Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This was in the latest BMI newsletter and has some really good advice in it. One, two, three and five are good ones, but all 6 are important things that everyone should pay attention too and attempt to heed.

Over the years whenever one of my favorite iconic recordings would come on the radio, invariably I’d wonder, “Why can’t my stuff sound as good as this?” Aside from the obvious pro-studio advantages, those responsible for capturing these exquisite tracks not only knew what to do in the studio, they also knew what not to do—which, from my standpoint, is at least as important.

Hence, the following is a partial list of some of the most common errors that, if left unchecked, can potentially de-rail the recording process. Rather than attempting to “fix in the mix,” avoiding these production pitfalls will go a long way towards ensuring a satisfactory session every time out.

Too many takes = big mistake. You nailed the vocal on Take 1, but you insisted you could do it better…and there you are, 24 takes later, still trying. Been there? We all have—enough to know that chasing the perfect take is often an exercise in futility. Even if there’s a glitch or two, the spontaneity of those first few attempts is preferable to a fatigued, fussed-over performance (and besides, a punch-in or two will take care of those little miscues back on Take 1).

Less tracks, more music. Did you know that the majority of the Beatles’ catalogue was conceived using just four tracks? And that was high tech compared to recordings of the 1940s, which were cut directly to a rotating wax disc that had to be discarded if someone dared make a mistake. While having unlimited tracking capacity courtesy of ProTools and the like doesn’t necessarily make us lesser musicians, the temptation to use all that extra space can result in an inferior product if you’re not careful. So even though you could do umpteen takes of the same guitar part with the goal of editing together a single flawless master, why bother? Rather than filling up a production with layer upon layer of instrumental overlays, having a few passages with nothing but drums, bass and vocal can often be more ear-catching than a big wall of sonic clutter. Point being: there’s something to be said for the discipline that was once required when all you had was some basic machinery and a limited amount of time to get the job done.

Stay tuned. While there are those who believe that a great engineer can make even a mediocre set of tracks sound sensational, I look at it the other way—if the performances are top notch, even a middling engineer can get it right (I should know). Hence, a successful production begins with good-sounding, properly tuned instruments (and, of course, a competent set of players), so that all you have to do is put up a few mics, set the levels and go. Re-stringing guitars and basses prior to a session is always a good idea (since new strings will be brighter and cleaner-sounding). Ditto for percussion—having well-tuned, sufficiently tight heads is essential for getting a respectable drum sound. Be sure to check for any cracks on the bass drum near where the beater strikes, and consider replacing the head if need be.

Stop, what’s that sound? I once found this big old clock at the dump and, without thinking, stuck it in on the wall of the main recording room, not realizing it had an unusually loud ticking sound—which, with the help of a few sensitive mics, became quite obvious during the fade of an otherwise flawless tracking session (much to the displeasure of the artist). Dealing with an ambient noisemaker isn’t always as simple as bringing the culprit back to the dump from whence it came – a nearby furnace, a flushing toilet or adjacent foot traffic can easily find their way onto your recording, particularly when using compressors or other signal boosters. To keep these household sounds at bay, try using directional mics (including dynamics like a Shure SM57, for instance) pointed away from the offending sound source; or, if using a condenser mic, consider adding a noise gate to the signal chain (or better yet, turn off the heat and lock the bathroom until you’re done recording).

Compress less. A few weeks ago I heard a song on the radio that was recently recorded in my studio, and what should have been a joyful three minutes quickly turned embarrassing when I realized that my penchant for using thick compression when mixing—combined with the station’s own broadcast compression—had resulted in one big squashed mess. It’s a common mistake: when making a mix at home, we tend to want our songs to sound like they’re on the radio right there, and there’s nothing like a nice fat compressor/limiter to get you that on-air sheen. But if real radio is your ultimate goal, be sure to keep the compression (and other post-production enhancements) to a minimum when mixing.

Be prepared. Years ago I argued in favor of putting away all cables, microphones and other equipment at the end of each session in order to keep your space clutter-free and avoid potential accidents. But what if you suddenly get a creative urge the following evening? By the time you’re done setting everything up all over again, that kernel of an idea could be gone for good. As a result, I’ve since decided that it’s better to keep mics, cables, mix levels, etc., right where they are so you can be in a perpetual state of record-readiness. Not that you should completely throw caution to the wind—to prevent mics from taking a fatal plunge, use plastic clips to hold wiring in place on boom stands, as well as gaffer tape to secure all cables to the floor (Gorilla Tape works great for this purpose, by the way). While you’re at it, make sure everything is in proper working order—check all cables, mics and instruments for buzzes and other extraneous noises that can create unwanted interruptions in the middle of a session. If you have any equipment that is particularly sensitive to nearby electronic impulses, consider getting a power-conditioning unit (PCU), which will help prevent sudden flare-ups and other stray noises from invading your otherwise pristine tracks.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
All good advice but number one is the most important. YMMV.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Good advice, especially the first two.

I've learned the hard way that I should always keep my first take when recording a guitar solo, the first usually has the best feel. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try and do better, but make sure you keep the first take, that is often the one I'll end up using.

Too many tracks is a trap that is very easy to fall into when you have a program like BIAB/Realband. I've done it myself, and I hear it over on the showcase too. More often than not, less is more.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the post. Good info!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Less tracks, more music falls right in line with your signature tagline, Herb.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Good advice Herb.

Regards,

Bob

Journeyman
Journeyman
Excellent article, Herb. The reference to the Beatles production and engineering is especially noteworthy. Initially, their producer, George Martin, had only TWO tracks to work with. By '63 he had four tracks to work with and the genius he applied to such a limitation is detailed in his book "All You Need Is Ears".

Chapter 8, "Layering the Cake" goes into detail about the nuts and bolts of the recording process he used. It's a pretty amazing documentary that every aspiring engineer and producer should read. In Martin's case, less HAD to be MORE...it was all he had. There are tons of other tips and tricks and gear he used, presented in the book. Also a treasure trove of Beatles trivia and minutiae. Check it out.

~Rob

Amazon: ISBN 978-0312114824 $14.99
All You Need Is Ears - George Martin

W
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
W
Great post. Compress less and Too many takes = big mistake are key, IMO.

Will - PG Music
L
Expert
Expert
L
Number 2 is why I enjoy BIAB. I can rely on great musicians around me. Luckily, ironically, I'm too lazy to do multiple takes. Number 4 is my Hong Kong nightmare. Howling dogs, home handymen and insanely noisy neighbours. DI is essential.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's my point by point take on this article.

Too many takes Quite literally, the majority of my live tracks are one or two takes.... with punches to fix the big nits. I might track a lead vox 2 or 3 times but I delete the previous one. Layered and harmony vox are 99% of the time one take and done. Same with guitars. Very little in the way of multiple takes. I rehearse before I press record.

Less tracks, more music. Again, the majority of my projects are between 8 to 12 tracks. Occasionally I will exceed that and get into the upper teens, but even then, it's simply because I maybe added or changed a guitar track solo and rather than record it into an existing track where the space exists, I just add another track.

Stay tuned. One of my pet peeves. I can hear notes that are not quite in tune. It's like fingernails on the chalkboard to my ears. Always tune your instrument. Always sing in tune or use Melodyne to fix it. Nothing chaps my rear end like a guitar that's out of tune or a singer flat or sharp of the pitch.

Stop, what’s that sound? I don't sweat this one too much. But I do have the occasional yard maint guy running his weed whacker, or the truck, or the train, or the barking dog that interrupts a session. When the guy across the street is running the lawnmower, I find something else to work on that doesn't require a mic.

Compress less. I use as little compression as I need. Sometimes not enough but I'd rather error on the lesser side of this one.

Be prepared. Pffftt. It takes all of 60 seconds to turn on the DAW and it's ready to roll. Due to the lean and mean setup I have here, as soon as the system is booted, we're ready to record. It's a dedicated DAW and everything stays connected all the time. Boot time and now that BB loads in about 2 seconds.... this is a no brainer.

And that's how we roll around here.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/07/17 03:22 PM.

www.herbhartley.com

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Great post Herb, I was dissapointed with my last mastering efforts compared to my first two songs.

Now on reflection,I messed about too long tweaking & adding too much of this and that.

Less is definatley more?
Must learn and move on
Paul

https://soundcloud.com/yorkshireknight
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4e8SXLwMaA00HcN0RaEqEA

BIAB/Realband Ultra plus Pak.2017(3)Intel i7,16GB Ram, 250 GB SSD,2TB HD. Mixcraft 7,Line6 ux2, axiom 49,NT1 mic
Veteran
Veteran
Great post Herb. I unfortunately see myself in all six points. I guess realization can be the place to start.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Great post Herb. I unfortunately see myself in all six points. I guess realization can be the place to start.

Jeff

indeed!

www.herbhartley.com

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rob Buford
Excellent article, Herb. The reference to the Beatles production and engineering is especially noteworthy. Initially, their producer, George Martin, had only TWO tracks to work with. By '63 he had four tracks to work with and the genius he applied to such a limitation is detailed in his book "All You Need Is Ears".
Chapter 8, "Layering the Cake" goes into detail about the nuts and bolts of the recording process he used. It's a pretty amazing documentary that every aspiring engineer and producer should read. In Martin's case, less HAD to be MORE...it was all he had. There are tons of other tips and tricks and gear he used, presented in the book. Also a treasure trove of Beatles trivia and minutiae. Check it out.
~Rob
Amazon: ISBN 978-0312114824 $14.99
All You Need Is Ears - George Martin

That's a great set of principles, Herb. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Far as the Beatles go, in those days they called it reduction engineering, or something close to that. Today we call it bounce or render to new track.
Did the Beatles invent it? I bet they did.
There are a things about bounce we still can take from those principles.
We can adjust levels and effects as we reduce to one track until we get something we like. That way, we are still keeping it manageable, keeping it simple. My rig is eight track, two inputs, vocal and instrument, set up to
be two sets of four tracks. So, even today, four tracks rules.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw

That's a great set of principles, Herb. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Far as the Beatles go, in those days they called it reduction engineering, or something close to that. Today we call it bounce or render to new track.
Did the Beatles invent it? I bet they did.

My money is on Les Paul.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
well why don't you practice what you preach...fella

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
C'mon I've listened to your posts. You serious or having a laugh .

P[lease

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Big john
well why don't you practice what you preach...fella

Who are you talking too?

www.herbhartley.com

Apprentice
Apprentice
Great post, Herb. The good ol' KISS principle applies once again. It can be hard to achieve when there are so many toys in the nursery.

Um... Big John. Play nice.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The clock tip is pretty funny. I have a song that highlighted bleed of a click track (even though there were no open mics) that has haunted me for several years. I am finally getting around to re-recording it.

It's not noticeable until the fade at the end of the song, but there it is: tick tock tock tock tick tock tock tock gently whispering in the fade.

It was an issue with the PreSonus Firebox - after I checked the forums, I found out it was pretty common on those units.

Herb, like you, most of my takes are 1st or 2nd - mainly because most of my songs are written and recorded during February Album Writing Month.

And too many tracks, also not an issue writing and recording 14 songs in a month. But, I think this is a downfall of the ease of adding 'just one more track' in BIAB - too many people trying to use too many instruments in their arrangements.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,032
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185