Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Last edited by pghboemike; 12/05/16 04:52 PM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
This is very cool, thank you for sharing. I've been intrigued by how well (and how badly!) samplers imitate real instruments for a long time now -- sometimes the worst results are the coolest in the long run! It's interesting how much work the author puts into emulating the lead guitar -- something as simple as vibrato represents a really sizable synthesis and sampling challenge.

Will - PG Music
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
And then there is what you can do with a classical guitar, detuned and then lead line played on same guitar. I did this as an experiment some years back as part of the February Album Writing Month.

Guitar was a $150 solid cedar top 'valencia' model which really digs being tuned down significantly. Pickup came in the guitar from a company called Shadow. The bass line, rhythm guitar and lead were all that Valencia model. The wah was a freebie VST from GSi.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/detuned-rockstar_not

I think I tuned down to C or C#, can't remember - this was several years ago.

The GSi was called Effectizer, available still for free in GSi's legacy-ware page:
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=37

Veteran
Veteran
I remember Craig's first band in Philly: “Mandrake Memorial”. Great band. He's been doing synths since the 60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_Memorial

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Craig Anderton used to have a column in Guitar Player magazine back in the day, also he did a book "Electronic Projects for Musicians" which I used to own.
I built lots of his projects back in the 80's, my day job then was an Electronic Technician.
Very cool guy!

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Craig Anderton used to have a column in Guitar Player magazine back in the day, also he did a book "Electronic Projects for Musicians" which I used to own.
I built lots of his projects back in the 80's, my day job then was an Electronic Technician.
Very cool guy!

I wondered if this was the same guy. I did the same as you with exception of making electronics my day job. He had some good, quality projects.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
He has many books available through ++ Amazon ++ . He also writes a monthly Sonar column for the UK edition of Sound-On-Sound magazine in addition to the articles for Harmony Central.

++ PAIA ++ stills sells the electronic project book for musicians along with part kits including circuit boards.

Craig Anderton is also a consulting vice president for Gibson helping Gibson figure out what's the future of music. He advised Gibson on the acquisitions of Teac/Tascam and Cakewalk.

He's also a representative and advisor to the Midi.org foundation.

Craig Anderton is a man that wears many hats and wears them well.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've been a fan of Craig Anderton for a long time. Back in the late 70's I had a little 4 track studio (Tascam 40-4) in my house. I really liked the DIY attitude that he showed in Electronic Projects for Musicians. Still think of some of the ideas I read there and elsewhere for making certain sounds...

Which brings me to this question (sorry if it should have been posted in another thread, or a new thread...):

I'd like to record samples of a tankdrum (made from a LP gas cylinder) so that I can use it in recordings. As it is, the notes aren't quite in tune. So I'm looking for a software sampler that will allow me to record individual notes, then clean them up and play them back with a MIDI keyboard. If you know what I mean?

If you remember the old Casio keyboard of 30 years ago (SK-1?) that let you record a sound and then play it back with any key?... That's essentially what I'd like to do, but with a software sampler instead.

I've dowloaded several samplers, but frankly, they all work differently and I'd like some advice first before getting into that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Jim

BIAB 2020 with Reaper 6, on an AMD 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, 240 GB SSD and 1 TB HD. Retired and trying to make some serious music, before Arthur Ritis spoils the fun.
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Use any sampler to capture the sound and then use the software program melodyne to pitch correct and convert the audio to midi.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
I believe the player that ships with 2017 Band-in-a-Box accepts samples. The player is primarily used to play the Hi-Q instrument patches.

++ TX16WX ++ is a sampler many people like.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks so much for responding, Charlie and Jim...

I'm not real savvy on samplers, so that was the reason for the query. But I'm glad to hear that the new 2017 BIAB has something that may be helpful. It's actually a lot of extra work to make these samples, not knowing how they will sound. But this tankdrum my son-in-law plays sounds beautiful... it just isn't quite in tune and the bell-like quality of the sounds can vary a great deal in volume as well as pitch.

I appreciate the mention of the TX16WX sampler, Jim. I've already downloaded it and have started to read about it, but not actually use it, yet. There are a few others that I've downloaded that I want to read about, too, before I get too involved in one of them.

I also appreciate the mention of the Melodyne program, Charlie. I got a limited version for free when I bought the Tracktion DAW software, but never used much. Now I may have my chance!

Thanks again, for your help. I'll try to let you know how it turns out. Might be awhile, though, as the learning curve is a little steep for an old man like me! lol

Jim

Last edited by James Francisco; 12/11/16 08:02 PM.

BIAB 2020 with Reaper 6, on an AMD 8 core CPU, 16GB RAM, 240 GB SSD and 1 TB HD. Retired and trying to make some serious music, before Arthur Ritis spoils the fun.
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
A feature I just learned of last night that I've never used but watched a demonstration on YouTube that you may want to try is in the Audacity program. Located in the Effects Menu - Pitch Correction. I was impressed with the sound and quality of a guy changing "all my rowdy friends.." by Hank Williams Jr. from the key of C to the key of A.

He simply imported the song into Audacity, selected the entire song, opened the effect and ran the effect and Audacity did an admirable job in my opinion. For tuning, that may be an easier and faster option for you.

If you don't have Audacity, it is a free download and a great software program to have for audio.

Charlie

Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the good idea, Charlie! I do have Audacity and use it often as my "editing" app for Reaper. But I didn't know about that little trick! Have to try that. Audacity surely is a great program for being free. I love it.

I like to use it when I convert LP records to digital. It makes it easy to get rid of most of the crackles and pops on a recording.

Thanks again, Charlie! Hope you have a great day!

Jim "g33zrj1m" Francisco

Veteran
Veteran
As for samplers, welcome to the club as they are new to me too. That's one of the reason I suggested TX16WX as it has very good documentation. I'm looking forward to learning how to use it.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Jim,

I tried to use TX16WX but after installing it, my DAW (Reaper) would no longer load. So I had to go back and uninstall all of the newest plugins I had. Finally got it to work again and put all but TX16WX back on. Still working. Not sure what the problem might be, but I did manage to install one called Shortcircuit, that didn't shut down Reaper. (Reaper seems to be easily crashed... I usually have it crash at least once every session. Luckily, it's usually not while I'm recording.) Sure glad that Band In A Box is more stable than that! I might have to try using Realband as a DAW instead, as someone else suggested.

Please let us know how you do with the TX16WX sampler. I may just have to use an old laptop as a standalone sampler computer if it appears to be a good program.

Thanks for all your help!

g33zrj1m

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195