Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi colly,

I was responding to jazzmandan's original question. I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough in my post.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I guess to each his own--in everything.

I LOVE Sonar because it seems intuitive and has some great onboard effects (though I have about 200 + Xtra VSTs.) I just really like the workflow of it and the layout.

For composing, I would never think to edit in staff view, I would do that in Finale or even Guitar Pro and then reimport the midi. Oddly enough, I find Guitar Pro much easier to edit in than Finale (because it is, I guess), the only drawback being you need Finale to run the Garritan Libaries, or a DAW like Sonar that handles it.

At the end of the day I think we all build systems that suit us.

I guess I have said a million times I still record in Real Band because it so easy, and reliable. My old workhorse. And it generates those real track and midi tracks. What a Bargain!!

smile

Off-Topic
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
No probs if you look at page two.

That's were it all began.

I was answering a post .

Bob said,

Take Care

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LOL!!! I love it, Matt. Took a class this summer and got to know it and now I am learning more as I go on my own. Bought the program AND a new rocket sauce PC to run it so I am now in neck deep as far as expenses go, so I am going to keep running with it. And again, my application is not like anybody else's. I may do another CD, I may not. I just want to know how to use Pro Tools and the only way to learn how to swim is to jump in the deep end. So $2000 later... LOL!!!

So, boom as in mic drop.

I actually bought TWO computers for Pro Tools. The first was a used HP with an i5 but the mobo only went to 16gb or RAM. The brand new one is an i7 with 32gb of RAM and it runs so fast the commands complete before I finish the mouse click!

As usual, this is just me.

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/25/16 05:01 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
oooh what the .... cross wires sorry Eddie ,,David,,,Noel ,,.,

Off-Topic
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
And Jim SORRY .
take care

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What you are going to get here is little more than a vote for what each poster uses. If this guy uses that DAW and knows it well, of course it is easy to use. FOR HIM. Usually what you get is "This is what I could get for free (or very little money) and I don't want to spend a lot of money because I am not a professional full time musician." I have read these kinds of posts for years here. This guy says Reaper is the best ever. That guy says Sonar. Yet another says Samplitude.

Remember what BIAB/RB is supposed to be. It is a composition tool. It HAS a DAW in it, but it is not meant to be a major league studio DAW for producers who rent out their studio for money.

The best analogy I can use is that you CAN drive nails with the back of your electric drill, but is that what your electric drill is made for?

My perspective is based only on this. If I go to 50 basketball games, and every gym uses Spalding as their house basketball, there must be a reason for that, and that reason could possibly be that Spalding is the best basketball. If most major studios use, and have been using, Pro Tools, draw your own conclusion. Then you get the crew that still records analog on 2 inch tape, making that cliche claim about how analog recording makes the best sound. Well, I disagree. I suspect that for that subset of recording people the issue is more likely that they are not computer strong and don't want to invest the time to learn Pro Tools.

I leave you with this. When has more knowledge, about ANY topic, ever been a bad thing? Aren't we supposed to keep growing and expanding as we go through life? Learn something new. If it's in music, learn a new instrument. Learn new software. If it's outside of music, take up cooking if you can't cook. Take up woodworking if you can't cut a straight line or drive a nail. Study the physics of how an airplane flies. (Everybody kinda sorta knows about high pressure under the wing and lower pressure over the wing, but there's more. Ailerons, flaps, slats, rudders, elevators, pitot tubes....) Make some waves in your life. A boat that doesn't rock at all is also probably dead in the water.

But, yeah. Pro Tools. LOL!

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/25/16 04:59 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All these DAWs are great in knowledgeable hands. Some don't handle MIDI at all, so they are out of consideration here. My experience in pro studios has been that they use Pro Tools and it crashes more than they like.

You will notice I primarily use one DAW and yet I cited only the area that is considered a weakness.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't have much experience with Pro Tools yet but the "crashes" I see are usually the result of the computer being "under-rammed". The plugins eat ram like I used to eat wings (in competition).

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You may be right about both!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
After many years of Reaper I am seeing some cracks in its armor and this may be a good time to look elsewhere.

Since I am on a PC I am considering Cakewalks Sonar Artist.

I need:

1) a "professional" package
2) Solid performance - meaning bug free
3) Must handle midi as well as the best
4) must have a good user forum for help as needed
5) must be compatible with my collection of VSTs

Any thoughts?

Dan, I would suggest having a look at the Cakewalk lineup. Before you jump in, I would suggest either downloading the demo version of Sonar, or to enter for a lesser sum of money, get the Music Creator 7 DAW.

While the MC7 DAW is considered to be a "beginner's DAW" I would beg to differ. It is a full featured DAW and will run 99.9% of the professionally written VST's, synths, and FX plugs on the market. The only things I found that would NOT run on Music Creator were in fact, not the VST itself, but the sound sample set for some third party written things. And that was a sound font set supposedly written for SFZ. In addition, when you buy MC7, you get a bunch of synths and plugs that, if sold by themselves, would be worth the cost of the entire package. I really love the Cakewalk Sound Center Synth. Sampled sounds and a bunch of inexpensive add-on packs are available depending on what you need.

I ran the MC line on my DAW for many years and never exceeded it's capabilities. MC7 has actually broken through some of the limitations that MC, 4,5 & 6 had. I haven't kept up with the specs but I think it now allows more than 2 inputs at a time and the synth limit of 8 is now 24 IIRC.

Sonar and MC both have a very active and knowledgeable forum membership. I was quite active in the MC forums for a time and still pop in over there to assist with questions and problems. I have never regretted buying the Cakewalk line.

The only question you need to ask yourself regarding cakewalk is which product will do the job you need? Look at the specs and make that decision for yourself.

I have used the MC line with great results and satisfaction for years and only cross graded to Sonar X1 essentials because CW offered a "no-brainer" cross-grade deal to get X1e at a killer price. It does everything I need.

Here>>> http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Music-Creator

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

Although I mentioned MultiTrack Studio in an earlier post it is not the DAW I use; I mentioned that DAW because I admire the feature of having a relatively complete set of general midi instrument patches built-in.

My DAW of choice is Music Creator. I started with version 2 and have advanced up to version 6. The current version is version 7.

I'm not sure if you know it but PG Music sells Music Creator. PG Music's page is ++ HERE ++.

As Herb stated you get some good accessories with Music Creator. For me the biggies are the TTS-1 multi timbrel soft synth and Studio Instruments which includes electric bass, electric piano, acoustic drums and strings virtual instruments.

Groove 3 has a comprehensive set of Music Creator 6 tutorial videos. You can find out more about them ++ HERE ++ . I have the video set and can attest they are like having a knowledgeable good friend spend a day advising you. I use the videos as a reference much more than the manual.

With version 7 of Music Creator you have the choice of downloading 32 bit, 64 bit or both. I suggest getting the 32 bit version. Then the accessories (like TTS-1 and Studio Instruments) will also be 32 bit and will work with BiaB and RB without having to use a bit bridge.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hey, Guitarhacker, what are the cracks you experience in Reapers armor? It's probably moving from version 5.xx up to 6.xx soon. My assumption only since 5.xx has been around a while and 6.xx would mean more sales for them. But, what are the weaknesses you are finding? Maybe there's a solution without moving to a completely new DAW.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tobias
Hey, Guitarhacker, what are the cracks you experience in Reapers armor? It's probably moving from version 5.xx up to 6.xx soon. My assumption only since 5.xx has been around a while and 6.xx would mean more sales for them. But, what are the weaknesses you are finding? Maybe there's a solution without moving to a completely new DAW.

Best to put this thread to rest.

I opened it in the midst of extreme frustration with inserting Kontakt into Reaper. I was just amazed that it was such a convoluted mess to set up a multi channel synth in the software. I went through the exact same experience two years ago working with ST3 in Reaper. So when Kontakt came along I couldn't believe how I had forgotten all the routing. Was it me? or was it Reaper? I was quick to blame the latter.

Fact is, I have now calmed down, Kontakt is running fine on my machine in Reaper. I had downloaded Sonar-Artist during my meltdown and could not even figure out how to create a midi track in 20 minutes of messing around. So I am sticken with the Reap.

Sorry if I stressed anyone out - my initial post was genuine and I do appreciate all the feedback, but cooler heads have prevailed. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I use Sonar so I have no clue about Reaper. Don't have Reaper and never will.

Must have been that noise in your head again.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I use Sonar so I have no clue about Reaper. Don't have Reaper and never will.

Must have been that noise in your head again.

Huh! Whaah? What was that? Did somebody say something?

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan -

I'm glad you have come to terms with Reaper, but if you are interested in something else, you might want to take a look at Groove3 videos.

Groove3 has some excellent Sonar tutorials that show you how to do just about everything. Eli Krantzberg is excellent in his presentations and covers a lot of material to get you up and running pretty quickly.

They had a sale not too long ago and I got a one year subscription to everything Groove3 has for not much money (they have an all-access pass sale going right now for $75).

They also have videos for Abelton Live, Cubase, FL Studio, ProTools, Reason, Reaper, Sonar, Studio One, and Tracktion.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199