Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
So here we go - variation on a them of the previous posts I've done regarding accompaniments for copywritten songs.

I've noticed that when I type in the name of a song I like - the recommended BB style and/or sample song sometimes - to my ear - sounds pretty darn close. Other times, not so close.

For those of you in tune (pun intended lol) with this sort of thing - what "In the style of" {insert song name} have sounded closest to the backing bands in the original recordings ?

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
The Norton midi styles usually can be matched reliably to a song performed by the artist the style is named after. For instance, I have a Norton Midi style identified as a Beatles style and you recognized the sgu as "Get Back". So using that style to create a performance of "Get Back" can be spot on with a little work. Any of his styles can sound very professional using any number of methods. Much will depend on the quality of the midi instruments chosen and the quality of the synth creating the instrument sound. In some of his styles, Realtracks can replace certain midi instruments and yield a nice performance. of course, live playing or a pre-recorded audio file will also work on any track to replace a midi track.

BIAB/RB has all the necessary tools to create nearly note perfect replications of most songs. Mixing midi, Realtracks, live recording, WAV or MP3/WMA audio files that can be manipulated by cut/paste techniques and chord detection by importing a midi file or an audio file using the Audio Chord Wizard are all invaluable tools.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/30/16 02:00 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
My experience is like yours Joe...sometimes it does pretty good but often it does not. And I really do not understand why it suggests a huge list whenafter the first one or two the styles are not even remotely close to the request. Somehow they seem to think that search quantity is a substitute for quality! smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well there's a problem with those tracks and styles that say "in the style of".....

The question here is .... What song of said artist is this particular style "in the style of"?

Was it the artist's big smash hit or was it a lesser known hit that sounded nothing like the big hit or was it some other song by said artist that no one knows and sounding completely unlike anything you might have heard from that artist or were they trying to simply capture the overall groove/vibe of that artist, assuming the artist in question has sufficient chart material to have established a unique signature sound?

Often, if I'm looking for a style "in the style of".... I will listen to see if I can figure out the song it's supposedly modeled on. Sometimes I can and sometimes not.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
My comment was based on VERY specific criteria like a specific song by a specific artist. And the search often returns results that don't seem to match the request.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Joe, my suggestion for this training tool request and your interests of 6 months or so ago are to do this analysis yourself.

Pick one song you want to teach the kids (or perform) and "reverse arrange" it through critical listening of the song. For most rock and pop tunes this process takes me about an hour. I would be happy to walk you through my process for doing this with songs in a phone call or Skype call. In my opinion, this is a skill that every band member and home recordist needs to learn.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe and JJJ, you have to understand this style function of Biab was never designed to give you a style that "matches" any one song.

A musical style is just that, a style.

James Brown is a funky musical style but is it the same as Average White Band? No, but they're both funk styles.

CCR is a rock style but is it the same as Huey Lewis or Deep Purple? No.

When you type in the name of a song all that is is another generic filter. Like Rock Ev 8 is a filter. Or Tex-Mex is a filter. That's it, that's as far as it goes. If you typed in Hotel California what happens is you get a list of medium rock styles, none of which will be specific to Hotel California but one of those might have an arpeggiated guitar part that could work for that tune if you put in the correct chords.

Biab does not advertise specific songs nor does PG say anywhere that Biab will give you covers of copywritten songs. You get basic style tracks and all the rest of it is up to you.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi guys,

Bob is 100% correct. The song database only contains the tempo, genre, time signature, and feel (Ev8, Sw16, etc) of hit songs from the past several decades, and filters the list so that you only see styles that match those limited parameters (often showing more if "include similar" is checked).

The styles that are listed may or may not actually sound remotely like the song you typed in, and will be the same ones that you'd see if you'd chosen the same Genre, Tempo, Time Sig, and Feel filters yourself.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
If you want the actual song, then just download a quality MIDI file and work from there.

BIAB allows you to pick a style that provides something that an artist might do or a groove that a particular song might use, but it will never be that exact song. Otherwise, every style would be song specific, and I suspect get into a lot of copyright issues. You are just not going to be able to select a Rolling Stones Style and get the guitar riff for Satisfaction (whether you typed Satisfaction in the filter field or not).

As I read the style descriptions, selecting a song title isn't so that you get a style that mimics a particular song, but more that it gives you a style that "should work" for that song (or maybe not, YMMV, since it's someone else's interpretation).

Like Bob said, if you choose a funk artist, then you're not going to get Average White Band, but you're going to get styles that work with a funk groove.

As far as I understand it, BIAB has never been designed to provide you with "covers", but merely the ability to select something in line with what a particular artist might generally create. That can then become your version of the song. It's been this way in BIAB as far back as I can remember.

That being said, if you use MIDI, you could fairly easily create your own song specific styles by using a MIDI file as the source and then using the style wizard to create parts that mimic the riffs of the song. That would let you reharmonize a song, yet keep the original riffs in place, or make a different song sound like that song. But as far as sharing or selling that, you would be treading into copyright territory.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Joe and JJJ, you have to understand this style function of Biab was never designed to give you a style that "matches" any one song.

A musical style is just that, a style.

James Brown is a funky musical style but is it the same as Average White Band? No, but they're both funk styles.

CCR is a rock style but is it the same as Huey Lewis or Deep Purple? No.

When you type in the name of a song all that is is another generic filter. Like Rock Ev 8 is a filter. Or Tex-Mex is a filter. That's it, that's as far as it goes. If you typed in Hotel California what happens is you get a list of medium rock styles, none of which will be specific to Hotel California but one of those might have an arpeggiated guitar part that could work for that tune if you put in the correct chords.

Biab does not advertise specific songs nor does PG say anywhere that Biab will give you covers of copywritten songs. You get basic style tracks and all the rest of it is up to you.

Bob

Bob, no one is expecting BIAB to provide a style that is a perfect cover! I get what you guys are saying but this makes me realize this "feature" is not nearly as useful as it appears to be at first glance. I bet if you asked 10 musicians what results they would expect from a style search feature that accepted a song name as input most would expect the styles suggested to at least be something close.

But when I type Hotel California and get 304 results (3,254 if I check Include Similar) and none, or very few of them sound even remotely like the song I entered I see this "feature" as either 1) poorly documented or 2) not very functional. I mean, why in the world is it bringing back 3,254 results for Hotel California? I guess you explained this but to my way of thinking there should be more to this filter than simply locating every style in the library that has 2 or 3 common elements of the typed song!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have said it in other places, but if you want to see, hear, play, study and grab the midi for all of the parts of, say Stairway to Heaven, exactly as they were performed (including the drums), and take it from there, you really only need to know two words.

Guitar Pro.

Like here:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/stairway_to_heaven_ver9_guitar_pro.htm

About 59 bucks. Who knows how many song files available. Maybe millions. You can import the midi into BIAB.

Peace Out.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I found "1" result here http://realband.org/usertracks.html
"Guitar, Acoustic, Hotel Style Ev 8 130"

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
...gonna check that out David - sounds like a really fun and useful tool.

Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
Hi Rockstar_Not

I think that is a wonderful idea. I would really benefit from a session that ran through things like drum feels and styles etc. I am clueless when it comes to hearing those kind of things. I can usually hear and work out chord changes etc for guitar or base and melodies, but drums, Swing or Even, 8 or 16? I've no accurate idea of what it really means! I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just follow my ears which kind of works. How about a video recording of the steps you go through?

Regards

Neil

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Guitar pro is great ! but if you can't afford it the is https://musescore.org/en
Guitar Pro (*.GTP, *.GP3, *.GP4, *.GP5, *.GPX)

and https://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxguitar/

both will export to midi, xml

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: lambada
Hi Rockstar_Not

I think that is a wonderful idea. I would really benefit from a session that ran through things like drum feels and styles etc. I am clueless when it comes to hearing those kind of things. I can usually hear and work out chord changes etc for guitar or base and melodies, but drums, Swing or Even, 8 or 16? I've no accurate idea of what it really means! I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just follow my ears which kind of works. How about a video recording of the steps you go through?

Regards

Neil

Neil - pick a song on YouTube that you would like this exercise - one with good audio quality. I won't be doing a video, but I can walk you through the steps of what I do. This isn't figuring out chords and lead lines, but more of an orchestration/arrangement/production exercise.

Here's an example of where I did this with Beck's excellent song, The Golden Age:
Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zAT15vaFk
My 2 minute version (for a song contest): http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/newer/rockstar_not%20-%20The%20Golden%20Age%202%20minute%20cover.mp3

The process I use is to go through the song MANY times, with a spreadsheet as a note-taking tool, with song sections in the rows, and 'parts' in the columns. I start with the drums, making notes to myself about feel (usually just kick, snare and hats as a start) in each section. Then bass, then all of the guitars, then keyboards, then vocals, sound fx, etc. On this song, I think I had about 10 tracks total. One thing that I could tell is that in the original, I think the acoustic guitars are double-tracked, and that was the primary thing I wanted to try in this recording - to see if I could actually play the acoustic closely enough take to take to get that wider than imaginable sound. I didn't get the rhythm just right. Also to keep this under 2 minutes, I cut out half of the intro. This was also the first time I ever recorded background vocals. The cool thing about the original is that some of the tracks are just dripping with reverb and that helps to cover a multitude of singing errors! But anyways, I think I got the feel and mood of the song nailed pretty well using this technique. I tweaked it quite a bit, going back and forth between the original and my individual tracks. In the cover contest I entered this into (KVRAudio.com) some folks accused me of copying. I didn't, but paid very close attention to each little audio piece of magic that is in the original song. Even though there's lots of reverb on some of the tracks, others are really dry. I wanted to see if I could duplicate the dreamy yet very present nature of this song and it's production.

That's really what Joe is asking about in his original question in the thread.

If anyone is interested, I'll put up a Google-docs spreadsheet of a song I've recently 'reverse arranged' in order to make notes on our band's cover of the song.

For a great on-line cover band where it's clear to me that they have done something like this, check out Lexington Lab Band. Lots of great 70's & 80's rock covers (Boston, Journey)
The cool thing about their covers is that they are mixed really well with great separation of the individual tracks for easy note taking.
https://vimeo.com/185352494

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
J*3
I am one musician that absolutely loves the song style filter and I use it everyday of life. I don't like using midi files and working with them. This is because I am actually trying NOT to sound like the original. What biab gives me in terms of feel, tempo and suggested styles is invaluable. I am busy working on a folk swing version of Greensleeves right now.

Then when I am done I can release a my own unique cover version of a song to iTunes rather than just a bad copy which does not sound as good as the original.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>> But when I type Hotel California and get 304 results (3,254 if I check Include Similar) and none, or very few of them sound even remotely like the song I entered I see this "feature" as either 1) poorly documented or 2) not very functional. I mean, why in the world is it bringing back 3,254 results for Hotel California? I guess you explained this but to my way of thinking there should be more to this filter than simply locating every style in the library that has 2 or 3 common elements of the typed song!

I just tried it on that song, and got great results. Each of the first 10 listed worked great with the chords, and would work well in the song.

So to try to reconcile that with your comment that they don't sound "even remotely like the song" .... I think this is likely the explanation.

When you see the style list, and double click the style to hear a style demo, you are hearing our pre-prepared style demo, that is a completely different chord progression than the song that you are interested in. So the demo's progression might be | CMaj7 | FMaj7 | . You are hearing that, and concluding that "this doesn't sound like the song" ... but that's because the CHORD PROGRESSION is different.

Instead, type the first 8 bars of the chord progression that you want for your song, and don't play the pre-prepared demo, press the PLAY button (after first selecting 4 bar preview. Then you will hear the style that this feature chose, along with the chords that you want. I did that, and they all sound great with your song, and this list was chosen just by typing in the song title.

Here were the first 6 styles listed when I typed that song title (these are from the UltraPAK< and some from Bonus PAKS)

_PMODGR+ <---- Here's how that one sounds for example. https://www.dropbox.com/s/worj8b03rexf5dz/PopBalladDemo-1.m4a?dl=0
_LITEPOP
_SPTRIO3
_SPOPSLW
_SPOPFNK
_PMODGR1

Try any of those with the correct chords of your song. And listen to the demo above. And tell me what you think.I'd be intersted to know why you think that wouldn't remotely work for you with that song.

Incidentally, the + on the name _PMODGR+.sty indicates that this is a mult-style, with 4 substyles instead of 2. The parts are named when you right click on the bar numbers on the chordsheet, and they are

substyle a: verse
substyle b: chorus
aubstyle c: intro
substyle d : Interlude

So I made up a 32 bar demo, using some similar chord progressions, and 4 eight bar sections (intro, verse, chorus, interlude). And for fun, chose "select realtracks - choose best soloist". And that feature recommended an elec. guitar soloist 1167 for this style, so that is added in this demo too.

SO here is that demo: To summarize, I typed in a song title, took BB's top recommendation, and added a soloist that was also BB's top recommendations. And typed in the chords I wanted. It all took about 10 minutes... This is what I got https://www.dropbox.com/s/yttthubdj7lorzi/PopBalladDemo-2.m4a?dl=0 And then pressed the generate song title button, and BiaB gave the song a title called "Unforgiving Love"

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
J*3
I am one musician that absolutely loves the song style filter and I use it everyday of life. I don't like using midi files and working with them. This is because I am actually trying NOT to sound like the original. What biab gives me in terms of feel, tempo and suggested styles is invaluable. I am busy working on a folk swing version of Greensleeves right now.

Then when I am done I can release a my own unique cover version of a song to iTunes rather than just a bad copy which does not sound as good as the original.

Thanks Joanne! I can see how this would be quite cool for doing unique covers. I had thought this feature would give me more of a "sounds like" selection as a starting point for my originals.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
>> But when I type Hotel California and get 304 results (3,254 if I check Include Similar) and none, or very few of them sound even remotely like the song I entered I see this "feature" as either 1) poorly documented or 2) not very functional. I mean, why in the world is it bringing back 3,254 results for Hotel California? I guess you explained this but to my way of thinking there should be more to this filter than simply locating every style in the library that has 2 or 3 common elements of the typed song!

I just tried it on that song, and got great results. Each of the first 10 listed worked great with the chords, and would work well in the song.

So to try to reconcile that with your comment that they don't sound "even remotely like the song" .... I think this is likely the explanation.

When you see the style list, and double click the style to hear a style demo, you are hearing our pre-prepared style demo, that is a completely different chord progression than the song that you are interested in. So the demo's progression might be | CMaj7 | FMaj7 | . You are hearing that, and concluding that "this doesn't sound like the song" ... but that's because the CHORD PROGRESSION is different.

Instead, type the first 8 bars of the chord progression that you want for your song, and don't play the pre-prepared demo, press the PLAY button (after first selecting 4 bar preview. Then you will hear the style that this feature chose, along with the chords that you want. I did that, and they all sound great with your song, and this list was chosen just by typing in the song title.

Here were the first 6 styles listed when I typed that song title (these are from the UltraPAK< and some from Bonus PAKS)

_PMODGR+ <---- Here's how that one sounds for example. https://www.dropbox.com/s/worj8b03rexf5dz/PopBalladDemo-1.m4a?dl=0
_LITEPOP
_SPTRIO3
_SPOPSLW
_SPOPFNK
_PMODGR1

Try any of those with the correct chords of your song. And listen to the demo above. And tell me what you think.I'd be intersted to know why you think that wouldn't remotely work for you with that song.

Incidentally, the + on the name _PMODGR+.sty indicates that this is a mult-style, with 4 substyles instead of 2. The parts are named when you right click on the bar numbers on the chordsheet, and they are

substyle a: verse
substyle b: chorus
aubstyle c: intro
substyle d : Interlude

So I made up a 32 bar demo, using some similar chord progressions, and 4 eight bar sections (intro, verse, chorus, interlude). And for fun, chose "select realtracks - choose best soloist". And that feature recommended an elec. guitar soloist 1167 for this style, so that is added in this demo too.

SO here is that demo: To summarize, I typed in a song title, took BB's top recommendation, and added a soloist that was also BB's top recommendations. And typed in the chords I wanted. It all took about 10 minutes... This is what I got https://www.dropbox.com/s/yttthubdj7lorzi/PopBalladDemo-2.m4a?dl=0 And then pressed the generate song title button, and BiaB gave the song a title called "Unforgiving Love"

Thank you for that detailed response Peter! I entered my chords and you are absolutely right that that makes it sound closer to my desired song. I think in general maybe I have misunderstood this feature. I am not doing covers and had thought this would give me a style very close to the sound of a song I entered. I will spend a little more time with it to see if I can get it to work for my needs. Thanks again!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,537
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200