Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
O
OP Offline
O
HELP!

I play '50's jazz standards. "Nearness of You", "Old Cape Cod", "Misty."
I have beautiful sounds produced in a digitec looper fr a Fender Twin 15 Amp.

I cannot produce this TubeAmpSound in the Windows Bin-a-Box going into a Bose LT! tower amp. Missing the upright Tube Amp Bass and Guitar background sound for my jazz.

Question: Anyone out there knows of a plugin for the BIB to get this TubeAmpSound thru a Bose?

Mahalo fr Honolulu

Veteran
Veteran
Good luck trying to replicate a tube amp jazz sound with a digital plugin amp sim.

Using anything other than the original Fender Twin 15 amp will likely lead to disappointing results. (I noticed that you said it was a looper that gave you this tone. So you're not actually using a real tube amp that this point? Is that a looper or an amp modeler?)

That said, you can use an amp sim plugin to get a nice clean jazz sound, but it just won't be like the Fender Twin.

Your best bet is to record the Twin with a good condenser mic and use BB to create your backing tracks and then lay your live guitar recorded with a mic over the BB tracks in a DAW.

I have several sims and don't use any of them for recording. I prefer the hardware solution of either the POD2 modeler direct or my Mesa Boogie Studio 22 mic'd live.

Hope this helps you a bit.... good luck chasing that elusive tone.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/02/17 03:40 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
"Question: Anyone out there knows of a plugin for the BIB to get this TubeAmpSound thru a Bose?"

I've never heard any guitar, acoustic or electric, that sounds decent through a Bose. laugh

That aside, you can just mic your tube amp and run it through the Bose. There is no substitute for a set of hot tubes! grin

Mahalo

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

I've never heard any guitar, acoustic or electric, that sounds decent through a Bose. laugh

Bob

Harsh... but fair.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
first a side track:

I'm a tube snob - but if I EVER started gigging again, jazz or rock/blues, I'd never, ever, haul around a tube amp again [unless I was in a STADIUM and/or needed a back line in a 30 seat bar/club!]

I LOVE my Juke 1210, but it is a back breaking BEAST, and that's just moving it around the HOUSE. Even my Roland Cube (albeit, an 80) is not light! And my other amps are also tube amps and most are anything but "lite-weights."

If I were gigging and needed that tube sound (and yes I DO MEAN JAZZ clean TUBE sound) I'd be looking at the Quilters.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/

LIGHT WEIGHT, and they do DO the CLEAN sound like you would not believe (I've actually played these in my local shop and LOVE 'em)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjXBLlFn38 (8" model) AND he uses BIAB in this video (SEE ~ 15MIN into the vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq1gBJ7gne4 (10" model)

you really ought to hear the 12" model!

I REALLY want to pull trigger on one of those Micro Pro's or better yet the 4 lb, 200watt Tone Block 201 head (I'd use it in my rack - direct, sans speakers). Note, both the Micro Pro's and the Tone Blocks (and most of the Quilter line) have Direct outs!

All those Quilters will do CLEAN jazz as easy as as dirt or typical rock, blues, and heavier stuff.

Back on topic,

As to plug-ins - JUST MY OPINION:

This is NOT a free solution: you WILL NEED to spend some money but if you have a good sound card (CLEAN, noise free) and PC try IK Multimedia's Amplitube 4 WITH the Fender Collection (it has a excellent '65 Twin), not the Fender 2 collection.

BUT then you need to "match" it up (i.e., "play with") Amplitube's Fender collection's various cab's, mic's & placement's so it sounds right when it IS PLAYED back through whatever live speakers/PA you do use (getting it to sound spot on "in the box" (inside PC) is pointless - if the speaker/PA you play it through colors the hell out of it, rolls off the bass and highs, etc.)

This is not a "click on a plug-in" and you are done - you need to put in the work to tweak it, and again it's not free

BUT YOU CAN TRY any of these amps, cabs, etc. for free for 72 hours through IK's Custom Shop, it won't cost you anything but time to try.

You WILL need to sign up for an account, if you do not already have one, and install the free Amplitube & Custom Shop software and get it registered first (yes, it is all free)

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/

Good Luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Man, I want one of those Microblock 45's! cry

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Larry, you beat me to an Amplitube suggestion. Biab used to come with a free version of Amplitube 3, maybe it still does, don't know, but it is still available to DL. In the free version is an amp called Ambience SR. This is modeled after a Fender amp but it is not as versatile as the Fender Collection you mentioned. With a little tweaking and cabinet changes he just might get close to the sound he is attempting. No amp emulation is exactly like the original but some do come very close. Virtually all of my guitar sounds come from an amp simulation, mostly from Amplitube.

FWIW - I have been using a solid state amp for jazz and all other genres since around 1975. Solid state amps were a lot lighter then tube amps, but as noted they do sound different. I personally like the ultra clean sound while many other guitarist like the tube distortion. It is just a personal preference.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
O
OP Offline
O
This sounds like an interesting possibility.
What I'm trying to do is to tweak the sound coming out of windows BIB into the Bose.
And TO MAKE IT SOUND LIKE THE TUBE AMP SOUND OF A '65 FENDER 15.

Digitec looper picked up the sound nice. The Fender is probably around 80 pounds and
too heavy to move to a gig. Also only unidirectional sound.

Will look into that AmpTube site.

Thanks.
OldManJazz

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for your response.
Will try to phone them on Mon.
OldManJazz

Veteran
Veteran
First, you REALLY want to move this thread to the "Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production" forum or the "BIAB" forum for this discussion. I was going to mention that last night but forgot - some knowledgeable folks might not see it here.

I'm no expert on using RT's, especially with Amplitube (I use Amplitude for MY guitar if I'm working only "in the box") but you are probably going to want to replace BIAB song RT's with DI only RT's.

There are other folks here that read those other forums more routinely and know a thing or two about using DI RT's (direct input RT's - i.e., no FX on the RT's because you will be ADDING your OWN FX, cab, EQ, via amplitube).

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=379706&site_id=1

====
PS who are you calling Mon?

If you mean IK - the download/acquisition of the free Amplitube Custom shop, account creation, and and registration is all done on- line at IK Multimedia anyway (same link I gave above)

And BTW:

BIAB 2017 still comes with the older version 3 of Amplitube (but would still work) but why. I'd go to IK site (again supplied link) and get current free AT 4 Custom Shop.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 03/04/17 12:07 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

And BTW:

BIAB 2017 still comes with the older version 3 of Amplitube (but would still work) but why. I'd go to IK site (again supplied link) and get current free AT 4 Custom Shop.

If I were him I would use the included free Amplitube 3 for a couple of reasons. One to see if he likes it and two the free Amplitube 4 only works in stand-a-lone and not as a VSTi. Here is a quote from IK Multimedia site:

"And AmpliTube Custom Shop isn't just a shop, it also works as a standalone app for Mac and PC. With it, you can create your own custom guitar and bass rigs just like in the full version of AmpliTube 4. Think of it as an easy way to step into the vast and powerful world of AmpliTube processing and recording."

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Live and learn so: DO WHAT MArioD said, use the free AT3 that comes with BIAB

During full BIAB install around the fifth window you get to decided to install Amplitube and the IK authorization manger (see pic),

BTW it's already CHECKED by default to install so you probably already installed it. BUT you may or may not have may already authorized it.

Good Luck
Larry

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB install with AT3.jpg (52.92 KB, 39 downloads)

O
OP Offline
O
BiB already installed, maybe 8 months ago.
BiB amplitube install does not work. Called them 3 times.

They are not helping.

So far I should install the AT3. Got that.

Skip the AT1?

Anyway we can talk. Lots of hardware on the Bass and Guitar site.
confused.

IK does not answer. Hate it when there are no bodies that answer the phone.

Thanks.

O
OP Offline
O
I'll work on that. AT4 download.

What is this about "go to the BIB part of the Forum."
How do I do that.

I need to TALK to someone.
Lots of equip on that site. Need to talk to someone who tested a few of these things.

Frustrating.
Going walking.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Oldmanjazz, I hope you had a good walk and have calmed down a bit wink

Trust me all have been there and done that. No one starts out knowing all that there is to know.

Yes skip the AT4. Why? Because it only works in stand-a-lone mode. That means only that program can be running thus it will not work in conjunction with BiaB.

AT3 works both in stand-a-lone mode and as a VST. That means you can run it by its self or you can incorporate it within BiaB. Thus you can have a guitar, bass, or any other instrument for that matter, RT or MIDI playing in BiaB with BiaB sending that track to AT3. AT3 will send the track to your soundcard: soundcard is a common name for an audio interface. With a stand-a-lone program like AT4 you must save/export the audio track to file on your computer. Open AT4 and run the audio track through it then save the AT4 modified file and import it back into BiaB. The process is the same for both BiaB and Realband.

What is the advantage of VST mode? Lets say you have recorded your guitar into BiaB or RB. You can add AT3 as a VST effect. Now you can pick an amp with any number of effects. Don't like the amp then just change it. Want to add or delete an effect or two then just do it. Nothing is printed/saved to a wav until you tell it to be saved. I do this all the time in Sonar.

Note that all the above AT4 talk was with the free version. The full version of AT4 contains both the stand-a-lone and VST versions. It is just the free version that is handicapped that way.

If you need help feel free to ask.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,734
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194