You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#371984 - 10/28/16 11:18 AM [User Showcase] 1972
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Most of us (on this forum) grew up in a totally different world.
This song looks back to that time.
To what the world was when we were coming of age...
We watched a TV with only 3 channels. Only recently in color.
Our telephone was attached to the kitchen wall or sat on a living room table. It had a cord.
Think 1969...'70...'71...'72...
Remember?

My memories are of small-town America.
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania...
...where, on Saturday night, we hung out at "the dance" at the downtown YMCA.
In the basement. The club was called "The Fire".
(luckily, there never was a fire, because, as far as I know, the only way out was the crowded, cramp stairway).
Blacklight posters (and blacklights) everywhere. Local bands that played "last year's songs"...
The Stones, some Beatles, "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'", "All Right Now", "Come And Get It", "Lola"...
A LOT of Creedence. 'Cause EVERYONE could play Creedence...

And here's an aside...
One of the guys in one of those bands, playing at The Fire, was our own Pat Marr.
(I did not know that until joining this forum and a chance conversation with Pat).

The world was changing. That change would soon become rapid and dramatic.
We only cared about one thing.
We were teenagers.

stickman's brother would buy us a six
he stood as one of our gods
we'd walk downtown on love's crusade
dressed to kill 'cause that changed the odds
basement bands played last year's songs
we'd dance in the blacklight glow
strut our drunk on a couple of beers
so the older girls would know

growing up in a different world, 1972
   i still remember...how 'bout you?

riots raged, prophets preached
bombs were being thrown
but all of that's just tv news
we had worries of our own
no one can get a car tonight
wait 'til jill hears this
i was stumbling over shattered dreams
dying for one sweet kiss

tall tales told like truth
for the sake of what could have been
catholic girls lit candles
to tried to shake the sin
but sunday morning could never pay
for what saturday night allowed
the girls hung their heads in the knowledge
the boys walked tall and proud

i still remember... .

My CCR-like band...

RealTracks in style: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1607:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsGritty Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 698:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 632:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: PraiseWorshipShine^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120 is the real star of the band here.
The "leads" all come from it.
I used a "chunk" of it to provide the simple repeating signature - in that simple CCR style - so ANY garage band could play it...

Remember?
Have at it.

floyd

#371989 - 10/28/16 11:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
YES, I remember!! What a great way to bring back those memories! So much life in this song-small town young men yearning with the backdrop of political and social strife. I LOVE THIS!! I love the idea of the chorus-those of us at "that age" can bring back their old memories, golden or tarnished. That is probably the firs year I ever got a little drunk, although I was under age-don't tell. This is a gem. Love the simple, energetic guitar riff, and lyrics which carve out the picture flawlessly. Another great one Floyd. Thanks for the memories!! Take care. Greg

#371991 - 10/28/16 11:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I remember very well, in 1972 I was in grade 12.

Not small town America, small town Canada, Saint John, New Brunswick to be exact. Very similar I'm sure! We only had one TV channel at the time. I was in a band, got lots of gigs because there was lots of places to play back then, before the days of disco. And yes, CCR was definitely one of the bands we covered.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

You had me hooked right from the opening chords! Great write, and as always I love your vocals. I'm on my second listen.

Blue Attitude Website

#371999 - 10/28/16 12:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Class of 72. Had a choice of going to my graduation or a Zepplin concert..... the graduation won, at the "insistence" of our moms. We wanted a place to sleep on June 10th.

Good song. I liked it.

And yeah, you're right... CCR was easy to cover.

Edited by Guitarhacker (10/28/16 12:11 PM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#372032 - 10/28/16 03:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd.

And yes, it was exactly the same over on this side of the Atlantic. The same songs - hey, a lot of the stuff you mentioned is from the UK - and we all had the flares and big hair.

In '72 I was saving for a deposit on my first house by doing the day job 9 to 5, playing five nights a week in a covers band and fitting in a few studio sessions at the weekend. At the end of the year I was all but burnt out, but I had the house!

This great song of yours brought back all sorts of memories, most of them good, but some which make me slightly sad when I look at what some of the changes have created.

Still, this is what good songs do and this is an excellent song. Almost goes without saying that everything is as professional as usual.

Cheers, ROG.

#372037 - 10/28/16 04:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Well, at that time I was eight years old ;-)
Here in Holland things were completely different then, compared to today.
I know, that most people of my age (an older) will say that. But I think it's a little bit more than just nostalgia. I think the world has changed drastically since then (and not in a good way as far as I'm concerned).

Needless to say, that this is a very good song and very well up to your usual high standards!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#372051 - 10/28/16 08:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Sensational write Floyd.

You captured a great nostalgic time, and presented it masterfully.

Excellent, this really delivers what is says.
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#372057 - 10/28/16 09:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
A lot going on in '72. Just out of high school and living on the 'farm'....

Recorded my music on a Sears Roebuck stereo reel to reel and transferred it all to 8 track.

Great, nostalgic song. The baritone lead guitar was exceptional on this one.

Charlie

#372059 - 10/28/16 09:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
floyd,
Wow this forum is memory lane for me right now! Coupled with Fgritner's post T-Boned . And my last post Cool! !

I was a dental student in a sort of Prog-Rock band playing round bars in London at the weekends with an amazing pianist who is now a senior Oncology Consultant! But we were never in the right place at the right time!! I NEVER have played CCR, ever!!

Oh your song grin What can I say when every song you produce is so flipping good.
Great use of RT's

An excellent way to start my day.

Excellent

Alyn

My story

#372076 - 10/29/16 05:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
What a cool song Floyd. Boy did this bring up memories. I grew up in Central Canada. Manitoba to be exact. Everything you described brought back memories. We had a huge weekend music scene going.
Awesome tune. Thanks for sharing that one. Definitely one much my favorite tunes on the forum.

#372102 - 10/29/16 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Will B - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Another awesome song bringing out more awesome stories! The production on this one is impeccable, Floyd, and the background story really does take it to another level. That's a crazy coincidence about Pat... the magic of music smile

#372115 - 10/29/16 10:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Yorkshire, England
receder Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
What a sensational song Floyd; musically, lyrically heck everything. You keep exceeding the high standard that you already set!

Love all of those fantastic guitars from start to finish and your drum sound always impresses.
Of course the vocal sets it all off just perfectly. If this got played on a big radio station I think you would have a hit on your hands.

Fascinating reading yours and all of the other back stories and what a coincidence about Pat. It brings back a few memories for me too. I was 12 in 1972 and learning 'cello at school but that was until my good friend Rob Gerard started giving me guitar lessons. What was the first song I learnt? Bad Moon Rising (CCR). Then my mate Brian lent me the Free Live album and that was me sold on guitar.

So thanks Floyd for the song, the nostalgia and the memories!

All the best,
Rec

#372117 - 10/29/16 10:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Man, I don't know what to say but this is incredible, very Bruce. At the same level of quality. Really a classic. You should be very proud of this one Floyd. Superb.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#372135 - 10/29/16 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

"we'd walk downtown on love's crusade
dressed to kill 'cause that changed the odds"

Really good lyrics throughout this - nostalgia with cool details in the observation.
Its an excellent song all round- not just the Boss, but Jackson Browne in his rockier tunes comes to mind.
Great sound and the harmonies are so well done.

Robert

#372167 - 10/29/16 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
fgrittner Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
Floyd,

Another fine song. The arrangement is a killer. The Brent Mason Baritone "chunk" is brilliant for a hook. l love how you use held chords and notes on the organ and guitars. That is something I have to learn how to do more effectively. You are quite the musician and teacher.

Fred
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com

#372175 - 10/29/16 01:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Great song Floyd. I was 10 in 1972 and now, after many years have passed, sometimes I miss those years.
Naturally, also in Italy we had black and white TV and very little cars.

But we were young...

Sergio

Sergio

#372186 - 10/29/16 02:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: San Jose, CA
Marty Sorensen Offline
Apprentice

Loc: San Jose, CA
I'm not a musician, I just pretend to be one on BIAB, but what I really appreciated on this song was the way the music trended up/down tense/relaxed as I followed the lyrics.

#372215 - 10/29/16 04:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: Greg Johnson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
YES, I remember!! What a great way to bring back those memories! So much life in this song-small town young men yearning with the backdrop of political and social strife. I LOVE THIS!! I love the idea of the chorus-those of us at "that age" can bring back their old memories, golden or tarnished. That is probably the firs year I ever got a little drunk, although I was under age-don't tell. This is a gem. Love the simple, energetic guitar riff, and lyrics which carve out the picture flawlessly. Another great one Floyd. Thanks for the memories!! Take care. Greg

Greg - I always appreciate your appreciation. You always seem to get it and express it well... it has been cool, so far, to see the memories that this has evoked in others... and, there was a reason that we needed Stickman's brother to buy us that "six" smile

#372219 - 10/29/16 05:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Flashback! I remember 1972 very well. Bought my first place in late '71, my first born was 6 months old and I was broke! So I was working at my regular job, teaching guitar 5 nights a week and Saturdays and playing 1 or 2 gigs on the weekends.

However this song brought back some very fond memories and I not only thank you for that but also to compliment you on a fantastic song.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#372245 - 10/29/16 08:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1972 [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Yes Floyd, I remember. This is a great song! I loved the intro and the guitar work all the way through. Vocals also but above all great writing. Take care, Torrey.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

With Band-in-a-Box® Your Band is MASSIVE!

Open Band-in-a-Box®, and you're instantly gaining access to at least 300 different RealTracks played by real live musicians!

There's more than 140 Artists that contribute to the 2,900+ RealTracks available! Our RealTracks and RealDrums Artists are top studio musicians, and the RealTracks they play will add an amazing human element to your projects!

Now is a great time to have these musicians handy!

-----

Band-in-a-Box® Pro includes over 300 RealTracks in 100 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK includes over 500 RealTracks in 300 bands! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ includes over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac
Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition includes the uncomplessed files for over 2,900 RealTracks! Windows | Mac

Learn more about using RealTracks in your Band-in-a-Box® projects: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32846 Members
68 Forums
66147 Topics
561656 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
AveryT, Hans Franz 12, Marik, midisynth, uhv14437@cuoly.c

32845 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 172
VideoTrack 155