User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, floyd & Tom
Happy Birthdays.

Very good song with medium tempo.
I like the first chord progressions.
As Charlie said,
Great collaboration bringing on a top notch write, arrangement, dual performance and production.
Very nice vocal as always and the lead guitar line is absolutely perfect.
Very pleasant listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
" there's a hole the size of texas in my heart
so why won't you fall out
why won't you fall out

Great line! Happy Birthday to both of youse. (That's Jersey lingo) grin

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

...You set the bar here for me and you make it a lot more fun
I always try to write a better song to raise my personal bar
but I don't feel competitive, I feel more of a brotherhood.
I may not write this well but you inspire me to always try
for better, There are others here that inspire and motivate
but you're the one that drew me here with great writing and
singing just like this.

Kenny

Kenny stated that so well and it is amazingly reflective of our feelings. The growth (I hope) of our writes and productions are absolutely a result of our collabs with you and Tommy.

Happy birthday you two!

You have an always impressive way of breathing new life into themes of heartache. This is no exception. And then to pull it off with two verses and a chorus. Your write, vocal, BiaB band, production and Tom's guitar just shout "real deal!"

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know if this answer is timely... probably not... but happy birthday to both of you! Two good people and great song writers!

Lots to like here, but a few quick observations before I rush out the door:

I like whatever it is you do to draw the snare out like that. It makes a real difference

I liked the use of the adjective EMPTY as a noun. It adds enough cognitive dissonance to make the line unique, and by using an uncommon grammatical construction it increases the likelihood that the line isn't a song writing cliche.

Nice guitar solo ... but that's almost redundant, since we already know it's by Tommy! (I couldn't tell what he played on the acoustic)

I like the very country-esque idea of a hole the size of (what else?) Texas!

And I like the use of metaphor to ask a question... indeed, why are some things so easy to lose while others are impossible? It might lead to some introspection... or not... but at least the seed is planted. I think that one function of art is to symbolically ask questions, and this song does that.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great tune Floyd, as others have stated this song is very well written and your performance is great as usual. Tom's parts were also very good and by the way happy birthday to both of you God bless! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Floyd, Tommy

No words can explain, 'cept to say that you nailed another one.

This is more sombre, delivered through marvelous lyrics, builds exactly where needed, but not one too many.

Perfect vocals. More genius from the team.

Thanks

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd,

Unless someone slips in while I'm putting this reply together, looks like we have a front row-center seat for this performance.

You and Tom absolutely killed it! This is just so danged good. The arrangement is fabulous and the lead guitar (Tom?) cuts a perfect swath of emotion right through the middle of this. I don't think we've ever heard a bad mix from you and this is one pro all the way.

What a great song and performance. We loved everything about it. Thank you both for the top shelf entertainment. We're still smiling.

BTW, My youngest brother's birthday is March 3rd and mine (Alan) is March 22nd. I'll be 70 ... Holy smokes! Yikes! Di beat me to 70 back in October. She's my favorite cougar!

Best to all of you and thanks again for this great listen.

Alan & Di

Thanks, Alan - glad y'all enjoyed this. Happy (early) B-day!... you'll need to post something on your 70th to celebrate!..

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Floyd, another "hit" here! I really like the imagery in this one. Very well written lyrics, and you always nail the vocals. Tom has a way of laying down really tasteful guitars. So this one really works!

Happy Birthday to both of you!

Steve

Thanks, Steve. Appreciate all that. Tom did a terrific job on this...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

I happened to listen to this whilst my wife was looking over my shoulder, so you get two reviews this time.

I loved everything about it. Your usual super story line - very much in the style, but always with a twist. Great vocals and harmony over a very professional backing track. Your usual excellent mix. Tom's guitar is sublime. Superb.

My wife's comment - "Obviously very good, but too much in the "Sad & Lonely Club" for me".
I get the same treatment. She likes Rock & Roll!

Cheers, ROG.

ROG - appreciate that! We'll have to "catch" Mrs. ROG next time around... smile

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd & Tom
Happy Birthdays.

Really pretty song - wonderfully performed. Nice laid back vibe with some really nice dynamics and a good set of lyrics.

Beautifully sung and very tasteful guitar playing.

Peter

Peter - thanks for dropping in on this one...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Really good, as usual! Great solo from Tom! Nice one guys, enjoyed the listen.

Thanks, Dave...

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I hope you both enjoyed your Birthday celebrations!

Really enjoying listening to this song you two collaborated on - what a nice tradition.. smile

This is today's Hot Forum Topic!

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd / Tom,

Excellent! Outstanding arrangement and mix. Great vocal by Floyd and killer guitar work by Tom.

Loved it!

Bob

Appreciate that, Bob...

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Great collaboration bringing on a top notch write, arrangement, dual performance and production. Enjoyed this one a lot and will be back for more.

Happy birthday to both of you.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie - always look forward to you dropping in...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We are a little late to the party.....
Happy birthday to you both guys!
And a very gentle song to go along with it.

Nice work.

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Second song with "Texas" in a row as I'm listening to songs on the forum, and another beauty!! Cleverness is a big part of songwriting. So is heart. To do either well is very hard. To capture them both together is magical. That is what Floyd has done with this song. So clever, so sweet, so sincere, so emotional! And the music just carries the story perfectly. Vocal is just what's needed. This is a GREAT SONG!!! A beauty Floyd! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Floyd.

Very enjoyable. Liked the way the hole in a pocket idea developed.
Great lead Tom and the bass part comes through real nice.

So smoothly done it sounds relaxed and effortless. Late birthday Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robbie Buford
Fourteen years on this forum and I've seen VERY FEW songwriters who could match your lyric writing. Seriously. Nice job on production, vocals, guitar work too. Keep 'em coming.

Happy Birthday, guys.

Rob cool

Rob - I do truly appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
good job to you both.

Top notch writing as always.

Thanks, Herb...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Happy early birthday to you both! I love the lyrics in this one, Floyd. You've got a real way of grounding lofty ideas with little, real-world details that just immediately resonate (hole in my jeans, etc!). And the lead guitar line is absolutely perfect. Talk about emotive! Beautiful tone, too.

Thank you, Will....I really appreciate that.. Yes, Tom lead is extraordinary!...

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Excellent one. Great production.

Happy birthday

Sergio

Thanks, Sergio...

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Floyd,

Happy belated birthday!

Your a machine man. This is a fine write. (do you have any that aren't?) wink
I liked the production as well. Kudos to Tom for his guitar tracks. I really like the drum sound you (consistently) get... The drum track here almost seemed a little dry, but I still liked it. grin

Nice Job!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Floyd, another "hit" here! I really like the imagery in this one. Very well written lyrics, and you always nail the vocals. Tom has a way of laying down really tasteful guitars. So this one really works!

Steve

Happy Birthday floyd and Tom! Hope Saturday is a great day for you both.

I agree with everything Steve said. Top notch (as always)... very listenable (as always)... musicianship shines in every aspect (as always). Your songwriting, arranging, producing and performing continues to inspire me in so very many ways.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - Thanks for all of that. I've enjoyed (and appreciated) your support over a number of years. It is truly amazing how this forum has grown over those years - and the level and amount of the talent that has found their way here. You are a big reason for that...

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Fantastic! this sounds commercial to me (like a hit song)
love the arrangement touches, unexpected chord changes
all subtle and effective.
Great guitar Tom, I've been missing your presence here
No waste in the lyrics, just the words that fit in the story
I was a little hurt by the small letter used for Texas but I
know there was no malice intended and the title has it in
Capital.
You set the bar here for me and you make it a lot more fun
I always try to write a better song to raise my personal bar
but I don't feel competitive, I feel more of a brotherhood.
I may not write this well but you inspire me to always try
for better, There are others here that inspire and motivate
but you're the one that drew me here with great writing and
singing just like this.

Kenny

Kenny - What a very nice review. Thank you. This is a truly incredible forum. I am glad you found your way here...it is just that much better because of your shared talent...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Happy Birthday Floyd and Tom. Excellent song. Super vocal and excellent guitar. Really cool lyric and backtrack. Well done

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: Skyline
A clever lyric sentiment, and a beautiful musical setting. Nice work guys, and many happy returns!

John

Appreciate it, John...

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Man, this is just great all around! Fabulous work guys!

I lOVE the chorus.

There's a hole the size of
Texas in my heart
so why don't you just fall out..

Ha ha

Love it!!!

GREAT singing and playin' y'all.

Thanks, David... (where is your next one?)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Happy Birthday floyd! May we share many more. Thanks for the invite. This song keeps playing in my head. (as many of yours so often do) Hope you are having a good time in Key West. Hoist one for me. Many thanks to all that have commented on my small part here. Tom

We need to plan a Birthday Celebration in Key West some year!
Try the jambalaya at Carloine's (or the burger)! Hog Fish Grill and Blue Heaven were great. Don't miss the Firelfly.
I had my bachelor party in what is now the Hog's Breath (The Monster in '77)). We were married at a private residence on Duval Street which is now the Casablanca Hotel. Things have changed!

Love your solo work in "A Hole THe Size Of Texas", Tom! Especially the last couple of phrases... exquisite! Thanks, buddy! Let's do it again...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
What a great tradition to start. Pity if we have to wait a whole year before we get another collab between the two of you....
Very nice. Enjoyed it.

Thanks, Joanne.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd & Tom
Happy Birthdays.

Very good song with medium tempo.
I like the first chord progressions.
As Charlie said,
Great collaboration bringing on a top notch write, arrangement, dual performance and production.
Very nice vocal as always and the lead guitar line is absolutely perfect.
Very pleasant listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - thank you for the nice review... appreciate it...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
" there's a hole the size of texas in my heart
so why won't you fall out
why won't you fall out

Great line! Happy Birthday to both of youse. (That's Jersey lingo) grin

Regards,

Bob

Appreciate it, Bob...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195