#378311 11/29/16 04:58 PM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
S
StevieB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I am in the process of writing a Country rock song, and just about have the structure and form of the song figured out. The song features a guitar riff, which I have written in my head, and have then tried to produce in midi using the Piano Roll screen. I want a Rock style, "twangy" lead guitar style sound for the riff. However I am not happy with the guitar sound I am getting, from the Cyote DXI synth which tends to sound halfway between a piano and a highly synthesized pad. I do not play electric guitar so cannot record it, and create it that way. I notice there are no Midi Super Tracks for electric lead guitar so that can't help me, and because I want it to follow a definite pattern I have written, cannot use a Real Track as that will do its own thing.
Just wondering if anyone has had success getting a "realistic" guitar sound doing something similar to what I'm trying?

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum. I have no clue as to the answer for your genre, but give it time; we have some fine guitarists here.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
L
Expert
Expert
L
Not easy. The jazz guitar tends to sound the best in basic midi. Electric's sound dreadful. Real Guitar or something similar with sampled guitar would be the way to go, I guess. There may be a sampled guitar in the BIAB version of SampleTank? Perhaps someone could record the riff for you? Depends how hard. Put a mp3 copy of your riff up for us to listen to and replicate.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
If you can send me a pm with a link to the following:
1. High quality .mp3 of the song without the guitar part
2. Same as 1 but including your midi track
3. An example guitar tone from a different song

I will take a crack at it. If you like what I did, I will send you back the guitar track by itself in the format of your choice and you decide what you might like to pay for such.

Scott

Expert
Expert
"Just wondering if anyone has had success getting a "realistic" guitar sound doing something similar to what I'm trying?"
To answer the above question "NO!" and no matter how hard you try you probably won't either. Not unless you are ready to spend big bucks on a synthesizer. Even then, probably would not convince most people that it is a real Twangy lead guitar.
However, if you use a midi wind synth, breath controller or have a top of the line hardware synth and are really, really good with a mod wheel you might get close.
I like lambada's idea, write it out in midi along with the rest of your song, post it up on soundcloud for us to here. Some of us might record the part for you, email it to you, you can import it to a track in your DAW and mute the midi track you made. If you do this you should post the entire song with count in and intro bars and all. That will make the recorded guitar track line up easily once you get it back.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
As others have mentioned, the answer is, for the most part, "no".

Guitars as well as some other instruments such as horns and reeds, tend to not sound very realistic in Midi. Although that is getting better. However, the synths that can do that are fairly costly and have a learning curve.

For the time being and with low budgets, it's best to ask a friend to help lay down the track.

In this and other recording forums, you can easily find a guitarist willing to play the track for a small consideration. It could be money, swapping skills if you can sing or play another instrument for one of their projects, and some will do it just for grins to have some fun as long as the use is non-commercial.

The best way to garner interest is to get the song figured out, and then post a draft copy in the User Showcase stating that you'd like to have someone play the guitar part. That way, people can hear the tune, decide if it's something they want to do and PM you to get the ball rolling.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
S
StevieB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions - I guess the only issue with recording the part and importing the song into a DAW such as Real Band would be changing the key at some stage in the future if needed. Would that be possible with a recorded guitar track?

Expert
Expert
It can be done in a good DAW. But, pitch changing has a negative effect on sound quality. 1 or 2 semitones up or down might be okay. Much more than that and you decide if you still like the way it sounds or not.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
It's called planning.

Essentially you DO NOT want to change the key. Once you determine the key you want to leave it. Most singers can sing a few steps up or down. I had one who asked me to move the song one half a step. Seriously?

Anytime you move the key you end up with artifacts if you try to use a pitch changer of some sort to do it. Melodyne is the best for this process BUT.... it too will display artifacts for larger moves.

With BB & RB, moving a song to a different key is no big issue. It simply takes a bit of time and effort to render the tracks again in the new key and mix them. If you are using a DAW, it becomes a bit more complicated but not a brick wall to overcome.

There was a free mp3 pitch and tempo changer that did a reasonable job but it only worked with mp3's. You can google it.

www.herbhartley.com

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
you may be able to comp your riff in RealBand. Select the lead solo guitar 'sound' you are looking for and generate a track over the chord progression it plays. A realTrack is a finite piece of audio but some RealTracks are quite long. While your original riff may not be played in the audio, it is likely it is hidden there in tiny pieces. RealBand has a handy tool to help you find pieces. It's called multiriff.

Multiriff generates 7 versions from selected audio or an entire track. That is a total of 8 variations including the original. Each variation can be saved to it's own separate track and these tracks can be cut and pieced into a new variation made from these 8 tracks.

Before you get to the above step, you can generate multiple tracks to select from to start your search in multiriff from the variation you selected from the multiple tracks generated over the same chord progression. That narrows your search.

To create variations from your multiple starting tracks, RB allows you to change the chord progression and generate an new track without changing the previously generated tracks. This will provide greater variations to the new tracks. For instance, in your chord progression a C chord could be changed to C2,C7, Cdim, Caug, Cmaj7 or even AM, AM7 or pushes added. Experiment.

There may also be similar RealTracks you can use to generate multiriffs from new audio. In RealPicker look for variations of the RT you chose. There may be a (bluesy) variation, held chord variation or something similar. Search other guitar solos made by the artist of the RT you are using. They may have played a useable RT with another guitar...

The idea is to find 'snippets' of the riff that's in your head and cut and past these snippets from the huge Realtrack audio database into your specific riff. You may or may not get it exact but you should certainly be able to get very close or at least to something useable.

There are easier methods and the methods are likely much quicker as well, but this is a fun way thing to try if you have the time.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
S
StevieB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks heaps for the great feedback.

The reason why I would like to be able to change key, is that my voice is quite deep, and truthfully, not all that suited to Country - plus, it's hard to hide my Aussie accent. So, how I've done things in the past is to do an initial demo in a key that I can sing, and if it sounds good to that point, go to the next step and pay a professional singer to do a better quality demo. The professional singer, whether male or female, will usually ask for it to be a couple of tones higher.

I'll try the multiriff idea, and vary the chords - together with cutting and pasting sections into another track. I guess too, that if I put a chord variation on each beat, and maybe nudge the chords a little here and there, I might be able to help things get pretty close to the rythm and timing required. Should be fun trying to figure it out anyway.

If you're interested, my music is at:
https://soundcloud.com/stevebarnesmusic

One of the songs there "Still Blow my Mind" has the type of riff and guitar sound I'm aiming for.That's also my voice on that one.

Steve.

L
Expert
Expert
L
Sam smiles is great. Great recording, great voices. I like county with an Australian Accent (Brizzy boy) Nothing wrong with Australian Country. :-)

Actually, all the tracks I've listened to are great, recording quality and songs themselves.

Last edited by lambada; 12/01/16 08:18 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
S
StevieB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks for listening - and the positive feedback.

Those songs were done in a professional studio. My strenth is writing music, but as I only play acoustic guitar, it's sometimes tricky for a collaborating lyricist to "get" my musical ideas, and sometimes songs don't progress as I feel they could. Also, I can't afford to take every musical idea into a studio. I would like to use BIAB to get demos to say 70-80% of what the finished product could sound like rather than say the 20% that my current acoustic guitar versions are.

Steve.

Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box.

If "When Sam Smiles" is representative of your singing voice then I think you're making a mistake using other singers as I do not find your accent a distraction.

"Chase The Heart" is an interesting instrumental. Is there a story behind the song?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
S
StevieB Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Unfortunately, When Sam Smiles is not my singing and was sung by a session singer. My voice is on Still Blow my Mind, and as you can hear, is not that great for American Country. The song Chase a Heart was a different take on the lyrics from the song in my list In Tune.I'm still hoping to get a lyricist to wite something for it at some stage

Steve.

Veteran
Veteran
Steve,

Man you have a good voice. You may not like it but it's decent. Nothing wrong with it. There are a number of Nashville artists who have a deeper voice than you.

If those songs are any indication of how you write, man, you're gonna fit in nicely here and you'll be collaborating with some of the writers here in short order.

Still Blows My Mind is good, and you sing it well. In fact they're all good. You don't need a new singer, you just need to sing those tunes and not worry about anything else.

www.herbhartley.com

W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
"Still Blow My Mind" is awesome, Steve! You've got a really wonderful voice, I mean that. Country isn't about having an American accent... sing away in my opinion! Being different from everyone else is often a plus in the music industry, too.

Will - PG Music
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Steve, my offer still stands. I can get close to what your studio cats provided.

Veteran
Veteran
Stevie,

I believe I could write some lyrics to Chase a Heart in about 10 minutes.

Great song.

I would call it "Chase Your Heart" though. I heard myself mumbling some stuff listening to it.

Great song.

I
Expert
Expert
I
Why not replace it with either a harmonica or organ for now?

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,451
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195