Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
On November 28th 2016 Gatlinburg, Tennessee was ravaged by a wildfire that took 14 lives, left 191 injured, 2400 structures lost and burned over 17000 acres in the neighboring Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I have been going there for 50 years and was just there twice in October. The place we always stayed and the place we always ate at were both burned to the foundation. I have always considered the National Park to be my all time favorite place and I have been to a lot of great places. My thoughts and prayers are with all those that continue to struggle with this tragedy.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/the-night-gatlinburg-burned-down

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

RealTracks in style: ~599:Mandolin, Rhythm Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealTracks in style: ~598:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 590:Banjo, Bluegrass Doc Ev 100 (Rhythm - Simple)
Royalty Free Loops

Vocals, Tom Adams

Recorded in Logic Pro X, Ozone 6, Waves LinMB, Nectar2, Waves Vocal Rider, Misc. reverbs, delays and compression from Logic.

The Night Gatlinburg Burned Down

fire and wind blowing on the ridgeline

Flames racing through the town

The devil was roaring down the mountainside

The night Gatlinburg burned down

and I cried and I cried till my tears had all run dry

memories in the ashes on the ground

Friends and families lost that’s the real cost

It’s called the Smoky Mountains that’s a tragic irony

A wailing siren was the only sound

The ghostly signs of Christmas was all there was to see

It ‘ll be years before we’re back where we belong

but we are the toughest folks around

When they look back they won't be wrong it’s why they call us Mountain Strong

©2016 Thomas Adams

As Bob (90db) said in the comments. Prayers for Gatlnburg. Anyone wishing to contribute should go to this link.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/12/01/gatlinburg-chamber-establishes-relief-fund/94733176/

Last edited by tommyad; 12/16/16 11:28 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tom,

That`s a tough story to think about while listening to your song.
There`s a great feeling of conviction in your vocal which has a different quality on this song... reminds me of a fired up Waylon Jennings. The chorus is really catchy and backing just right.
Very good!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent write Tommy, except that the story-line is so unfortunate.

Regardless, you've put a masterpiece together. This is a great listen. Choice of instruments is superb.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent write and performance! The mix is great as are the vocals.
The feeling and emotion of the song seem to be perfect to me.

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tom
Interesting one to comment on - damn infectious - great melody, excellent vocal - sad topic.
Australians are all too familiar with bush fires, had our fair share & they can be horrendous.

Excellent song - has that timeless quality.
Thanks for the encouragement through the year.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tom,
What an awful story but this is a great tribute, from the heart.
Great choice of instruments, great mix and your voice is perfect!

You did good on this song, Tom, real good. The bar you have set is still WA-AY above me frown laugh

Hope you have a good Christmas

Alyn

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Following an old tradition of pouring your pain into a bluegrass tune, you've done an excellent job. But like so many of those old Bluegrass tunes, rooted in a true story.

This is such a classic tune and theme. Excellent job on what had to be a tough subject for you.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tom,

I really like this! A lot of the bluegrass tracks don't reflect current trends in the genre... but you've assembled a song here that absolutely NAILS the Merlefest sound!

My only problem with this is learning that you frequently get this close to NC without letting me know so I can drive over to Tennessee and buy you a beer.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well done.

This is a perfect tribute. The genre was also perfect.

Story behind the news: Back in Jacksoneville NC, One of the bands I was in at the time had a drummer play with us for a few weeks or so. His name was Mark J. Through the years, we all kinda drifted apart and went down different paths in life. Facebook and one of the musicians from that town/era brought us all back together. As it turned out Mark had moved from eastern NC to the Tenn mountain town of Gatlinburg. He was still playing drums and messing with music. When the fires swept through the town and the hills around Gatlinburg, unfortunately, his house was among the hundreds of casualties, and he and his wife and family literally lost everything they owned.

Good song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tommy,

Tragic subject - great song. Reminds me of some Don Reno at one of the Bluegrass festivals we used to frequent in California.

Prayers for Gatlinburg, and if people want to contribute:

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/12/01/gatlinburg-chamber-establishes-relief-fund/94733176/

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tom,

Heartbreaking.

You have documented this loss in just the manner that it ought to be. The perfect genre. A truly excellent write - it sounds like a classic from first listen. The production, arrangement and mix could not be done better - as good as it gets.

Your vocals and harmonies on this are excellent - and one of the best vocal mixes ever on these forums - a true "part of the whole".

This is SO good. You should enter this in the Merlefest song contest - then one of the top recording bluegrass/newgrass/Americana groups needs to record it...

I just keep thinking "Wow!"

fj

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Tom,

That`s a tough story to think about while listening to your song.
There`s a great feeling of conviction in your vocal which has a different quality on this song... reminds me of a fired up Waylon Jennings. The chorus is really catchy and backing just right.
Very good!

Robert
Thanks Robert. Waylon was great at singing those bluesy lines. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Tom
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Excellent write Tommy, except that the story-line is so unfortunate.

Regardless, you've put a masterpiece together. This is a great listen. Choice of instruments is superb.

It was and is an unfortunate situation. However I am very fortunate that you continue to comment on my work. Thanks Trevor.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

Kenny

Our thoughts exactly.
Very good work Tommy.

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom.

Bluegrass was not at all what I was expecting after reading the lyrics, but I have to say that the whole production works SO well.

It's a classic country sound and somehow the tragedy bound up in the words isn't in any way diminished by the up-tempo backing.

Beautifully conceived and executed.

Thoughts are with all those who are personally involved.

ROG.

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: gibson
Tom,

You did good on this song, Tom, real good. The bar you have set is still WA-AY above me frown laugh

Alyn

I have to agree with Alyn, except the part that any bar is above him, although yours is very high! Really good stuff Tom!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tom, great job about a tough subject! What a sad thing to see happen to such a beautiful place ( been there many times myself), but even more tragic is the lost lives and affected families. You had a great choice of instruments that all worked well together! The lyric and vocal - excellent! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome song Tommy. What a devastating situation. The weather patterns have been changing rapidly. We also had a terrible forest fire here in Northern Alberta last summer. The city of Fort McMurray pop 61000 had to be evacuated as it got caught in its path. It seems like one weather catastrophe after another... Awesome vocal, lyric and backtrack

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

Kenny
Kenny, Thanks for the nice words. It was an emotional song for me. Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom
Interesting one to comment on - damn infectious - great melody, excellent vocal - sad topic.
Australians are all too familiar with bush fires, had our fair share & they can be horrendous.

Excellent song - has that timeless quality.
Thanks for the encouragement through the year.

Peter
Peter, Thanks for the wonderful review. Much appreciated. Tom

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
Tom,

Alyn

Alyn, Thank you for all those nice remarks. The bar is not above you. Your creativity continues to be an inspiration to us all. Tom
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Following an old tradition of pouring your pain into a bluegrass tune, you've done an excellent job. But like so many of those old Bluegrass tunes, rooted in a true story.

This is such a classic tune and theme. Excellent job on what had to be a tough subject for you.

Charlie
Charlie, There was only one genre in which this song would be effective. It was a terrible tragic event and I thought it would be good to document it in a song. I certainly hope those that are affected can rebuild their lives and find some peace. Thanks for your kindness, Tom

User Showcase
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Love it tommy
what a great write ,cracking vocals sound with the unison harmony.
keep doing this great stuff plz tommy
cheers john

Os Windows Biab 2018. studio one pro 3 ozone 8 focusrite 214 se electronics Gemini mic
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195