Go To
Songwriting
R
Reaktor Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I'd like to try out something here - Let's talk about YOUR musical influences.

As the subject is very broad, I try to give some idea for what I'm after:
I love discovering new music, but also discovering new things I should be listening within songs, be it a radio-pop-song or symphonic orchestra playing some small phrase within 60-minute long concert. I'd like to hear Your favorite moments with songs you have chosen, and why those small moments or whole songs affect your music so much as an composer/arranger (try to point out what makes it so special or what listener should listen for). If you can, give some insights to how the part/song is structured and works like it does (educate us!)

I guess it would be preferable to throw either Spotify or Youtube links with specific time already marked (right click Youtube video and use "copy video URL at current time"). It might be best not to put embedded Youtube videos, as it probably breaks structure of your message / list.

So here is my selection in no specific order, which is heavy influenced by "larger-than-life moods" (... well, soundtrack genre...):

---

Ed Sheeran - I See Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fngvQS_PmQ

One of the best folk ballads around. It has very nice voicings and it became my first piano song which I studied very carefully in order to understand what makes it to sound like it does. I'v made an Youtube video for beginners, in which I explain how to voice this for piano ( https://youtu.be/wR74Cfrht88?t=42 )

---

Alan Wake - Deerfest
https://youtu.be/Ax__pmu1xBQ?t=139

Petri Alanko is one of my favorite composers and his Alan Wake soundtrack was big influence for me to get into soundtrack -genre. This short intercept is one of me most unique chord progressions in all it's simplicity. I'v discussed about this chord progression within VI Forum and it's power seems to come from altering major/minors and resolving sustains. Transcript of this particular part can be downloaded as PDF from here http://vi-control.net/community/attachments/petri-alanko-alan-wake-deerfest-pdf.4064/ (thanks to great community of VI Control, who helped to transcribe it for me).

---

Panu Aaltio - Water Cycle (01:05 -> to the end)
https://open.spotify.com/track/4Ui1hUa0ciicslprdwP5a6

Panu Aaltio is one of those names who are rising within film industry. He has roots within computer music (under alias "Firestorm" back in 2000) and he made soundtrack for Finnish documentary "Tale Of The Lake" (which is nature documentary about water & lakes). When I heard this song playing on movie theater right before the ending credits I almost cried. Very powerful arrangement. I guess the percussions here play out big part, but it's about the overall tone and mixture of different instruments.

---

Chance Thomas - Lord Of The Rings Online - Legacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGV5j1mHrMo
I rarely get excited over video game soundtracks as much as I'v been over whole "Lord Of The Rings Online - Riders Of The Rohan" -soundtrack by Chance Thomas. In my opinion it's orchestration is masterpiece, and you can hear how the song flows and blends between themes. Whole album is full of this kind of masterful themes and moods with wide range of instruments.

---

Moonsorrow, a Finnish black metal band, is absolutely the biggest influence of everything I do musically! No kidding! I love all the kinds of band and genres, be it George Strait -country or John Williams symphony, but the biggest influence really has been a black metal band.

Strangely enough, Moonsorrow opened my mind and how I perceive music. It thought me to *listen* music much more closely and keep even more open minded, even as I had been listening for metal bands for over 15 years before.

The mastermind behind Moonsorrow, composer/keyboardist Henri Sorvali, is one of the most talented composers I know. He works at Rovio (The Angry Birds -company), is multi-genre-talent, and according to Wikipedia idolizes Frank Zappa, Danny Elfman ja Jeremy Soule smile

I know not many users within this forum can even stand this kind of non-musical "rubbish". It's hard to understand what the musical idea is, as you are probably getting stuck within its aggressiveness and groaning singing style... still, I have introduced this band for many who dislike this kind of music, and ultimately quite a few have been amazed how they have grown over these few songs I have made 'em to listen.

Unlike one might initially think, Moonsorrow doesn't sing about devil worship -- it's lyrics are historic tales influenced by Finnish folklore... and no, that S -letter within their logo isn't Nazi-symbol either (yeah, the press already tried to make headlines over this subject last year).

Hearing the intro of "Huuto" ("The yell" or "The shout") for the first time was one of the biggest moments for me. No matter if you like or dislike rest of the song, I hope you get my point about the intro... I also had to choose Ruttolehto, as it also has very powerful melody within both intro and recurring theme. Also both songs are long, over 15 minutes, but have very masterfully crafted structures with recurring and altering themes, which leads to hypnotic feeling while listening (but this of course requires multiple listens, as you need to get familiar with songs)...

Moonsorrow - Huuto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRg8Tg-oM_A ( Intro )

Moonsorrow - Ruttolehto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcuusxiIWrc ( Intro )
https://youtu.be/CcuusxiIWrc?t=345 ( Recurring theme, which leads to instrumental C-part at around 6:55)

btw: I love the comment someone gave to "Ruttolehto" on Youtube: "Who else likes the part from 0:00 to 15:22?" laugh

---

Opeth - Windowpane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEaf9LqIUZQ

Opeth - Hope leaves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anuzo1_KSY8

Opeth has been second most influencial band for me. Even though being death metal band, their jazz influenced ballads are amazing ("windowpane", "hope leaves" etc). I spent three years just learning to play these songs with guitar. You should listen for chord voicings, especially the bass lines, and how the melody of singing builds over those voicings.

---

Porcupine Tree - Trains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHwkfhwjsk

As an honorary mention, Trains has been one of the most influencial tracks for me. It has very clever backbeat and open chord voicings with guitar, which make that repeating chord structure to float for whole track. There are many great live versions of "Trains" available within Youtube and you should check 'em out.

Please share what you think of my choices - feel free to tell if you you discovered something new, ask if you'd like to know something more, or simply tell if you didn't like choices at all! Also, please share your song picks, and feel free to throw anything, be it "Gangnam Style" or dixieland jazz!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Since my musical interests are widely diverse... from Country, old and new, to hard rock like AC/DC to ZZ TOP, to jazz, to pop, to old soul..... man... where do I start?

For now, I'll sand bag it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
David Gilmore of Pink Floyd on his Comfortably Numb Solo ("Pulse" live version). That whole solo is so inspiring. It builds up dynamically slowly and ends up in a wave like guitar tremolo usage. It`s really like surfing on a wave of melancholy.
And even though I never use the whammy bar on my guitar, it inspired me to explore new techniques and sounds in regard to achieving special kind of moods.

Sandra

"GuitarVersum" YouTube Channel: Jazz Chord Melody Tutorials
Jazz Guitar Lessons | Jazz Guitar Gear Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkT05N04ICdHgmDZrGYz-5A

Lesson Shop:
https://guitarversum.com/shop

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sandra Sherman
David Gilmore of Pink Floyd on his Comfortably Numb Solo ("Pulse" live version). That whole solo is so inspiring. It builds up dynamically slowly and ends up in a wave like guitar tremolo usage. It`s really like surfing on a wave of melancholy.
And even though I never use the whammy bar on my guitar, it inspired me to explore new techniques and sounds in regard to achieving special kind of moods.

Sandra

That's fantastic that you are exploring! I've always believed it's "fair game" to use any tool to try to express and relate an emotion musically.

I think a lot of people stop short because they hear someone overuse a device, not to relate but more of a "look at me" kind of thing.

You, I believe, are on the right path!

And I agree, that is a cool solo!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,480
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195