Options
Index
#375447 - 11/21/16 11:43 AM [User Showcase] New Song Post: A Better Man
Loc: France, but I'm an ex-pat Brit
mglinert Offline
Expert

New song : A Better Man

Written, played, sung, mixed and mastered by myself in October/November 2016.

Title : A Better Man
Background : more of my quest to write the perfect pop song!
Which tracks were recorded by you : All of them
Which tracks were generated by Band-in-a-Box / RealBand : none of them in the final mix, but the former used as a composition aid
Other programs used in the production : PG Music's Power Tracks Pro Audio V.12
Effects used in the production : nothing out of the ordinary

Thanks in advance for listening...

Edited by mglinert (11/21/16 12:00 PM)

#375487 - 11/21/16 02:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Marc,

A good pop write. The repeating theme/signature of the keys drives it nicely. Has the feel/sound of the AM hits we listened to growing up. The Turtles, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Freddie and the Dreamers...

Enjoyed listening.

floyd

#375489 - 11/21/16 03:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
I agree with Floyd. This is a cool pop write. I enjoyed it.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#375494 - 11/21/16 03:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
A good write, and an interesting tune.

Would you be able to post the lyrics?
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#375503 - 11/21/16 04:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Marc, the is really a neat pop tune! I really liked it. Thanks, Torrey

#375517 - 11/21/16 05:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent vocal and lyric.

#375547 - 11/22/16 03:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
mglinert Offline
Expert

Many thanks Torrey, Scott, VideoTrack, David, Floyd for these kind words. Floyd – I love all of those bands so I take that as a huge thumbs up !
VideoTrack – happy to oblige:

A Better Man

I’d get my share
I wouldn’t care
I’d make the others pay

I’d show no fear
I’d domineer
I’d always get my way

And I’d take from life
As much as I can
If I were a better man

I’d stake my claim
I’d take no blame
I’d never be proved wrong

I’d buy it all
I’d have a ball
I’d party all night long

And I’d take from life
As much as I can
If I were a better man
- - - -
One day I’ll empathise
I’ll compromise
I’ll open up my mind

I’ll innovate
I’ll celebrate
I’ll leave the past behind

And I’ll give the world
As much as I can
Cause I’ll be a better man

#375552 - 11/22/16 03:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Marc,

It's good to see you back in the forum. It's been a while!

I like what you've created. You always manage to find some good, interesting perfect rhymes when you compose. I envy your talent. The arrangement you've built around the melody is inventive. That must have taken a bit of time to get together.

I enjoyed the listen.

All the best,
Noel

#375624 - 11/22/16 12:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marc,

A good pop write. The repeating theme/signature of the keys drives it nicely. Has the feel/sound of the AM hits we listened to growing up. The Turtles, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Freddie and the Dreamers...

Enjoyed listening.

floyd

Agreed!! Particularly, on the "if I were a better man" line, I hear Beatles or Dave Clark Five. I love the 60's and this song takes me back. Nice job Marc!! Take care. Greg

#375636 - 11/22/16 01:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: Noel96]
mglinert Offline
Expert

Noel,
So good to hear those dulcet Aussie tones again!

It certainly has been a while but I'm pleased to say a lot of the reason for that is that my 'music' time was spent out playing live with a hard working covers band.

Have put that on hold for a while and renovated my ageing home studio, chiefly by replacing the PC. Hence the renewed interest in writing/recording and just playing around.

Well I wish I had your ears and commitment Noel - nothing escapes you. and while I dabble, you're 3 metres under with oxygen and everything.

As for the rhymes - and why are we here if not to share tips - I'm at Rhymezone.com so much I have actually memorised some of the more frequently occuring rhymes!

It took me a while to sort out the composition in my head. But once I started, the whole thing was put together in probably no more than 20 hours or so.

I'll be catching up on your recent output Noel

G'day

Marc

#375638 - 11/22/16 01:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: Greg Johnson]
mglinert Offline
Expert

Greg just don't get me started on the Hollies, the Tremeloes and the Kinks. We'll be here all night!
Thanks for your kind words,

#375730 - 11/22/16 05:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Marc,

Great to have you back! This is such a pretty song. I love the feel and your voice is so easy on the ears... Bet that cover band is gonna miss you. Hope to see/hear more of your here.

#376124 - 11/23/16 01:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Will B - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Awesome stuff, Marc. I'd say you're well on the way on your quest to the perfect pop song! I love those 16th notes on the snare, and that marimba melody (what is that?) that comes in halfway through is wonderful.

#376581 - 11/24/16 11:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
mglinert Offline
Expert

Thanks Josie, PG's own Will for your kind comments,

- It's great to be back too. I have missed all of you and look forward to catching up on your output.

Will - the solo patch is the Kalimba from my Synth (Roland Juno-D). It is found in the World section. Story about the solo is I knew that that is where I wanted a few bars of solo so I played whatever just as a marker. That is the solo that is still on the track! I tried lots of other stuff but nothing else sounded right. Perhaps I'd just got used to my original idea.

#376671 - 11/25/16 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Will B - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: mglinert
Thanks Josie, PG's own Will for your kind comments,

- It's great to be back too. I have missed all of you and look forward to catching up on your output.

Will - the solo patch is the Kalimba from my Synth (Roland Juno-D). It is found in the World section. Story about the solo is I knew that that is where I wanted a few bars of solo so I played whatever just as a marker. That is the solo that is still on the track! I tried lots of other stuff but nothing else sounded right. Perhaps I'd just got used to my original idea.

Ah, OF COURSE that's a Juno-D. That's why it sounds so good! It's funny how often that happens -- the quick'n'cheap scratch ideas end up staying all the way to the end!

#378145 - 11/29/16 12:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: A Better Man [Re: mglinert]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
As floyd wrote " Has the feel/sound of the AM hits we listened to growing up..."

Well done!

We enjoyed it!

J&B

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Dutch for Windows is Here!

We zijn bezig geweest en hebben 80 nieuwe functies toegevoegd en een verbazingwekkende collectie van nieuwe inhoud, inclusief 202 RealTracks, nieuwe RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumentale Studies, Artiest Uitvoeringen, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums transcripties, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Stijlen PAK 10 en meer!

Nieuwe Functies | Pakketten

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Danish for Windows is Here!

Vi har haft travlt, og har tilføjet 80 nye funktioner og en fantastisk samling af nyt indhold, bl.a. 202 RealTracks, nye RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transsriptioner, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 og meget mere!

Hvan er Nyt | Pakker

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Update Available!

The latest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 update for Windows enhances the JukeBox, adds a "Set all tracks to this:" option to the MIDI import dialog, improves chord sheet view during playback, and more!

Learn more & download this free update.

Read the patch announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Swedish for Windows is Here!

Vi har varit flitiga och lagt till över 80 nya funktioner och en fantastisk samling av nytt innehåll, innefattande 202 RealTracks, nya RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, med mera!

Paket | Vad är nytt

Update Your RealBand 2021 Today!

The latest version of RealBand 2021 is ready to download and add to your existing 2021 installation!

With this update we've addressed many user reported issues. We brought back the option to save mono WMA files, made Band-in-a-Box notation slurs visible in RealBand notation, decreased the frequency of warning messages about sampling rates, added program stability when selecting FlexASIO driver, and more!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Audio Edit Window Tips!

In Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows you can view the audio on any track in the Audio Edit Window.

While you're there, check out the new hotkeys we've added:

-Home key: moves the cursor to the beginning of a track.
-Home+Shift keys: move the left cursor to the beginning of a track.
-End key: moves the cursor to the end of a track.
-End+Shift keys: move the right cursor to the end of a track.
-Ctrl+A keys: select the whole track.

Jump to this topic in our New Features video.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Chord Sheet Improvements!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2021 we added some handy features to the Chord Sheet, which you can now copy-and-paste chords into with simple text! There are new zoom buttons, part-marker time signature display, additions to the right-click menu, and more. We've even updated the Chord Sheet to resize and make more room for the improved Mixer Window!

We've highlighted some of these additions within our 2021 New Features Video:

Easy changing of lines per page & bars per line 17:49
Time signature displays on main page 18:50
Visual transpose in main screen display 19:05
Visual transpose setting in notation 19:48
Copy and Paste chords 60:04

Forum Stats
34211 Members
67 Forums
68987 Topics
592262 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM