Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Z
Zilch Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Ok, I just bought Band-in-a-box. I have to admit I'm struggling with it's obvious 16bit legacy a bit (8.3 filenames, ... but I'm assuming it's a 32bit app. Couldn't find much documentation on that.

I'm running 64bit Windows 7, and hoping it's going to work. It does work, but I've only had it working with the Microsoft MIDI mapper, and horrible latency/sound.

I read on the forums that the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas VST doesn't play nicely with 64bit, which is ok as I'm planning on running Kontakt 4 as my sound generator.

Questions:

1) Anyone running a config similar to this?
2) Does Kontakt dome with a GM patch that would work as a (32bit) VST with BiaB?
3) Is there any way I can share the Delta 1010lt's ASIO driver between BiaB and Kontakt? (Or do I need to figure out their insane VST support?)

Thanks!
Zilch.

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hello Zilch I´ve had had a simular problem whith BiaB, but I´ve build a new PC now.
My new wone it´s a I7 whith the 64 Bit XP professional vershen, but I never had problems whith
native instruments Bandstand and now I have the Kopmplet 5 also running at the new wonn.
If you planed to running Kontakt 4 it would leike better and cheeper to bay the Komplet 6 for I think in Germany 499 €.
In my systhem fore GM you remember that I´ve Bandstand fore the VstI player, if I wouled play live to BiaB so I must be
had the installed the Komplete 5 in stand allone too, than can play the B4 II and also athers to the playback simultan!
But I plan to bay the Kore 2 SE to have the brend new soundlibarys und real brass and sax instruments.
I hope I caned help you.

LG Matze

Oh sorry I´f forgotten my soundcard is Delta 1010LT but the 64 Bit vershen from M-Audio is a Beta vershen!

But I´ve never had have problems whith the Soundcard

Z
Zilch Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi Bubix,

Thanks for the reply. 64bit XP? Really? I don't think anyone really supports it. Glad it is working for you thought.

I have used Bandstand and it is ok, but discontinued now. Yes you are right, the Komplete 6 is a good deal, but still expensive. At the moment I just have Kontak 3 Play (free/demo version) but I don't think it comes with a GM sound set. Have you tried Kontak 3 as a VST in BiaB? Does it work ok? Can you play it live within BiaB?

How do you have Komplete 6 working with BiaB? Kontak 3 on ASIO and BiaB on MMC drivers?

Thanks again,
Zilch.

M
Expert
Expert
M
Zilch
in theory 64 bit OS's sound good.
but the devils in the details.
and the details are will ones sound devices n gear and audio apps work well ??.
sometimes it takes a time for developers to issue new drivers etc etc
for a new OS release.
your prolly wanting this new OS approach for the large memory array support.
correct ?? so you can load up on libs of samples ..correct ??
however there is no free lunch mate.
ive looked at komplete and lots of other such packages and big sample libs etc etc..
but the fact is one needs a darn good n powerfull pc with darn good performance
processor/memory/hard drives etc etc to support the new environment.
which is why i suspect the other poster got an i7.
i personally think its too early myself and am lagging behind the curve
with xp, because i feel its just too early.
i personally am looking for more maturity in 7 ..64 bit OS's..before i make a move.
and much more support in the sound drivers area etc etc.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Z
Zilch Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
It's early days yet, but I haven't had a single issue or crash with the 64bit Windows 7, nor the M-Audio beta 64bit driver. Performance is fine on my the older dual core mother board I am using (way better than XP and Vista on my older P4 machine) I'll upgrade to an i5 at some stage in the future.

All the real audio apps I have (or am planning to buy come) with 64bit binaries, so I don't really see any reason to stay with the limits of a 32bit OS on this machine. (If worst comes to worst it's only a matter of reinstalling)

BiaB runs ok too (so far), despite it's obvious aging 16bit heritage and messy interface/structure. The only real issue I have is with the bundled virtual instruments... (I suspect they would actually run, but the installer does an OS check and exits).

To be honest, even if they ran, I'm not really interested in using sounds that are more than 10 years old, and in a program that won't run on a modern OS. If I really wanted the sound canvas sounds, I would just get my SC-88Pro back off the friend I lent it to, and plug it into the MIDI interface - but really, it sounds terrible.

...so yeah, I'm looking for a better solution.

Expert
Expert
Quote:

To be honest, even if they ran, I'm not really interested in using sounds that are more than 10 years old

I wouldn't be so quick to write off old synths - I have a Yamaha S-YXG50 softsynth that is not only old, but it has a very small sample bank too. I am yet to find an easy to use GM synth to match it. It is certainly superior to the Roland DXi and VSC3 (with the exception of Rolands Rhodes) - but of course, that's just my opinion...

Actually, that Yam is one of the main reasons I haven't yet seriously considered vista or Win7 - it won't work and I have no wish to lose it. Hopefully I can get it to work under Win7's XP-SP3 VM, but I ain't holding my breath.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
BIAB may look like a 16 bit app, but I'm pretty sure that it was totally converted to 32 bit with 32 bit audio engine some versions ago. Don't remember which version, but do remember that it was big news around here. And welcome.

--Mac

Z
Zilch Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Quote:

Actually, that Yam is one of the main reasons I haven't yet seriously considered vista or Win7 - it won't work and I have no wish to lose it. Hopefully I can get it to work under Win7's XP-SP3 VM, but I ain't holding my breath.

Win7's XP compatibility mode didn't seem to help the Roland DXi installer - although the PG Music website seems to say it works in Vista with compatibility mode... maybe I'm doing something wrong. It is the installer that fails. Not sure if the actual app would have issues once it's installed or not...

Can't you rip the samples from your Yamaha softsynth into something like Kontakt?

Z
Zilch Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Quote:

BIAB may look like a 16 bit app, but I'm pretty sure that it was totally converted to 32 bit with 32 bit audio engine some versions ago. Don't remember which version, but do remember that it was big news around here. And welcome.

Yeah - I'm sure it is a 32bit app now... (typical as the world is now going 64bit)...but it still looks like it belongs on Windows 3.11, with it's 8.3 char filenames and installer that defaults to the root of the C: drive etc. *shiver* PG Music really need to spend some time tidying up their apps behind the scenes, and from a UI point of view. That would be better than just adding more features IMO. This is generally why I have abandoned PG Music apps in the past.

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Hi Zilch,

I may have the wrong end of the stick, but "8.3 Char filenames"?? Open Options > Preferences > and check "Custom File Name dialogue" to obtain full Windows File Naming options. I think that this should be made the default setting. Again, the first Install Panel for the 2009/5 programs gives you the option to Browse to where you want to install BB and RealBand. A later Panel gives you the options to install RealDrums/RealTracks and to select different locations as appropriate.

The Graphic Displays are critised on a regular basis, but a great deal of function can be started from the Main Window. To reduce the perceived clutter would require a number of different access levels to functions which would tend to make the program less usuable in certain circumstances. Why don't you try your hand at rationalising the Window layouts and contact PG Music with your ideas as they understand the full program context?

Lyn

Veteran
Veteran
Well, yes you can save your own files as long file names, but the fact does remain that style files are still 8.3. That doesn't give you much "descriptive room" in the file name to indicate what a style is all about.

It would be nice when all associated files could be long names, but I don't think that should preclude using the product.

"Wow, BIAB supports long file names."
"Cool, let's hear some music you created with it."
"Uuh, did I tell that BIAB supports long file names."

It's probably just me, but I think sometimes we get so caught up in the aesthetics of the program's look and feel that we forget why we're actually using it in the first place.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
M
Expert
Expert
M
Zilch
with respect its very easy to critique "look n feel"/gui's etc
if one is an end user rather than a software engineer.
remember not everyone is installing 64 bit OS's.
lots of people still run prolly biab etc on older win OS's.
and therein lies the rub for a developer.
the developer doesnt want to force a new OS upgrade
(and added expense..) on the user base.
yes a lot of the new sample player software etc n sample libs
seem nice in theory. with lots of flashy gui's.
BUT , there is no free lunch. some of these apps are very large
and often require a investment in a new powerfull pc
to be effective. some of them are massive apps.
which puts me off frankly. cos my own experience
developing systems tells me that massive apps come with as big cost.

one can see the result today. viz people trying to do stuff
with big sample arrays that some puny laptops cant handle with
all the other recording and multitracking duties.

i too personally long for the day when i can incorporate in songs
any darn variation of an orchestral instrument i would like.
ie every instrument in an orchestra.
but i'm also a realist n realise the pc (and mac..) hardware technology
imho isnt there yet.
the day will certainly come when we have in our studios ultra powerfull
computers capable of doing everything we desire includeing
such sophisticated modelling of instruments it will be mind
boggling. but imho its gonna take further rounds of processor/memory/
storage technology developments.
until then midi still has its place imho.
cos midi traks place little load on a pc if running to external synths
or midi modules.
bottom line, we all want nirvana...but its gonna cost.
advanced computer hardware and software engineering/products dont come cheap.
and is outside the small budgets that most of us have.
big studios with big cash flows , different story.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Veteran
Veteran
If all I need a PC for is BIAB and internet, am I better off with Win 7 64 bit or 32 bit? Thanks, Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 10/09/09 09:20 AM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Zilch,

Band-in-a-Box itself runs great on 64-bit operating systems, but unfortunately the VSC synth doesn't work on 64-bit OS. An alternative synth that you could try out is the ForteDXi - can download a demo from http://www.pgmusic.com/fortedxi.htm

I think the other VSTi synths you're mentioning *should* work fine. Check that they have a General MIDI compatible set of instruments. Hopefully it's possible for you to try out a demo of them. Make sure you understand how to add and select a VSTi synth in Band-in-a-Box - Open the VST/DX window, and choose "Add VSTi Plugin" from the top plugin drop-down menu. VSTi synths that you've added like this will appear at the bottom of the list of plugins with the prefix <VSTi> (including the angled brackets).

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
W
Expert
Expert
W
Personally, I think a simple as possible GUI and a 32 bit OS will give me and many folks all the tools I(we) need to make the music I want, I hate getting bogged down in a complex front end of some programs when all i want to do is use the tool at hand.
As systems evolve, programmers tend to fill up available space(mem, drives OS features, leave no byte unused) and somethings can bog down.
64 Bit has it's place but I also like to give an OS several dot versions before I jump in the water. Win7 has yet to be released
Like others have mentioned before to me, midi out to a hardware sound module can be a very nice sound.
Just my POV, Wyndham

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,087
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185