Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
By modern jazz styles Pg Music often means smooth jazz. That's ok, but consider this.
Bass players after 1970 don't walk all over the chorus any longer. They switch between walking and octaves and small higher octave melodies. The feel is much more free and sustained notes alternate with eigth notes and so on.
Same for drums. I long for drum styles that play different ride patterns than the same old stuff.
Sorry, but nobody plays standards in this way any longer. The fifties were great, but great musicians changed the sound and feel of the rhythm section. And Pg Music should honor that.
Examples are: Jarrett Trio, Joey Calderazzo, Geri Allen, Fred Hersch, Charles Lloyd.
In the Modern Jazz Pianist series there is some great contemporary playing. If there were styles like that, that'd be great.
If you hear software like iReal Pro it just gets on your nerve, the same outdated rhythms. Pg Music should bring modern jazz standard playing into our practice room. Odd times, relaxed comping, Dave Holland styles, Jason Moran, Adam Nussbaum, Joey Baron, McBride...

Last edited by Dzjang; 11/16/16 12:36 AM.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This post request is probably better suited in the "Styles and RealTracks Wishlist" forum

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Dear PG Music: Add all the new, modern styles you like to keep everyone happy; but, please, don’t substitute that for the older jazz styles. At least keep what we’ve already got.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: J. Larry
Dear PG Music: Add all the new, modern styles you like to keep everyone happy; but, please, don’t substitute that for the older jazz styles. At least keep what we’ve already got.

Sigh... Earlier posts don't always seem to be noticed.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Since we are staying here, let me just observe that I've often seen PG Music make minor fixes to RealTracks but never change the feel. I suspect they would continue to make new styles without changing existing ones.

And what is this 'nobody' reference? Not all of us have discarded these styles being mentioned. There's plenty of life left in the 'older' jazz styles as jazz evolves.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Keeping the existing ones is important. You are right that there should be some preservation.
Point is, if you dig into the realtracks bass, you notice there's not many different styles and same goes for midi supertracks. You would be amazed how many "different" styles use the same rhythm section.
And, more importantly, not everyone wants to play in an older fashion. If Ellington were still alive, he'd play with Steve Coleman, I think. smile

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Well, if browsing were easier, we would all be on the same page. The forum is too complex. There should be tags or a tree structure, cause this way nobody finds anything. Think: biab style browser, but worse.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dzjang
Well, if browsing were easier, we would all be on the same page. The forum is too complex. There should be tags or a tree structure, cause this way nobody finds anything.

Yep, that Styles and RealTracks Wishlist forum certainly is hard to find. Sure is buried deep...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-11-17_19-01-24.jpg (116.31 KB, 111 downloads)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
No, I didn't mean that. You pointed me to the right forum, so I tried to delete my entry. But, since you answered, deleting was no longer an option.
So, thanks for helping, but sadly it made matters worse, smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Dzjang, I've just found your interesting post.

I entirely agree that BIAB remains limited wrt modern jazz (meaning roughly the past couple of decades). But I don't think your post quite hits the nail on the head.

I think the key characteristic of a lot of modern jazz - the younger stars; the players you mention, 'different ride patterns' etc - is that it tends to be even, not swing, feel.

PG (along with all other music software companies) tends to regard 'jazz' as swing-feel. Check out 99% of jazz-drum midi packs, for example.

In BIAB, even-feel jazz is essentially limited to bossa & samba rhythms, plus the busy Terry Clarke even RDs, and funk Ricky Lawson.

In other words, I think the modern jazz we are interested in falls into a large Even-feel gap between bossa/samba jazz and the plethora of rock/funk even rhythms.

So, to conclude with a New Year wish: Piano MSTs; RT String Bass and RDs with an Even, not swing, jazz feel.

Best - Andy

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent observation, Andy. That would dramatically change the feel. I'm not sure how much I would use an even feel jazz style, but it would be fun to experiment with even feel Latin percussion. My writing involves a lot of hybrid styles.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Hi Matt:

<<I'm not sure how much I would use an even feel jazz style>>

Off the top of my head, check out any of the following (ordered by instrument.)

Brad Mehldau, Aaron Goldberg, Aaron Parks, Fred Hirsch, Jason Moran, Ethan Iverson
Ambrose Akimmusire, Seamus Blake, Joshua Redman, Chris Cheek,
Bill Stewart, Jeff Ballard, Jorge Rossy, Eric Harland, Brian Blade, Adam Nussbaum, Nasheet Waits, Jochen Rueckert
Avishai Cohen, Larry Grenadier, Eric Penman, Eric Revis, Matt Brewer, Reuben Rogers
Kurt Rosenwinkel, Mike Moreno, Lage Lund, Adam Rogers, Wolfgang Muthspiel
Maria Schneider,

They're all in the tradition and love to play standards, but their own newer material tends to be even-feel, often with hits in odd places, 5's, 7's etc...

Best - Andy

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks very much for these suggestions. I am very familiar with only a few on this list, particularly Joshua Redmond and Maria Schneider. Kurt Rosenwinkel is a monster. And I only have heard something from about half of those players, so thanks.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
BBB Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hi Dzang,

Don't generalize many of us still play and love jazz with the swing feel and traditional Duke Ellington Ella Fitzgerald Joe Pass Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery. Etc Etc,

If you like what you call also called more modern style of jazz which I understand some people play. Although most of them I've heard our technical monsters but lack the swing feel and the emphasis on Melody.

This is of course my opinion and the way I feel about it just like you stated your opinion but to make a statement like you did that nobody plays jazz like this anymore is absolutely ridiculous!

One other thing, is while Band In A box is an excellent Learning resource you should transcribe your favorite players anyway and not depend on a software program to improve your musicianship............

BBB

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Sure, the OP exaggerated but there is a valid point in there. We all know jazz players who favor, or might be stuck in, each era. Tons of 20s, 30s, 50s, 70s jazz is still played out there and if the player is good, the music's good. There is plenty of room to add styles for newer trends. All the existing RealTracks will still be there. By the way, I'm hearing some pretty hip playing in some of the new 2017 styles.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
O
O
Agree, what about support for 5/8 7/8 13/8 etc - at the moment (BIAB 2016) we have to do 5/8 as 3/4 + 2/4 which doesn't sound quite right and also doubles the amount of bars in the piece and then we run into the 255 bar limit. At least there is now (2017) proper support for 3/4 and cut time and double time, (yay!) but it doesn't really help us odd people who are into odd time signatures or eastern european folk music etc. HAS the 255 BAR LIMIT been lifted in 2017. please someone say yes! I don't have 2017 yet and can't find any info on the pg site on my aforementioned dilemma but can anyone tell me if for example doing a (4+3)/4 in double tempo with cut time (in BIAB 2017) will give me a reasonable 7/8? and does anyone know when the pdf manual is coming out? cheers!

Last edited by oddworld; 12/08/16 04:42 PM.

guitarist artist producer videographer film scorer and writer
PC + Sibelius, Logic, Cubase, BIAB, but my preferred technology is instrument plus mic - also pen and paper.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum. That's a mouthful for a first post.

The PDF full manual usually takes a bit after a new release.

As far as I know, the 255 bar limit is still there. There was no discussion, but I didn't test it because I just don't hit the limit. I do realize doing double measures to simulate 5/4, for example, will run up the count quickly.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,742
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191