#378354 11/29/16 06:43 PM
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
OK guys and gals....First time poster. I am a newbie, here is my story.Started young on keyboards (like 7) changed to bass around 20.Played in various bands and what not till late 30's.Quit playing,had a career and mouths to feed. With 20 plus odd years with out playing,kids out of college and on there own,I get the bug.I could not believe how technology has pass me by as I see everything that the internet and new programs have to offer. With plenty of money now in my pocket that I didn't have years ago,I purchased a new AM Fender Jazz bass, amp and goodies. I told my wife the disease has started. This weekend my new Ultrapak arrived and off I go into my own little world. I am blown away by this software,the realtracks sounds amazing.Very intuitive for a hack like me, however its also a bit intimidating. The whole midi thing is something I really want to get my arms around,but I see I need to peel this onion one layer at a time.I have gone thru the videos and tutorials,but manual but still feel lost.Generating songs from realtracks/styles is quite simple,trying to add a soloist or multiple soloist to parts of the song...not so simple yet. I think bringing aboard this beginner forum is a great idea.As others have said,it can be intimidating to ask questions in the more experienced forums. There appears to be very helpful and knowledgeable staff and users alike,and probably a bunch of old guys like me looking to learn something new. Thank you!! I will have many questions to ask....as soon as I understand what to ask!

BIAB 2020 Ultrapak HP Elitebook 8770W Intel I7 2.3GHz 12GB
Windows 10pro 64Bit
props2 #378424 11/29/16 10:37 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum Props. I can relate to your story! I did not play my guitar for 10 years while I was busy bringing up two children but purchased BIAB in 2013 and it has quite literally changed my life!

Here is a blog post I wrote a while back that you might enjoy.

6 simple steps to make cool backing tracks using Band-in-a-Box

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
props2 #378448 11/30/16 01:57 AM
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure this bug will be one you'll not want to get over again. There are quite a few journeys taken by forum members that are similar to yours.

A tip for when the time comes that you post a question in the forum is to include some technical information about your setup and gear. There are variations between the yearly versions of BIAB/RB and for the past few years, each year has featured around 50 enhancements. Some significant and some minor. The specific version and accessories of your BIAB is important information.

Your particular situation that you ask about may sometimes be affected by the particular BIAB version or elements of your computer such as memory, sound card, audio interface, drivers or even if it is a pc or mac.

As you browse through forum posts, you'll see some, (Me too) put this information in their signature.

Many times that information leads to a quick reply and solution to your situation very quickly.

If you write songs, I look forward to hearing you on the Users Showcase and PG Radio on Soundcloud.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/30/16 02:00 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
props2 #378453 11/30/16 02:20 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Props2, welcome to the neighborhood. You'll enjoy it here, that's a certainty!
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
props2 #378454 11/30/16 02:35 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Props....

Welcome. This is some cool stuff and a great bunch of folks here.

As you dig in, and run into issues, just ask the question in the forum that best suits the subject matter. There is a general BAND IN A BOX forum and a general REAL BAND forum as well as several specialized topic forums. You're more likely to get a timely answer in the correct forum as more folks will see it.

Feel free to ask any question you need an answer for.

It really helps if you have a DAW and use it in the process. DAW = digital audio workstation. Or... in other words, a recording studio in the computer. Many here use BB to sketch out the rough structure of the song, we use Real Band to render the audio tracks, and then we put it all together and edit in the DAW. (Real Band is a DAW also)

Poke around in the showcase and also look at some of the user's signatures since we post links to our music in the signatures.

Have a listen. Get to know the people here. Many of us mix live playing in with the real tracks for some really top quality results.

Most of all, have fun with this technology. I love this stuff. My band is always ready to go, they play professionally, work cheap, don't show up drunk, voice no complaints about the songs, no one shows up late to the gig, and the drummer doesn't try to hit on my wife. How does it get any better than that?

Once you get some original music recorded, be sure to share it in the User Showcase.

Again... Welcome to the asylum.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
props2 #378480 11/30/16 04:54 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome Props!

I am posting a chord lesson for you in a few seconds. Welcome to the forum.

Write some stuff and let us hear it!!

smile

props2 #378481 11/30/16 05:02 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum. I can't help much with bass questions but you've already had welcomes from some fine players. Ask your questions and someone will know. If you don't know what to ask, ask anyway.

If we users don't know the answers, then PG Music Support is easily available and they are friendly and skilled. This is my favorite company to work with, no question.

Enjoy. And come out of the den once in awhile.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
props2 #378498 11/30/16 06:19 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to one of the warmest and friendliest places on the Internet. All questions are welcomed and answered with kindness, i.e. no Read The Freaking (PC language here) Manual.

I have been playing guitar for many years, the last 30+ in wedding bands. Now with BiaB I play what I want when I want. Along with guitar I also play bass, some wind controller and a little keyboards.

Have fun and don't be afraid to ask any question that you might have.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
props2 #378531 11/30/16 08:05 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome Props2!

An easy way to get some killer soloists right off the bat is to open your BIAB song in Realband. Then select a track where you want your soloist generated and highlight how many bars you want it to play. Next choose generate and from that menu choose generate riffs - pick your soloist and choose ok and then play the different riffs (press the green play arrow). When you find one that suits you choose okay. If you don't like any of the riffs you hear just choose cancel and do it again as each time the riffs selection will be different. You can also generate a soloist on an entire track and then cut out or mute the parts you don't want or copy and paste parts where you want them.

This is a way to start havng fun now. Later you can get into midi and writing your own solos in BIAB. Remember real tracks are not controlled by midi. You don't have to know how to use midi to make great songs right out of the box with BIAB and Realband. You can create some great original songs or make backing tracks with some of the best players on the planet playing solos for you using the method I described above.

99.9% of my songs are all real tracks.

Hope that helps and have fun!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Great tip Josie!!!!

props2 #378643 11/30/16 04:20 PM
Beginners Forum
P
props2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thank you All for the kind words. I have noticed as I browse thru the threads you all are huge contributors and have a vast knowledge of this software(and probably many other add on's).

Joanne, I checked out your blog.....great song! Sound is excellent!

Charlie, I will add the signature and include my meager setup. I don't have an interface yet so I cant record. I am researching that kind of stuff the more I learn what I don't know.

My playing style is more jazz/funk, but also like some great country music,and quite frankly a good variety of music.

I have listened to a bunch of really,really good music from the user's here on the board. Wow...great stuff!

Thank you all again for the big welcome....I feel very much at home.

BIAB 2020 Ultrapak HP Elitebook 8770W Intel I7 2.3GHz 12GB
Windows 10pro 64Bit
props2 #381421 12/09/16 05:46 PM
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Josie,

sThis looks like sometihing I really would like to be able to do. I havent figred out how in BIAB in past but will reaally have ot start playisng with RB w. It would really be nice if you could come up with a vidio showing you going through the different steps.

Earl

Last edited by earl kirby; 12/09/16 05:47 PM.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195