Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

This one is a ripper! ("rippa" to you) grin

Enjoyed this bouncy thing. I imagine you in a white tux with a cane and top hat, doing this as a song-and-dance!

Good onya, mate!

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Noel,

I was very interested to read how you analysed "I Got Rhythm" and used your analysis to come up with a completely new song. You are certainly honing your songwriting and BIAB/RB skills into a fine art as is evident in this your latest creation.

I have taken to making notes as I listen to a song through a few times, so here's what I captured.

- The simple bass/drums with spoken intro works well to introduce the song's message.
- Fascinating how you captured the vibe of "I Got Rhythm".
- Really positive message which is also how the song makes you feel (especially if you sing along as I did smile
- Incredible use of RTs - all expertly woven into the song's structure. Echoing what Floyd said nothing is wasted or out of place.
- Beautiful violin and guitar solos (guitar ending is also perfect).
- Love the subtle way the mandolin comes in.
- Vocals are just right and also build towards the end with some great harmonies.
- The modulation "gear change" near the end. Really helps to draw the song to a close.

Add to that a perfect mix and gorgeous clear sound and you have notched up another classic creation.
As Bob said I could also imagine you doing a "Fred and Ginger" to this in a white tux with a cane and top hat!

Well done!
Jez

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, growing up my mother and my sisters were always singing show tunes. So through osmosis I became very familiar with the genre. This would be perfect for a production on stage. A really great mix and sung to perfection. I enjoyed reading your analysis. Beautiful work. Tom

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Very cool tune Noel. I loved this tune. This brought back memories of high school. Each year we would put on a play i.e. My Fair Lady, Oliver and this tune reminded my of the songs we did in those plays. Loved the lyric and vocal..

I agree. Positive and delightful!! I can really hear this one in a musical. It really has that quality. Like Gershwin's "Who could ask for anything more?" Wonderful listen-the production is clean and beautifully executed. Great stuff!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg,

Thank you for giving the song a listen. I appreciate it. Also, thank you for the feedback.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I posted this on SoundCloud... and I don't mean to get all gushy on this. I like people and am supportive, but internally I am a harsh critic... very hard to please:

Honestly, this is an anthem, Noel... Your voice, and to my USA ears the slight down-under accent, fits in so casually and naturally, snug as a roof-shingle. I kept hearing places this song could be placed. Definitely movie tracks... And kids would be all over it... And the turns and key changes...SURPRISE!

Absolutely awesome, Noel.

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Noel

I also agree. Positive and delightful! It is a very good song as a musical tune or may not. The modulation and the dominant motions of the bridge and the deceptive cadence of the end of the melody are wonderful and very Gershwin-like. The choice of the instruments at interlude is perfect. The mixing is very clean and beautiful and your vocal is very nice.
I enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Konichiwa Shigeki Adachi,

I really appreciate that you took time to visit the thread and have a listen. Thank you.

It was fun putting this song together. In relation to the dominant movement and cadences, the chord progression was modelled on George Gershwin's work. I took out all the extended sounds in chords and created a musical texture with only major, minor, minor seventh and dominant seventh chords. That seemed to work well enough so I left it at that. The modulation came about simply because I needed to make the song last a bit longer (at 165 bpm, it disappeared quickly). Repeating the last section without changing key sounded a bit boring. I thought that changing the key added a bit of extra life and made it a bit more interesting again.

Once again, thank you for taking the time.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
Noel,
How different our songs are!
You spend hours perfecting a masterpiece and are able to explain the technique you use. Incredible!
You MUST be a teacher to be able to dissect a song as you do and then explain it in a way that I can understand!

AND then produce such a clear mix!
Sounds great here in Wales.

Well done, Noel.

excellent

Alyn

Hey Alyn,

It's always good to see you. Thanks for visiting.

Seriously... I would love to be able to write songs like you. I can't, though. That sort of creativity is beyond me. The only way that I seem to be able to get something together is to approach it though an analytical process. Over the years, I've developed half-a-dozen or so pathways that seem to work for me. How I created this song is one of them.

I said once in a post to floyd that grass grows quicker than the songs I write. I know this for a fact because I usually mow the lawns once or twice per new song.

And you guessed correctly! I'm a teacher.... science teacher actually.... so that probably explains it all smile

Thanks again for dropping in. I appreciate your comments.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Noel,

Great vibe and a uplifting catchy tune. Excellent lesson in songwriting and an interesting analysis of what you did here.
Really well done (the song stays in your head).

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thank you. Appreciate your passing through the thread, listening and commenting.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Noel,

I SO enjoyed listening (a number of times) to this.

The opening is interesting, unique, well conceived... that bass is so nicely "crisp" (for a bass)...combined with the drums, an excellent bed for the spoken intro...

Man! what a nice sound you got on the acoustics! How much of that is Audiophile and how much Noel-processing? The entire mix is EXRTRAORDINARY. Everything fits perfectly. The electric solo snuggles in magically...

One of your all-time-best vocals. Confident and comfortable...natural... really well recorded - any processing that you did to it is spectacular - nothing about it "pokes it's head above the singing" - completely transparent - perfect vocal processing. Kudos.

Your writing here is strong. The "I GOT RHYTHM" influence can be heard if you are listening for it - yet it still sounds like a Noel Adams song. It actually made me think of "The Book of Mormon" - One of the best musicals (lyrically and musically) in the last 30 years. This would fit in that show without missing a beat....rousing applause...

Strong in every regard.

fj

Hey floyd,

It's always good to see you. Thanks dropping in and for giving me so much to think about. Appreciate it.

Writing this song was an interesting journey. It's been a long time since I used an existing song as inspiration and giving me a start on the road to creating a song of my own.

In relation to the acoustic guitars, I generated two versions of the #373 Realtrack and set one at 70% left and the other at 70% right. If there were any instances where the same bar or two was generated on both tracks, and the stereo effect was lost, I simply sliced the section on one of the tracks and offset it by 10 ms. I didn't use any special effects on the tracks. The only thing that affected the guitars was Ozone on my master control. For this, I used the Ozone 6 preset called "Increased space" that's found under the 'Heavy' category. I tweaked it a little but not too much.

Hope this helps with the guitars. Thanks again for the visit and comments.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Very nice tune indeed! The intro part works very well.
I could never come up with something positive like this grin
Also, the soloist is very well-chosen.

Rob

Hi Rob and Anne-Marie.

Thanks for listening. I always appreciate it when you visit.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel96, I absolutely loved this one. As I commented on Soundcloud, I could hear Ringo recording this one. This should have a very broad appeal. The vocals and production were great!!Take care,Torrey.

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"Man! what a nice sound you got on the acoustics! How much of that is Audiophile and how much Noel-processing? The entire mix is EXTRAORDINARY. Everything fits perfectly. The electric solo snuggles in magically..."

What fj said. This is, indeed, an amazing production. The spoken part is very effective.

I'm writing this as Janice and I sit on our porch overlooking a forest complete with birds singing. Your songs always cause one to contemplate the blessings of life. Even in more positive moments I would never be able to write a lyric that so well captures the moment as you do. Frankly I'm amazed that you can tolerate some of my darker productions.

Stunning! In all aspects.

J&B

PS I look forward to reading your link.

Hi J&B,

I appreciate your taking the time. I'd love to be overlooking a forest! It sounds like you both have the perfect low-stress setting for life smile

Thanks for the comments. I mostly don't set out to write positive songs, they just seem to happen. It's good to know that they are useful, though.

Thanks again!
Noel

P.S. It's VERY easy to tolerate your songs. I always look forward to seeing and hearing what you bring to the forum. Your music is first class in every way.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Noel,

This one is a ripper! ("rippa" to you) grin

Enjoyed this bouncy thing. I imagine you in a white tux with a cane and top hat, doing this as a song-and-dance!

Good onya, mate!

Regards,

Bob

Hey Bob,

Good to see you. I have to say, you do a really credible Aussie accent! Thanks for passing through the thread and listening. Appreciate the comments.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Noel !:))

What a lovely song !
This gets you in a good mood !
Love everything about it !
Your harmonies are earcandy
to me !:))

Cheers
Dani

Last edited by dani48; 11/07/16 10:27 AM.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Noel96

Give me good friends
Love and family
Give me laughter
And tomorrow I'll be fine

This life's a priceless treasure
By every measure
It's a bold adventure that beckons like wine

Give me a sunrise
And a thankful outlook
As long as I've got air to breathe
Tomorrow I'll be fine
Tomorrow I will be fine

...great lyrics! I'm really enjoying listening to this song - and thanks for sharing your Lyric Techniques for this song in the "Woodshedding - Learning to Play!" forum!

This is our "Hot Forum Topic" for today smile

~Callie

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Callie,

Thank you smile

I wrote up how I approached writing the lyrics for this one because I thought it might help others. Most song writing books say that a good way to start learning the art of lyrics, is to use the patterns found in existing songs. Unfortunately, they don't then explain how to isolate those patterns. I was aiming to fill in the gap a bit.

Kind regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: receder
Hi Noel,

I was very interested to read how you analysed "I Got Rhythm" and used your analysis to come up with a completely new song. You are certainly honing your songwriting and BIAB/RB skills into a fine art as is evident in this your latest creation.

I have taken to making notes as I listen to a song through a few times, so here's what I captured.

- The simple bass/drums with spoken intro works well to introduce the song's message.
- Fascinating how you captured the vibe of "I Got Rhythm".
- Really positive message which is also how the song makes you feel (especially if you sing along as I did smile
- Incredible use of RTs - all expertly woven into the song's structure. Echoing what Floyd said nothing is wasted or out of place.
- Beautiful violin and guitar solos (guitar ending is also perfect).
- Love the subtle way the mandolin comes in.
- Vocals are just right and also build towards the end with some great harmonies.
- The modulation "gear change" near the end. Really helps to draw the song to a close.

Add to that a perfect mix and gorgeous clear sound and you have notched up another classic creation.
As Bob said I could also imagine you doing a "Fred and Ginger" to this in a white tux with a cane and top hat!

Well done!
Jez

Hi Jez.

Wow!! Thank you heaps for taking so much time to give such a thorough insight into your listening experience. Your comments are very valuable to me. They help me a great deal to appreciate how others hear my song.

We BIAB/RB users are incredibly lucky to have so many Realtracks from which to choose. PG Music give us some mighty tools with which to create music. It so easy to have fun and be productive at the same time.

I really appreciate your visit and comprehensive comments. Thanks again.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Noel, growing up my mother and my sisters were always singing show tunes. So through osmosis I became very familiar with the genre. This would be perfect for a production on stage. A really great mix and sung to perfection. I enjoyed reading your analysis. Beautiful work. Tom

Tom,

Thanks for jumping in smile I don't know why my songs end up sounding like they're designed for the stage! It just seems to happen that way. I wonder if it might have something to do with the AABA form? That's a format that's been really popular on stage. One of the form's strengths is it's ability to capture the moment. Since songs on stage are often about a moment in time, the AABA form is well suited.

One of the things I learned from song's by floyd is that if you want to tell a story in AABA, you need to imagine yourself the story teller presenting a story to friends. Such a perspective allows the storyteller to stay in the moment while the story unfolds through lyrics. This works in AABA. I haven't yet quite worked out how to use AABA to cover a sequence of events without being in 'story teller' mode. Maybe one day!

Thanks again and all the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel. Love that your songs are always so uplifting. This one is no exception. Well done.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andy A - USA
I posted this on SoundCloud... and I don't mean to get all gushy on this. I like people and am supportive, but internally I am a harsh critic... very hard to please:

Honestly, this is an anthem, Noel... Your voice, and to my USA ears the slight down-under accent, fits in so casually and naturally, snug as a roof-shingle. I kept hearing places this song could be placed. Definitely movie tracks... And kids would be all over it... And the turns and key changes...SURPRISE!

Absolutely awesome, Noel.

Andy,

Thanks heaps for making my day! Your comments had me smiling big time. "Sung as a roof shingle" is not something I've heard before... love the phrase!!! Thank you for having a listen and commenting both here and on Soundcloud. I really appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195