Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#381484 12/10/16 03:32 AM
Songwriting
I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
How do you guys go about writting songs. I have a very limited knowledge of chord theory, and can't figure out what chords whould go good with a meoldy. A lot of you seem to be able to shell out a song every day.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
How do you guys go about writting songs. I have a very limited knowledge of chord theory, and can't figure out what chords whould go good with a meoldy. A lot of you seem to be able to shell out a song every day.

You'll probably need to up your game on chord theory and lyric creation with a bit of study. There are tons of songwriting and chord structure books out there. Author Robin Frederick has a fairly comprehensive group of books on the subject. Check her out on Amazon.com or FB:

Robin Frederick

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Wow... this is a huge topic. But for starters.....

Having a basic knowledge of music theory is useful. Stuff like this: Knowing that in a given key... lets use the key of C major..... C is the root or also known as the 1 (ONE). A very basic song would normally have a chord set that can be used easily. In C, you can also use the 4 chord or F, and the 5 chord G, all using the scale of C major. So with 3 chords....C, F & G, you can write a simple song.

As you work with this you will just "feel" where the chord are going to be and what they are. Knowing that you only have 3 to choose from makes the process a bit easier.

As you do this, and get better, you will notice that there are generally patterns they follow.

Knowing the theory, 1,4,5 for example.... you can then take that same pattern and apply it to any key.

Theory is a vast and extremely deep subject. Like so many interesting subjects, you need to build a good basic foundation to really understand and appreciate the things that come later at the deeper levels. I'd suggest a basic beginners theory book for starters. And as a writer, you really don't need to have a thorough knowledge of theory to write songs.

Knowing the scales, major and minor, and the relation between the 1,4,5 progression that is used in so many blues and rock songs, as well as knowing what other chords can go well in the world of 1,4,5...such as using the 6 minor, is a good place to start your understanding.

Start by listening to songs that you like and try deconstructing them. Reverse engineer them. See how the writer put them together and use that as a guide to building your own originals.

All this is well and good, but a good song doesn't come from the head and a good understanding of music theory, it comes from the heart and having a basic understanding of music theory simply helps you to get it from the heart to the audible form for others to enjoy.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
To add to Herb, I posted some lessons and tips on this already in the Beginner's Forum. You may want to book mark Beginner's Forum.

The first link below will take you to Gary Ewer's site. His entire collection of books is about 35 bucks, but worth it if you want to learn chord progressions. He also has many free lessons on his website.

In the second link, I explain the basics of the pop chord progression.

Last, you should just go to style picker and open up a bunch of demos and study the chord progressions. After a while you will get it.

But, by the various sources I have mentioned, you have to master what:

I (C) ii (dm or dm7) iii (em or em7) IV (F) V (G) vi (am or am7) and VIIdim (Bdim) and I (C--back to root)---in the key of C as the example here---mean in every key, and how they relate to songwriting.

There are no shortcuts.

Secrets of Songwriting with Gary Ewer

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=380528#Post380528

Chord Entry Lesson #1

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378483#Post378483

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Yes... good points David.

Also,,,, besides getting a basic music theory book, get a few on the art of songwriting. There are thousands of songwriting books on the market.

I have this one (among others) Six steps to songwriting success by Jason Blume. It's a good book on the art of crafting a song and some about the business as well... It covers song structure, lyrics and melody. Practically any book by someone who has successfully written songs and explains how they do it, would be a good addition to your library.

Get some education, but don't allow that educational process to get in the way of actually writing songs. Remember, don't write from the head..... write from the heart.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
you may find helpful info from these links
songwriting tips and techniques

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I honestly think the simplest way is going to hooktheory.com.

You check check out how thousands of songs are constructed withOUT knowing theory. You can simply look for how songs you like "look" and see patterns...even if it's just by color.

It also allows you to plug in chords from songs you like, and since you don't know what those may be, chances are some songs you like are already done. Plug those in, play with the timing a bit. Use some of the same notes (it actually allows you to stay within a key automatically) and have some fun!

You will start by making music. To me that has been fundamental in learning. My kids were writing songs before they know what they were doing. Out of doing, they were more excited to learn.

This can have you writing a song TODAY!

I hope that helps! That's not discounting the above advice. It's great advice. It can help explain what you are doing AND bring you in new directions as you learn.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
W
Expert
Expert
W
From a slightly different POV. Figure out what you want to say. In broad terms, think about your own experiences that you might want to expose in lyrics, not necessary to be poetic or rhyming, that can come with time. Melody's can happen by the way words come together naturally. Look at the way the Beatles lyrics told a story.
BIAB is a great tool because you can try so many styles and chords, it's like a lego set for music,just dive in.
Wyndham

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Good points Hear to Learn.

I lOVE Hook Theory.

But I can't fail to mention that Hook Theory is pretty big on:

I (C) ii (dm or dm7) iii (em or em7) IV (F) V (G) vi (am or am7) and VIIdim (Bdim) and I (C--back to root)---in the key of C as the example here---mean in every key, and how they relate to songwriting.

smile

https://www.hooktheory.com/

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Hooktheory_Beatles.png (123.12 KB, 274 downloads)
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
All good advice. I'll try a few alternate approaches.

1. Find a collaborator. If you have good ideas for a melody and feel, and can imagine whether a certain place feels major or minor, someone else can do the music arrangement.

2. Use BIAB to generate a song from your melody.

Of course, if it was easy, everyone would do it. Songwriting is a craft that takes a serious commitment to learn.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We have so many great songwriters here. Perhaps we should add a dedicated songwriters forum. Tips n tricks questions discusssions etc.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Peter,

I think this is a very interesting idea, of course, being a member and regional coordinator of a large and well known songwriter's association (Herb is part of our group).

Personally, I love songwriting sites (Gary Ewer has a great one) but I am not sure I have ever run across a great songwriting forum that had real substance to it. So I am intrigued. And also curious.

One thing I have noticed though: the majority of people I run across who say they want to become better songwriters become almost angry when you gently suggest that they may want to learn more than a G, C and D chord or read a book on lyric writing. I.e., when you tell them that songwriting is hard, and requires study, they actually get mad at you. But I know that without a basic and growing knowledge of theory--baby steps mind you--you simply will never be able to advance in your skills or take full advantage of a tool like BIAB.

My own best education in songwriting comes from my daily study of the style demos in BIAB--and finding amazingly cool chord progressions I never would have thought of. But that is after I already know what a I, I maj7, ii, iiim7, vi is...and so forth. I know why those chord progressions I find in BIAB demos are so cool because I already know the basics. So I know when someone has "broken a rule"--but done it in an ingenious way.

Then there is melody. That happens two ways. One way is you are born a genius like Paul McCartney and you can whistle hit melodies in your car as you go around the roundabout. The second way is you learn how to play an instrument and spend countless hours fiddling with notes until you find something that is catchy.

So, I am extremely interested in this idea, and would be your most avid reader.

But I do wonder, sometimes, if people realize how hard songwriting is and how much work and study it takes to become good.

That might not be the case here on the BIAB forum because there are so many talented and hardworking people here, but out there in the wider world you will find a lot of people who simply do not want to put forth the effort.

Just a few random thoughts. I would like to hear what other folks have to say about this. It could be wonderful if people took it seriously.

Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Right on.

I snickered at the thought until I realized 90% of "successful" songs have cowriters. I've tried to write with others a few times, but never found someone that fits. Different ears and goals and stuff.

And, yes, David, that is an interesting tendency, to bristle at suggestions. I know I do. Unless I'm not too vested in the song yet. I KNOW there's a problem, or I cringe on a certain line, where I'm just validating that they hear a problem also. It happened recently; I asked a good writer friend for an opinion, thoughts were given; I was irritated as heck; and he was right (I realized a week later).

Yes, listening to new BIAB demos....man, my head swims with song ideas when I do that...

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Andy A - USA
I snickered at the thought until I realized 90% of "successful" songs have cowriters. I've tried to write with others a few times, but never found someone that fits. Different ears and goals and stuff. And, yes, David, that is an interesting tendency, to bristle at suggestions. I know I do.

I get it....

I've co-written with just a couple of old band mates long ago but they asked for my input.
As it was...they'd agreed with my suggestions.

I'm not interested in co-writing for the very reasons you state above.
My music is not that complicated but I'm extremely particular about song subject, lyrics and lyrical phrasing.
(If I could just sing up to my satisfaction that would be cool)
I'll spend consecutive days making sure each line meets my satisfaction and avoiding vapid cliches.

So...co-writing, as a rule, would not work for me.

I should qualify that my songs and above approach to song writing has kept me a poor, common man and unknown song writing entity. smile

Carry on....a good weekend to all.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 12/10/16 04:15 PM.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Andy,

Try the book below if you get stuck.

smile

I think the idea could be good one if people shared resources they find useful in developing their craft.

If people start offering suggestions on written material: I see all Hell breaking loose. World War III.

Been there, done that, got the scars.

But as I said, try this for starters:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Beatles Scores.jpg (38.49 KB, 294 downloads)
Songwriting
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
as a companion to the book dave referenced

Beatles Songwriting Academy

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Islansoul. Do February album writing month. www.fawm.org
Jump in head and feet and write a song every two days for the month of February. Participate in the skirmishes and the forum and find collaborators. You will come out of the month with a very good start.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Wayne. EXACTLY! It's all me, its my experience, no one can understand it in my context. Or, it's all lies and BS, but, it's all MY lies and BS. No help needed, Thank you, but no. Please go away.

David. THANK YOU! I own a bunch of song/music books, as I'm sure you do also. I have a special shelf with the go-tos on it.

Yes, we all should do a thread on books!!!!

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad
Songwriting
I
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
We have so many great songwriters here. Perhaps we should add a dedicated songwriters forum. Tips n tricks questions discusssions etc.

We should have a songwriters forum, as that would help me out so much. Guys, I do understand what chords are, and the basics of chord structure such as the I IV V used in pop rock, the 12 bar blues, and the II V I in jazz, but again when it comes to chord and melody, I somehow feel a bit lost.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
My problem has never been writing songs, it's not losing them. I've probably written a thousand or more sure fire hits (in my mind) while driving in my car with inspiration coming from a rattle, constant humming rhythm or some other noise. Great hooks and lyric phrases have popped into my head only to mysteriously disappear an hour later when I'm home and try to recall what I knew to be such a great write.

I recall seeing in a documentary that one of the early Bee Gees disco monster hits came about as they began singing over the repetitive rhythm sound of their car crossing a bridge in Miami every day driving to the recording studio.

On one occasion, I woke during the night immediately after dreaming about a song and was able to record the complete song and lyrics, chord progression down. The song was recorded several years later on my band's 1975 album.

Nearly everyone I know sings aloud making up jingles and pieces of songs, changing lyrics to a popular song they're listening to on the radio. They just never try to write in a serious manner. They don't think they have the talent.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/11/16 02:55 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,622
Posts735,187
Members38,518
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01
38,518 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185