Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#388621 01/05/17 06:03 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just for my own knowledge, would all of you who served in our military please pop in with your branch and years served, as well as any foreign service if you care to share that as well? I enjoy touching base with other vets.

Myself, I was in the Army from Oct 1970 through Oct 1973. I spent a tour and a half in Vietnam, winding things down as we prepared to hand the war over to the RVN forces. All the action was over by the time I got there, so I do not have war stories like some might. I was just a mechanic, them motor pool sgt who got/kept jeeps and trucks running, often scavenging or making our own parts. I can't even start to tell you how many exhaust systems had Schlitz beer cans welded to them to patch holes!! I served the balance of my time at Ft Sill in Oklahoma. Very ho-hum kind of duty that was kind of pointless to someone who had been overseas, but I figure the Army must have felt they needed me there because that's where they sent me! I can say with 100% certainty that those 10 months, not one North Vietnamese infiltrator made it past Tulsa!!

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/05/17 06:12 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

I served as a US Army Signal Corps officer from 1981 to 1987. I spent most of my time in service in Germany defending the Fulda Gap from the Russians, should they decide to invade Western Europe.

After coming back to the States and receiving some pretty good education from Uncle Sam, I worked on some cool IT projects in the Washington, DC area.

After getting out of the service, I have worked as a government contractor to both military and civilian government agencies (US Army, US Navy, NASA, FAA, and USCBP). I'm currently working to support the US Navy Education Training Command as an IT Project Manager.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
United States Marine Corps... early 70's, one enlistment.

I was in the service between Vietnam.... it was winding down, and the Middle East was just starting to get fired up.

I got out, used the GI Bill to go to school for a few years, and the rest as they say... is history.

It wasn't the kind of lifestyle I liked. I have a nephew who apparently loves it and everything about it.

In fact... this song.... Merry Christmas From Kandahar has his pictures from the start through the chorus..... the second verse has pictures from my childhood. Kris is on his second or third re-up planning on 20+.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Well...

I suppose I can take up some band width here and paraphrase my Military picnic.

-USMC Sept. 1965-June 1969
-13 months in the jungle from Feb '66-March '67. I was a month shy of my 20th birthday when I returned to CONUS.
-3 months after returning to CONUS from Vietnam my unit was told to pack up, you're being sent to participate in the Israeli 6 day war. As we are out on the tarmac with our weapons & 782 gear preparing to deploy (again) an announcement came down from a loud speaker system....'the war is over'.
We turned our gear back in being dumbfounded and quite elated at the quick turn of event.
-Remained at Camp Pendleton until December '67 then I was transferred to Guard Detachment Moffett Field. I remained there (having a top secret clearance) guarding the AUW compound (atomic under water weapons) until my discharge June 30, 1969.
-used GI bill for college as a geology/music major.

Guess I'll leave it there.
My respect to all that serve/have served honorably.

Back to topic...

(My user ID - chulaivet1966 - refers to Chu Lai Vietnam which was an air base on the central coast. I only passed through there heading north but I didn't want to create an ID to call attention to my experience as in look at me. I figured only those that were actually there as a Veteran would make the connection.)

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 01/06/17 09:24 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
US Air Force from Dec. 1970 to May 1976. Jobs included explosive ordinance disposal, ground liquid fuels systems maintenance and ground radio electronics. Assigned permanent duty bases included Lackland (TX), Chanute (IL), Charleston (SC), Biloxi (MS) and Reese (TX) in US and Ching Chuan Kang (CCK) in Taiwan. Temporary duty stations included Cannon (NM), McCord (WA), Yokota (Japan), Kadena (Okinawa), Danang (South Vietnam), Clark (Philippines), Tra Noc (South Vietnam), Korat (Thailand) and Osan (South Korea).

During all my travels throughout Southeast Asia I never set foot in Hawaii. After leaving the USAF, I found a job as a field engineer and visited 49 states but I've never made it to Hawaii.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You can all boo me now because I will play wet blanket but:

Not really a good idea, especially in a public forum, to be putting your clearances held or hold, other "tickets," who/where you contracted for, etc. and especially WHAT you may have worked on or when - 'nuf said. (even my snippet below is too much)

USAF 21 years, 11 enlisted (AFSC 301x1 aircraft avionics; later renumbered to 328x1) made E6 (TSgt) & 10 commissioned (AFSC 2685 scientific analyst; also later changed - 3281) retired as 0-3 (Capt.), no break in service.

FYI - Charlie - HAT TIP

Two tours S.E.A., (Taiwan - > RVN, Thailand, P.I.) separated by 10 months in CONUS (@ Hill AFB). Each tour with extensions totaling 5 years somewhere in S.E.A.

Retired May '90 and was (am sort of) slimy gov't contractor doing/supporting Ops Testing until a about four years ago. I'm "re"-retired now and only do "grey beard" consulting, on certain tasks, to certain test agencies, if I feel like it (and they don’t have their heads up a dark hole like 99% of the "Big Navy" test community) .

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/07/17 05:12 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
You can all boo me now because I will play wet blanket but:
Not really a good idea, especially in a public forum, to be putting your clearances held or hold, other "tickets," who/where you contracted for, etc. and especially WHAT you may have worked on or when - 'nuf said. (even my snippet below is too much) Larry

Hey Larry.....

I thought about what you state above and in general, in a current context, I would totally agree.
But....it's been 50 years and none of what I was involved with or what I was guarding back then even exists anymore.
Hence....I believe it is inconsequential now and I don't think your "snippet" is too much either.

Whew...21 years is quite the career.
"Scientific Analyst" does sounds like a sexy, interesting MOS. smile

Back to it....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
US Army- 11/60 - 4/69

5 years liberating German gasthauses and drinking fabulous German beer during Vietnam era.

Took advantage of several free USAFI educational courses including Industrial Electronics Technician; NCO Academy; Motor Sergeant School; and numerous self-improvement courses including Electronic Technician by correspondence at Cleveland Institute Of Electronics, which was free to active duty military.

Educational opportunities were abundant in the Army.

Donny

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don - GREAT!

I wonder how many G.I.'s took that correspondence course? Or the one I took, CREI (Capital Radio Engineering Institute) - they were rival mad "schools" LOL.

Funny thing was I was an electronics hobbyist as a kid and had almost a year of electronics tech school at Kessler AFB, can you say hurricane Camille? School got delayed in-progress IIRC around two months because they suspended all the schools and sent the student body out to help with community clean-up and perform minor anti-looting guard duty in Biloxi, Pascagoula, Gulf Port, and surrounding areas.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Your comment reminded me of our wonderful and treasured friend, Danny C, who says that he stood guard in Mississippi all through Vietnam. lol

I became fascinated by electronics in HS when a classmate and I gutted his dad's Halicrafter or Grundig SW Console to build a guitar amp. We used the ceramic phono cartridge as a guitar pickup. Everyone was happy except his dad, the local barber.

While stationed in Fort Hood, Texas, my neighbor got me hooked on Amateur Radio (HAM). Great memories. Also in Texas, I became friends with an Electronics Engineer and, together, we built a tape echo reverb.

I quickly combined my loves of music and Electronics and along with famed Dobro (R), player, Mike Auldridge, we co-designed the ultimate resonator guitar.

Donny

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 01/07/17 09:49 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I honor all of y'all's service very much. I drew a 307 draft lotto number in 1969 while in grad school. That number would likely have required the cong to invade the west coast for me to have been drafted. I was prepared to join the Navy prior to the lotto. Those were strange times.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
USAF Field Bands for 21 years. Texas, Calif., Hawaii, Ill., Hawaii again, Tachikawa AFB, Japan and last station Langley AFB, VA. Back in those days everyone in the band had a Top Secret clearance. Still playing around DC area.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mac was in USAF and he played in the band at the USAFA for a while, sure do miss him around here

Larry

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All so far are prior US military.

I wonder what other services have representatives here? I at least hope there are some Canadian or UK prior military here. There maybe others but I named them since English is the predominant language in this part of the forum.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Don, I am proud of Danny C for keeping Mississippi safe!!

I wanted to relate this story from my time in Vietnam. Our base camp had a theater area where we showed movies almost every night. One week they brought in a show performed by a band who was (I think) Samoan. They were actually pretty entertaining. When they took a break they invited us to come up if anybody played. Our Lt, Dan, went up to play guitar. There was a bass player and a drummer in our unit, and I stepped up to play the Farfisa organ. We actually made it through about a half dozen songs, several with fairly complex harmony, as CSNY was a hot band back then. I also remember Tull was big back then.

Anyway, the next week Dan had the idea that we should have the USO send us instruments and we could rehearse and learn a show and travel to the outer reaching areas to entertain. And they went for it!! We spent about 4 weeks getting ready, then 8 weeks driving around in a 2 1/2 ton truck all over Vietnam playing for the guys. Then sadly it was time to go back to work, but we had a ball doing it. We tried to do a second tour but 2 of the guys had rotated home.

I remember Dan loved singing La Bamba!! And that became our nickname for him. Lt La Bamba. LOL!!

And Bud, who did you know to get 307??? I was #7!! SEVEN!!!!

To all my veteran brothers, welcome home.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/07/17 10:40 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I played countless gigs at the German NCO Clubs, mostly informally when my buddies would intimidate the house band until they would yield the stage.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

And Bud, who did you know to get 307??? I was #7!! SEVEN!!!!

To all my veteran brothers, welcome home.

Other than meeting my wife I guess it was one of my luckier moments. My best friend didn't come home - helicopter pilot. Helluva note to have a lotto for what could be your life. Everyone should've done two years national service even if they weren't needed for the armed services.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Everyone should've done two years national service even if they weren't needed for the armed services.

I agree 100%. Some of the street level criminals might have grown up and learned some respect and values had they served 2 years in an organized lifestyle where the discipline is built in.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
USMC: 1976-06-18 through 1997-04-30 Retired MSgt. (E8).
Went places, did stuff and had a grand ole time.

Band-in-a-Box PlusPAK Upgrade (2018) on Windows 10
Live instruments: Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Fender Mustang III v2.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BigSugarHopkins
USMC: 1976-06-18 through 1997-04-30 Retired MSgt. (E8).
Went places, did stuff and had a grand ole time.

E-8! Way cool. For non military, E-8 is a military pay grade where the "E" stands for enlisted and "8" is the rank from 1 to 9 with 9 the highest enlisted grade. More about pay grades ++ HERE ++

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,559
Posts734,400
Members38,490
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE, Nancy Gochnauer, Frank G
38,489 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184