Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
http://www.waves.com/plugins/codex#codex-synth-in-depth-tutorial

This is a really good deal. I just purchased it for $21.90 USD.

http://everyplugin.com/codex-wavetable-synth.html

$21.90 at Everyplugin with code DK39S

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Yep great deal.

Waves have a sale on all the plugins compressors.reverbs.limiters,

I've purchased a few over the past week and you get a free demo of any you want.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mario (or anyone), could you offer a comment on the quality of this versus any other inexpensive softsynth we might know, such as Coyote Forte?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
MarioD

Please I'm trying to trample your excellent find, or change subject, but just as info if you really like analog and wavetable synths (like the the Waves synth) then you may want to look at

http://www.kv331audio.com/synthmasterone.aspx

NOTE: THIS ONE IS NOT ON SALE (right now).

I have both it and it's older sibling Synthmaster and you can get those low teeth rattling Andromeda sounds as well as full spectrum analog sounds (wish I had bought an Andromeda but I was not into analog synths when it was available - kick my self in butt!)

I will be jumping on this Waves version as well so thanks for pointer

Larry

PS the KV331 synths have demo versions and sales once in a while

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 06/15/17 08:29 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Larry,

I also have Synthmaster and when synthmaster one goes on sale again I will probably get it.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
the cross grade (from Synthmaster) price is $29 without a sale

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Mario (or anyone), could you offer a comment on the quality of this versus any other inexpensive softsynth we might know, such as Coyote Forte?

Coyote Forte is primarily a General Midi playback module. Calling it a synth is not quite accurate.

Codex is wavetable synthesizer. No mention of General Midi whatsoever. Hard to make a comparison.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Point taken, thanks. How about sound quality?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I now remember why I haven't had Waves before (besides the minor hoop jumping)

Yes, great. Codex IS A HOOT so far but it (and all Waves plug ins) get a lot of "style points" deducted since the user (ME) has zero (zip, nada, zilch) control over installation, even less than my recent rant on Sonar stuff.

100% on C:\. So both the Waves Central (aka the Waves "manager") and whatever Waves products you install are summarily dumped on the C drive, so it's "wham bam thank ya ***" without so much as a "by your leave."

Yes, the VST dll's can be moved (see Waves web site - it's trivial to do even for the PC novice) but that still leaves more stuff on the C: drive than you are moving.

I'll play with it and try to get it ALL moved off to another drive, will try alias's first before mucking with registry and other "techniques."

Not a complaint about MarrioD's pointing everyone to a great bargain - and kudo's for that

Just info for new Waves users to be aware of

Larry

PS ALSO you must be connected to WEB to use, or MOVE the license(s) to a USB drive so you can stay off-line

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 06/16/17 06:15 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
MarioD

Apologies I didn't mean to hi-jack your simple "heads-up" post.

I've been off my meds lately

Larry

Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Larry

No problem and it is not highjacking. Information like this can be vital to some users. I have a large C drive so I really don't care what is added. However others with SSD can have a problem so it is great that you gave them a heads up.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R

Waves belongs to the top tier of plugin providers. Sound quality is assuredly top shelf as well. The question is mainly if you have time to learn how to program the synth and if it fits the style of music you want to record. This is a wavetable synthesizer not unlike the Ensoniq VFX and SQ1 synths from the late 80s and early 90's but with much more signal routing and modulation options.

It looks like it might take some dedication to learn how to program it with aplomb

Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Waves belongs to the top tier of plugin providers. Sound quality is assuredly top shelf as well. The question is mainly if you have time to learn how to program the synth and if it fits the style of music you want to record. This is a wavetable synthesizer not unlike the Ensoniq VFX and SQ1 synths from the late 80s and early 90's but with much more signal routing and modulation options.

It looks like it might take some dedication to learn how to program it with aplomb

The sound quality is excellent.

Also there are many presets included so even if you don't want to program new sounds there are a ton of patches available to keep you busy for a long time.

Yes there will be a long learning curve if you want to get into the nuts and bolts of the program. I'll just use the presets and MIDI learn a knob or two if I want to change sound variations during a song.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mario. Thanks for this.

Beginner question warning!

How does it compare to Dimension Pro (which I already have). Do I need both? I find the guitars not so nice in dimension pro? Are there some nice guitar sounds in this?
Look forward to hearing from you.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne

If I may jump in here

It is not that kind of synth: it is NOT like Dim Pro, Kontakt, SampleTank, Coyote Forte, or 98'ish% of external HW synths you might have played with or run across.

Its more like Rapture Pro WITHOUT the Dim Pro libs, actually IT IS LIKE Cakewalks z3ta synth

Its more "electronica", mood (pads), virtual analog, etc. It can do IT has it's own ARP and manipulates waves (hence "wavetable") by modulating them and difference the modulated waves

here's a little over one minute overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL3en2OlcDk

it's a synth for "tweakers" and geeks and folks that dig into all their synths to tweak and program their own sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA_Exa_B_Fs

but it is (or can be) fun and very instructive in terms of how you think about the analog audio spectrum (the waves), waveform types (sine, pulsed, triangular, etc.), how they can interact, how filters can affect sound, and other geeky things

There are a lot of Youtubes that show you and demo some of it

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 06/18/17 06:37 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
thanks for the explanation Larry

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joanne, I sent you an email.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Folks, this plugin is an actual synthesizer, not a sample playback module. I will disagree with Larry in that this IS much more like a hardware synthesizer. This forum is one of the only music generating focused forums where this confusion about what a synthesizer is seems to exist. The list of modules that Larry listed above are not typically referred to as synthesizers. Rather, they are more often called General Midi playback modules, ROMplers, substitutes for keyboard "workstations", etc, with the purpose being primarily sound simulations of the General Midi instrument list. Synthesizers on the other hand have a rather different purpose, to create sounds that perhaps haven't been heard before, using a variety of source oscillators and signal processing to create a sound. Sometimes this might sound like a familiar sound like a piano or trumpet, violin, guitar, etc but with synthesizers more often than not it is not the goal to try to duplicate some acoustic instrument or known electrified instrument. Some hardware allows for both simulated as well as synthesizer sounds, for example my Casio XW-P1 has both a sample based GM capable sound engine but also a mono lead synth sound engine as well as a hardware emulation of the Hammond drawbar organ way of generating sound.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195