Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#380466 - 12/06/16 03:17 PM [RealBand] Question about ASIO in Realband
jonel Offline
Apprentice

My audio interface provides two channels to a Realband audio track using ASIO. Both are used when the track type is stereo. So if the actual input input is mono (one microphone only) then only one half of the stereo is recorded. If the track type is then set to mono then only one of the channels is selected? One channel does work but there is no way (not that I can see anyway) of forcing the track to use one or other of the inputs.

It would be great to have any help on this please?

John Lundrigan

#380476 - 12/06/16 03:33 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jonel
If the track type is then set to mono then only one of the channels is selected?

Kinda sorta. If the track type is mono, there ARE no L and R. It's one merged channel.

#380493 - 12/06/16 04:12 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

In Audio Prefs you can set a MONO track to record one side or the other.
It's a 2-way system though; If the track type is Stereo it will record both tracks.
If you change the track type to MONO, the above mentioned Prefs setting lets you decide how MONO tracks are handled; record L, record R, or record Both.

Attachments
stereo-mono_RB.jpg

#380533 - 12/06/16 05:34 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

I record everything that I play in mono on the left channel, sometimes switching to right when I am mic'ing the amp and want to use the right channel of the Asio/audio interface.

But generally speaking, when you are recording your own tracks you want to record in mono, and choose either left or right.

Even with some real tracks that render as stereo I convert them to mono in audacity so I have more control in the panning process.

The only exception is drums which I usually leave in stereo.

Hope that makes sense.

Attachments
Audio Input Left.png

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#380542 - 12/06/16 06:34 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: Hong Kong
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Hi David

How can we make RTs mono if we are panning tracks in BIAB itself? Are you altering your actual RealTracks in Audacity? Assuming they are stereo. I'm very confused as to whether having them in mono is important for backing tracks that are going to be played on a PA, and am not sure how it can be done. Likewise, a while back someone suggested panning the drums and bass one way, so that you could control the mix more easily on the PA for different venues. That's got me completely baffled now. I guess what I'm trying to ensure is that my backing tracks are clear and not taking anything away from my guitar and vocals.

Thanks.

Edited by lambada (12/06/16 06:38 PM)
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#380562 - 12/06/16 08:06 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

I have wondered, but never asked, why when you generate tracks they are not all mono or all stereo. Typically drums are stereo, bass is mono, and then it's seemingly at random.

@David Snyder re: panning. I usually leave drums, bass, vocals and solos in the middle but the rhythm instruments go left and right.

One of my teachers used a baseball field as her example. A baseball team always wants to be strong up the middle. Catcher, pitcher, shortstop, second base and center field. Or to apply the metaphor, drums, bass, vox and solos. The other example she used was visual where she held up 5 things behind a computer tower, to visualize that you could only see the last 4 when she moved them to the left or the right. Just expanding on what you said. Record them in mono and then move them left and right. Depending on how many rhythm instruments I have I will do hard left, 45 degrees left, hard right and 45 degrees right. Makes for some depth.

I have at times split a mono track RB created into 2 tracks so I can have a left and a right and place effects on one and not on the other. It doesn't always stay in, but that's some of the experimenting. One time, I had a 12 string track and I cloned it 3 times so I had 4 tracks of the same thing. I went hard left clean, 45 left chorused, hard right with reverb, and 45 right with a little delay, all at low and varied volumes. I was trying to make it sound like 4 guitars playing the same part with slightly different color. A Phil Spector-ish move. It worked well enough but I didn't keep all those layers in the end.

Edited by eddie1261 (12/06/16 08:10 PM)

#380596 - 12/07/16 04:40 AM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: rharv]
jonel Offline
Apprentice

Excellent rharv, just what I was looking for.

Thanks

John

#380597 - 12/07/16 04:42 AM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: David Snyder]
jonel Offline
Apprentice

Thanks David, great information.

Regards

John

#380616 - 12/07/16 06:07 AM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

There is a selection in the Master tab submenu, Set mix to flat, dry and center.

Access this by right clicking on the Master tab to open the menu window.

This is a useful feature when exporting BIAB tracks to a DAW for further processing where you will add effects, volume envelopes and panning and want to export your tracks dry, equal volumes and no panning.

Charlie

#380655 - 12/07/16 10:19 AM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

If you select STEREO as the input type for the track ... you must provide both a left and a right input via the 2 channels in the interface.

If you select MONO as the input type for the track, it will send only that side that you selected as the MONO input to the track.

In MONO, it is totally possible to have the other interface channel providing another different MONO input to another track. So you could record guitar to one and vocal to the other. Both would be mono tracks and both would be recording at the same time if you decided to do it that way.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#380660 - 12/07/16 10:46 AM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

To answer all questions, or at least try.

1.) I only use Real Band to generate usable backing tracks. Except for drums, I always want those tracks to be in mono, so I go into Audacity after the export and do stereo to mono and resave the tracks if those tracks rendered as stereo in Real Band (and were exported that way.)

Some people use plug ins to reshape stereo tracks inside the DAW but I find that to be a nuisance. I want my tracks (except for drums) to be in mono so I can pan them where I want them. It is just my preference.

Again, this is just my way of doing things.

2.) The question of "Mono left" might be confusing. When I say 'mono left" I mean I am simply using the left channel input on the audio interface to record a mono track, and again--and this is just me--I prefer all the audio tracks except for drums to be in mono.

Then once I have them in Sonar, I pan bass just slightly off center, main vocals straight up, drums straight up, doubled vocals at 10, and -10, main instruments at 25 and -25 and sweetening instruments at 30, -30, or sometimes -35, and 35.

Bob Buford just wrote an excellent column on this in the recording forum.

I hope this makes sense!!!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#380710 - 12/07/16 12:48 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

David, regarding rendering RB stereo tracks to mono. You can save time and effort doing this in RB rather than exporting back and forth between RB and Audacity. I was wondering why you use this particular procedure.

#380733 - 12/07/16 02:40 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: Charlie Fogle]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Charlie,

I never go back into real band after I export and I like audacity for various reasons.

However, where is the setting on Real Band anyway that allows you to change it to all mono export?

I can't find it under preferences.

Thanks!

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#380758 - 12/07/16 03:36 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Jonel, this may be good reading for you.

Audio drivers debate

#380792 - 12/07/16 06:18 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: David Snyder]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

It works the same in RB as Audacity that you can split stereo tracks and merge them back together if desired.

You can split your tracks prior to export and avoid the Audacity stage altogether and save a little time.

The option is accessed from the Edit Menu on the top tool bar.

Edit>Track>Split a stereo track into 2 Mono tracks...

The merge option is just above the split selection in the same menu.

Charlie

#380911 - 12/08/16 06:21 AM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: Charlie Fogle]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Ok thanks Charlie.

I think we have been around this before. There are aspects of audacity I like, and it takes me 10 minutes to "trim" and normalization ALL of my audio for any song remove, clicks, unwanted passages and stuff, and convert stereo to mono.

I can blow the audio up real big, look for artifacts and zap them in a millisecond with negative amplification.

I mean, everything is ready to go into the DAW after about 10 minutes.

I guess I have just gotten use to it and just like doing it that way though it is nice to have the extra in information about Real Band, so thanks a lot.

But again. once I leave Real Band with my tracks I don't go back. I mix in Sonar.

www.davidsnydermusic.com

#380973 - 12/08/16 09:46 AM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
1mansaxband Offline
Enthusiast

Tech support could not figure out my lingering problem. Since going with this Scarlett 2i2 the melody track midi in yellow is out of sync with the RealTracks -a couple of bars behind. Resetting to factory settings (all option) fixes it but only for a while, it goes back to this problem. Unchecking the use VST/DX on the Midi driver setup dialogue box made it better but still off a little then later it was back to same.

#381011 - 12/08/16 11:25 AM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: jonel]
rharv Offline
Veteran

In MIDI preferences, even though you have the 'Use default DXi' checkbox enabled, do you have the MS Wavetable synth selected as the device in the box above the check box?
For some reason we have seen this fix a weird problem or 2 before.
Just a shot in the dark. It shouldn't matter since all MIDI is getting re-routed, but like I said it has helped before in weird situations.

#381056 - 12/08/16 01:54 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: 1mansaxband]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 1mansaxband
Tech support could not figure out my lingering problem. Since going with this Scarlett 2i2 the melody track midi in yellow is out of sync with the RealTracks -a couple of bars behind. Resetting to factory settings (all option) fixes it but only for a while, it goes back to this problem. Unchecking the use VST/DX on the Midi driver setup dialogue box made it better but still off a little then later it was back to same.

You should put this in a new post/thread.

Midi playing behind is called latency and is generally a driver issue. The Focusrite Scarlett is a good interface. What driver mode are you using with it?

Are we talking about BB or RB or both?

Give us as much detail on your recording rig setup as you can.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#381081 - 12/08/16 03:58 PM [RealBand] Re: Question about ASIO in Realband [Re: Guitarhacker]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

I believe 2.5.1 is the latest Focusrite driver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® - Freezing Tracks

Like what you hear in Band-in-a-Box®? Make sure to Freeze the track(s) or song! Once frozen, it won't be regeneraged or change when you play it again - and your choice isn't final, since you can unfreeze them just as easily:
-press the blue snowflake button within the track name of the mixer window
-press the blue snowflake button within the expanded toolbar of the program (Ctrl + T will swap between the two toolbar views), and select the track(s)

Note: If you want to force Band-in-a-Box® to generate tracks without adjusting the Freeze settings, hold down the Shift key as you press the [Generate and Play] button (the fly-by hint will remind you of that) or choose the menu command Play | Play Special | Generate (even if tracks are frozen).

To learn more about freezing your Band-in-a-Box® tracks or songs, visit Chapter 5: Playing Songs | Freezing tracks of our Online Manual.

With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Forum Stats
28229 Members
58 Forums
54220 Topics
453106 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
nnygns01, Daveheller, porkchop sound, Richard68, JeffBro

28228 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 170
Al-David 156