Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#371984 10/28/16 08:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Most of us (on this forum) grew up in a totally different world.
This song looks back to that time.
To what the world was when we were coming of age...
We watched a TV with only 3 channels. Only recently in color.
Our telephone was attached to the kitchen wall or sat on a living room table. It had a cord.
Think 1969...'70...'71...'72...
Remember?

My memories are of small-town America.
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania...
...where, on Saturday night, we hung out at "the dance" at the downtown YMCA.
In the basement. The club was called "The Fire".
(luckily, there never was a fire, because, as far as I know, the only way out was the crowded, cramp stairway).
Blacklight posters (and blacklights) everywhere. Local bands that played "last year's songs"...
The Stones, some Beatles, "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'", "All Right Now", "Come And Get It", "Lola"...
A LOT of Creedence. 'Cause EVERYONE could play Creedence...

And here's an aside...
One of the guys in one of those bands, playing at The Fire, was our own Pat Marr.
(I did not know that until joining this forum and a chance conversation with Pat).

The world was changing. That change would soon become rapid and dramatic.
We only cared about one thing.
We were teenagers.

stickman's brother would buy us a six
he stood as one of our gods
we'd walk downtown on love's crusade
dressed to kill 'cause that changed the odds
basement bands played last year's songs
we'd dance in the blacklight glow
strut our drunk on a couple of beers
so the older girls would know

growing up in a different world, 1972
   i still remember...how 'bout you?

riots raged, prophets preached
bombs were being thrown
but all of that's just tv news
we had worries of our own
no one can get a car tonight
wait 'til jill hears this
i was stumbling over shattered dreams
dying for one sweet kiss

tall tales told like truth
for the sake of what could have been
catholic girls lit candles
to tried to shake the sin
but sunday morning could never pay
for what saturday night allowed
the girls hung their heads in the knowledge
the boys walked tall and proud

i still remember... .

My CCR-like band...

RealTracks in style: ~684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1607:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsGritty Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 698:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 632:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: PraiseWorshipShine^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120 is the real star of the band here.
The "leads" all come from it.
I used a "chunk" of it to provide the simple repeating signature - in that simple CCR style - so ANY garage band could play it...

Remember?
Have at it.

floyd

floyd jane #371989 10/28/16 08:36 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
YES, I remember!! What a great way to bring back those memories! So much life in this song-small town young men yearning with the backdrop of political and social strife. I LOVE THIS!! I love the idea of the chorus-those of us at "that age" can bring back their old memories, golden or tarnished. That is probably the firs year I ever got a little drunk, although I was under age-don't tell. This is a gem. Love the simple, energetic guitar riff, and lyrics which carve out the picture flawlessly. Another great one Floyd. Thanks for the memories!! Take care. Greg

floyd jane #371991 10/28/16 08:45 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I remember very well, in 1972 I was in grade 12.

Not small town America, small town Canada, Saint John, New Brunswick to be exact. Very similar I'm sure! We only had one TV channel at the time. I was in a band, got lots of gigs because there was lots of places to play back then, before the days of disco. And yes, CCR was definitely one of the bands we covered.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

You had me hooked right from the opening chords! Great write, and as always I love your vocals. I'm on my second listen.

floyd jane #371999 10/28/16 09:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Class of 72. Had a choice of going to my graduation or a Zepplin concert..... the graduation won, at the "insistence" of our moms. We wanted a place to sleep on June 10th.

Good song. I liked it.

And yeah, you're right... CCR was easy to cover.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/28/16 09:11 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
floyd jane #372032 10/28/16 12:28 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

And yes, it was exactly the same over on this side of the Atlantic. The same songs - hey, a lot of the stuff you mentioned is from the UK - and we all had the flares and big hair.

In '72 I was saving for a deposit on my first house by doing the day job 9 to 5, playing five nights a week in a covers band and fitting in a few studio sessions at the weekend. At the end of the year I was all but burnt out, but I had the house!

This great song of yours brought back all sorts of memories, most of them good, but some which make me slightly sad when I look at what some of the changes have created.

Still, this is what good songs do and this is an excellent song. Almost goes without saying that everything is as professional as usual.

Cheers, ROG.

floyd jane #372037 10/28/16 01:30 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, at that time I was eight years old ;-)
Here in Holland things were completely different then, compared to today.
I know, that most people of my age (an older) will say that. But I think it's a little bit more than just nostalgia. I think the world has changed drastically since then (and not in a good way as far as I'm concerned).

Needless to say, that this is a very good song and very well up to your usual high standards!

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

floyd jane #372051 10/28/16 05:13 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sensational write Floyd.

You captured a great nostalgic time, and presented it masterfully.

Excellent, this really delivers what is says.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
floyd jane #372057 10/28/16 06:43 PM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
A lot going on in '72. Just out of high school and living on the 'farm'....

Recorded my music on a Sears Roebuck stereo reel to reel and transferred it all to 8 track.

Great, nostalgic song. The baritone lead guitar was exceptional on this one.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
floyd jane #372059 10/28/16 06:51 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,
Wow this forum is memory lane for me right now! Coupled with Fgritner's post T-Boned . And my last post Cool! !

I was a dental student in a sort of Prog-Rock band playing round bars in London at the weekends with an amazing pianist who is now a senior Oncology Consultant! But we were never in the right place at the right time!! I NEVER have played CCR, ever!!

Oh your song grin What can I say when every song you produce is so flipping good.
Great use of RT's

An excellent way to start my day.

Excellent

Alyn

floyd jane #372076 10/29/16 02:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a cool song Floyd. Boy did this bring up memories. I grew up in Central Canada. Manitoba to be exact. Everything you described brought back memories. We had a huge weekend music scene going.
Awesome tune. Thanks for sharing that one. Definitely one much my favorite tunes on the forum.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
floyd jane #372102 10/29/16 07:03 AM
User Showcase
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Another awesome song bringing out more awesome stories! The production on this one is impeccable, Floyd, and the background story really does take it to another level. That's a crazy coincidence about Pat... the magic of music smile

Will - PG Music
floyd jane #372115 10/29/16 07:35 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
What a sensational song Floyd; musically, lyrically heck everything. You keep exceeding the high standard that you already set!

Love all of those fantastic guitars from start to finish and your drum sound always impresses.
Of course the vocal sets it all off just perfectly. If this got played on a big radio station I think you would have a hit on your hands.

Fascinating reading yours and all of the other back stories and what a coincidence about Pat. It brings back a few memories for me too. I was 12 in 1972 and learning 'cello at school but that was until my good friend Rob Gerard started giving me guitar lessons. What was the first song I learnt? Bad Moon Rising (CCR). Then my mate Brian lent me the Free Live album and that was me sold on guitar.

So thanks Floyd for the song, the nostalgia and the memories!

All the best,
Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
floyd jane #372117 10/29/16 07:45 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Man, I don't know what to say but this is incredible, very Bruce. At the same level of quality. Really a classic. You should be very proud of this one Floyd. Superb.

floyd jane #372135 10/29/16 08:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

"we'd walk downtown on love's crusade
dressed to kill 'cause that changed the odds"

Really good lyrics throughout this - nostalgia with cool details in the observation.
Its an excellent song all round- not just the Boss, but Jackson Browne in his rockier tunes comes to mind.
Great sound and the harmonies are so well done.

Robert

floyd jane #372167 10/29/16 10:36 AM
User Showcase
F
Expert
Expert
F
Floyd,

Another fine song. The arrangement is a killer. The Brent Mason Baritone "chunk" is brilliant for a hook. l love how you use held chords and notes on the organ and guitars. That is something I have to learn how to do more effectively. You are quite the musician and teacher.

Fred

Fred Grittner
2020 iMac, Ventura, Logic Pro
https://52tracksblog.com
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com
floyd jane #372175 10/29/16 10:51 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Great song Floyd. I was 10 in 1972 and now, after many years have passed, sometimes I miss those years.
Naturally, also in Italy we had black and white TV and very little cars.

But we were young...

Sergio

Sergio
floyd jane #372186 10/29/16 11:47 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm not a musician, I just pretend to be one on BIAB, but what I really appreciated on this song was the way the music trended up/down tense/relaxed as I followed the lyrics.

Greg Johnson #372215 10/29/16 01:55 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
YES, I remember!! What a great way to bring back those memories! So much life in this song-small town young men yearning with the backdrop of political and social strife. I LOVE THIS!! I love the idea of the chorus-those of us at "that age" can bring back their old memories, golden or tarnished. That is probably the firs year I ever got a little drunk, although I was under age-don't tell. This is a gem. Love the simple, energetic guitar riff, and lyrics which carve out the picture flawlessly. Another great one Floyd. Thanks for the memories!! Take care. Greg

Greg - I always appreciate your appreciation. You always seem to get it and express it well... it has been cool, so far, to see the memories that this has evoked in others... and, there was a reason that we needed Stickman's brother to buy us that "six" smile

floyd jane #372219 10/29/16 02:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Flashback! I remember 1972 very well. Bought my first place in late '71, my first born was 6 months old and I was broke! So I was working at my regular job, teaching guitar 5 nights a week and Saturdays and playing 1 or 2 gigs on the weekends.

However this song brought back some very fond memories and I not only thank you for that but also to compliment you on a fantastic song.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
floyd jane #372245 10/29/16 05:43 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yes Floyd, I remember. This is a great song! I loved the intro and the guitar work all the way through. Vocals also but above all great writing. Take care, Torrey.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,526
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197