Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Let me explain.

I use a Samson MPL 1202 for my duo.

One just broke. The nearest place where I can get this repaired is about $40-50 worth of gas and an $85 minimum service charge. Plus to get it back is another $40 worth of gas after repair.

Not to mention the time driving.

I can buy a used one on EBay for that.

So it stands to reason that I should save time and order a used one.

On the other hand, it's a ecological waste. And if we all did that, pretty soon there would eventually be no more units left to repair.

I'd gladly ship it to a repair person for the price of shipping, but I don't know how to find one.

Does anybody here know?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
I think I misunderstood your remarks and sent you a PM on a top notch repair tech. I'm not so sure he's interested in the unit for salvage, I thought you were looking for someone who could repair and get your unit back working like new to keep as a backup.

Either way, you can use his contact info to see if he's interested in yours for salvage.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I can't help, and this is academic only, but is it a Samson MPL 1202 or a 1204?

The reason I ask is that I don't know the Samson MPL 1202 model.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
If it's broke and you can buy a used working one to replace it for less than the repair costs...... buy the used one and just get rid of the broken on at a recycling center.

This is the case for so much of our electronics these days. They are built to be disposable. Cell phones, TV's, music players, all cheaper to by a new one than to fix the old in many cases.

The only time I would consider a repair would be if the gear was really top quality stuff, vintage, and in really good condition aside from what caused it to not work. Old vintage tube amps come to mind.

You said you had a guy who could fix it but you had to drive and spend gas money and time.... doesn't UPS & FEDEX deliver there too?

Bench costs are going up and a good tech is hard to find and they know it and charge accordingly. You either pay the cost or pick up a used one on E-Bay. The downside to E-Bay is you do not know the history of that piece of gear. Spending a bit more to fix your old one might actually make more sense because you know that gear;s history and how it has been taken cared for over the years.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<<< "I'd gladly ship it to a repair person for the price of shipping, but I don't know how to find one.

Does anybody here know?" >>>

Advertize it on ebay and Craigslist as "Parts Only" sale. Buyer pays the shipping and you get $10-20 dollars.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Notes do you have a tech school near you that teaches electronics? Up here we have a number of them, high school and college, and they will repair things for the cost of parts. The high school ones are called Boces http://www.boces.org/

These schools teach high school kids to adults trades like being a chief, electrician, welder, auto mechanic etc. You bring in something that needs fixing and maybe the repair manual and they will use it as a teaching tool. Up here many of the police cars are repaired, both mechanically and collision wise, by Boces saving the taxpayers money while helping the school.

If you have schools like this in Florida then you might want to check them out.

Last edited by MarioD; 03/09/17 04:21 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's a 1204 (sorry about the typo)

I'm getting another used one from Ebay, and you are correct, I do not know the history. The advertiser says it's working, so I'll put it in right away and try it.

No we don't have an electronics school around here, but that's a good suggestion.

I e-mailed the person who does my electronics repairs locally (no music gear though) and he doesn't want it and doesn't know who would.

I've emailed the tech who does repair pro audio gear, and if he wants it, I'll gladly send it to him as long as he pays shipping fees.

If not I guess I'll put it up on Ebay for $1.00 plus shipping and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, it gets discarded.

It's a shame that so much gear these days is disposable. Yes as a self-employed person, I know the repair tech needs to charge a lot for his/her time and overhead expenses. It just seems a waste to dispose of a piece of equipment that took so many of the earth's resources to manufacture, only to end up in a landfill.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran
Look for a place that fixes cell phones and tablets. Most of them have the supplier contacts to get parts and the skills and tools needed to replace parts. Some have kiosks at various malls to deliver and pick up devices and repair offsite. Some of them are also independent cellphone and tablet re-sellers.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah... no kidding. You can sell it "as is" and there's a chance someone will buy it.

Years ago... this is no lie.... someone gave me a non-functional RME interface. This was one of the really nice high end multi-channel interfaces. Retail new was around $1500. I looked inside, checked a few things and didn't have any idea what was wrong with it. I called the company and they said they could repair it for around $500 and that included return shipping. Too much for me. So on a whim, I posted it for sale on E-Bay. I kid you not, the bidding ran the price up and someone outbid everyone else and paid $500 for it. He was planning to buy it, fix it and use it for less than the cost of a new one.

You just never know.

www.herbhartley.com

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Almost always equipment never really dies. Older equipment can be repaired at the component level and sometimes hard to get IC's can be replaced with a generic chip with only minor alignment needed to bring the unit back to specs.

Service minimums and bench time at the retail level make it economically unfeasible to repair but has nothing to do with what is broke inside the unit.

It's unfortunate but certainly a fact of life.

Charlie

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Almost always equipment never really dies. Older equipment can be repaired at the component level and sometimes hard to get IC's can be replaced with a generic chip with only minor alignment needed to bring the unit back to specs.

Service minimums and bench time at the retail level make it economically unfeasible to repair but has nothing to do with what is broke inside the unit.

It's unfortunate but certainly a fact of life.

Charlie

Agree..... the parts generally only cost a few dollars, but the labor charges are what get you.

Yep... it's in all fields now. But that's the reality of the world now. Try to find a plumber who will unclog your pipes for under $100 an hr.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, the hourly bench charge is usually very high.

I do understand it though. The repair person has to pay his/her personal bills (mortgage, car, etc.) and then the shop has a lot of overhead as well.

I also learned by selling BiaB aftermarket products, that the bank, credit card company, tax man, insurance company and just about everyone else wants to be your 'silent partner' and take a piece of whatever income you bring in.

The owner of a Ma and Pa music store is going to take it. He'll give it to the traveling repairman who will either fix and resell or use for parts.

The environmentalist part of me doesn't like to see things of use end in the landfill.

The business side of me doesn't want to pay the repair bill when I can get used gear for less.

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
I completely get it Notes. A few years ago my EMU 1820M started acting really bad, I PM'd Mac to ask if he wanted it and he said OK. I didn't even ask him about shipping, I just ate it. It was $15 or something.

The thing about landfills is, lets say you keep everything around. Eventually you'll pass on from this life and whoever gets your house is just going to back up a truck and haul everything to the landfill anyway. You might as well enjoy the space right now.

I appreciate the sentiment about landfills but realistically, what can you do? Here in LA they do have specific electronic junk drop off places where they do break the stuff down and recycle what they can. They can take circuit boards and old cell phones and recover some small trace amount of gold for example.

It's either that or we'll start seeing you on an episode of Hoarders. Oh, that's right you don't watch TV. Well, just imagine someone's house completely full of junk piled up like 6 feet high to the point there's a 18" wide path going from the so called living room to the bathroom...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
They have an electronics recycling program here too - but I'll never do it again.

You have to drive to the dump (landfill) wait in line behind a dozen or so diesel spewing trucks for the better part of an hour, get to the gate, where the guy has no idea what to do with your gear, who calls one person after another, and finally asks you to just drop it off here and go.

I'm sure it ended in the landfill anyway.

My local M&P music store will take it and give it to the guy who fixes gear for most of the local stores. He could probably at least cannibalize some of the small parts.

Or put it in the landfill himself wink

Oh, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, the world won't end even if my mixer takes a million years to return to the earth. I know that if enough people do a little, the end result is a lot. So I do what I can, when I can.

When I pass from this life, someone will probably bulldoze the house to the ground. The land is worth a lot more than it was when I bought it. I live on a half acre, one lot away from the east coast of the mainland of Florida. To the east of that is a 2 mile wide lagoon, then a thin barrier island, then the ocean. The trend around here is to tear the old small housed down and build a mega-house in its place.

And the house itself will probably end up in the landfill

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,662
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200