Go To
#378848 12/01/16 09:54 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I've bought every upgrade since before time. I love the program but...
I just can't see any good reason to spend my annual $150-200 on this upgrade.
Very few new features, 32 bit, new content? meh, Anything new in RB
I hope someone can talk me into changing my mind, please

Blues1952 #378849 12/01/16 10:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran
speaking only for myself... if they never changed the program again, I'd still keep upgrading to get the new styles and RT

And I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are twice as many RT included in this release than has been the case in the past.. let me see if I can find that just to make sure....

(looklooklooklook....)

OK, here's a quote from the WHAT'S NEW page:
Quote:
We’ve added
202 new RealTracks, DOUBLE the 101 that we’ve usually released in the past!

There's your reason. And if you upgrade every year, seems like you should be able to sneak under the fence for a lot less than $200!

Blues1952 #378858 12/01/16 10:38 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Here this might perk you up.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
Blues1952 #378899 12/01/16 12:16 PM
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
I notice that in all the flowery prose about how great the new program is, MIDI is only mentioned in passing in the very last sentence.

Basically this is all about new Realtracks and the various hacks to the base program needed to make them sound decent. I am wondering really how much one's life is improved by adding 200 Realtracks when you already have 2000 of them.

This gets a giant yawn from me, and I think I have only passed on one or two annual upgrades the past 15 years. I don't need BIAB to evolve from being 20% as good as a proper DAW to being 25% as good. I already have a 100% good DAW. I just need BIAB to work more seamlessly with my DAW.

I guess I have an extra $200 I wasn't counting on having now. There are plenty of DAW-friendly tools I can spend that on.

BIAB: 2023 UltraPak
DAWs: StudioOne 5 Pro, Cubase 12 Pro
Audio: Scarlett 18i20
OS: Win10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 Mem: 24 GB Vid: GTX-760Ti

sonocrafters.com
Blues1952 #378904 12/01/16 12:27 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Pumps2.

>>> I notice that in all the flowery prose about how great the new program is, MIDI is only mentioned in passing in the very last sentence

I don't accept these comments. There are 34 new MIDI SuperTracks available with this version. The total number of MIDI SuperTracks available is 202. That represents over 240 hours of recorded MIDI, played by world class artists - exactly what people who love MIDI have been asking us to do, and we've done it.

>>> I notice that in all the flowery prose about how great the new program is, MIDI is only mentioned in passing in the very last sentence.

I also do not accept this.

Here is the VERY FIRST SENTENCE- The HEADLINE (not the "very last sentence"). I count 2 mentions of MIDI, and a new MIDI synthesizer (sforzando), and improved MIDI notation with articulations.

Introducing Band-in-a-Box® 2017 and an amazing collection of new content including 202 RealTracks, 34 MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, 12-Key RealTracks, Hi-Q Guitar Notation, Re-Discovered RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks styles, a new synthesizer (sforzando), over 120 new RealStyles, and more!

The reason I am calling this to your attention pumps2, is that you said this
Pumps2: "And for the same reason, I have very little use for the PGMusic realtracks. Give me great MIDI lines and I can run that through the best VST instruments out there."
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=39194&Number=377304#Post377304

So we've given you 202 MIDI SuperTracks with 240 hours of amazing MIDI, recorded by the best-of-the-best musicians. So we're expecting you to do what you said that you'd do, namely "Give me great MIDI lines and I can run that through the best VST instruments out there."... not "This gets a giant yawn from me,"!

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Blues1952 #378909 12/01/16 12:33 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Respectfully, I disagree completely with Pumps.
I can't have enough Real Tracks. To me, the Real Tracks alone are worth the upgrade. In fact, I would upgrade even if the ONLY new thing were real tracks.
And, I highly appreciate midi super tracks.
As far as working seemlessly with my DAW, that's really not a main concern of mine, at all. I'm perfectly happy with exporting wav files from BIAB to my DAW. I really don't care.
Everyone is different I guess.

Thanks PG, keep up the great work.

Last edited by Jon Thomas; 12/01/16 12:34 PM.
Blues1952 #378920 12/01/16 01:16 PM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I WILL upgrade! And, like Jon Thomas, I would upgrade even if the only updates were new RealTracks! The updates to the main software are appreciated but, by themselves, would not cause me to upgrade (at least until a complete GUI overhaul and 64-bit implementation appears.) But, where else can I get a bunch of brand new RealTracks ready to mix right into my songs? And for a discounted upgrade price? No-brainer!!!

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You are right again ! and as you says just for the double extra RTs this year, and the Classic or New Theme/Skin switch in BB great move for old n new users, and ReWire soon, how can you say no.

Blues1952 #378951 12/01/16 02:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran
About working seamlessly with a DAW.

Peter just posted (as in today) in another thread that he is planning to implement full ReWire support early next year. Pipeline has been all over this and posted some animated gif's showing a ReWire VST which is not full ReWire but it does work. The VST works with Real Band but only partially with Biab right now. Full ReWire means that Biab would be the master to a DAW slave and you DAW power guru's know what that means. A lot of good stuff is what that means. This is very exciting and is something that has been in the Wishlist for like, forever.

The point is things are suddenly moving quickly in PG land (remember the VST tempo sync issue?) so old assumptions are falling fast.

I can't spend your money for you Pumps2 but imho now isn't the time to bail.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Blues1952 #379025 12/01/16 05:45 PM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I know nothing about VST’s, Rewire, or any of that fancy stuff. No interest. But, like others, I’ll upgrade for new, fresh, realistic styles. I know how to arrange BIAB songs and play out live. That’s my main focus and purpose for using BIAB. Been with the program since its infant days.

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon

>>> I notice that in all the flowery prose about how great the new program is, MIDI is only mentioned in passing in the very last sentence.

I also do not accept this.

The page I was looking at had MIDI only once ant it was at the end of the page. I thought I was looking at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm, but that is not the same information I saw before, so either that page changed or I am confused about where I was.

In any event I am delighted to hear that there are new superMIDI tracks, and that certainly changes my desire to buy this upgrade. Thank you for correcting the record.

I see new SuperMIDI tracks described here: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2017.htm

Does that mean there is no new MIDI content in the 2017 release unless you buy the Bonus Pak?

Last edited by Pumps2; 12/01/16 06:24 PM.

sonocrafters.com
Blues1952 #379029 12/01/16 06:11 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps you meant "new" super MIDI tracks. True.

When BIAB 2017 was first released today, the BIAB for Windows page was updated, but several others including the site's home page were not updated right away and had last year's info. You weren't seeing things.

It looks up to date now.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Perhaps you meant "new" super MIDI tracks. True.

When BIAB 2017 was first released today, the BIAB for Windows page was updated, but several others including the site's home page were not updated right away and had last year's info. You weren't seeing things.

It looks up to date now.

Yes, that was a typo. I corrected it before I saw your post.

Thanks for the clarification about the web content timing.

I'm not thrilled about having to pay an extra $49 above and beyond the normal upgrade to get this MIDI content, but it looks like a good set of stuff. I will most likely do this upgrade.

sonocrafters.com
Blues1952 #379035 12/01/16 06:35 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry. I see I was typing while you fixed it.

I think there is a great deal to like in this new version besides the RealTracks. Hope you are happy with it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, there are some sensational new features in this version, and you'd be forgiven because it may be easy to overlook them by perhaps taking an initial cursory glance.

Nevertheless, the new features, the new modern interface and ability to use the classic interface, the new real tracks and more, makes this one of the best upgrades to date.

For me, I'm definitely running with 2017.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Blues1952 #379169 12/02/16 05:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran
regarding a strong preference for MIDI over the audio real tracks:

I get that the ability to rearrange notes in MIDI makes it more useful than audio in a traditional sense... but it's worth noting that distinction has been blurred for quite some time, and now with Elastique 3 it is blurred even more.

In Real Band, the ability to expand the horizontal resolution of a track makes it easy to find and isolate single notes... which can then be individually pitch-shifted and/or time stretched. For small tweaks my experience with this technique has been positive.

Pumps2 #379248 12/02/16 08:58 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Mario D suggested a MIDI only upgrade in another thread. Peter Gannon replied that is a good idea and will make sure a MIDI only upgrade is available.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Jim Fogle #379364 12/02/16 03:51 PM
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Peter Gannon replied that is a good idea and will make sure a MIDI only upgrade is available.

I'm not sure I understand. There is no MIDI-only upgrade, is there? You have to buy the regular upgrade PLUS the extra $49 pak, correct?

It becomes a moot point for me because I am doing that upgrade right now anyway. I do applaud the fact that PGmusic has done some work on MIDI styles this time out. I'm not saying that everybody should work exclusively in MIDI. I do use the Realstyles for quick things -- scratch tracks and such. But MIDI has a lot of advantages when one views BIAB as part of a toolkit that needs to be at least somewhat integrated.

sonocrafters.com
Pumps2 #379373 12/02/16 04:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pumps2
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Peter Gannon replied that is a good idea and will make sure a MIDI only upgrade is available.

I'm not sure I understand. There is no MIDI-only upgrade, is there? You have to buy the regular upgrade PLUS the extra $49 pak, correct?

It becomes a moot point for me because I am doing that upgrade right now anyway. I do applaud the fact that PGmusic has done some work on MIDI styles this time out. I'm not saying that everybody should work exclusively in MIDI. I do use the Realstyles for quick things -- scratch tracks and such. But MIDI has a lot of advantages when one views BIAB as part of a toolkit that needs to be at least somewhat integrated.

As I write this post there is no MIDI only upgrade path however Peter Gannon indicated in ++ THIS ++ post that he is going to ask marketing to make a MIDI only upgrade package.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,779
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mandella, Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189