Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hello, folks...

A BIAB user named Floyd Jane directed me to this forum to seek input, feedback, advice, what-have-you, on the posted subject, "Mixing and panning", based on his response to my request for help concerning those two particular production elements as they are heard in my song, "How Do You Know (When Someone Loves You?)".

Here is the link to the webpage the song was posted onto:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1321235&content=music.

I was not entirely satisfied with the mix I created that involved a vocal track and the following instruments: acoustic bass, drums, piano, slow strings, tremolo strings, and a steel guitar, all of them virtual instruments.

Simply put, I experienced some frustration attempting to get the instruments' volumes high enough without "clipping", or losing volume because of subsequent volume corrections I made. Panning seemed to complicate things because it seemed that steering the instruments right or left caused them to lose something -- body, or fullness, is the only way I could describe it -- so that, to my ears, ultimately, everything seemed to be clashing. What I mean is, I felt that none of the instruments were truly "balanced" in relation to the other.

Mr. Jane suggested that I indicate the DAW I used, which is Cakewalk Sonar. I'm grateful to him for his well-considered feedback, and I would be equally grateful to anyone who feels like pitching in their "two cents."

Thank you for reading this!

Most sincerely and respectfully,

"bluage"

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
Veteran
Veteran
Comments like this are always personal so take with a grain of salt ..

FWIW, nice job.
To me the main piano doing all the fills is too forward. It's busy; that alone will make it heard.
Also I think you could cut some low end on the rhythm sound off to the side, which will allow you to boost them a tiny bit to accommodate and also free sonic space for the bass to let it be clearer and more defined.

Then Ozone it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Greetings!

Nice job creating the song tracks. It is a very interesting song to listen to. I do not have much music production experience but enjoy active listening. So my thoughts may provide more ideas than techniques.

I do not have any idea how you approached mixing the song but I would have approached the song as a mono mix. I would have worked on separating the tracks by arrangement and frequency. Arrangement by having different backing instruments silent while others perform fills so two instruments don't try to exist in the same aural space at the same time. Frequency by letting each instrument reside mostly within a frequency range then subtract frequencies outside the instrument range. Both tasks complement the other and minimize the potential for things to clash. Visualize all the instruments (including the vocalist) stacked one on top of the other; bass drum and bass on the bottom, cymbals at the top and everything else in between. When one instrument is removed from the pile (even for a few beats)replace it with another instrument.

A really good way to approach this is to set all tracks at 0dbFS and your main output at a comfortable listening level then pull all track faders down. Raise one fader until you can just barely hear the track. Set an equalizer for narrow frequency (high Q), high gain and sweep across the frequency band to identify the frequency range of what you heard and thus what frequency range is most important for that track. That frequency range belongs to that track! Reset the EQ to normal then start subtractive EQ to remove all the frequencies that are not important to the track. When you've removed as much frequencies as you can set the track volume level to 0dbFS. Repeat with the next track.

Once you've finished with all tracks, you should have a static mono mix with all track faders set at 0dbFS, none of the tracks should clash with the others and the overall volume level of the mix should be pleasing. Also realize getting to this point is most likely 90 - 95 percent of the work in mixing.

Now you can pan the tracks however you want and they should not clash! Use delay and effects to add interest. If you have a track panned 50 percent right then you can place an effect or delay using the same frequency space 50 percent left for interest. As you add effects you will need to watch your output volume level since the additional material will add gain.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
It sounds to me like there's some white noise in there too. Like the noise floor is kinda high, or perhaps a bit of smooth distortion. Then, towards the end, I realized that it could have been the tremolo strings being low in the mix.

The mix sounded good to me on my speakers with the exception of the strings being a bit too loud in the middle section. I would have liked to hear the voice a bit crisper too. It sounded a bit too far back in the mix.

Regarding panning, I didn't listen on speaker that are wide apart or cans so I can't point out issues other than to say with jazz, I like to keep most things centered or no further than 20% panned but always have something else on the other side the same distance to balance the mix and give it a feeling of sonic space.

Not a "bad" mix, but a few tweeks would make it better.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

A really good way to approach this is to set all tracks at 0dbFS and your main output at a comfortable listening level then pull all track faders down. Raise one fader until you can just barely hear the track. Set an equalizer for narrow frequency (high Q), high gain and sweep across the frequency band to identify the frequency range of what you heard and thus what frequency range is most important for that track. That frequency range belongs to that track! Reset the EQ to normal then start subtractive EQ to remove all the frequencies that are not important to the track. When you've removed as much frequencies as you can set the track volume level to 0dbFS. Repeat with the next track.

Great tip and you've explained it so concisely, definitely saving this one to pass on!

Will - PG Music
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Dear "rharv"...

I apologize for the delay responding!

I have two jobs that end in the late evening.

I'll return around six or seven o'clock, O.K.?

Thank you for your patience and your kind assistance!

Sincerely,

"bluage"

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Dear "Jim Fogle"...

Sincerely,

"bluage"

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hello, "guitarhacker"...

Sincerely,

"bluage"

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Dear "WIll B"...

Sincerely,

"bluage"

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hello, again, "rharv"...

Honestly, I believe "personal" comments are most welcome, to me at least, because I believe they reflect a listener's true involvement in what they heard, so the "grain of salt" should add some good seasoning!

As I've mentioned in all of my responses to the advice I've received as a result of my post, I am practically ignorant of most of the terms used, so I've got my work cut out for me. I'm not a technically-minded person when it comes to music, but I do understand how helpful it would be to learn more about it. It's probably no more difficult that studying music theory, which I've been concentrating almost exclusively for a long while.

If I ever post any more songs to any of the forums on BIAB, I'm going indicate what I've learned about music production so folks like you will know that I've taken your advice seriously.

"rharv", thank you, man, for your generous attention and feedback!

Sincerely,

"bluage"

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi, "Will B"...

I agree with you that Mr. Fogle's tip is quite concise and "to the point." I've never used an equalizer before, but I figure that my DAW, Calkwalk Sonar, has one, or I hope it has one.

Thanks for citing Mr. Fogle's contribution!

Sincerely,

"bluage"

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Mr. Fogle...

I was inspired by the clarity of your advice/instructions in your response to my post. That was mostly because you mentioned faders, which are the only controls in my DAW that I've ever touched/used to mix tracks, and only to adjust their volume, so that's a good start.

I'll have to check and see if the "equalizer" you mentioned is included with my DAW, Cakewalk Sonar, but I am anxious to try this "sweeping" technique you explained so clearly.

You're good teacher, sir, and I should know, 'cause both of my parents were teachers, and of the kind that, when I came home from school and told them I didn't have any homework to do, they'd look down at me with one of those tight "gotcha!" grins, raise their eyebrows and respond, "Oh, re-e-eally? Well, partner, you're sure about to get some!"

I'm glad you enjoyed listening to the song. Thanks, teach'!

Sincerely,

"bluage"

Last edited by bluage; 01/31/17 11:56 PM.

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Dear "guitarhacker"...

You know, I always thought a "noise floor" was what I got from my neighbors living in the apartment beneath mine... jes' kiddin! smirk

Seriously, though, I understood your observation on panning percentages since my DAW indicates those numbers graphically.

Regarding your perception of the vocal track sounding "a bit too far back in the mix," I received that track as a separate *.wav file from the vocalist, Ms. Courtney Grace, so I'll play with that and see what happens...

You mentioned "cans." Would it be correct for me assume that you were referring to a type of speaker?

I understand (I think) what you were describing when you used the term "white noise" in reference to the tremolo strings. Is that the same thing as "artifacts?" Regardless, it could have been the result of me time-stretching that track near the end to extend the amount of time it would take to fade it out to my satisfaction.

For someone as busy making music as your voluminous posts seem to indicate, I am humbled by the fact that you took the time out of your day/life/schedule to listen to the song and respond to my request for help. I mean that, "guitarhacker"! Straight, no chaser. Cross muh heart an' hope t' die. Well, maybe not just right this moment... laugh

Thank you, sir!

Sincerely, respectfully, and whatever else would apply,

"bluage"

Veteran
Veteran
Bluage,

You'll find many forum members here also use Sonar products and are members of Cakewalk's forum. If you've never checked out Cakewalk's forum you can by clicking on ++ THIS ++ link.

Every DAW has an equalizer. Most versions of Sonar includes a six band equalizer like the one below. An easy way to find it is to click on a track to select the track, look at the track inspector on the far left side of the screen and look for the EQ symbol near the top of the inspector. If you don't see anything that says EQ, click on the display at the bottom of the inspector and select EQ to turn on display of the EQ feature.

The photo below shows I am inspecting a kick track. I've changed the defaults to turn off bands 2 - 6. I've set band 1 for high gain (18 db) and a narrow Q (24). The more narrow the Q, the less frequencies get changed. I have the song playing, the kick track on solo and the track gain (volume) set low so I can barely hear it. When I move the band 1 circle from left to right I am sweeping the frequencies. When I reach the main frequency of the track, 154 Hz in this instance, the sound will get much louder.

The EQ has a help button which opens a file that explains each EQ function in great detail. Check out Sonar Help for tutorial articles, song projects and videos.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
EQ.jpg (49.05 KB, 178 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear "guitarhacker"...

Regarding your perception of the vocal track sounding "a bit too far back in the mix," I received that track as a separate *.wav file from the vocalist, Ms. Courtney Grace, so I'll play with that and see what happens...

You mentioned "cans." Would it be correct for me assume that you were referring to a type of speaker?

I understand (I think) what you were describing when you used the term "white noise" in reference to the tremolo strings. Is that the same thing as "artifacts?" Regardless, it could have been the result of me time-stretching that track near the end to extend the amount of time it would take to fade it out to my satisfaction.

Lets hit the easy ones first: Cans are slang for headphones.

White noise is what you hear as static on the radio. In this case, it was very low in the mix. But like I said, it was probably caused by the tremolo string section and wasn't noise at all. I've had some weird things happen in my mixes through the years. When I hear something, I reset my timeline to just before that point and go through each track, one by one to see if I hear something in any of the tracks. Sometimes I find the glitch and sometimes I find nothing. When I come up empty handed, I start adding tracks one by one until the issue reappears. More than once, I have found the interaction of events in 2 tracks combined to cause what sounded like a glitch. The solution is simple.... simply use the volume envelope to pull one of those tracks down briefly to get past that glitch point. How this applies to your mix is to listen to that tremolo track closely and see if it is causing the issue..... assuming that you can hear the issue I spoke of and think it's a problem. Quite often when I point out things in songs the originator of said track/project replies that they either don't hear it or intended to make it that way, so I defer to your preferences on this call.

I have worked with a number of tracks sent by other folks. I had no control over how they were recorded. I applied the things I needed, to those tracks to get them sounding good and then put them in the mix.

The vocal to COME AND GO (on my music page) was sent from another studio and was recorded well.
There's another song on my music page called IN A WORLD WITHOUT YOU. The lead vocal track to that song came to me as an MP3 file which was recorded in a home studio demo session. I was never able to get the wave so what you hear is the original MP3. I worked on it a bit with some of my audio tools because it had issues with noise and other things and had to go with what I had.

All that to say, you should be able to get practically any track to set well in a mix. It's a matter of getting the vocal track volume up if it was low and weak when you got it. Using some mild compression, and then normalizing the file will help in that regard if it was weak with low internal levels. When doing that, yo have to be careful because this is where noise floor comes into play. When you compress and normalize, you are raising ALL the things in the track including the noise at the very bottom. So while you get a stronger track, you might now have noise issues.... mic hiss, and other things that you don't want at audible levels. You can gate it or edit it but it's best to avoid it where possible. That's why it's always good to have solid, strong input levels from your audio sources. Signal to noise ratios matter, but with digital, you should be good under most circumstances. (that topic could be it's own thread)

Next is to get the volume in the mix set appropriately for the genre. Country, for example, tends to put vocals closer to the front as opposed to rock, where the vox may actually be quite far back and covered up to some degree by the instruments. Making the vocal fit into the mix naturally involves matching the reverb kind to the band. I often record all my tracks totally dry (exception is guitar) and applying the reverb in the master buss. That puts the same kind and level of verb on the entire mix. Nothing stands out like a band that has a wet reverb and the singer's vox is a small room dry. Levels and reverb are the largest factors in getting tracks to set properly. That doesn't mean EQ doesn't play a part, because it does, but not as critically as the first 2 do.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Bluage,

You'll find many forum members here also use Sonar products and are members of Cakewalk's forum. If you've never checked out Cakewalk's forum you can by clicking on ++ THIS ++ link.

Every DAW has an equalizer. Most versions of Sonar includes a six band equalizer like the one below. An easy way to find it is to click on a track to select the track, look at the track inspector on the far left side of the screen and look for the EQ symbol near the top of the inspector. If you don't see anything that says EQ, click on the display at the bottom of the inspector and select EQ to turn on display of the EQ feature.

The photo below shows I am inspecting a kick track. I've changed the defaults to turn off bands 2 - 6. I've set band 1 for high gain (18 db) and a narrow Q (24). The more narrow the Q, the less frequencies get changed. I have the song playing, the kick track on solo and the track gain (volume) set low so I can barely hear it. When I move the band 1 circle from left to right I am sweeping the frequencies. When I reach the main frequency of the track, 154 Hz in this instance, the sound will get much louder.

The EQ has a help button which opens a file that explains each EQ function in great detail. Check out Sonar Help for tutorial articles, song projects and videos.

Jim, MEqualizer by Melda Production has an Analyzer silhouette that will show you right where that freq is without the sweep/listen technique. And the band width is adjustable with a drag bar. It's free and stable for me in Reaper. I also use Sonar's plugins in Reaper along with a bunch of others.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tobias
Jim, MEqualizer by Melda Production has an Analyzer silhouette that will show you right where that freq is without the sweep/listen technique. And the band width is adjustable with a drag bar. It's free and stable for me in Reaper. I also use Sonar's plugins in Reaper along with a bunch of others.

Thanks for sharing the information Tobias. Melda Production has an impressive lineup of both free and for sell effects. I am including a link to MEqualizer ++ HERE ++ for those that might want more information about the product.

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hello, again, "guitarhacker"...

I hope you (and the rest of the respondents) will forgive the delay in responding to you. I work two jobs that consume a great of time: managing rental properties (which is an on-call, 24/7 type of gig), and as a volunteer stage manager at a local ballet school.

Any old way, I'm going to follow-up with you on the things you mentioned that I have some kind of experience with and readily understand

First of all, thanks for explaining what "cans" are.

Next, your statement: "When you compress and normalize, you are raising ALL the things in the track including the noise at the very bottom. So while you get a stronger track, you might now have noise issues.... mic hiss, and other things that you don't want at audible levels."

That's very useful information! I suspect I've damaged many audio tracks in the past by using that function.

Next, "More than once, I have found the interaction of events in 2 tracks combined to cause what sounded like a glitch. The solution is simple.... simply use the volume envelope to pull one of those tracks down briefly to get past that glitch point."

Okay, that's pretty straightforward. Got it.

Up next: "Next is to get the volume in the mix set appropriately for the genre."

I suppose that within that suggestion you are including vocals as part of "the mix." I've never been present at a recording session, never been in a recording studio, even. In the song I posted the vocal was recorded by the singer. 99% percent of the time when I "mix" a song it has only virtual instrument tracks.

Nonetheless, your advice concerning genre considerations is sensible. If I think about what I've heard when listening to various kinds of music, I believe I could say that I've noticed in casual way the placement of vocals. Some seem closer, others less so; some are louder, others softer, dryer or wetter, and so on.

Finally, "Levels and reverb are the largest factors in getting tracks to set properly."

Hah! Those two functions are probably the only ones I've used with any frequency throughout my entire experience of composing and mixing songs.

Because of my stone-cold ignorance of some terms you use, such as "gate," "master buss," "normalize," "band," and more, I realized that I'd be wasting your time discussing them with you. So, over the weekend I went out to a used bookstore and picked up a copy of The Billboard Illustrated Home Recording Handbook. Paging through the index at the back of the book I saw entries for most of the above-mentioned terms. It's got a bunch of pictures in it relative to the concept(s) explored in each chapter, so it should be helpful.

"guitarhacker," I'm gonna rate you high as a teacher as well as a performing musician! Thank you, again, for your obvious committment to these forums.

Sincerely,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
"guitarhacker"..

I forgot to mention that I will go to your site to sample the songs you directed me to.

I'll be happy to get to back to you after I've listened to them!

Thanks, again,

LOREN

B
bluage Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Mr. Fogle...

As I offered to "guitarhacker," I hope you'll accept my sincerest apology for responding to you so late.

I wanted to show you that I located the equalizer in Cakewalk Sonar X1 Producer, but I don't know how to post images here.

Would you tell me how to do that?

Thank you for your continued help, and patience, Mr. Fogle.

Sincerely,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,031
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186