Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
I have a new computer with no speakers and rather than get plain old computer speakers I figured I should get my first pair of studio monitors. And I'd appreciate any recommendations based on the following criteria,

- They must be cheap! I am and the monitors need to be too! $300 for the pair is my top end.

- Obviously I'd love the highest quality possible!

- While I want to improve my mixing setup I am NOT planning to do ANY room treatments or special mounting of the monitors. I currently mostly use headphones and reference recordings. I view adding monitors as a slight improvement over that setup. I know you are supposed to position monitors a certain way and add treatments to the walls and all of that...but I am NOT going to do any of that! smile

- They need to double as regular computer speakers!

I may just buy a pair of KRK Rokit 5 because they come highly recommended and the black and yellow kinda soothes me! smile

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Veteran
Veteran
Check out the Mackie MR5 speakers. That's what I bought for my monitoring system. I paid $300 for the pair many years ago.

Sweetwater has them for $120 each. Mackie MR-5 LINK

They sound good and when used with a sub, you even have a really fat low end. However, the sub isn't needed, but it does make a nice case of ear candy.

Certainly worth a look.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/12/17 02:03 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
I love my Barry MS-40 Near Field Monitors. Under $200. They were recommended by our own Mac.

Donny

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MS40-BEHRINGER/dp/B000IKSIOM

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 05/12/17 02:57 AM. Reason: Added a link
Veteran
Veteran
I have an old version of M-audio's BX5 near field monitors and they are still working perfectly. They just fit in your budget. Note that I also use these for my computer speakers and are great for listening to music.

M-audio also has a less expensive version but I have no experience with them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--M-Audio--Active_Monitors

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I would say you cannot go wrong with the KRK 5's. Bud uses them (I believe) and has some of the cleanest, clearest mixes imaginable.

Musician's Friend sometimes put the silver one on sale (for $99 each) - in the Stupid Deal...

They are doing "Stupid Deal Of The HOUR" today - so you might watch all day (check each hour).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

They have a good price on the Tannoy Reveal 502 (on sale)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tannoy-reveal-502?src=3XBACR

(I do not know anything about them, personally, just pointing that out. Do your homework).

Good luck with your search....

Veteran
Veteran
The Behringer Studio 50USB are sold by the pair, accepts XLR, TRS AND USB (digital) inputs! Presently they are priced at about $150 (US) with free shipping through Sweetwater. 34 reviews and they have a 4.5 out of 5 rating.

+++ Studio 50 USB +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Why would you buy Behr when you can buy these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

Where they actually publish their specs? grin

Total Power 82W
Frequency Range 43Hz-24kHz
Crossover Frequency 1725Hz
Maximum Peak SPL 108 dB

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

I love their speakers! I have the bigger, 8" speakers. Beautiful for monitoring!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Where they actually publish their specs? grin

Total Power 82W
Frequency Range 43Hz-24kHz
Crossover Frequency 1725Hz
Maximum Peak SPL 108 dB

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

That's the PRICE EACH!

Donny

Veteran
Veteran
Yup, and they just squeak in with John's max price for the pair.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the shout out floyd and yes we do use Rokit 5's.

https://www.amazon.com/KRK-RP5-G2-Powered-Monitors/dp/B001ANZTCK

I remain impressed with their flat neutral response and FWIW if I get a mix to sound good on them it seems invariably to sound equally good on our much larger audio system. Guess that's the whole point smile

Bud

Apprentice
Apprentice
I had a pair of Behringer MS40 monitors. Horrible. So I upgraded to the KRK 5s Floyd mentioned about 2 years ago. Infinitely better. You need good monitors.

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

- They must be cheap! I am and the monitors need to be too! $300 for the pair is my top end.

JBL LSR305

Highest reviewed monitor at Sweetwater (I need some myself).

Rick

BIAB 2016/2017 Everything
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
" While I want to improve my mixing setup I am NOT planning to do ANY room treatments or special mounting of the monitors. I currently mostly use headphones and reference recordings. I view adding monitors as a slight improvement over that setup. I know you are supposed to position monitors a certain way and add treatments to the walls and all of that...but I am NOT going to do any of that! smile"

Well, I understand the sentiment, but please consider trying as much of the above as possible. Otherwise just continue mixing on your headphones - you will get more accurate frequency balance if your headphones are relatively flat response. Save yourself the money of spending anything on monitors if you outright refuse to do any of the above.

Your statement "I currently mostly use headphones and reference recordings. I view adding monitors as a slight improvement over that setup." is only true if you take the effort to remove room modes on the low end of things, and comb filtering on the high end, then your view will very likely end up wrong and headphones are very possibly a better option.

-Scott

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Otherwise just continue mixing on your headphones...

Just a different perspective... I disagree with this...

I mix in headphones (ATH-M40fs) for most of a mix. Until everything "gets in place". BUT... once I am satisfied with that, I listen through monitors (Yorkville YSM-1 through an Alesis RA-100). The mix always gets better - generally, it is subtle - sometimes, "less than subtle". When I then go back to the headphones, it is improved enough to notice. I do not have a "treated" room. I have a 2-panel sliding glass door...a hardwood floor (with no covering). There is a wall hanging - a 3X5 rug, handmade by my wife (hooked yarn), which, no doubt absorbs something... and there is a whole bunch of crap... bookcases filled with books and CDs and old equipment and who-knows-what...

I believe taking the time to mix using monitors is... time well spent...

Veteran
Veteran
I agree; I couldn't even consider calling a mix done without my monitors.
I can do a LOT of the mixing work in headphones (percentage/time wise) but I know it is not done without using the monitors.

I will say, it may take a while (maybe even months) to really learn your new monitors.
Once you get that one thing, it becomes a lot easier.
Grab that favorite CD, the one that sounds good in your car and in your living room. Play it through your monitors a lot; listen. Get to know your monitors. Once they are your friend you will trust them.

Headphones can get you really close, but I have learned to trust my monitors. If it sounds 'off' using my monitors (a well known reference), it will sound 'off' elsewhere as well.

Quote:
if I get a mix to sound good on them it seems invariably to sound equally good on our much larger audio system.
(Bud)

Yep, that's exactly the point; once you can trust your monitors things become much easier.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
It all depends on the acoustics of the room. Some of what you listed is actually quite good acoustic treatment; particularly the books-a time honored way to disperse reflections. Unless the books are all the same size, the various sizes reflect high frequencies in different directions and can kill off flutter echos.

Veteran
Veteran
We use these to deal with flutter echos:

Regards,

Bob

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
" While I want to improve my mixing setup I am NOT planning to do ANY room treatments or special mounting of the monitors. I currently mostly use headphones and reference recordings. I view adding monitors as a slight improvement over that setup. I know you are supposed to position monitors a certain way and add treatments to the walls and all of that...but I am NOT going to do any of that! smile"

Well, I understand the sentiment, but please consider trying as much of the above as possible. Otherwise just continue mixing on your headphones - you will get more accurate frequency balance if your headphones are relatively flat response. Save yourself the money of spending anything on monitors if you outright refuse to do any of the above.

Your statement "I currently mostly use headphones and reference recordings. I view adding monitors as a slight improvement over that setup." is only true if you take the effort to remove room modes on the low end of things, and comb filtering on the high end, then your view will very likely end up wrong and headphones are very possibly a better option.

-Scott

Thanks, but as I said, I will NOT be doing any room treatments! smile I have been very satisfied with headphone mixing using known references of music/artists/productions I enjoy. After I "finish" a mix I then test it on several systems including my car and home stereo and sometimes I'll stop in the Best Buy to demo it on their systems! I also send it to a few trusted music friends who tend to be VERY critical...er...honest with me!

Adding monitors will provide me with another reference point and hopefully help me improve my mixes further. This is a hobby for me and the room I use will always need to be very multi-purpose and shared with other family members. If I hit the lottery maybe I'll build a sound booth!

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
HUGE THANKS to everyone who offered their advice! It is so nice to be able to pop in here and get such great information and informed opinions!

I think I am going to choose between the JBL LSR305s and the KRK Rokit RP5 G2s. Based on the comments here and the reviews everywhere I think I cannot go wrong with either of those. I am tempted to get the Behringers because I am cheap but I worry about the quality and consistency of their products. I own a couple of their products and had lots of problems until I got one replaced and then it was great but still worries me it will fail.

So thanks again and I'll report what I get and whether or not it improves my mixes! laugh

Veteran
Veteran
I had strong reservations about buying Barrys because they have a long-standing reputation as ripoff artists, even to the point of copying a Mackie circuit board and getting successfully sued by Greg.

Mac assured me that they've gotten better or I wouldn't have ordered the MS-40s. They have suited my purpose.

Caveat emptor.

Donny

Expert
Expert

While I want to improve my mixing setup I am NOT planning to do ANY room treatments

Thanks, but as I said, I will NOT be doing any room treatments!

You say the above 2 times, but you also say this....

- Obviously I'd love the highest quality possible!

You can NOT have it both ways, and that is reality. Now, you can get a setup where it is best for YOU, and churn out mixes that YOU are happy with all day long, but buying the "highest quality possible" $300 speaker will just get ya a decent speaker in a room.

A cheaper route would be this setup from Parts Express..

Speakers, $60 a pair, Ribbon tweeter, Acoustic Suspension....

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

Power Amp, 4x40watts, Lots of features for a home setup.....

https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-269fs-4x45w-mini-amplifier-with-remote-usb-mp3-media-card-fm-and-bluetooth-antenna--310-304

I have been using this setup for 3 weeks now, with great results. Of course this is in a treated room, something you refuse to do, but the speakers are solid no matter what.....they are not as low end as you might want / think.

Good Luck! cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199