Print Thread
Go To
#366099 09/19/16 05:20 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Peeps,

So I have been studying about loudness and loudness meters, and LUFS and all that stuff and even have the meters (IK Mastering Console, ToneBoosters EU Levels Meters, etc.) But I am still confused.

They keep talking about -24 LUFS being "the norm" for broadcast and even have screen shots. (See below)

But when I run any modern song through one of these--Let's say Glen Campbell's latest--just to be on the "milder side", it is WAY out of that -24 range and totally in the red.

The only tune I could find in my library that shows up as -24 LUFS is an Audrey Hepburn tune Moon River from that old movie and that is just kind of a thin blue strip of a .wav, hardly what you see today. I.E. it is SOFT.

So, I guess my question is how are you you supposed to master at -24 LUFS and get anything anywhere near modern sounds if Audrey Hepburn is the reference?

I know I am ignorant, but I am totally confused.

http://transom.org/2015/the-audio-producers-guide-to-loudness/

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Toneboosters-EBU-meter_PS-390x644.jpg (43.5 KB, 153 downloads)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P.S.

Here are the charts from an acoustic song I am about to post that goes to -24 sometimes, but is mostly at -15. (LUFS). It has a nice, well balanced acoustic sound.

Is it necessary to force it to never go above -24 and if so under what circumstances??

Also, is that a tool you can use to "gate" it at that level and normalize to LUFS (the broadcasters must have one) and if so, what is that tool. I know how to limit or gate in dbs, but this seems to be talking about a completely different standard.

Thanks!!

(See attachment LUFS 1 as well).

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
LUFS 1.png (824.45 KB, 9 downloads)
LUFS2.png (412.25 KB, 147 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
You have Audrey Hepburn singing Moon River in your library?

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I KNEW you were going to say that Herb. I KNEW it.

Yes, my wife Gayle sings it in our repertoire and I have it for us to practice. Also, I happen like it myself. I also like Judy Garland singing Somewhere over the Rainbow if you don't mind.

Thanks for the feedback on the question.

Catch you later.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

Thank you for posting this. I have never stumbled across LUFS before and since your post, I've been doing a bit of homework. It's definitely something worth getting a handle on.

I found the below video by Ian Shepherd an excellent presentation on understanding how peak, RMS, integrated loudness and LUFS correlate. The video is 19 minutes long and it was time really well spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31zHqzjRn4c

From the Youtube clip, it seems that many of today's songs will have a LUFS around -11. Since, according to the video, -23 integrated loudness is the required value for broadcasting, a piece of music that has an engineered value of -11 will be turned down by 12dB (the difference between -11 and -23) at the time of broadcasting.

As a comparison, the video clip also says that a piece of classical music that has an integrated loudness of less than -23 will be lifted up to -23 at broadcasting.

My overall, still-early-days-novice take on this is that the -24 LUFS that you mention is not necessarily an audio level that sound engineers strive to achieve when mixing and mastering, it's what they strive to achieve when adjusting audio for broadcasting as radio or TV.

Thanks for starting me on a new journey!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
What are you feeding into the meter? If you have movie sound tracks I'm thinking you are using digitized media of some type and there's no way to know how the audio is already compressed. Without a reference tone for each recording you feed the meter, there's simply no way to know the provenance of the audio.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes Noel there is quite a lot to learn. I will write more later, but your post is spot on--except I think they are taking more about the news standard of "loudness unit" gating and not db reduction, per se. But your numbers are accurate in the RMS realm, and I guess we leave it up to broadcasters to do their thing should we get so lucky.

There is SO much to learn. If you click on the attachment on the first post you will see a meter strip that is very helpful to me to improve dynamics, presence, and perceived loudness. I am learning from engineers that you have to set the vocals precisely first, then gradually add in other stuff, keeping an eye on ALL meters, to see which instrument suddenly flips the switch and throws the mix out of whack. It can be as simple as a bright acoustic pushed too high--or anything. One misstep and you lose control of the dynamics.

Quite fascinating actually.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You are absolutely right. I was just talking about overall loudness, really, and how many different standards there are now for what is loud, and how many "numbers" are supposed to be the ruling number.

I think Noel's reply cut to the core--but I still have much more reading and experimenting to do.

Thanks for the reply.

Veteran
Veteran
David,

I see that you are using the TB_EBULoudness_V3 plugin. I downloaded that one, too. It's pretty good.

If you're interested, there's one called MLoudnessAnalyzer from Melda Production.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MLoudnessAnalyzer

It's excellent and has both VU scales as well as graphs (which I like). It's completely free and comes bundled with a pot-potpourri of plugins that are a mixture of free and limited trial. When installing, it's not necessary to install all plugins. It's possible to simply choose those that are of interest. (I only selected the Loudness Analyzer.)

I can tell that this journey is going to be exciting! I look forward to where it takes me. If I come across anything really eye/ear-opening, I'll post it in this thread.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Also, Ozone 7 Advanced comes with Insight. It's a metering suite that comes with a meter that shows the LUFS stuff referenced in the original post.

Insight

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Steve!

Veteran
Veteran
David,

Just recently I found out a little more about LUFS...

According to sound enthusiasts and sound engineers on the 'net, these days it seems that Youtube, iTunes, Spotify are making use of LUFS when it comes to processing audio uploads. The values give are usually in the vicinity of

• Youtube = -14 LUFS
  • Spotify = -12 LUFS
  • iTunes = -16 LUFS

While -23 LUFS is the level agreed on for radio broadcasting, for user audio preparation, the rule of thumb is that the value with the greatest negative magnitude will have most dynamics and the value with the lowest negative magnitude will have a more compressed/limited sound (i.e. -16 LUFS will offer more dynamics in the performance than -10 LUFS). This is additional to any compression or limiting that is present in the pre-LUFS-adjusted track.

The below article offers some insight into various settings.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124442

The good news is that it's not necessary to understand how LUFS works to be able to use it. All that is required is to...

• Determine what suitable LUFS value the audio should be adjusted to (e.g -14).

• Adjust it to that value.

• It is not necessary to adjust a track to the broadcast value of -23. Should a track be picked up for broadcasting, the studio will adjust the track's level accordingly.

When using Soundcloud (which doesn't seem to optimise uploaded audios), if all tracks are adjusted to near the same LUFS value, the tracks will sound relatively uniform. Thus, as a listener plays through the tracks, they will not need to adjust the volume control excessively.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Should a track be picked up for broadcasting, the studio will adjust the track's level accordingly.

This has been my experience on every radio station where my music was played. They set the gain and compress the life out of it, no matter what.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,112
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185