#401681 03/20/17 02:41 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I've been using PT for 14 yrs.(Still on Ver 10b which serves my purpose well) I really like it. I have also been using my SB Audigy 2 NX ext. sound card and sound fonts with PT.

That was windows 2000 and XP. Now with Vista (my old pc which is now a dedicated music pc) I use PT and midi files to create songs I vocalize to (and love the TC Helicon and all it's neat tricks).

My question is (not a PG Music problem) Creative Labs has dropped support for sound fonts after XP. Is there another way to integrate SF into Power Tracks?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Yes if the version of PowerTracks you use can accept VSTi instruments. The Plogue Sforzando midi instrument PG Music now uses plays Soundfonts. There are multiple GM compatible Soundfont libraries available on the internet.

PG Music sells +++ Coyote Forte DXI +++ which is a GM compatible soft synth.

PG Music also sells +++ Cakewalk's Music Creator 7 +++ which includes Roland's GM compatible TTS-1 soft synth.

+++ Sonar Home Studio +++ replaces Music Creator 7. It is the same price as Music Creator 7 and also includes the TTS-1 soft synth.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Jim, The VSTi instruments. The Plogue Sforzando midi instrument you mentioned is a new term to me. Please forgive my ignorance on this newer stuff, but I'm just looking to get away from my old way of working (my creations worked well on the older versions of everything).
I'm researching all these things that are new to me, but still a bit confused.

How do I go about getting VSTi and Plogue files and how to marry them to my Power Tracks? Is PT 17 a lot more refined? I am just doing basic stuff. Singing along with midi file (with decent sounding instruments) and taking advantage of the Pitch correction and harmonies PT has.

Thx, Bill [u][/u]

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Jim shared several choices for General MIDI sound creation; however, if you want to use soundfonts that you already have (I have the creative 2MB, 4MB, and 8MB that use to ship standard with Creative cards - and for some reason the defaulted to the 2MB soundfont, which never made sense). Anyway, here are some soundfont alternatives (not comprehensive).

Synthfont allows you to load a soundfont (GM or otherwise) and use it as a VST, or as a standalone to play through.

I believe version 1 is free and version 2 is not expensive ($17 for a lifetime license).

You can also load a soundfont into the Sforzando VST that now ships with BIAB/RealBand (it will convert the format) and select patches there as well. I can't remember if it comes with PowerTracks or not (but if so, it would have to be version 2017).

You can also load a Soundfont using the Coolsoft Virtual MIDI Synth, which sets up a MIDI output port that acts like an external device and allows you to load soundfonts as your sound source. However, unlike a VSTi or DXi, you can't render directly to audio; you would need to record the output from your computer back into your computer (again, as you would do with an external synth).

I have a ton of soundfonts I've acquired over the years that I could probably share (I'll see about uploading them to DropBox sometime this week).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks jford. I understand what your saying. I too have 2,4,8 MB Sf files from my Creative sound cards. I downloaded the free version of SynthFont 1 and it plays and converts midi music to wav file. It works quite well. The 1 MB SF file it is supplied with is excellent.

I can do that and then import it into Power Tracks and then start my vocals, but It would be most ideal to be able to have control over the midi music and vocal wav files at the same time for optimum control of balance and tone.

Bill

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Look at the Synthfont site and look for the VSTSynthFont file. Then load the VST into PowerTracks so it is available to you. Then in Powertracks, you can either tell individual MIDI tracks to use VSTSynthFont, or you can make it your default MIDI sound source. When you open the VSTSynthfont interface, you can tell it which Soundfont file you want to use.

Then your MIDI tracks will play concurrently using the soundfont you want along with your audio tracks.

Let me know if that doesn't properly explain it.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
j,
Thanks again for info. I did install the VSTSynthFont file into PT. I installed it in the PT folder in PROGRAMS where plugins where indicated. I'm still not sure what to do next. In PT I couldn't see any differences.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Az; 03/20/17 01:30 PM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Bill, yes, PowerTracks 2017 (you called it 17) has many more features than what was released many years ago.

I was going to take a look at your problem and provide some screen shots, but realized that I'm not actually sure which version of PowerTracks (PTPA) you are running.

You say version 10b; however, there is a version 10 (released in 2005) and a version 2010 (released in 2010), which are not the same thing.

I do see that there was a 2010 Build 4b update released, but please verify the version you are running and I can probably help out when I get home from work this evening.

PTPA used version numbers up through v12, at which point the number switched to the year. I started way back when with v5 with all version in between up to 2017 now.

Please let me know and we can hopefully get you on the right track.

John

PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
John, Yes I do have PT ver. 10 b from 2005. I guess maybe that's why I can't get the VST Synthfont to work? Thanks for spending so much time on my situation.

Bill

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Bill -

And I just looked and it appears that VST/VSTi support was added in version 11, so you are one behind that.

It looks like DX/DXi support was added in version 10, so you could get your MIDI to work with a DXi synth. For example, you could buy the Coyote Forte DXi Synth from PGMusic for $40. It won't be your Soundfonts, but if you were only using the Creative soundfonts, you'll find it will sound much better. That would allow you to hear MIDI and audio data concurrently in PowerTracks.

All that being said, you have missed versions 11, 12, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and now 2017. A lot has happened since then.

You can upgrade to just the basic PowerTracks 2017 package for $29. It costs more if you are interested in getting RealDrums content, but $29 gets you in the gate. You can check it out +++ here +++.

I would suggest upgrading to a newer version, if you are still interested in using PowerTracks. It will install the CoyoteWT DXi synth (which is not the same as the Coyote Forte). The CoyoteWT just wraps the MIDI sounds that come with Windows (which don't sound very good, but does work), so you'll have sounds very similar to what you get with I'd say the 2MB Creative soundfont. Be aware that the user interface will look different, but we on the forum will be happy to help you navigate that.

I'm assuming you aren't looking to invest a lot of money, based on your initial post (but could be wrong). There are other similarly priced options such as Cakewalk Music Creator 7, which comes with some pretty good MIDI sounds (not pro-level, but definitely usable. I would have recommended Sonar Home Studio; however, it requires Windows 8 or 10 to run. There is also Reaper at a similar price point.

Good luck and let us know.

John

PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
John, Thx for the detailed info. I also did more in depth research and see what you mean about the newer version with the VST/VSTi support. I never had to deal with that before, because up till recently I was using Win2000 on an old 750 Duron pc (don't laugh, but it did work quite well over the years - didn't have a reason to upgrade).

I enjoy the vocal harmonizer and pitch correction in PT. (Invaluable)I did upgrade from ver 9 in 2005 when I discovered the pitch corr and harmonizer they added to PT 10. For $29 I think it's worth it to bring me into the present decade. There are a lot of features in these programs I never had reason to even investigate. I just vocalize with harmonies to midi files I've collected over the last 20 yrs.

I'll down load it today. I'll let you know about my success.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Cool, there's a lot of us here that can help out if you run into problems.

John

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
It would be real interesting to hear 'after thoughts' from someone upgrading PT from 2005 to 2017.
Do let us know what you think.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
John, rharv,
I downloaded PT 2017 yesterday. Installed it in my Vista SP2. Took me a while to find out where some of my old controls are. A lot more professional/neater looking. It worked as well as my old version. Most of the drop down menus were the same. Getting used to the relocation of controls had me moving the pointer all over the place. I also installed the Real 3.0 drummer too.

John, It looks like it's using the MS GS wav table synth. (Not cool). Based on what you told me I guess it will never use SF like my old system? I downloaded the VSTSynthFont file.exe and executed it and installed it in the C:Programs/PT directory, like the instructions showed. The .dll for it did go into the PT Direct X plugins directory.
I don’t understand where or how to envoke this feature.
The sound I get from SynthFont Player with it’s built in measly 1 MB S Font file is superior to the ones from Creative.(2, 4 or 8 MB).
So bottom line, how do I use the VSTSynthfont File?

Thanks John,
Bill

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
First click the little dropdown arrow on the left end of a MIDI track and select Edit DXi synth

Click the drop down for the first of the four empty slots.
If the SynthFont is not present in the list;
Scroll to bottom.

Use Add Dxi to list and then browse (navigate) to that dll file you mentioned.

After that it should be available in the list.

To make all tracks use it (I'm not sure if it can do multiple MIDI channels/sounds)
you can try to insert it to replace the default one by selecting it as the Default DXi synth in the Prefs area.

If it doesn't work here you'll have to assign it to all the tracks using the right click menu or the little arrow.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, you have to scroll to the bottom and add VSTi, not DXi, then find the Synthfont dll to do so.

Once you open the interface you should be able to load your favorite soundfont. Mine is the 31.9MB Reality soundfont.

Last edited by jford; 03/22/17 06:05 PM.

John

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
'DXi' and 'VSTi' are used interchangeably in PT.

It's called default DXi synth, yet add VSTi (or vice versa) .. whatever
They should standardize on one or the other.
FWIW I use a modified Chaos (12 meg) SF. They are fun to tinker with, like the old samplers.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thx a lot guys,
I have it. I have a sf bank working in PT 2017. I have all the instrument icons on each of the midi tracks. I've been making comparisons between the SF banks. Creative 4, 8 MB and the SynthFont SF 1 MB bank. To me the SynthFont 1 MB bank sounds more realistic than the others. I guess size doesn't always matter?

Just to throw one more confusing thing I've been dealing with into this whole mix, is I was also comparing (with the same set of headphones) PT 2017 on the Vista pc (3GB ram, 2.4 GHZ) which has the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX (USB external) hookup against my old dependable Win 2000 750 MHZ Duron processor with 512 MB ram and PT 10 (2005). The Win 2000 machine has my really old SB Live mp3+ internal card.

I truly think the old SB Live has a somewhat better quality sound than the Audigy . Anyway - (I used the same midi files, same SF bank).

back in the late 90's I had a C Labs AWE32 card in win 98 and to me that was even better yet. But, the AWE32 used 16 bit ISA buss slot which is now ancient.

Thanks again, Bill

Last edited by Bill Az; 03/23/17 06:29 AM.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Bill, I suggest you do a search for the 31.9 MB Reality Soundfont, download, and install it as your default. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

John

PowerTracks Pro Audio
B
Bill Az Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
John, I did downloaded the 31.9 Sf bank. It sounds great in my Win 2000 PC.

Now that it's a .SF2, how can I get it in PT 2017 without the support of the creative SF bank manager?

Bill

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200