Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Add-ons and UserTracks for Band-in-a-Box
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I've never had the time to research UserTracks creation very much. Some posts today got me interested.

For a UserTrack of jazz flugelhorn soloing to be useful to me and perhaps others, I think I would have to make a template of a BIAB song that would best have me record over almost all possible changes and keys. With extensions like b9, #9, 11, 13 and Alt chords and their combinations, in progressions, this would be a pretty long song, wouldn't it? I wouldn't want my style defaulting to playing major, minor, sus, augmented and diminished chords only, but instead get into the upper extensions and modes.

If my assumption is correct, has anyone made such a song template?

Thanks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
OK, after doing some research and receiving some wonderful tips from Frank (Seeker), I think what I need is a jazz version of this supplied Pop music template:

Pop UserTracks 30 minute template.zip

More detail: In the PG Music tutorial http://www.pgmusic.com/usertracks1.htm they have a Pop 1 minute and a Jazz 1 minute. But for the 10, 20 and 30 minute templates, there is only one for Pop, not for Jazz. The 30-minute Pop template says it has some jazz chords, but I need more extensions (even if the template has to be longer).

Is this a Wishlist item?

Thanks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You have a good ear Matt, you can chord out a RealTrack Jazz Soloist to create a template:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=203498

Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Oh - I see what you mean. Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
This is a very interesting discussion. I think the key to a Soloist RT is the link between a certain phrase and the underlying chord. I've heard some RT Soloists play basic pentatonic phrases over all kinds of complex extensions. Other times there will be something like a Gb9#5 chord and all the soloist does is play one note until the next chord change so obviously there is nothing there that encompasses that chord. This is just an observation, I have no idea how that chord/soloist link actually works.

Many of the midi soloists are much better than the RT soloists except of course for the overall sound quality and live nuances that's missing from midi. But as far as actual notes are concerned the midi soloists really do follow the changes better than the RT soloists do.

I think the reason for that is the file size limitation of the RT's. The RT artist would have to play so many different variations that the file size would be too big while midi can keep scrambling and creating note phrases almost endlessly. I say I think because it's just a guess.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
RapidComposerLE is great for fitting midi anywhere you like.
It will read the chords from BB Chord Output midi and give you the same chord sheet as BB.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RC_Midi_Rearrange.gif (1.04 MB, 1687 downloads)
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I can see a use for that, Pipeline, thanks.

Bob, I believe you understand what I'm asking; the soloist who vamps on a whole note because that particular chord extension wasn't in the song used as a template. I think you are correct based on an early experience I had with RealTracks: I discovered that one piano part didn't know what a minorMajor7 chord was, so every time I wrote that chord, the piano stopped playing for that measure. After I reported it to PG Music, they released a patch and it was fixed. It could have been miscoded, or maybe there really wasn't a recording snippet of that chord type - we don't know.

This is why I originally asked about the need for a jazz template song with all the chord types.

Veteran
Veteran
I love reading what the smart folk post! I have avoided some chords because of what the soloist played. Great Post

Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

I'm wondering, what if you found a style you believe could be enhanced with a jazz flugelhorn solo and identified the RealTracks used in the style.

Then you could take one of the Realtracks and run ALL the wave files through the Audio Chord Wizard. The Audio Chord Wizard can "build" the chord sheet or at least help you determine what chords that RealTracks instrument provides.

Once you have a chord sheet you can more easily determine what solo is appropriate.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thanks, Jim. This is one of many things that fell way down on my to-do list. Perhaps next year.

M
M
For making Jazz User Tracks, please do create a far more complex set of chords. I fell in love with BIAB because it had such a strong emphasis on jazz, salsa, blues, etc. However, making a user track is meaningless, unless the "training" template contains the many variations that you'd find in, e.g. the Jazz Real Books. Without a 9th, maj9th, flatted 9th, etc, one can't really create a useful jazz user track.

Since there's even an excellent video on making your own user tracks, a user gets a sudden disappointment when trying to do so. Since it makes sense to have this done in the same way the Pop User Track Templates were done, please DO get to this (I invested the $1k, & keep it up to date each year). It would make NO sense for each user to create their own TEMPLATE files, since each person who wants to use this feature for Jazz will re-invent the wheel!

The quality of BIAB is now rather impressive; please keep it moving to a better & better product!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
MarkAlan

A great first post and welcome to the forum.

This request might also get better attention in the Wishlist section of the forums.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
M
M
Thanks, I posted a very similar item about adding Jazz-specific User Track templates to the User Track Wishlist area. Is this the area you meant? Are there any user-created Jazz User Track Training templates posted elsewhere?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You just need someone with a good ear to load each track from a realtrack jazz instrument into RealBand or Biab then chord each one out and save them as Jazz UserTrack Templates.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
BUMP
would this still be contemporary ?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can make the UserTracks soloist in particular scales by using "Drum" in the name. Then when Bar 2 Bar regen is added (maybe this year) and change UserTrack at any bar with F5 things will be easy.
You can have a lot a separate SGUs this way it will be more random and not playing the next lot of bars in the one SGU but choosing from the other SGUs.
Any phrases can be kept together in the UserTrack bar settings.
You can set any parts as A,B fill, post fill, ending.

Now with Melodyne 5 it will get the chords and scales, the chords can be exported as midi > Lead Sheet
So you can scale and chord out the RealTracks to make a UserTrack template.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Melodyne5.png (95 KB, 101 downloads)
Melodyne5-2.png (89.44 KB, 101 downloads)
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thanks for reviving this thread, Pipeline. It’s amazing this goes back four years. Also you mention Melodyne 5, and I just upgraded.

If I’m reading your ideas correctly, you are proposing to create the jazz template by extracting chords from RealTracks. I wouldn’t have any trouble transcribing chords that are played but I’m not sure how that helps here. My assumption is that UserTracks must be created in a certain way for them to be useable by BIAB and I don’t know how to set that up with complex chords.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That's all set in the F5 UserTracks Development, if you can chord and key it out, record it, then go into the settings.
It helps if you have the file in RealBand or you DAW with a 2 bar offset for the count-in so the bar numbers line up, then you can play it while setting the F5 UserTracks settings in Biab.
So if a riff you want Biab to play starts on 9 and ends on 12 you can
Don’t start a new Riff on this bar 10-12,

If you want you can add them to
Only choose this bar if the key matches 9-12
and/or
Only play this for a post fill 9-12

Material in A or B part markers should play in their section.
Remember to hit the Update as you go.

The more playing you have the better as it's less likely to over transpose things, there are 12key RealTrack but it depends how keen you are.
You just need to experiment with it and if you are happy with the results use it or upload it.

-------------------------------------
UserTrack Settings F5

Bar # and Chorus # indicate the current song location. This is the bar where the settings will be applied, but you can apply them to a range of bars if you enter a list (3,5,7) and/or range (10-20, 25-28) of bars, separated by commas, in the edit control box under Enter a Range of Bars.

Press the [Update] button to save the settings.

Don’t include this bar in the UserTracks excludes the current bar (or range of bars, if set) from the UserTracks and will never be used.

Ending starts on this bar (4 bar ending) sets the current bar as the first bar of the 4 bar ending.

Don’t start a new Riff on this bar
prevents the current bar from being used as the start of a new riff. This is useful if the bar has sustained notes carried over from the previous bar and no new attack of a note.

Don’t End a Riff at the start of this bar means that the current bar (or list of bars in the edit control) will not be used to end a riff at the start of the bar. This is useful if the previous bar doesn’t have a defined ending for a riff.

Only choose this bar if the key matches allows the bar to be used only if the user’s song key matches the key of this song. So, if this is the IV chord, it would only get chosen if it will be the IV chord in the user’s song.

This bar is simple sets the bar to use simple riffs.

Only Play this for a fill sets the current bar as a fill, which will only be played where the user’s song is also a fill.

Only play this for a post fill (after a fill) sets the current bar (or list of bars in the edit control) to only play after a fill in the user’s song.

Odd/Even must match sets the current bar to play in the user’s song only if the odd/even status (bars after a part marker) matches the user’s song.

Always play this bar if it matches means that the current bar (or list of bars) will always get played, as long as its chord and other settings are compatible. It overrides any other riffs that match.

Once is enough (don’t repeat this) sets the bar to only be played once in a song. Use for an unusual riff that you don’t want repeated.

Bar/Beat Markers
You can set the location of the bar or beat markers if the riff doesn’t start on the bar or beat. You can set the location in ms offset, and also set the riff marker type, begin and/or end. The offsets can be set visually in the Audio Edit window.

C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
I’m still a newbie and have never tried to create a UserTrack. But have some ideas for tracks, so going to ask a possibly naive question. Does BiaB care whether a Usertrack was created from the jazz template versus the pop template? Why not just create one use the most complex 30 minute Pop template with the extra chords?

Another question - can a UserTrack be created in 3/4 time?

Chuck Wiggins

BIAB 2023 Win UltraPak, Cakewalk, Windows 10 Pro
Custom AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, Focusrite Scarlett 4x4 interface

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chuckwigginsmusic
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1cGfP_abwQWwhX6TRcYsg
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can do a 90min one if you like, the more material/chords/variety the better.
Yes it will do 3/4 now, seems to work good.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195