Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#414541 - 05/21/17 06:39 PM [User Showcase] SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Hi Forum friends. Here is a silly song about my favorite subject: retirement. That has been my favorite subject since the day I started working. I never got the mix to sound quite right but here it is anyway. I'd love to hear what you think. I'll post the lyrics very soon. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/how-lifes-supposed-to-be

#414542 - 05/21/17 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

THE WAY LIFE’S SUPPOSED TO BE

Started thinkin’ about my golden years
The style of life I’d like to grow accustomed to
Went down to talk to this finance guy
To ask him what it is I should do

He started talkin’ equities, annuities, securities, I said “help me please”
I handed him my papers and he took a little look and said
“I’ve got some good news for you”

I said “Yeah?”

He said

The sun still shines down on the poor side of the town
It don’t take money to appreciate a joke
You can’t lose a fortune that you never even had
And it’s healthier to be too poor to smoke
I once read where this wise man said
“The best things in life are free”
So get your pleasure from the flowers and playin’ with the kids
That’s how life’s supposed to be

I said, “Wait a minute, wait”

Let’s not give up on the plan so fast
Retirement should be my best years yet
He said I could give up the booze and my indulgences
See what kind of second job I could get
Sock it all away in a 401K
I could be flush in only ten or fifteen years
He said, “tell me man, what do you think of my plan?”
I said my future’s now abundantly clear

He said “How’s that?”

I said, the sun still shines….

Cause it’s the little things, the simple things, the basic joys that living brings
I’ll find my pleasure in the flowers…

#414547 - 05/21/17 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: West coast
chulaivet1966 Offline
Journeyman

This is a good write all around.
Vocal is up front and delivered well, lyrically, along with the minimalist music. (which rarely works for me :))
I'm only on a laptop now and couldn't hear any defined bass line as in maybe a stand-up bass.....just an observation only
That lazy horn line on the vamp works well too.

Not a genre I have any knowledge about but you did a fine job on this one.

Carry on....
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?78446-chulaivet1966

#414551 - 05/21/17 07:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Greg,

This is a fun change from the other songs I`ve heard by you.
The lyrics tell a good story (I hope the news from your advisor wasn`t that bad!) and you got the style and tone just right on the vocals - nice chorus parts too.
I think I can hear a bass line, but it seems far back,otherwise I liked your backing and especially the tuba (if that`s what it is).

Robert

#414576 - 05/22/17 01:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Greg,

Loved it! Great set of lyrics - beautifully sung (and spoken) great stuff.

Peter

#414580 - 05/22/17 03:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Greg,

The lyrics tell a good story (I hope the news from your advisor wasn`t that bad!) and you got the style and tone just right on the vocals - nice chorus parts too.
I think I can hear a bass line, but it seems far back,otherwise I liked your backing and especially the tuba (if that`s what it is).

Robert

We think Robert had this right. Great song - loved it! Great vocal over a super vocal.

You had asked what we thought about the mix. The only thing we noticed was that it sounded as though the tuba had some reverb on it. If so, perhaps back off of that just a bit. If no reverb on the tuba, ignore that - our 70 year-old ears sometimes are a little out of adjustment.

I've (Alan) been retired a little over 10 years. Di has been medically retired since 1996 - 100% disabled. It's nice making out your own calendar/agenda. But, it's easy to lose track of the days! Almost every day's a weekend!!!

Great fun here. loved the song! Best to you ...

Alan & DI

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#414613 - 05/22/17 05:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Greg, This is outstanding. New Orleans style, laid back easy delivery. It sounds like a Randy Newman Co-write. I believe he would have been proud to be a part of this one. Fabulous lyrics and vocal. What's not to like in this wonderful listen and look into your current state of mind. A superb piece of art. Tom

#414621 - 05/22/17 06:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Super vocal Greg. Loved the tune Greg. Retirement has been sneaking into my thought allot more frequently lately. Well done

#414625 - 05/22/17 06:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Greg, this is another fabulous write from you.

I really like the 'unexpected' stops and the overall tacit delivery on 'how life is supposed to be'.

The fading horn at the end made all the right statements too.

A great write, and an excellent delivery too.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#414636 - 05/22/17 07:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Online   content
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I was thinking Randy Newman, but I see Tom beat me to it smile A fun listen!

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#414637 - 05/22/17 07:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
I think that this such a clever write

and wonderfully performed

and how appropriate for all of us old geezers here

lots of humor, lots of truth and wisdom

very cool song Greg, enjoyed the listen

Kenny

#414672 - 05/22/17 11:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Greg, This is outstanding. New Orleans style, laid back easy delivery. It sounds like a Randy Newman Co-write. I believe he would have been proud to be a part of this one. Fabulous lyrics and vocal. What's not to like in this wonderful listen and look into your current state of mind. A superb piece of art. Tom

Tom hit all the salient points...

DRIPPING Newman!

Phenomenal write. Clever and tight.

The “help me please” after "equities, annuities, securities" was off-the-charts good.

The perfect instrumentation. Wonderful vocal. And fun!

Great listen.

fj

#414726 - 05/22/17 06:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
This is great Greg!! Most of us regular folk can relate to this one. For some reason I was thinking Jim Croce in this one, which is a compliment to any song writer! Thanks, Torrey

#414762 - 05/23/17 04:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

The key word here is clever. I totally enjoyed this song. From the soft easy vocal delivery to the trumpet at the end.

And some sage advice in there too.

It's something that I have been contemplating.... as I have reached the "official" retirement age..... I have to wonder if I even wish to retire at this point because I still enjoy getting up and going out to help people solve their issues and concerns.

Back to the song..... loved it.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#414958 - 05/24/17 01:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: chulaivet1966]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
This is a good write all around.
Vocal is up front and delivered well, lyrically, along with the minimalist music. (which rarely works for me :))
I'm only on a laptop now and couldn't hear any defined bass line as in maybe a stand-up bass.....just an observation only
That lazy horn line on the vamp works well too.

Not a genre I have any knowledge about but you did a fine job on this one.

Carry on....

Thanks so much for the kind words. I think the bass is a bit quiet. Appreciate the listen and comments! Take care. Greg

#414962 - 05/24/17 01:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
chulaivet1966 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Thanks so much for the kind words. I think the bass is a bit quiet. Appreciate the listen and comments! Take care. Greg

Well...my comment was subjective. smile
You may hear the bass fine on your end.

It's that style you chose.
For some reason as soon I heard it I was expecting s smooth stand up bass line.

Well done all around....

Edited by chulaivet1966 (05/24/17 01:46 PM)
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?78446-chulaivet1966

#414973 - 05/24/17 02:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Hi Greg,
very nice song, well sung as usual.
Excellent chord line; a very gentle song.

Also for me retirement is the favourite subject, but unlucky I have to work for other 10 years about.
A life...

Sergio

#415147 - 05/25/17 07:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Robertkc]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Greg,

Robert

Thanks Robert. Much appreciated! The bass is pretty soft. Yeah, I enjoy the dixieland band in BIAB and decided to have a little fun with it. You've been posting a lot of great stuff lately! Take care. Greg

#415301 - 05/26/17 09:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Aichi, Japan
animarorecords Offline
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Greg

As Robert said, this is a fun change from the other songs I've heard by you.
Something may happen to your living environment?
But still positive and your vocals are awesome ahead.
Dixieland style sound is also very fun.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#415312 - 05/26/17 11:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: SONG REPOST: How life's supposed to bt [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Greg,

This is stunning. I really, really liked it. Great humour, great instrumentation, perfect arrangement and terrific vocals made it a listening pleasure from beginning to end. This is very creatively made and put together. You've done a superb job.

I'm with floyd on the "Help me please" line... brilliant!

All the best,
Noel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox

Today is National Jukebox Day! To celebrate, you could purchase a Jukebox... OR just access the JukeBox feature in Band-in-a-Box®!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® JukeBox do?

Using the directory you choose, the JukeBox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your JukeBox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, and more!

To learn more about the JukeBox feature in Band-in-a-Box®, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual, here.

Article: The History of Play-A-Long (and More)

We came across this JazzTimes article, published today, called The History of Play-A-Long (and More), which highlights how technology has "blown the options for interaction music education wide open" in the last 50 years - and they mention Band-in-a-Box®!

Check it out! Click here to read...

Band-in-a-Box® - Freezing Tracks

Like what you hear in Band-in-a-Box®? Make sure to Freeze the track(s) or song! Once frozen, it won't be regeneraged or change when you play it again - and your choice isn't final, since you can unfreeze them just as easily:
-press the blue snowflake button within the track name of the mixer window
-press the blue snowflake button within the expanded toolbar of the program (Ctrl + T will swap between the two toolbar views), and select the track(s)

Note: If you want to force Band-in-a-Box® to generate tracks without adjusting the Freeze settings, hold down the Shift key as you press the [Generate and Play] button (the fly-by hint will remind you of that) or choose the menu command Play | Play Special | Generate (even if tracks are frozen).

To learn more about freezing your Band-in-a-Box® tracks or songs, visit Chapter 5: Playing Songs | Freezing tracks of our Online Manual.

With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

Forum Stats
28238 Members
58 Forums
54377 Topics
453781 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Keyboarder, WIlf, BasilH, Kal-Birdman, Aud10

28238 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 175
Noel96 174