Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If you have a spare hour to watch this video it is well worth it.

https://youtu.be/gBI0L2rfgic

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I cannot find any songwriting credits for Neil Diercks. No copyrights, releases, cuts. Near as I can tell he was an A&R guy in Nashville.

I would like to hear some of his hooks.

Regards,

Bob

Songwriting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
From the Berklee website:
"Neil Diercks is a Los Angeles-based songwriter, song coach, and musician. He served for many years in various capacities at Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., in Nashville, beginning as an intern and eventually becoming Manager of A&R Activities. It was within this role that he worked with hit songwriters including Gary Burr, Steve Bogard, Stephony Smith, Jeff Stevens, and Victoria Shaw, who penned hits for artists such as Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, Ricky Martin, and Christina Aguilera."

This makes it sound like as an A&R guy, he worked with the songwriters who wrote a bunch of big name hits. He wasn't the songwriter, but must've known how to put puzzle pieces together.

I'll check out the video. Thanks for the share, Joanne!

-Mark

Last edited by railway mark; 01/05/17 06:21 AM.

Mark
2020 BIAB Audiophile, Mixcraft Pro 9
Band: http://www.midwesternlull.com
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
"This makes it sound like as an A&R guy, he worked with the songwriters who wrote a bunch of big name hits. He wasn't the songwriter, but must've known how to put puzzle pieces together."

Osmosis? grin

Whatever. It's your time. wink

Regards,

Bob
Starmaker Machine Inc.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Joanne, I'll give it a watch.

Not trying to hijack here Joanne but I have to say this.

When I see these posts (and Bob is not the only of late who's written one) that come off like - oh so and so hasn't written any hits they're only been an A&R person - those who can't do teach haha - or maybe it's osmosis - insinuating the person doesn't know what they're talking about or have anything of value to share - I beg to differ.

If anyone expects to ever hear their song on the radio - which up until recently was the only way to get a hit and is still the number one way people consume and hear new music - the song has to get past the A&R person before the record company promotion department spends money on it.

An A&R person who doesn't have an ear for hooks is not going to get a job at a major record company. And if they were to slip in somehow they wouldn't keep it long. A big part of their job is to work with songwriters and pick the best songs on a daily basis. And what makes great songs are great hooks.

It's okay to write for fun just to please yourself. But for those serious about this or who just really want to grow and get better, I wouldn't assume that an A&R person who is responsible for finding hits and is involved in making hits every day with their career on the line has no valuable or useful knowledge to share.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Thanks for the share Joanne!

(And I agree with Josie 101%!)

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome share! I can't wait to listen to it this weekend.

I feel like one of those people on the recipe sites that say "Looks great! can't wait to try it!" arg! smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Last edited by 90 dB; 01/05/17 12:25 PM.
Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello Joanne,

Thank you for the share. I will be certain to check it out! Now if I could find a spare hour (haha! :))

Pauline
PG Music Team

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Josie. I agree with what you are saying. And no worries about hijacking the thread cool

My first thought was "well neither have we had any top hits" (that I know of). To me it is always worthwhile to learn how other people approach songwriting. One thing is for sure, there is no right or wrong way.

This guy is certainly entertaining. He is basically showing how to develop a hook in a collaborative environment based on the rhythmic, melodical and lyrical idea that hits most people in the gut. I also have to agree with him that more often than not the hooks need less actual words than what we would imagine.

Just another tool in my songwriting toolbox.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
I wrote 9.5 songs for a 10 record album. By the time all the producer's and our manager's ideas, changes, arrangements and tweaks were done, the 10 songs we, the band, had chosen did not all make the cut to be recorded or sounded the way we played them. Some session musicians added to play new parts or instruments band members did not play or play to a sufficient level, only one song came out of the process, close to the 'record' in my head when the songs were written.

To play our original songs post album became a task of the band having to learn the song to a new arrangement from what we played before recording the album.

Today, a lead guitar solo may be a comp of dozens alternate versions recorded. All played live by the band's lead guitarist but he may not have been part of the post production party and therefore has to 'learn' his solo decided from a producer's comp. The credited lead guitarist in many ways becomes the same as the uncredited lead guitarist we comp in RB on our songs.

Point being, most songs recorded commercially have many un-credited co-writers, collaborators and arrangers between when the song is written and when the final version is released. The A&R rep would certainly fit in the picture I think.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
“When I see these posts (and Bob is not the only of late who's written one) that come off like - oh so and so hasn't written any hits they're only been an A&R person - those who can't do teach haha - or maybe it's osmosis - insinuating the person doesn't know what they're talking about or have anything of value to share - I beg to differ.”

What I actually said was:

“I cannot find any songwriting credits for Neil Diercks. No copyrights, releases, cuts. Near as I can tell he was an A&R guy in Nashville.

I would like to hear some of his hooks.”

I'm not 'insinuating' anything. I would just like some proof that he knows what he's talking about. He's promoting himself as a “Song Coach”. OK. What have you written? Anything?

By using these writers and artists in his bio, he is trading on their reputations.

“It was within this role that he worked with hit songwriters including Gary Burr, Steve Bogard, Stephony Smith, Jeff Stevens, and Victoria Shaw, who penned hits for artists such as Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, Ricky Martin, and Christina Aguilera."

I find that reprehensible, but it's par for the course.

Could I interest you in The Starmaker Machine Winter Special? We have a new Song Coach. grin

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
By using these writers and artists in his bio, he is trading on their reputations.

“It was within this role that he worked with hit songwriters including Gary Burr, Steve Bogard, Stephony Smith, Jeff Stevens, and Victoria Shaw, who penned hits for artists such as Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, Ricky Martin, and Christina Aguilera."

Well yeah! Like he's the only one who name drops....
I'm thinking you must be kidding. LOL!

Quote:
Could I interest you in The Starmaker Machine Winter Special? We have a new Song Coach. grin

Man, I was really tempted to sign with Starmakers but then I found Wham Bam Studio - I just send in my poem I wrote in 5th grade and they take care of the rest. LOL!

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

How in the world is it "reprehensible" to list folks you have worked with?

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

An uncharitable reader might conclude that the paragraph was written to be misread as:

"Neil Diercks is a Los Angeles-based songwriter, song coach, and musician ... that worked with hit songwriters ... who penned hits for artists."

Others might simply watch the video and see if he has something useful to say. wink

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

An uncharitable reader might conclude that the paragraph was written to be misread as:

"Neil Diercks is a Los Angeles-based songwriter, song coach, and musician ... that worked with hit songwriters ... who penned hits for artists."

Others might simply watch the video and see if he has something useful to say. wink

Have to agree David. After all he is not asking us for any money.

Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I should have mentioned that "uncharitable reader" refers to me, not Bob.

To my detriment, of course. blush

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Thanks for the link, it is well worth the watch! grin

Berklee also had a songwriting course online a year or 2 back that was a great one to go thru. It was more in-depth, but just as easy to follow.

And don't let "snarky" comments get to ya, all forums have them..... wink cool

Last edited by jcspro40; 01/08/17 07:25 PM.

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Any "summary" of the main points? I haven't had the time to watch it yet.

Thanks!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks for posting this, Joanne. I watched the first half, will watch the rest later. The guy is a good presenter, but sounds like he came straight out of "Wayne's World" sometimes...dude! grin

I usually listen for content with things like this, rather than question the person's professional credits on the front end. There are a lot of folks on the periphery of the "biz" that have some good info to share whether they've made it to the top of the mountain or not. Everyone can teach you something.

Thanks,
Bob

Songwriting
Apprentice
Apprentice
Around about minute 20 he's talking about making the melody less boring, and he says it comes from rhythm, not just pitch. Well, okay, it depends on where you're starting from, but rhythm in a song should build on the lyrics at the best. And then pitch, rhythm and volume work best when they coalesce into a whole supporting the hook/message/content of the song. I've seen that so many times in comments on the user showcase where the music literally rises to the occasion. But also something not on this Berklee lecture is another aspect from the user showcase of where the mix supports the song so that drums and bass and riffs and licks and such all bring the high moments of the songs to the listeners' attention. It's one of the greatest values of the showcase for a lerner like me.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195