Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
Elefem Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm struggling to figure out how to enter a new melody line with my Yamaha keyboard, BIAB 2013 and Mac Mini. I choose MacOS X CoreMidi and hit record, but I can hear my input only with the keyboard phones, and the rhythm track only with the Mac built-in speakers. Is there a better way? And I can't see any input until I'm asked if I want to keep the take; and I can't hear my line against the rhythm background w/o switching to the Apple DLS driver. I'm good with switching, but when I try to switch back to CoreMidi to record some more, it tells me CoreMidi can't be installed, so pick another driver. I have to reboot. Where have I gone wrong in all this (more than one place, I'm guessing)?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
A few questions back, to try get some focus (or to at least avoid dragging you into a direction you never wanted to go, heh):

What would be your desired outcome in terms of what you hear and where from you hear it?
Have you thought of fiddling with the "Local On/Off" setup in BBox preferences?
Precisely how are you connecting your Yamaha to your Mac?

p.s. If "one chorus would be enough", perhaps simply setting your song to just one chorus before you start recording might be worth considering. You can always edit or add afterwards, if needed.

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Beginners Forum
Elefem Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Icelander
What would be your desired outcome in terms of what you hear and where from you hear it?

My top priority is hearing my recorded keyboard input play against the BB rhythm section. So far I can achieve this only by switching from CoreMidi to Apple Synth. If this switch is necessary, then my priority is to have BB keep CoreMidi available as a driver option; as it stands, I have to quit/restart BB which is a raging nuisance.

Following your prompt, I've tried fiddling with the "Local On/Off" setup in BBox preferences, but the situation remains unchanged.

Lesser priorities: to hear the BB rhythm section and my playing through the same set of phones when recording. I can live with wearing two, but it seems clumsy. Also, ideally, I'd like to see my notes appear on some staff somewhere while I'm recording, but if this is not possible no big deal.

Originally Posted By: Icelander
Precisely how are you connecting your Yamaha to your Mac?

I'm using an M-Audio Uno, usb at the computer of course, and plugged into the keyboard per instructions on the cable ends. This setup shown and confirmed in Midi Studio. All ports set to the Uno.

BTW I solved my "one chorus" problem (brilliant: just don't click the All Choruses option when keeping a take...)

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your patient approach.
LFM

Band In A Box 2013
Mac Mini (late 2012) Yosemite (10.10.5)
Monitor 1680 x1050 HDMI
M-Audio Uno Midi Interface, Yamaha DX21 Keyboard
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yea well, let's hold of the thank you's for a bit, for we have barely cracked a fraction of these issues yet wink
So on we trudge to get further into this:

You are absolutely sure that Midi Out in your CoreMidi setup actually works? I mean, when in the Audio/Midi setup, you can verify that output sent from your computer is actually being received by your keyboard!? For in all honesty, it rather seems like it isn't.
I must admit I am quite stumped by that "disappearing" CoreMidi issue that I simply have never seen before confused
That bit alone makes me want to advice you to take this straight to Support or Live Help at least to track this down.
I'm also surprised that "fiddling" with Local Control hasn't at the very least given you different results (Off or On should at least make a difference, even if not the difference you may have wanted), especially in terms of what you hear from your keyboard when playing. So that's a strike two, things not looking to good here smirk
What I can tell you though is that your idea of seeing the notes as you play is something that BBox just cannot do. So at the very least that's one less thing for you to worry about.

Hopefully other user will start chiming in on this thread too - make that, other MAC USERS, to make that abundantly clear!

p.s. It's a good idea to do what I and most users on here have done and edit your profile to indicate at least your fundamental computer system and BBox version (you need to do this yourself by hand in your forum profile settings). Saves a lot of hoops you'll otherwise be asked to jump through each time you face some problem.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Elefem,

Another consideration is that you may be playing Real Tracks with BIAB, which are audio NOT MIDI. Audio, of course, will not be sent to your keyboard via the USB Uno cable. If you wouldn't mind, try using one of the old ZZstyles and turn off Real Drums, and see what you hear (and where you hear it).

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: babarton
Elefem,

Another consideration is that you may be playing Real Tracks with BIAB, which are audio NOT MIDI. Audio, of course, will not be sent to your keyboard via the USB Uno cable. If you wouldn't mind, try using one of the old ZZstyles and turn off Real Drums, and see what you hear (and where you hear it).

Bruce
Good observations regarding the RT styles, glad more people are chipping in on this one. The only reservation about the "ZZstyles" advice might be that most of them have now an RT "Style Alias" attached to them, which might kick in and replace the intended midi style when one of those are selected and ruin the test. So watch out for that eventuality, just in case. This feature can be turned off, but I think the default setting for it is On, so that would have to be done manually.

Meanwhile, another midi-check advice just came to me: It's always preferable to turn on your computer first, before turning on your attached midi keyboard/device. This is to ensure that any kind of usb-to-midi system drivers/extensions are already up and running before testing connectivity.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Simplest solution to hearing keyboard sound in BiaB and recording the MIDI from it, is to run an Audio connection From the keyboard out To the computer in.

Then sound from the keyboard goes directly in and can be mixed with the other tracks.

You can still record just the MIDI if you want, but can also record the audio this way if desired.
I usually record both when working in RB.

Last edited by rharv; 01/05/17 01:41 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
You can still record just the MIDI if you want, but can also record the audio this way if desired.=== I usually record both when working in RB.
We don't have RB (and never will) but the rest of your advice is solid enough. If memory serves, the Mac Mini isn't all too generous when it comes to inputs, though, but it's well worth looking into.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
He may need to get a cheap USB audio device, but it will save lots of headaches.

Never say never.

Last edited by rharv; 01/05/17 02:02 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
A good point. And of course, replace the "RB" bit with just about any DAW and your initial advice is solid throughout cool

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Icelander, I think you're correct about the default being to substitute a Real Style for midi styles.

Rharv, I think you hit the nail squarely on the head - I think the OP needs a USB audio interface.

Elefem, has any of this helped?

Macbook Pro 2018
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Beginners Forum
Elefem Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry, I was unable to participate in the conversation for a day or so.

Originally Posted By: babarton

Bruce

I was indeed using RT, but now I've turned off RD and my guineapig tune is 16 Tons with ZZContry.STY. No particularly good results, however. Midi driver is CoreMidi, and I can hear the rhythm section via the computer, whereas I had previously to set it to Apple Synth to hear it. Midi Studio sees the keyboard and the Uno interface, and the connections test out. But now I do not have the Uno as a port setting option, and nothing at all shows in the Midi In box.

I can hear the output test chord via the keyboard phones, and see the Uno midi-out light blink. The midi input arrow lights when test-plunking the keyboard, but I don't hear anything. FWIW the midi-in light on the Uno blinks at an unvarying 2/sec rate as soon as it's plugged in.

I'm totally thrashing down here, no real idea what results to expect from what. Maybe I have a hardware problem? Could my System Prefs for Sound have any role in this?

I'll try rharv's audio set-up suggestion; definitely open to work-arounds at this point...

Band In A Box 2013
Monitor 1680 x1050 HDMI
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Elefem
Midi Studio sees the keyboard and the Uno interface, and the connections test out. But now I do not have the Uno as a port setting option, and nothing at all shows in the Midi In box. I can hear the output test chord via the keyboard phones, and see the Uno midi-out light blink. The midi input arrow lights when test-plunking the keyboard, but I don't hear anything.
This is starting to sound like a "flaky midi connectivity" kind of issue, i.e. drivers, interfaces & cables, possibly even system version related (the one vital thing you've neglected to include in your updated profile).
Time to take this to Live Help & Support, me thinks smirk

Beginners Forum
Elefem Offline OP
OP Offline
Happily, I got the Uno back as a Midi Input setting option as soon as I switch midi drivers from CoreMidi to Apple Synth and then back. I'm wondering if I should be setting all ports to the Uno, and if the Midi-In light on the Uno ever does anything but flicker.

Perhaps I'm mistaken in expecting to hear the BBox rhythm section over my keyboard phones under any circumstances?—although I don't see otherwise what the point of a midi out to the keyboard would really be.

Live Help says their main tech guy is out for the week, so we'll see Monday if there's anything left of my problems and/or computer.

Band In A Box 2013
Monitor 1680 x1050 HDMI
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I'm wondering if I should be setting all ports to the Uno
Of course you should if your intention is to hear the notes via your Uno. And ignore the lights if your ears and eyes don't match each other. Rely on ears before eyes in music, always,
Also, your optimal chain of sequence is: 1. start up Mac, 2. turn on keyboard and 3. then run BBox!
Perhaps I'm mistaken in expecting to hear the BBox rhythm section over my keyboard phones under any circumstances?
No, as long as those are midi, that is precisely what you should expect. It works on my keyboard and I'm on a Mac like you => it should on yours as well.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Then again, we see now (at last) that you are running Yosemite, the Mac system least compatible with BBox, so... smirk
When you do get a hold of that tech support, be sure to open with that piece of information straight off the bat. It will be the most important thing you ever say to them.

Good luck!

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ditto what Icelander said: this should work. How about using Garageband - can you record midi to GB and play it back through your keyboard?

Macbook Pro 2018
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Beginners Forum
Elefem Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been holding off until there was something significant to report. To make a long story short, Live Help was No Help and Tech Support was basically unreachable. I finally went to Goodwill and bought a Cheap Farfisa. Worked like a champ, so I guess the problem was with my Cheap Yamaha!

Thanks, y'all, for your attempts to help me out.
LFM

Band In A Box 2013
Monitor 1680 x1050 HDMI
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks likewise for the update, something far too few around here bother with once they find the fix to their problem.
So not even a clean install did the job? shocked

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great to hear your follow up on this. Glad to hear you got it working!

Macbook Pro 2018
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195