Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hello, floyd

Very traditional and beautiful country tune with great vocals and harmonies.
I will love the lyrics of " baby, i'm your man".
As Torrey said, you captured the heartfelt emotion of many, many men out there who have trouble saying what they feel with this one!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
1st view, 1st listen on here...I caught it at the right time!

Now...

Wow! Someone knows how to build a song! It's pretty AND powerful. Talk about kickin' in a chorus for a bit of emotion! Dang!

The tension and release techniques you use in lyrics, melody/harmony, and rhythmic didn't go unnoticed with me.

That may be the best I've hard your voice too! Powerful and emotional!

A shout out to that studio female vocalist you got as well! I'm not sure how you got her, because I know with skills like that, she's been in high demand. You must know somebody wink

Great job!

Caaron - nice to see you here "early on"... smile You often note aspects of the writing that others do not... and I always appreciate that... I know that chick singer will appreciate the notice, too... Thanks!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
There's a couple of moments in my life I won't forget.

The night I out-countried David Allan Coe.

The afternoon I took Charlie Daniels' guitar out of his hands and made him hang his head and weep like a little baby.

The day Billy Gibbons said "I give up, you play it then."

The morning Willie Nelson said I can't party no more man, you're insane.

The day I wandered out of Sloppy Joe's with underwear on my head and passed out in the street then woke up and found out I hadn't even been in Sloppy Joe's after all.

And the moment I heard this song and realized it may be the most country dang song I ever heard.

You guys made me cry.

This was country.

What can I say to that!? - except...thanks for SUCH a cool review!! (I think I SAW you at Sloppy Joe's!!!)

ROG #411419 05/08/17 12:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

As you know, I'm not an expert on Country matters (wrong side of the ocean maybe) and I'm always suspicious of anything without a guitar solo, but I DID like that.

It displays all your usual craft in songwriting and performing, all wrapped up in a beautiful mix - powerful but not over-compressed. Janice? Well what can I say that I haven't said before? I'm just a fan.

Hey, I didn't even mind the lack of a solo!

Cheers, ROG.

ROG - thanks!... I think you are doing just fine on the "Country matters" - if you've been listening to a little B&D lately, it doesn't get much Country-er than that...(don't you love their drum sound!?!?...) smile

PeterF #411505 05/09/17 04:53 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Fantastic!
(Check at .39 though)
Cheers.

Thanks, Richard.... at :39 - there is a kick that comes in there - is that what you are referring to?

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd

A simple love song superbly written and sung. Great chorus - instantly memorable.
Janice backing vocals and your lead vocals go hand in glove - lovely harmonies.
A really professional job.

Peter

Thanks, Peter - appreciate such nice comments...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Now...

Wow! Someone knows how to build a song! It's pretty AND powerful. Talk about kickin' in a chorus for a bit of emotion! Dang!

The tension and release techniques you use in lyrics, melody/harmony, and rhythmic didn't go unnoticed with me.

A shout out to that studio female vocalist you got as well! I'm not sure how you got her, because I know with skills like that, she's been in high demand. You must know somebody wink

Great job!

What he said. wink

Regards,

Lefty

Al-David #411585 05/09/17 03:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd,

After having commented on so many of your songs, we're simply out of superlatives. "WOW!" is what came to mind - like your song, it's simple and to the point. If talent were money, Floyd, you'd be a very wealthy man.

Some songs are good.
Some songs are great.
And some songs are Floyd.

Alan & Di

smile - That's one of my all-time favorite reviews... Thanks, y'all! smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd I'm sure you captured the heartfelt emotion of many, many men out there who have trouble saying what they feel with this one! That chorus is fantastic. Sound is great, especially they vocals (lead and background).The strings coming on later in song really give this a nice polish! Another great one from you. Thanks, Torrey

Torrey - thanks for that very nice review...

Originally Posted By: RichMac

(Check at .39 though)

I thought it was my computer, but just listened on a different one, not that you also commented on it. Just a little fix wink

The kick?

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This is a great country song and one of your best vocals. Love the track selection and the way the pedal steel follows you throughout the song. Beautiful mix as well.

Excellent!

Bob

Thanks so much, Bob...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wow! This is country music at it's absolute best. Love your vocal! Powerful and emotive.
Love the chorus too! Totally pro mix as usual.
Outstanding!

Dave - always appreciate hearing things like that!... thanks...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This is a write and performance to hang your dreams on.... This what a purist wants - One true country classic.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Charlie

Interesting that you should say that, Charlie... for a few moments in time, I did just that...

The Oak Ridge Boys had this on hold for a brief period in '95 shortly after I wrote this. It wasn't a long time (most holds don't last long), but it was my first, so, I have to say it was hard not to get quite excited about it. It would have likely only been an album cut since they were not getting much airplay then, but, still... The band went through some stuff around then and I believe that project was sidetracked (scrapped, I think) - though by then, this one was out of the picture... on to other dreams...

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I had to go back and listen again after hearing the Oak Ridge Boys considered recording this song and imagine how they would have done it. Easy to imagine, sounds very much like something they would record. I was always a big fan and saw them many times in concert.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Floyd

Thanks, Richard.... at :39 - there is a kick that comes in there - is that what you are referring to?

I get a click just before "what you need".
If it's meant to be there or it's just my computer or hearing aids
please accept my apologies.
Otherwise fantastic song. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
There's a couple of moments in my life I won't forget.

The night I out-countried David Allan Coe.

The afternoon I took Charlie Daniels' guitar out of his hands and made him hang his head and weep like a little baby.

The day Billy Gibbons said "I give up, you play it then."

The morning Willie Nelson said I can't party no more man, you're insane.

The day I wandered out of Sloppy Joe's with underwear on my head and passed out in the street then woke up and found out I hadn't even been in Sloppy Joe's after all.

And the moment I heard this song and realized it may be the most country dang song I ever heard.

You guys made me cry.

This was country.

What he said ^^^^^^

Appreciate that, Herb...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice just said, "I love everything about this...I love the band, his voice and I loved singing with him and it's a great lyric."

And Bud throws in with accolades for the choice of RT's and the ever present high bar production and the heartfelt performance.

You may call it a simple love song and perhaps at a certain level it is but there's a boatload of beauty in that simplicity.

J&B

"...a boatload of beauty..." - I really like that! you need to use that in a song... Janice - thanks (as always) for helping to raise this to a new level...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd (and Janice),

If ever someone here on the forum manages to almost wink emulate the Garth Brooks (ballad) sound, it is you guys.
We're in awe of it.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

44kfl #412286 05/14/17 02:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Jeez what a beautiful song Floyd. Loved this. I must agree your vocal was one of your best. Harmonies accented so perfectly. Just awesome

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Oh, you wrote a song about me. Thanks

This is excellent, I agree with all thats been said

it hits all the marks, dead on

wonderful song and performance

love it

Kenny

Appreciate it, Kenny... smile

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
A great write and song!

Wonderful production and mix!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I guess I'm a sucker for a simple love song!!! This is what I'd call a perfect write! Lyrics and music are simple and elegant. The message is crystal clear and delivered in a way that is direct and touching. When I read John Steinbeck, I always ask "How the hell does he say so much, so well, with so few simple words?". That's how I felt about this song. And the melody was a perfect match-simple, pretty, predictable enough to grasp on first listen but complex enough to be engaging. This is a master write! And, the vocal is also GREAT! One of my faves by one of my faves. Great stuff Floyd! Take care. Greg

Speaking of good lines... I love every one of these! Thanks, Greg!... smile (Steinbeck has always been a favorite!)

Noel96 #413725 05/16/17 07:45 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

Once more you take ordinary, everyday superlatives such as "outstanding, terrific, first class, top notch, fantastic, etc." and give them vitamin shots and redefine them! This is a superb listen. I particularly enjoyed the feeling of lift associated with entering the chorus.

Everything about this weaves together to create a really engaging listening experience. Your melody is beautiful and twists and turns in exactly the right places to maximise the emotional resonance of the lyrics. You captured my wholehearted attention. This particular melody sounded very considered and well planned, and very skillfully written to my ears. Then, when you performed it, you added vocal enhancements that take it well beyond that often-referenced 'next level'.

From a lyric perspective, a couple of things grabbed my attention and made me ponder. These were...

ONE
You've used a two-line refrain at the end of both verses and choruses.

Originally Posted By: floyd
if what you want is one true heart
then, baby, i'm your man

This is very unusual.

As I'm sitting here typing, for the life of me, I cannot think of any other song in which I've come across this technique of using the same two-line refrain at the end of verses and choruses. While many textbooks would not encourage such a lyric approach, in "One True Heart", you've shown very convincingly that such repetition can be powerful and can strengthen a lyric journey when lyrics develop strongly and so offer the listener an increasingly more emotionally intense view of the refrain.

To explain what I mean, I’ll use Pat Pattison’s concept of lyric boxes.

For me, the lyrics of “One True Heart” develop through two boxes as shown below.

Quote:
Section 1
Verse 1
I’m not good at romance but if you want a guy who is 100% sincere then “baby, I’m your man”.

Chorus 1
Given the lyrics of Verse 1, the listener’s interpretation of the chorus hinges on the guy’s sincerity and honesty; it resonates with these qualities. The second time the refrain is sung, at the end of Chorus 1, it reinforces the guy's sincerity and honesty.

Quote:
Section 2
Verse 2
I give you my word. I won’t let you down. “Baby, I’m your man”.

Chorus 2
From the perspective of Verse 2, the chorus now resonates with the guy’s conviction and promise and this adds to the guy’s sincerity and honesty developed in Verse 1. The refrain at the end of this second chorus, the fourth time it's been sung, magnifies the lead character's sincerity, honesty, conviction and promise.

So at the end of the second chorus, the refrain has been sung four times and it has been used to amplify increasingly more important personal traits of the lead guy. At no time does the repetition of the refrain sound over-used. This is powerful writing indeed!

TWO
The second thing that stood out to me was the way you used the third person perspective in a song that is written using the 'direct address' point of view. This was very clever and made me think “yes…. that’s DEFINITELY something that I’m going to try!”.

In the second verse, when you say…

Originally Posted By: floyd
but i can give you this man's word
i can give you this man's hand

… the guy talks about himself as if he is another character in the song.

To my ears, this added freshness to the lyrics as well as boosted their meaning. Moreover, the words used in these lines radiate with “wedding ceremony” where those getting married give their hands and make solemn promises. This is mighty writing and ratchets lyric intensity up a few notches. These lyrics come across as straightforward. Underlying them, however, there is precision and strategic complexity.

To my way of looking at songwriting, the above epitomises expert writing… it comes across as natural and simple yet, on analysis, it is crafted and skillfully woven into a fine tapestry of words, their meanings and the way they interact with listeners’ experiences.

As always, I really enjoyed what you brought along.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - I very much enjoyed your analysis of this song. You touch on the key aspects of what I believe make this song "work". It was, in fact, an effort to write a truly "simple love song" that "really sings" - meaning the melody write was an important part of this. This one happened quickly - one of those that "writes itself" and as the melody evolved it just seemed to "go where it needed to go". I've always enjoyed singing it - from a "singer's perspective"... it is always satisfying to hit that mark...

The use of the main phrase at the end of the verse and the chorus was "a happy accident". After I had done that, I, too, thought it unusual - but it seemed to work, so I quickly forgot about questioning it at all (or even wondering where else I might have heard it done)...

Thanks. Your thoughts on "One True Heart" truly gave me a smile!

tommyad #414019 05/18/17 01:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
A very beautiful song Floyd

I really like the way you created the build at several levels, including softening and strengthening. This further worked to give the song such great dimension.

Your choice of players is superb. They all played in time too smile

Very professionally written, performed and produced. Thanks for another excellent contribution.

Thanks, Trev... always appreciate you stopping by...

Originally Posted By: tommyad
"tender words and touching moments
don't come easy for a man like me"
Talk about getting to the essence of a song quickly! Those opening lines leave no doubt what this song is about. The style is right in your wheelhouse vocally and melodically. The piano sound is outstanding. Janice is impeccable on harmony. A fantastic ending that shows how advanced your Biab skill set is. There are no weak spots in the lyric and your production and mix are top level as always. I always enjoy what you post. You are just a great songwriter! Tom

Tom - I certainly appreciate such a nice review... it sounds very much like what I might say about your songs... so "right back atcha..." smile

90 dB #414215 05/19/17 09:05 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

Very traditional and beautiful country tune with great vocals and harmonies.
I will love the lyrics of " baby, i'm your man".
As Torrey said, you captured the heartfelt emotion of many, many men out there who have trouble saying what they feel with this one!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - thanks as always for your support...

Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Now...

Great job!

What he said. wink

Regards,

Lefty

Thanks, Lefty!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195