Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Well I think (though I agree its nice to be able to write and maybe perform some of you own songs to an audience) that it would probably be annoying to have to go out for a nights entertainment and have a band push mostly their own little known songs into your face.

There you have to ask the question "What are you going out looking for?" If you are going out to hear your favorite songs from the 80s, you can find that, and don't go to see a band who does their own stuff. If you prefer to hear originals (which I am) then don't go see the oldies band. But for person v1 to go out to a v2 kind of room and then sit and complain or criticize, that's completely wrong on every level. Like a vegetarian going to a steak house and complaining that everybody around him is eating meat and it is his choice to not eat meat. Good copy bands are staffed by very good players. It just isn't what I go out to hear. I am extremely fortunate to have a room 3 miles from my house, a VERY nice room, that on Wed/Thur usually has acts that are of the singer/songwriter variety. In fact on a lot of nights she will have a 6pm act, an 8pm act, and on weekends also a 10pm act. Everybody in northeast Ohio knows and loves Jill Bacon-Madden of Jilly's Music Room as a HUGE supporter of local musicians and artists. She has turned her place into the kind of room that the grapevine of indy bands across the country knows about, and she gets a lot of different stuff in there. She'll get Nashville rockabilly one night and then NY City folkies the next, and maybe gypsy folk the next. There is Wednesday jazz night. Some nights she has movie night where she shows old classic movies, usually of the D-rate variety, and cult movies. Some nights she has a big trivia night. Still other nights she will bring in local artists and have an art night (Dr Sketchy!). The food in that place is amazing, and it's just a top shelf kind of place to go. Music is king though, and she rarely, if ever, has a bad act in there. So the point of all those words was that there is a place for everybody to go for music where they can find their happy place. Plenty of music pizza and everybody can get a slice.

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/09/16 11:26 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
)))
Irving Berlin wrote a zillion songs, some of them great ones, and he could only play the piano in one key, and I've heard couldn't play it well in that key.

Yes, Irving Berlin only played in the key of Gb. But he invented a transposing piano and used it to play in all keys You can see him demo it here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bO8VZoRw214

I've heard of the transposing piano. Thanks for the link. Today he could do it with a button or dial.

But his lack of fluency on the piano certainly didn't affect his ability to write great music.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's tough for a lot of people to go out and listen to a singer-songwriter doing his/her own songs. Lack of familiarity is the problem. Others love it. There is certainly room for both in the world.

The important thing is to play music and be true to your own desires, whether it is cover tunes or your own, or even both.

I know a few bands that play covers and then after they have the audience already on their side for the evening, include a couple of originals. That works too.

I don't see why it should be an either/or situation.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To me it's not lack of familiarity, it's that the songs are bad.

There's a reason the classic songwriters are stars.

On KKJZ here in LA they have the "Indy Hour" on Saturday and Sunday afternoons as part of the blues programming. The music is always kickin, smokin hot stuff. That's because over the last 30 years there are literally hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of players who are in various stages of good. From merely good to awesomely good. They're all just like me or I'm like them, whatever. Good solid players who can't write for [*****].

All the lyrics going over this killer music is way too obvious, cliched, banal and trite. Did I cover all the possibilities?

A real song has lyrics that make you think. Good lyrics is poetry and poetry is not obvious. It catches your ear because you can't understand it right off, you know you like it but can't quite catch it so you listen again and again and even read about it.

That's a real songwriter.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
To me it's not lack of familiarity, it's that the songs are bad.

Do you think Diane Warren sat down at her piano and started writing hits immediately? Those of us who do try to write know that you are going to write about 100 awful songs before you write one that is anything close to not as bad as that first 100. Does that mean you quit trying? Quit performing your songs to see what is received and what is not? How did you sound on your first piano lesson?

There isn't a songwriter out there that doesn't think everything he writes is gold. The people will let you know if it's gold or pyrite by about the first chorus.

The way you get to be good at anything is to do it bad for a while first. Remember, even if you hit .300, you fail 7 out of 10 times.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

A real song has lyrics that make you think. Good lyrics is poetry and poetry is not obvious. It catches your ear because you can't understand it right off, you know you like it but can't quite catch it so you listen again and again and even read about it.

That's a real songwriter.

Bob

Bob I never thought of it that way but you are right. You have a great insight to music and lyrics.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great song are aural, intellectual and visceral, meaning that the have to be pleasing to listen to, make you think, and make you feel. The best example I can give is Sting. He tells stories in song as well as anybody, and after all, what are songs if not stories set to music?

There is a woman who is from the Cleveland area but now lives in Nashville. Her name is Anne E. DeChant. She is one of the best songwriters I know. Her lyrics are incredible from the standpoint that she paints pictures with them. Her use of metaphor is phenomenal. One song from her last album, entitled The Sun Coming In, is called Sunday Morning Drive (which charted well on the Americana chart). It's a story about a family piling into the car after church on a Sunday morning and just driving to nowhere. As the song passes you can just SEE the kids in the back playing, goofing around being kids, laughing.... and if any of you ever did that when you were kids, the relation to the lyrics will be palpable. Give her a listen on YouTube. Just search for her name. Song titles to look for are the aforementioned, Running Red Lights, Better Than This, Water in Whiskey, and Into Me. That's the starter kit. Many of you may want to visit her web page and buy some music after you hear her. She is someone I admire deeply and I am happy to call her friend.

THAT kind of music is what I go out to hear. ANYBODY can play Free bird, as evidenced by the fact that EVERYBODY does.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When I listen to a song, I listen to the music first, hearing the words only as articulations with no meaning. If the music interests me enough to give it more listening, I eventually get to the words. Which is probably why I suck at writing lyrics.

I'm interested in the melody, counter-melody, and how all the background parts interact with each other to support the melody. If there are themes and variations on those themes, it gets even better.

But I admit it, I'm weird.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, I'm the same way. I'm a player, not a singer so I never paid the slightest attention to lyrics except for certain musical cues which is why I never paid any attention to Dylan. All I heard was crappy folk guitar strumming and some neck harp with nasally bad vocals so I just turned it off. I can't count the times someone says here's one of my favorite songs and he tries to sing the first phrase and I have no clue. As a keyboard player starting with organ, if I can hear the musical hook for it, no problem. Oh yeah, that's the intro to Gimme Some Lovin or Oye Como Va or Elizabeth Reed. What's the words for that? Who cares. Like you said I'm listening to all the musical cues.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are songs where I listen in anticipation of a single riff, or a brass hit, or vocal inflection that may appear only one time in the song, because it really grabbed me (not that I don't like the rest of the song).

I do listen to lyrics, but I also generally listen to the music first (melody, interesting harmonies, interesting accompaniment, etc), and then the lyrics. And in general, I prefer songs that you can both play instrumentally as well as vocally and both ways are engaging.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Which is probably why I suck at writing lyrics.

I used to suck at free throws. Then one summer I spent the whole summer shooting free throws. I learned how to shoot free throws.

The however here is that in that case I WANTED to learn how tho shoot free throws. If you don't care about writing songs that have lyrics, that would be time wasted for you to sit and write lyrics until you get the prosody aspect down, where you say what you want to say and the lyrics fit the cadence of the music properly. It can be hard to make things rhyme and still be coherent and carry your thought. Somebody at your level though, Notes, your MUSIC tells the story, like Grover Washington's Winelight or Let It Flow. Those songs did not need lyrics. You know exactly what Grover wanted to say from hearing that melody. However, not everybody gets that concept.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, I'm the same way. I'm a player, not a singer so I never paid the slightest attention to lyrics except for certain musical cues<...snip...>

Bob

I ended up being a singer by necessity. After years of dealing with bands and depending on singers I decided that I need to learn this myself.

Some of the singers were diva/divo types, some were great, most were in between, but sooner or later a band broke up and it was easy to find musicians, but difficult to find professional singers.

It took a lot of practice. Fortunately as a trained wind instrument player I know how to breathe with my diaphragm and I know how to use breath support. That got step one of learning to be a singer out of the way.

Then was learning the muscle control needed to sing on pitch and use expressive devices so that it comes out like "SINGING" instead of singing (if you know what I mean.

I'm still not a great singer. I think I am physically challenged for that, the voice is a little nasal, and it lacks the 'edge' (opposite of muddy) that is all so important.

Fortunately, my wife is a first class, excellent singer, so she gets the hard songs. I sing about half of them in our duo, and if need be, I can do a single (I'd rather not).

The songs that I sing I pay attention to the lyrics so that I can try to get across what the songwriter is wanting. Singing a torch song like a pretty ballad doesn't really work. I use the same singing instincts that I use when playing sax - but I'm better at sax.

Still, when listening to something new, the music is what I hear first. The vocals are articulations with no meaning at first with the possible exception of a repeated hook. I'm listening to the music, how the voice interacts with all the other parts, how the other parts support the lead lines, and how the rhythm instruments interact with each other. I even listen to the vocal expressive devices as a musical instrument, and the attacks simply as articulations. If the music of the song can hold my interest enough, I'll get to the words.

But I know, I'm weird.

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195