Veteran

#409129 - 04/24/17 02:47 PM [Off-Topic] Re: fyi guitar pro 7 [Re: pghboemike]
Loc: New Mexico
Larry Kehl Offline
Veteran

upgrades, upgrades, upgrades- they never end

UPDATE to my above tongue-in-cheek reply (not so funny comment below):

it was only $30 to upgrade so I did it for grins.

MINOR RANT:

However, found the same issue with the new GP7 install that finally drove me NUTS and made me leave Cakewalk (and I'm a Sonar Plat. Lifetime customer) last fall after almost 30 years with CW.

The ~1GB GP7 installer file was told to install on my D drive. It installed ~98 MB's (or 0.1 GB) on the D drive - the remaining almost 1GB (980+ MB's) of sound banks were placed on the C drive.

The sound banks were placed in C:\Program Data\.. folder but not until after the installer left bread crumbs in various c drive locations: C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder and the C:\Users\user name\app\roaming ... folders. Just too much stuff, and too many bread crumbs, spread all over the C drive bad - but not as bad as the quadruple/quintuple folders CW increasingly creates (and worse those CW folders are redundant and contain wasteful files) .

Before I get lots of suggestions about buying bigger drives: I personally have PLENTY of C drive (HDD) space, that is NOT the issue at least for me. Although, space MIGHT be an issue for others who only have small SDD C:\ boot drives (256 GB, 512GB, even 1TB SDD's could be an issue if all SW producers, due to laziness, start just placing bulk of files on the boot drive)

The real issue is : there is no, OS or otherwise, compelling design reason to not install the VAST majority of files, especially support DATA files (like sound banks), where the the user told the installer app to install. The user expects bulk of files to be placed on that directed drive - not on the boot drive.

The user should never have to resort to ini/cfg edits, registry hacks, mklink, or other intervention methods to place files & folders where the user DIRECTED they be placed during the install process.

I've already sent off email to Arobas/GP on this and hopefully, and unlike Cakewalk, they will address and modify and not ignore or blow it off as CW did.

Actually it got a little testy over at CW after soem back and forth (not so nice) posts got moved to to the "feature update request" forum and shortly thereafter they were deleted when new Bakery was started - so I finally just walked away. I figured a 28 year customer deserved a better answer then "why would you ever want to move files around?" - DUH?!! "but if do (dummy) here's some work arounds."

Larry
=========

PS in the time it took to write this Arobas/GP has already replied that they have support request and will look at it (so +1 for them so far)

Edited by Larry Kehl (04/24/17 05:07 PM)
Win10Pro64,i78086K,32GB,2TBSSD+20TB HDDs,1080TI,Scarlett18i8,MIDI4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7,XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL20, SO3,MC8,AD2,ST3,Kontakt5,Amptube4,etc.. but I'm really a guitar player;AXE FX III+++

#409138 - 04/24/17 03:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: fyi guitar pro 7 [Re: pghboemike]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Thanks ! been waiting for that, they didn't send me any notifications.

$30 for upgrade.

#409260 - 04/25/17 10:03 AM [Off-Topic] Re: fyi guitar pro 7 [Re: pghboemike]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Larry -

I'm sure you already realize this, but if you use Command Center to install the Sonar products, the default setting is a silent install and everything ends up on the C: drive. You can turn that off and then it will do a verbose install. Until I found this out, I would just use Command Center to tell me what needed updating, then go to the webpage and update manually. Afterwards, I can do it all through Command Center now.

Of course, to do that you first have to uninstall everything (I use Revo Uninstaller for things like this) to reset all the default locations), because once installed, it will grey out and install to the previously installed locations (except for your VST location).

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#409268 - 04/25/17 11:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: fyi guitar pro 7 [Re: jford]
Larry Kehl Offline
Veteran

John

Yes, I knew about the verbose mode but I don't (didn't) use CCC anyway; remember, the very first version of CCC did not have a “Verbose mode” so I left CCC in the dust right off the bat.

I won’t rant here about Sonar (this isn’t a Sonar forum) but just for fun do a thorough check of how many Cakewalk folders you have on C:\ and check the sub-directories and contents in EACH one. Then compare that content to all the other CW folders on C: \. Remember, all of those folders (except one) are there even if you tell Sonar to install on a different DRIVE; a lot of redundancy. Yes, most are small files and you may think “mountain-molehill” paranoia; but there is no reason for it.

I won’t write a tome on why I finally walked away in November – but it ends with: it’s not the Greg Hendershott CW company I started with in 1989, there are other very good DAW’s out here so why put up with attitude.

I will monitor - since I've already paid for lifetime SPLAT - but I doubt I'll be returning (or recommending)

Larry

Edited by Larry Kehl (04/25/17 11:46 AM)
Edit Reason: nits and nats
Win10Pro64,i78086K,32GB,2TBSSD+20TB HDDs,1080TI,Scarlett18i8,MIDI4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7,XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL20, SO3,MC8,AD2,ST3,Kontakt5,Amptube4,etc.. but I'm really a guitar player;AXE FX III+++

PG Music News
Drum Notation Support in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

One of the newest features added to Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Drum Notation Support!
•All the MIDI Drums have drum notation. Play the MIDI Drums and open the Notation window. Then, select the Drums track and you will see drum notation.
•Drum notation can be entered by a user on the Melody/Soloist track.

Learn how to enter MIDI Drums notation when you jump to this topic in our New Features video:
35:18 - New Features: New Track Type - Drum Notation

Customers LOVE the NEW Xtra Styles PAK 6!

Here's what they're saying:
"I can't get enough of the Xtra Styles!"
"These RealStyles are phenomenal!!"
"These are AWESOME!"
"Gypsy Jazz? Yippee!"
"I want them ALL!"
"The Country Xtra Styles are perfect for my songs!"
"Everyone should have these!"

There are 162 more RealStyles now available with Xtra Styles PAK 6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 or newer - that means there are more than 900 RealStyles available with Xtra Styles PAKs 1-6!

We're having a SALE! During the month of December, purchase Xtra Styles PAK 6 for just $29! (reg. $49) In fact, each Volume (6 total) is available for just $29 each - we're also offering a special price for a purchase of ALL Volumes 1-6 - for just $159 you can receive ALL 900+ RealStyles!

Review all the different Xtra Styles PAKs for Windows here. Mac user? Click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Order in Time for Christmas!

Looking to put Band-in-a-Box® under the tree? It's not too late!

USA/Canada: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery
Outside of North America: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th.

Order online anytime at www.pgmusic.com and be downloading most products within minutes!

Until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows, we've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Forum Stats
28480 Members
58 Forums
55412 Topics
461616 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
MDelto, 546213, korelus, ckane, Brasso

28480 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 404
Pipeline 376