Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Bernard Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
OK, at first a big thank to all those who try to solve this "mistery", it helps to feel better!

Noel, I have now tried to change the settings according to your instructions, but no change. When I go to the default synth screen, the only possibility I have is Sforzando. Scaning then for new plugins just seem to reset my DXiplugin.init to 0 (meaning it erases the settings I had previously copied from BiaB 2016)(see Photo).

As I already explained before, I have now installed BiaB 2016 on an external drive and have, from begin on, without me setting anything, Forte coyote as the default synth. So I think the problem lies by BiaB 2017, maybe in relation with the new Sforzando...
Which file should I look for and try to change? What about the folder DX- settings with files like defaultDXIsynth.tgs?
Bernard

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DXiPluginlist1.jpg (127.83 KB, 146 downloads)
B
Bernard Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Latest news in Bernard against "Forte DXi" as default synth in BiaB 2017;

I did not have much time, up to now, to have a look at Real Band (2017). I have done this now and... surpriise! Forte IS there as default synth...
Trying to copy all files in relation with DXi from RB to BiaB fail.
It seems that, when I check "scan for new DX", under options, the program produces a new .tg file (DefaultDXiSynth.tgs, under the folder "DX Settings)and does not look for new Synths... Very strange!

Veteran
Veteran
You are, have, or tried contacting PG on this? (because this looking 99% like an actual tech issue .)

One last hail Mary (and it's just a hail Mary) - exit BIAB, then DELETE the " DefaultDXiSynth.tgs" in the "x:\ …\bb\DX settings"

Next time your start BIAB, BIAB will rebuild it using the " Factory_DefaultDXiSynth.tgs" and then update with what it sees

some comments:

1. It's a very unlikely Sforzando had anything to do with issues with BIAB and it's ability to see DXi's because SForzando is a VSTi (so it’s as related as apples and rifles)

2. By having Forte DXi show up in RealBand (and it is RB 2017 correct ? not Real 2016?)- PROVES you have Forte DXi installed correctly. There is no reason BIAB can't "see it" so there is nothing you can on that front (Forte DXi ain't broke so you can’t fix it).

3. You can quit copying the " DXiPluginList.ini " file into BIAB's \bb directory because that idea was a "let's try that just for for grins because it's a million to one long shot." Besides, every time you do a "scan" for new DX's, that scan updates that file with what it finds, which appears to always report ZERO Dxi's .

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
B
Bernard Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I have done that already, and it does not work. The program does not find a new dx by scaning and then the .tgs is replaced by a new one with nothing changed.
Yes, Forte is the default synth in RB 2017 (without me having done something special)
I have contacted the live help and they send me to support, which i will call now. I ll report afterwards.
Bernard

B
Bernard Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I have contacted support yesterday... Unfortunately, the needed senior engineer was on sick leave, so that we have to wait until he comes back.
Could be a bug, so they said...
Bernard

Veteran
Veteran
Well hope you can get it fixed soon, I KNOW it's frustrating especially if it is your ONLY GM synth

While you wait I can I make a suggestion and it’s all FREE and sounds pretty good (the GM soudns you end up with are very very good)

1. Read about it here

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

2. Download CoolSoft Virtual MIDI Synth (IT IS A GM synth) here. GET version 1.17.1 DO NOT try version 2.00 - 2.00 is a BETA .

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth#download

3. If you have more than a few GB's of RAM than use the SGM-V2.10 sound font, listed further down the first page (it's the best GM sound font package I've ever tired, and I have tried all the free GM SF sets).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zo8l3dgf2989266/SGM-V2.01.7z

You will need 7zip to unzip - if your favorite unzip utility doesn’t already unzip it

http://www.7-zip.org/

4. Next install Virtual MIDI synth during install it will

a. Ask if you want it as your DEFAULT MIDI Out Device I suggest NO (you can configure it in BIAB, or later if you like)

b. Asks (actually it tells you) to add a sound font to work (it won’t make any sounds if you don't install at least one sound font bank) but when you check that box and it just takes you back to Coolsoft site where sound fonts are listed - after downloading other fonts or not and you close your browser windows it will ask to to re-boot PC, just go ahead and re-boot.

c. After re-booting you should find a "CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth" program folder in your Start Programs list.

d. Run "Configure Virtual midi synth" and add your now unzipped SGM-2.01.sf2 (where ever you unzipped it at) and I would not change or worry any of the other defaults right now.

PS this is a technical geek thing (and no you don’t need to worry about it ) so this is just info but the Virtual MIDISynth acts like a DEVICE, actually you can think of it as an EXTERNAL MIDI Device. That being the case it installs like a device and not like a "program" so it does not install to the C:\Programs Files. If you are looking for where it installs to (please DO NOT MOVE IT or muck around with it), "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth\.."

5. Open BIAB:

a. Remember "Virtual MIDISYNTH" is NOT a VSTi or DXi: so you can treat it, and think of it, as an external GM module. So within BIAB go to

Options -> MIDI/Audio Driver setup

UNCHECK "Use VSTi/DXi synth"

Under MIDI Output Driver select the " CoolSoft VirtualMIDI Synth"

Now exit that menu and the CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth Mixer window will open (remember think of the Virtual synth as a piece of external hardware, so just like a piece of external gear you can set volume on each part as well as over all volume)

Now pick a BIAB song with MIDI parts or a whole GM song it should play just fine (and if the mixer gets lost under BIAB just "Crtl-Alt-M" will pop it back up

Good luck with above and with getting Forte working

Larry

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Friday, December 16, 2016 (2).jpg (180.94 KB, 84 downloads)

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:
PS this is a technical geek thing (and no you don’t need to worry about it ) so this is just info but the Virtual MIDISynth acts like a DEVICE, actually you can think of it as an EXTERNAL MIDI Device. That being the case it installs like a device and not like a "program" so it does not install to the C:\Programs Files. If you are looking for where it installs to (please DO NOT MOVE IT or muck around with it), "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\VirtualMIDISynth\.."

Like Larry said, it acts like a MIDI out port, so just be aware that it is not a DXi or VSTi synth and that you can't render directly with it. To render to audio, you would have to "record" it, much like you would do with an external hardware synth.

That being said, I use it in several apps and it works just fine.

My favorite soundfont to use is the 31.9MB Reality soundfont. Not perfect, but pretty close to the sound from the TTS-1 DXi.

If interested, let me know and I can get it to you.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Yes another really good SF is the Reality one - BOTH are at least GM2 - so you have "extensions" of sounds beyond first 128.

Also I have to admit that the Reality SF is probably 3db+ louder for some reason - which is good.

Finally if you try to find & download it yourself realize its SFARK compressed, you WILL need sfArk utility to decompress to it's sf2 format.

So if unfamiliar let John supply direct (only way I have to get it to you is via email).

Larry

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
And in case anyone is interested, sfArk works in Windows 10 (even though it is a very old program).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
B
Bernard Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
OK, once again, thanks, larry and JFord for looking for solutions with me... I suppose you have already experienced this frustration when you cannot find a solution for a problem and try and try...
Anyway, I will try what you suggest with the other synth, need more time and have now to go to bed in Germany to be fit tomorrow for a new trying session.
Honestly, I dont think it will work... I already have a second synth available in my system, TTS1 from Cakewalk that some people use. It apears in my list of Plugins (BiaB 2016) together with Forte and does not apear either when scaning for new synth under BiaB 2017.
So I expect it will be the same with another synth. But we will see, I'll report tomorrow.
But not everything is bad in life (!), I have just downloaded patch 354 and miracle, the custom tabs are now staying when I re open BiaB, which was not the case up to now (That was the subject of an other post of mine). Thank the Lord!!!
Bernard

Veteran
Veteran
Go get some sleep and have faith that:

1 PG will get your DXi plugins problem sorted out for both Forte and TTS-1 and any other DX/DXi issues you have, and that

2. the solution I mentioned, and John seconded, is NOT a plugin solution - it is a completely different "thing" and approach. It is NOT a VSTi, it is NOT a DXi, it is a pseudo-hardware DEVICE as far as BIAB is concerned, like your sound card or external MIDI keyboards.

I'm 99.9% certain that no matter what other issues you are having with DXi's this will work - becasue ti is NOT a plugin.

GOOD LUCK!

Larry

Journeyman
Journeyman
I agree.

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
B
Bernard Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Aaaarrgh! does not work!!! (Bernard you are the "Looser" of the year!).
First let me tell you that your instructions for downloading and installing the Cool Synth are PERFECT and I could not do anything wrong...
- I have downloaded and installed Cool Synth (Vers 1.7)
- I have downloaded the SGM V2 sfonts (I went to another site to download the full file because the zip version would not download).
- I have installed the Cool synth and see it apear in my output synth list (yyeess!).
- I have chosen it (of course with virtual synth unchecked)and...
nothing! the interface does NOT apear and when playing a midi file no sound comes out.
- Back to my normal setting: I use the Ketron SD2 via the midi interface (midi to USB) UMG1: works!
- Back to the Cool Synth configurator (luck you gave me the path where to find it) checked that the font are checked ok, set the Cool Synth as default synth: still does not show any interface and does not give any sound.
OK nice try/next try!!!
Bernard (still happy anyway!)

Veteran
Veteran
What is your AUDIO setting ASIO or MME - whatever it is try the OTHER ONE

also did you REBOOT PC after Virtual synth INSTALL?

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/17/16 06:00 AM.

B
Bernard Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
It was certainly on asio (I only use MME when I have an "asio error" coming up). I will try again with both settings...
Yes, I rebooted after the installation of Cool Synth, your instructions were clear!
Bernard

B
Bernard Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Unfortunately it does not work... After setting MME or Asio, choosing "Cool Synth" in the midi output and clicking ok just results in the screen closing and that's it.
Bernard

Veteran
Veteran
just verifying - nothing against you.

Veteran
Veteran
another just verifying:

IN BIAB do an Options - > "Return to Factory Settings" and use the ALL option

THEN exit BIAB

Next (remember I'm just verifying) run the "Configure VirtualMIDISynth" (its in your start menu items) and verify that the SGM .sf2 or the Reality sound font, if you have it from John or the Web, is LOADED

Then restart BIAB and re-do the steps from above (select Virtual MIDI synth as MIDI output, uncheck use VSTi, etc.)

ALMOST forgot the "interface disappearing" just use "Ctrl-Alt-M" to bring up the Coolsoft mixer

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/17/16 07:07 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
One other thing to look at (it should already be set like this but if not then set it like this)

MIDI out.jpg (166.48 KB, 39 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Don't give up on Coyte Forte, it is simply the best 40 USD solution to getting good GM sounds from BIAB and it is not supposed to be this hard.

We are rooting for you Bernard grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,533
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200