You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#389607 - 01/11/17 04:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] About Audiophile upgrades
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

Hi guys,

I just received the hard drive with the 2017 upgrade to my 2016 Audiophile version. Thank you. I'm very happy with it :-)

However, as I live in Europe, I had to pay 75 euros (almost 90 dollars) in customs fees and duties. That's a lot of money (for me at least). Especially because I'm paying for something I don't really need (the physical hard drive).

So, I was wondering ...

I understand that for 1st time Audiophile buyers it is necessary to receive the hard drive - the download would be too large.
But for Audiophile upgraders (those who already have a previous version of the Audiophile hard drive), why not allow a download only option?

The only thing that we would have to donwload would be the program folder and the new real tracks, NOT all the real tracks.
I know that the Everything pack, for example, has a download only option. My guess is that downloading the whole Everything pack with ALL the (compressed) tracks would be much larger that downloading just the new, uncompressed tracks for Audiophile users.
So, why not?
We would have several benefits:
- no delays in shipments
- no risk of receiving damaged hard drives
- faster (immediate) delivery
- no costum duties

Honestly, I would be happy to even pay a little more for a download option, as I would save money anyway because of the duties.

So ... why not?

Thank you for your attention.
And thank you for this great product and company.

#389614 - 01/11/17 05:54 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

In past years, I manually added the new RealTracks I wanted by copying from the new drive to my computer. It wasn't so large that a download would not work. This year, though, they re-recorded (remastered) some of the older tracks so the download would have been larger.

Still, your idea sounds reasonable to me.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#389627 - 01/11/17 07:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

Thank you Matt.
I think it's reasonable too, but of course maybe we're missing something that the PG folks know and we don't.
There would be several advantages, and it would make it more desirable to buy the product for overseas customers. A win-win.
And, quite honestly, saving 90 dollars or so per year ... multiplied by several years of "faithful" upgrades ... in the end, it becomes quite a significant saving! ... enough money for a new guitar, for example smile
(but don't tell my wife though ..)

Edited by Jon Thomas (01/11/17 07:04 AM)

#389696 - 01/11/17 04:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

I have a big pile of pg audiophile hard drives I don't know what to do with, one would be enough to just update with downloads each year.
The new Realtrack/Drums downloads for 2017 in wma were about 6.5gig, the wav files are are just over 10 x the size, so over 70gig download I would say.

#389772 - 01/12/17 03:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Pipeline]
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

Yes, and the Everything pack total download I think is quite larger than 70 gig (very rough estimate, but it seems to be that way).
So ... I don't know, it seems to me that if the download option is ok for the Everything pack, it should also be feasible for Audiophile upgrades.
As I said, there may be reasons why this is not possible, I don't know.
We'll see next year I guess. I'm sure PG folks are reading this. I'll remind them after the summer smile

#389808 - 01/12/17 07:12 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Jon, what would the customs impact be on a flash drive?
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#389857 - 01/12/17 11:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

I think it's a percentage of the value of the item, declared by the seller. I don't think it has to do with the weight or size of the item. So, I paid 75 euros for a value declared of about 260 dollars (I think, I dont have the receipt in front of me, but I think it's about right, as my purchase also included the xtra style pack). Actually, I think there was also a 10 euro administrative fee or something like that as well. So i guess in my case (Italy) the percentage is about 25% or so of the value, plus other fees, but I'm sure it varies with the country of destination.
As I said, not a very pleasant thing smile

Just one more thing.
Pipeline's estimate about the size of the new uncompressed real tracks is correct, however they could be downloaded in a zipped format, and that would certainly reduce the size of the download in half or even more. So, if I'm not wrong, the download for the Everything pack, as it is now, is probably double in size or so of what it would be the download size for the Audiophile upgrade.

Edited by Jon Thomas (01/12/17 11:20 AM)

#389866 - 01/12/17 11:42 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Unfortunately, Zip isn't going to get you 50% compression on audio files. There are some options in Zip, but whoever receives the file must have a version of WinZip/7Zip/etc capable of decoding those options. And Zip is really designed for general purpose, not audio-specific.

You would have to use a lossless CODEC instead - maybe FLAC or APE (Monkey's Audio), which are optimized for audio. But then, of course you would need the drive space to download the files, and then take the time and additional drive space to decompress them.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#389869 - 01/12/17 11:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: jford]
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

John
you're right about ZIP. But with FLAC you can get almost 50% of compression (lossless of course). Then you need to uncompress it, yes. I'd rather do that than spending 90 dollars every year smile

#389877 - 01/12/17 12:34 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Rar will compress wav files down a lot more that zip and rar is supposed to be lossless from what I have read.

#390056 - 01/13/17 09:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
jford Offline
Veteran

From the sites I took a look at (where folks have posted results), for the most part standard Zip might give you about 10-15% compression at most (although Zipx format could give you 30-ish%; RAR is up around 30-35%, but FLAC (which is optimized for compressing audio specifically) will generally give you 40-50% compression on WAV files. Your results, of course, will vary depending upon the size of the files and he content of the files.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#390083 - 01/13/17 10:58 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: jford]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

There's also http://www.wavpack.com/

I think moving to a lossless audio compression would be a good thing, the internals of the program would need to be change to work with the lossless formats, most of them will do multichannel so you could have your 5-10 or more Drum channels within the file, moving realdrums from stereo to multichannel.

WavPack is a completely open audio compression format providing lossless, high-quality lossy, and a unique hybrid compression mode. For version 5.0.0, several new file formats and lossless DSD audio compression were added, making WavPack a universal audio archiving solution.

In the default lossless mode WavPack acts just like a WinZip compressor for audio files. However, unlike MP3 or WMA encoding which can affect the sound quality, not a single bit of the original information is lost, so there's no chance of degradation. This makes lossless mode ideal for archiving audio material or any other situation where quality is paramount. The compression ratio depends on the source material, but generally is between 30% and 70%.

The hybrid mode provides all the advantages of lossless compression with an additional bonus. Instead of creating a single file, this mode creates both a relatively small, high-quality lossy file that can be used all by itself, and a "correction" file that (when combined with the lossy file) provides full lossless restoration. For some users this means never having to choose between lossless and lossy compression!

WavPack employs only well known, public domain techniques (i.e., linear prediction with LMS adaptation, Elias and Golomb codes) in its implementation. Methods and algorithms that have ever been patented (e.g., arithmetic coding, LZW compression) are specifically avoided. This ensures that WavPack encoders and decoders will remain open and royalty-free.

#390091 - 01/13/17 11:39 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

That's very interesting info. I had not heard of them.

Monkey's Audio was the most lossless compression for audio that I've seen, and it is 50% at best. If this can go higher, especially with no license costs, that's extraordinary.

#390352 - 01/14/17 12:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
+1

While it doesn't personally affect me I think the suggestion is well thought out and would directly benefit both PG Music and its international customer base. Definately worthy of consideration by PG Music's marketing and Sales teams.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#391055 - 01/18/17 08:18 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Loc: Iceland
I'm on the same boat as the OP, overseas and massive VAT are a big deterrents with any online purchases (which I guess in the case of my country at least is somewhat the whole point), so this is an easy +1
And like Pipeline, I've lost track of the number of external drives from PG I've been sent over the years and have no idea what to do with crazy

#391991 - 01/23/17 05:16 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: About Audiophile upgrades [Re: Jon Thomas]
Loc: Torino, ITALY
doctormidi Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Torino, ITALY
+1 for me being I from Italy!

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28447 Members
58 Forums
55271 Topics
460392 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
saxmanz, dewar, claytonkyra, Warren G, Raymond Carrasco

28446 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 359
Pipeline 335