Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#384467 12/17/16 04:08 AM
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I will admit that I am terrible at searching on the forums. I tried search for "lyric writing program", then "lyric program" then tried "'lyric writing program'"...and I seem to get every results with "lyric" OR "program" OR "writing." Like I said, I'm terrible at in on here.

Then I thought this would probably be a good post to start in this new section for reference.

So, what are you all using for lyric writing? And pros or cons you see to your methods?

Thanks! I'm excited to see if there is something I'm missing out on!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Paper.

Pencil.

Old school.

Really.

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Paper.

Pencil.

Old school.

Really.

smile

I'm not familiar with those apps. I'm guessing IOS? wink You kids now days don't want to work for anything. smile

I will admit, I'm actually surprised that is your method. You must have A LOT of pieces of paper from over the years!

I definitely see how there is something to that! I feel more connected for some reason that way. I should use it more.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 12/17/16 04:15 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Given the year of his passing, and the approach, I thought some might find this interesting.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 12/17/16 04:17 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I mostly write using a word processor (LibreOffice at the moment) and I use tabs to indent lines so that I know what beat of the bar a line of lyrics begins at.

To polish my lyrics, I use Rhymesaurus. It's found at...

http://www.purpleroom.com/rhymesaurus-for-windows/

I find this software an incredibly powerful tool (and a great buy for US$12.95)
I mostly use Rhymesaurus for...

1. Finding rhymes

Mostly I stay with the "Perfect" and "Assonance" rhyme options. (See the first image below.)

2. Finding alliteration

As an example... if I want a three syllable word beginning with H that has the primary stress on the first syllable, I set Rhymesaurus as shown on the second image below.

3. Finding better words

For this I use the Thesaurus feature. What I like about this is that words are also internally linked so that navigating through a train of thought or a particular concept becomes easy.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Rhymesaurus 1.JPG (28.27 KB, 174 downloads)
Different rhyme types found in Rhymesaurus
Rhymesaurus 2.JPG (45.01 KB, 174 downloads)
Using 'pattern' searching to find alliteration

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Caaron,

I've used yellow legal pads but I like notebooks with tear out sheets best. I've written a verse on a bag because it was all I had in the car at grocery store parking lot. LOL!

On the computer, I just use wordpad. I tried Verse Perfect for a while - it's free. I've heard some people really like Master Writer but it's too expensive for me. So I still use mostly good old paper and wordpad.

I also like the free online rhyming and thesaurus instead of my weathered old paperback book when I use one.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Finding rhymes is easy.

Finding thoughts is harder.

Think about what story of your life you would like to tell. Then tell it.

My CD included a song about my sobriety, 1 about a girl I thought I might like to marry, though I am currently 0 for 3 in the marriage game, 1 telling a girl who ran away to LA to live with her dream man that she was making a huge mistake and she'd be back (she is), and the rest were songs about having my heart ripped out and stomped on.

All that is my way of saying that you need to tap into your emotions and make your songs real, or you are just writing empty, banal, "let me see how many rhymes I can find for 'moon'.... " songs.

Songs need to be three things.

Aural (pleasant to listen to)
Intellectual (something to think about)
and most important
Visceral (something you can feel).

Floyd commented on this thread. He is an outstanding writer, blending catchy melody with lyrics that alternate between making you laugh and making you cry. Find and listen to his song "Feeling Nothing At All". That's how you do it. Do what he does.

Now, that is like saying "See how that pilot landed that plane? Do it like that." It takes work. I see a lot of posts on these forums from people who apparently think this is easy and it doesn't take effort. It takes some musical knowledge, willingness to put in boring repetitions during practice hours, and it takes some general intelligence and a very capable skill set with the English language. (That's the intellectual part.) It also takes a thick skin because if you want to wade into any art form you will have critical listeners (like me) who are going to tell you when you did well as well as when you did not. It is important that you understand that in the phrase "constructive criticism" the key word is "constructive". I said in an earlier post that on your way to writing good songs you are going to write a lot of bad ones. The key is to get better on every piece, whether that "better" means a better chord progression, more cleverly written lyrics, or better song construction. Also remember that there are no rules. If you read a book on how to build furniture, all of your furniture is going to look like the stuff churned out by the guy who wrote the book. Music is subjective. Do it your way. Start a song with a chorus. Start one with a bridge. Your song, your rules. Your circus, your monkey.

Also remember that a lot of people take music VERY seriously. Some (like me) take it was TOO seriously. I attribute that to my having been in music for 60 years, including several in college where I got a BA in it. Get better every day, and I'll not only buy your album, when you come to Cleveland, I'll buy tickets to see you play. Very supportive community here. Take advantage just short of asking us to do it FOR you. We're here for you.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Gee, and the rest of us thought the question was about what software do you use...

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Paper.

Pencil. Quill.

Old school.

Really Old School.

grin

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Gee, and the rest of us thought the question was about what software do you use...

The answer is NO software. Gray matter, not software.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

The answer is NO software. Gray matter, not software.

I always use fire, smoke and a blanket to make phone calls! laugh

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
LOL!

Seriously, I looked for some for songwriters to keep organized - gave up on it - too limited or too expensive or both.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
LOL!

Seriously, I looked for some for songwriters to keep organized - gave up on it - too limited or too expensive or both.

I bought MasterWriter several years ago and tried to use it but finally just stopped. Not nearly useful enough to justify the hassle and expense. I still load it from time to time for rhyming ideas. I bought Rhyme Genie for rhyming and use it occasionally. It has a quirky interface I do not care for. Nowadays for rhymes I go to http://www.rhymezone.com/ or http://www.wordhippo.com/

For writing I find nothing beats Notepad or Wordpad or similar on my phone. I just need a way to capture and store the lyrics. I will resort to pencil and paper if my phone is dead but greatly prefer something more permanent and easy to store and access.

And for recording ideas I also use my phone. Got a melody or riff idea? Ya better record that immediately or lose it 5 minutes from now. So the phone works for both lyrics and melody. One device to rule them all!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
I will resort to pencil and paper if my phone is dead but greatly prefer something more permanent and easy to store and access.

J3...

I have manila folders full of lyrics on PAPER, written in PENCIL (or pen) that date back to 1977. 40 years ago. In fact, a couple of the songs I posted this year were lyrics from those folders that go back that far - dug up treasure from the past - a little rework at times and newer, "updated" melodies - but pleased that they turned up again. If I had stored those along the way - on 5 1/4" floppies? or even 3 1/2" floppies? or my flip phone?.., it would likely be hard (or impossible) to access them now - and they would likely be lost to me. Permanence is relative. And, so too, "storage and access".... just a thought...

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
If I could write like floyd I'd be willing to use clay tablets and write in cuneiform.

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I am confused. The topic as I read it was that the OP was asking for a program to help him actually write his songs. Now we are at software to organize them after they are written. What are you actually trying to find?

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/17/16 02:17 PM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
BWAHAHAHAHA.... Oh please....THAT blows my mind to no end....

Everybody's telling you just use paper and pencil and grey matter.....

BUT... get ready for this....

Every single one of them is using......BAND IN A BOX. How about you guys and gals go back to using tape and play your own instruments. (not a question....a statement) Then maybe you'll have some credibility when you say use paper and pencil to write songs.

Get real, this is 2016 going on 2017 shortly. Technology is here so use it. If you're writing a song and working on lyrics use whatever resource you have if you get stuck and need some help getting the idea for a new rhyme. You can dig out the old rhyming dictionary or you can load the app on your phone or computer website and type in a work and search for rhymes. If I give you a word and ask for rhymes, you might be able to give me 6 to 10 in a quick minute, and if you think a bit you might hit 18 or so. The computer or app will immediately list 3 to 8 full pages with primary rhymes, and then a page or two of imperfect rhymes, and then switch it to phrases and get several more pages.

So... yeah, there are free online web page writing aids as well as some phone apps. You can also look up MasterWriter and get it. I have that program loaded on my laptop and when I am writing, it's often setting there open and running since I use it to find rhyming words and phrases. More than one time, a word in the rhyme list sparked a new thought and I went back and changed the lead up lines for a whole new twist. MasterWriter has worked just fine for me....and it includes SONGUARD the 3rd party date of origin secure server.

I will use paper and pencil to scribble down an idea or aq line that comes to mind.... but when I write, it's almost always in some form of app or program. I tend to use the lyric document window in BB a lot. It's become my note pad.

And yeah, for the record, I have nothing at all against using a note pad and a pencil to work on lyrics. I have stacks of them.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
I will resort to pencil and paper if my phone is dead but greatly prefer something more permanent and easy to store and access.

J3...

I have manila folders full of lyrics on PAPER, written in PENCIL (or pen) that date back to 1977. 40 years ago. In fact, a couple of the songs I posted this year were lyrics from those folders that go back that far - dug up treasure from the past - a little rework at times and newer, "updated" melodies - but pleased that they turned up again. If I had stored those along the way - on 5 1/4" floppies? or even 3 1/2" floppies? or my flip phone?.., it would likely be hard (or impossible) to access them now - and they would likely be lost to me. Permanence is relative. And, so too, "storage and access".... just a thought...

If you back up, and I do, the electronic medium is never an issue. My 5-1/4 floppies? Backed up to tape or zip drives which were then backed up to CDs which were backed up to cheap USB drives which will now get backup up to SSDs! I even take my old handwritten stuff, scan it and back it up. My priorities are permanence and accessibility. I do indeed have some old handwritten stuff but find it might as well not exist if I cannot locate it!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Every single one of them is using......BAND IN A BOX. How about you guys and gals go back to using tape and play your own instruments. (not a question....a statement) Then maybe you'll have some credibility when you say use paper and pencil to write songs.

Get real, this is 2016 going on 2017 shortly. Technology is here so use it. If you're writing a song and working on lyrics use whatever resource you have if you get stuck and need some help getting the idea for a new rhyme. You can dig out the old rhyming dictionary or you can load the app on your phone or computer website and type in a work and search for rhymes. If I give you a word and ask for rhymes, you might be able to give me 6 to 10 in a quick minute, and if you think a bit you might hit 18 or so. The computer or app will immediately list 3 to 8 full pages with primary rhymes, and then a page or two of imperfect rhymes, and then switch it to phrases and get several more pages.

So... yeah, there are free online web page writing aids as well as some phone apps. You can also look up MasterWriter and get it. I have that program loaded on my laptop and when I am writing, it's often setting there open and running since I use it to find rhyming words and phrases. More than one time, a word in the rhyme list sparked a new thought and I went back and changed the lead up lines for a whole new twist. MasterWriter has worked just fine for me....and it includes SONGUARD the 3rd party date of origin secure server.

I will use paper and pencil to scribble down an idea or aq line that comes to mind.... but when I write, it's almost always in some form of app or program. I tend to use the lyric document window in BB a lot. It's become my note pad.

And yeah, for the record, I have nothing at all against using a note pad and a pencil to work on lyrics. I have stacks of them.

I have never used Band In A Box to write a song. I use it to generate tracks to produce songs that are already written... written on paper with a pencil or pen. To capture the melody, I in fact, use an old Sony cassette tape recorder. Credibility comes from actually writing.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

This is my app.

Is this what you are using???

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
strange-lyrics.jpg (82.22 KB, 177 downloads)
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I am confused. The topic as I read it was that the OP was asking for a program to help him actually write his songs. Now we are at software to organize them after they are written. What are you actually trying to find?

Eddie, I don't think software exists that actually writes lyrics for you....yet. At least none I'm aware of that does. What I know about that's out there - you type your lyrics in and it's supposed to help keeping your lyrics organized, all your drafts together, writing tools, and stuff like contact files, pitching, etc., features for pro songwriters to write and keep track of everything - all in one program. If you check out Master Writer which is the most well known one, you'll see. It's expensive for me and I don't really need all of the features.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Herb, since I'm the only "gal" on this thread so far, I'd suggest you re-read what I said and not put words in my mouth. Everybody didn't say what you're implying.

Some of us like the way it feels to write with a pen and paper better than typing and there's nothing wrong with that. When you've been doing it one way for years it's hard to switch. When I use the computer to write I print the lyrics out to have an easy to read hard copy I can scribble on when I'm recording. I also print out a final copy that I keep. So it really doesn't matter if I write the song typing in the computer first or write it in a notebook first. And I plainly said I like online rhyming and thesaurus better - I just use the free ones.

Other than putting words in other people's mouths to make your point - you make some good points. There's nothing wrong with technology or clay tablets if it works for the writer.

Last I checked BIAB doesn't write lyrics for anybody. smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Depends on how you write Herb. I write lyrics first. Always. The songs start as text files on my laptop. When they are done enough for music, I move them to the "shared" folder on my network. Then I go up to the studio and open the shared folder from my studio computer and there are my lyrics. Those files stay on that file server computer that lives only for that purpose, to be the shared drive computer. Spreadsheets, pictures, lyric files, correspondence.... they all have a folder on the shared drive. That drive gets backed up often.

But that's just what I do. I can't even envision sitting down with the music side of ti without lyrics in place to guide me into tempo, length of phrases, what kind of cadence the rhythm should play to match the lyrics (that buzz word "prosody" again).... I just can't write lyrics to fit music. I have to write music to fit lyrics.

Or like the old producer said, "You write the words or lyrics first?"

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, I don't think software exists that actually writes lyrics for you....yet. At least none I'm aware of that does. What I know about that's out there - you type your lyrics in and it's supposed to help keeping your lyrics organized, all your drafts together, writing tools, and stuff like contact files, pitching, etc., features for pro songwriters to write and keep track of everything - all in one program. If you check out Master Writer which is the most well known one, you'll see. It's expensive for me and I don't really need all of the features.

What confused me was this:

Quote:
So, what are you all using for lyric writing? And pros or cons you see to your methods?

That made me think he was asking for tools to create the songs, not organize them. That is why my reply was "For writing you use your brain" or however I worded it.

A lot of this likely depends on your nerd level too. Apparently some of these programs have features like a contacts manager, but I just use Microsoft Access for that and keep them in a database (the 3 friends I have are all in there!) I created. My chord charts from RB is screen captured and saved as jpg files in case I have to refer back after moving to Pro Tools. That way I don't have to load RB, deal with the programs fighting over who gets use of the interface...

But again, that's just what I do. And I don't have as many songs to deal with as someone like Notes who once said he has 550 or more. Also he is a very active, very busy performer so he has club contacts, notes about the crowds for each room to tailor a set list, and if I did that the database would include a picture of the mixer so I know how to set things up the next time in. I did that WAY back to the days of Polaroids! When the sound was in the sweet spot, take a Polaroid so we know where to start the next time. Lots of ways to do stuff.

Going to check Master Writer out to see if there is a feature I might want to add to what I do now.

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/17/16 07:18 PM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
You might have thought I threw rocks at a hornet's nest. Stay Calm and Write Music. That first part was tongue-in-cheek.

Yeah, I could see how that might come across a bit harsh..... it's all intended to be in good fun and by now you should know me a bit better than to take offense to my posts, especially you old timers around here.

I had to go back and re-read my own post. I didn't recall quoting anyone and therefore, I didn't put words into anyone's mouth. I just found it funny that we embrace musical technology for tracking but dismiss using it for lyrics.

The point I was attempting to make was that you shouldn't dismiss technology as a viable means to writing lyrics. Yep...nothing on the market writes lyrics for you, but there's certainly a lot of useful programs and apps to make the work a bit easier.

In the first paragraph past the tongue-in-cheek part ... notice I said this: If you're writing a song and working on lyrics, use whatever resource you have if you get stuck and need some help getting the idea for a new rhyme I went on to say, use a paper rhyming dictionary, which I happen to have on my studio book shelf, or use an electronic version, some of which are free and on-line. Anything you have or need to get the job done.

I find it easy to use the technology that's available. Open the rhyming dictionary and type in the word I need a rhyme for. Beats looking in the Songwriters Rhyming Dictionary in paperback for vowel sounds that might fit.

And yes, I do use pad and pencil from time to time with just an acoustic guitar, to write a song. Most of the time however, I'm setting at the computer, with BB open, my rhyming dictionary open on my laptop, and my acoustic guitar, (or electric guitar) playing and creating as I go, typing lyric ideas into the lyric document window in BB.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

I have never used Band In A Box to write a song. I use it to generate tracks to produce songs that are already written... written on paper with a pencil or pen. To capture the melody, I in fact, use an old Sony cassette tape recorder. Credibility comes from actually writing.

"The proof is in the pudding," indeed.

And I bet that old war horse was written with a quill pen smile

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
And I bet that old war horse was written with a quill pen smile

At the very least on a Yamaha 4 track....

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow! I was surprised at the number of comments to this question coming back from the weekend :-)

I guess to clarify I was just looking to see what people are using for their songwriting as far as lyric apps and programs.

I know there are quite a few out there but I'm not going to pretend I know what they all are. By Nature I always try to look for a better way. I find the shortcut to that is asking people who are doing what you do what they do :-)!

So I got a lot of great information and some things to try here!

As simple as it sounds I never considered a hybrid of Doing lyrics on a computer then also printing them out to be saved and folders!

There were a few other great ideas I got as well.

I thought I saw years ago a program that gave you the number of syllables per line but I don't remember what it would have been. I ended up not downloading it at the time because I didn't know the source it was coming from and I'm always paranoid of things like that.

So I hope that clarifies what I was looking to do. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input and continue to throw ideas out as I will continue reading and learning from this.

Thanks again you guys and gals are the best!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
More of a away to organize thoughts and rhymes, etc.... FREE app from 2007.

Rhyming Dictionary

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Writing is easy....pic attached. smile Some days, I just want to go buy a bowling ball.

I'm open to ALL tools.

I have "The Complete Rhyming Dictionary," (published 1931, rev 1991), and "Barlett's Familiar Quotations," (published 1832, revised 2002...1832..wow). Both are 5 lbs and classics, but I haven't touched them in a couple years, until right now. I use Rhymezone when I'm pressed. And I'm going to check out the site that Bob* (I think) mentioned that drills down a bit more. The names was something-dinosaur-ish (I think).

Of course, it's more satisfying when the muse just drops the whole song on you.

*Corrected - Noel

SW1.jpg (1.46 MB, 14 downloads)

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
There's a older free program called VersePerfect. It displays the number of syllables of each line, and displays a list of rhyming words for the word that currently is next to the cursor.

It's got a couple of other neat features, so if you're looking for something that's easy and free, you might consider it. It's got the most self-aggrandizing splash screen I've ever seen, but... free is free.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
There's a older free program called VersePerfect. It displays the number of syllables of each line, and displays a list of rhyming words for the word that currently is next to the cursor.

It's got a couple of other neat features, so if you're looking for something that's easy and free, you might consider it. It's got the most self-aggrandizing splash screen I've ever seen, but... free is free.

Awesome! That's the one I was trying to think of! I've never used it, but see a cleverness to it I haven't seen elsewhere.

Thanks!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks!
This looks like something that would be fun to play with.
The syllable counter is useful & scads of instantly available alternative rhymes a way to break the road blocks that happen... lots of other features I haven`t checked yet.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Wicked Cool David Thank You!!!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
OMG.

This thing is seriously outrageous. It is the best thing I have seen this year. It has totally changed my life.

Man, am I gonna write some crazy stuff in 2017. David Bowie look out.

Here we go, man.

smile

Thanks again Dave, You have created a monster.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny

Same thing I listed above, cool tool.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
write what's in your head, and heart. Did you ever have a good relationship that went bad?, and all you could do was break it off and still remain friends with this person.

Did you loose someone in your life that was very special to you? I.E. passed away, did you have a burning love for someone who you knew was the right person, but they belonged to someone else? The point is, there are many topics to write about you just have to know where to find them.

I would suggest that you get a book called the craft of Lyric writing there is a book you can read, and a workbook that you can get. Just google it on Amazon or google, or E-Bay. very, very, good.

Oh! and instead of depending on a program to write your lyrics, do it yourself. Like Floyd said, pencil, paper, eraser, etc. This is the very best way to write your lyrics. It will sound much better if it is coming from you yourself.

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I just write what the Voices tell me. grin

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I use rhymezone and a paperback rhyming dictionary and theasaurus. I am quite keen to try master writer but not sure I can justify the expense with the lack of writing I am doing at the moment frown

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Songwriting
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I use a lawnmower and seem to get great ideas while mowing the lawn during the Spring, Summer.

Got so wrapped up in a song last year I actually strayed into the next door neighbour's lawn (open plan around here) Until a deep booming voice rang out,

"Hey you get off my lawn"

smile

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 01/27/17 05:55 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
1. Freebie McGill Rhyming dictionary
2. Several online rhyming dictionaries and tools, specifically recall a dillfrog domain name
3. Trello in iOS for organizing thoughts and phrases, then PC version when I'm at my DAW
4. Google docs for cross globe collaboration
5. Notes app in iOS for voice memos when I don't have a pen and paper with me (but I always have my phone. Weird how that works)
6. Camera app in phone to capture inspiring images

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
"....instead of depending on a program to write your lyrics, do it yourself."

This seems to be a running misconception in this thread. I have not seen ONE PERSON that says their recommended program WRITES their lyrics, just that their program HELPS them either organize, find rhymes, etc....

That is no different than my way, paper-pencil-rhyming dictionary....just a LOT FASTER!

BUT sometimes that is also a problem, because as I am writing down my thoughts-ideas I can go at x-speed, and no faster....and sometimes while writing things down another idea will pop in the mix and change the outcome of the line.

Now, in THAT respect I can see the argument that the program is writing your lyric......but that is a stretch.

Just a IMHO, YMMV, yada yada type of post....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Verse perfect is the same tool as the McGill rhyming dictionary I mentioned

Songwriting
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
And, after all this, what have I learned?

Old School remains my mainstay. And to you Beta-Test crowd using Quills, I retort: "CHARCOAL on CORN HUSKS!" smile

Seriously, though - I had a flirtation with "Lyric-generating software", then a flirtation with "a huge Excel list of phrases" and a couple macros to auto-assemble them, and many other Geeky endeavors. None really worked - especially the software. In the time it would have taken me to learn the software and get a MEANINGFUL, CREDIBLE RESULT, I could learn to play cello, and still have time to write a dozen GOOD songs the old-fashioned way.

I still maintain the Excel file, just for single-phrase Inspiration. And some other observations that I hope might help:

1. Keeping a list of phrases, as I mentioned, is a BIG help to "spark" a song idea. It's actually better than BB's "title generator", because only pre-vetted ideas are in my list.
2. After a 15-year writer's block, I recently joined a Meetup group for songwriters. That was 2 weeks ago; I've since written 3 songs. Peer pressure helps!
3. After I mentioned "I've run out of things to write about", a person suggested "Exo-Autonomous Writing" - that is, forget I'm "me", and write from another person's point of view... AND STYLE.
4. An example - I developed a tune reminiscent of the Rolling Stones.But all the lyrics I wrote just didn't work. So, I Internet-Trolled through several dozen sites with lyrics to all the Rolling Stones songs, and lifted lines of lyrics that [to me] epitomized their style. Then I assembled those lines (and re-assembled a few dozen times!] into a lyric. Which sucked, of course. But THEN my own mind took over, and started tweaking and tweazing those lines... always forcing myself "not to think like ME, but like THEM". I am very close now to a credible lyric.

Maybe you're an old Star Trek fan, and recall the TOS Episode "The Ultimate Computer", where Commodore Wesley calls Kirk "Captain Dunsell", and says "you have a great job, Jim! Sit back and let the computer do the work!"

Real life ain't like that, when you're an Artist. smile

We get 168 hours a week to be alive, for as many weeks as God lets us live. What shall you do with yours?
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah not looking for an app/prog to write the lyrics FOR me. Just what people are using when they write their lyrics. Got a lot of great ideas! Thanks for all of the input!

Songwriting
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
I write my songs mainly on my Ipad in the Notes app,and then map out the chords to fit the words and the style,seems to be working ok so far!
R.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200