listen to what's being played. You play the rhythm first, then bit by bit use the theory you know to approximate SRV's fills and solos. The internet is full of tabs. Some are very good, most are ok and lots are lousy.

To get a feel for basic blues styles (but not actual songs that you know), the PG Music Blues guitar courses with Danny Casavant are easy to use and very helpful.

John

L
Expert
Expert
L
SRV is very hard for a beginner. First he tuned to Eb with very heavy strings, then also he used a kind of rotary action with his right hand which makes for very complex rhythmic patterns. Not that I could play anything of his note for note. It's a bit like taking on Jimi Hendrix or Van Halen.

I would suggest listening to some older blues players and building up your skills. My personal favourite would be the late, great, Freddy King. As a general move it's good to start adding in jazz extensions into your playing. Mickey Backer had a great series of books but they're probably 60 years old now.

There are many other great books and of course Youtube. If I were you, I would start to learn solos and songs from recordings. Years ago I learned the solo to Johnny Be Goode. I still use it. There's a link that I put on this site to a really ancient recording of a series of lesson by Kenny Burrell that is absolutely soaked in wisdom and approaches.

It sounds like maybe you're ready to move away from scales and patterns to listening to what you play and making up your own melodies. As Kenny Burrell says, sing, whistle or hum short melodies and then play them. If you find that too hard, learn to replicate nursery rhymes, Xmas carols, folk tunes etc, in different positions and on different combinations of strings on your guitar. Great for ear training.

Finally, don't just mess about. Pick one thing and practice. That makes for fast development. I spent a month on bar chords and cracked it. The same with scales and modes. Then I wasted 15 years playing what I knew - wasting time essentially.

Absolutely finally, try to always play with a metronome. Nobody seems to, but I believe it will save you 5-10 years of playing out of time and being useless in a band situation. Just my thoughts....... eek smile cool

Last edited by lambada; 10/20/16 11:23 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
^^^^^^^^^^

Some very good advice lambada, especially practicing with a metronome to get your timing tight and singing, then learning how to play melodies for ear training.

When I first started playing lead back in the late 60s/early 70s tab hadn't been invented yet, and there were no books that taught you how to play rock/blues. No lessons either where I lived, except for classical stuff.

My hero at the time was Clapton, but he was way beyond what I was capable of. It wasn't until I heard Albert King that I felt I was getting someplace, he was playing slow enough so that I could figure out his licks, and over the period of a couple of months I learned by ear every solo from his "King of Blues Guitar" album. Which of course is a pretty good lesson in the blues scale played in different positions on the neck. Plus once I learned those licks as Albert played them, I would recognize the same licks when Clapton or others played them.

Albert King, in my opinion, is a better guy to start learning the blues from than Freddie King, his style is a little easier to learn. SRV used tons of licks from Albert BTW.

A couple of other early blues guys to listen to/learn from that are not that hard to figure out: Otis Rush and Magic Sam.

Expert
Expert
I think every guitar player could benefit by The Edge a good listen. I say that because he does not try to dazzle with technique, instead works a style that provides an element of distinction to the band without being overbearing. My favorite U2 songbook was "Rattle and Hum."

One of the roadblocks is that breaking out the guitar track is something you are on your own. The Lenrd Skynrd song books tend to do a good job of notating the guitar work.

I wish I had paid more attention to tabs in the past. I had no way of knowing, back then, that the internet was going to blow the tab scene wide open. Chordie is a good place to start, but sure you could turn up plenty of tab material. There are guys who do little more than tab solos for a hobby.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,580
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200