Print Thread
Go To
#418969 06/23/17 10:36 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
G
OP Offline
G
Hello folks,

I'm thinking of getting BIAB, how easy can I use it with Reaper for creating my own music?

Thank

Phil

GMC_Phil #418985 06/23/17 02:48 PM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
There's no one correct answer to your question. Lot's of folks that post here on the forum use Reaper with Band in a Box tracks. Creating BIAB backing tracks can be as easy as inputting the chords to your song, selecting a key that fits your voice if you are singing, setting a tempo that plays the song at the right speed, choosing a style you like and generating a complete backing track. Those tracks are easily exported from BIAB to Reaper for further processing.

How easy all this is for you is completely dependent on how proficient you are with BIAB and Reaper. Both programs have many advanced features that can add to the level of complexity in producing your own music.

The best I can tell you is to buy BIAB and try it out. You'll have access to the forum to help you along with both BIAB and Reaper.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
GMC_Phil #418991 06/23/17 04:17 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Phil,

Welcome to the forums.

Charlie has nailed it!

I'm a Reaper user and if you go to the Soundcloud link in my signature below, you'll be taken to my little pocket of Soundcloud. All songs there have started in BIAB and finished in Reaper. BIAB is where I develop the arrangement and find the tracks and the groove I like. I then load the audio tracks into Reaper and: (a) record vocals; (b) mix the tracks.

Between BIAB and Reaper, I often use Realband (which comes with the Windows version of BIAB) as a stepping stone. This is not absolutely necessary but, because it interfaces with BIAB technology and backing generation, it's become part of my process. If you get the Windows version of BIAB, Realband is automatically included at no extra charge.

Lastly, PG Music offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. With that in mind, why not buy the Pro or Megapak (these are easily downloaded and installed) and try out the technology. Then, if you like what you hear, you can consider whether to stay with what you have or upgrade it to a larger package using the 30-day money-back option.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
GMC_Phil #419021 06/24/17 04:23 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GMC_Phil
Hello folks,

I'm thinking of getting BIAB, how easy can I use it with Reaper for creating my own music?

Thank

Phil

Good advice....but....I don't think we have enough information to give advice.

To the O.P.:

What is your level of experience with computer recording in general? Are you adept at Reaper? Do you expect to learn Reaper and BIAB simultaneously?

Are you 'creating your own music' currently? What is your level of musical knowledge? Any Theory? If we had some idea of where you are we could better advise you.

Please note:

Deficiencies in any of these skills are not an obstacle to using BIAB. There are people using the program who never wrote a song in their lives until they got BIAB. Some have been writing for years.

There is no other program like BIAB, so if you do jump in......hang on.....and have fun!

Regards,

Bob

GMC_Phil #419026 06/24/17 06:11 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Not too loud, please. Reaper and BIAB in combination are one of our best kept secrets. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

GMC_Phil #419045 06/24/17 09:36 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I'm learning to play guitar. I don't have chance to get to a teacher so I'm a member of www.guitarmasterclass.net which is basically the next best thing.

They have Creativity Workshops and I want to make my entries more complete. We are given a picture to inspire us to create something, it can be one note, one chord, or an entire song.

Here are some examples of my pieces. As I said, I'm learning and am slowly improving my mixing techniques and EQ stuff. It's a lot to learn but I'm enjoying it. I'm 51 years old so learning doesn't come quick.

This was played on a 7 string guitar and the bass string is too overpowering but it was a while ago and I think I could do better now. All sounds are from the guitar/fx.

All guitar again.

No explanation needed other than one of the tutors/mentors of GMC at the time was actually in the nightclub. He survived thankfully.

I found a backing track for this one. The playing is meant to be tired and weary. Wait for it. You should feel loss.

No introduction needed.

This is my latest. Families waiting to go into the circus while an evil clown is creeping up on them behind the trees that line the queue. I wanted some big drums for this but I don't have the skills.

So there you have an introduction to my skills or lack of them. I don't know much theory really, I use mainly pentatonic scales.

Will BIAB help me to understand theory?

Thanks for your help.

Phil

GMC_Phil #419105 06/24/17 04:39 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Phil,

In my opinion, BIAB can certainly help with the theory journey but it is not a program whose focus is designed to teach theoretical understanding. The program is performance orientated in that it's design is based on the creation of backing tracks.

If you want to learn theory, the best way to do that would be to hunt around on the internet (Youtube is a great source) for lessons.

The approach that I've used all my life is to delve into theory when I see or hear or read something that I don't understand. The internet makes this very easy these days. As a consequence of using this approach, I seem to have picked up a great deal over the years.

Have you any thoughts on what kind of theory you were wanting to know about? For example, the theory behind: chord construction; chord progressions; guitar positions; key signatures; notation; melody writing; etc.

The music you've created is certainly atmospheric.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Hello folks,

Thank

Phil

ReWire RealBand to Reaper with Chord Window

GMC_Phil #419163 06/25/17 04:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Will BIAB help me to understand theory?

Unless you have formal music training in your past or a unique God given talent, up until now you have only understood music based on what you HEAR - Only one sensory input.

BIAB can allow you to not only HEAR music, but it will also let you "SEE" music. BIAB will SHOW you the notes, the Chords, the Arrangements, the Progressions, the Intervals, the Tempo, the Key, the harmony and on and on. Enabling this dual sensory input permits you to ask and answer the question; "...how does all this stuff work?"

Therefore, YES. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #419172 06/25/17 06:43 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Great thanks,

I've actually got it now. I'm not sure how good it will be for rock though. I haven't really had time to delve yet.

Phil

GMC_Phil #419184 06/25/17 08:34 AM
Expert
Expert
Great thanks,I've actually got it now. I'm not sure how good it will be for rock though.

Personally....I'm a rock/blues-rock kind of writer and I find BIAB caters to my interest quite well.
If you're into metal (I'm not at all) I have no clue.

Have fun....it's a journey with this very cool program.

chulaivet1966 #419197 06/25/17 09:34 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I've had a look at it now, I'm not sure it's for me. For instance, I just had the default track playing and I selected the drum kit from the right hand menu.When I click on the drum I wanted, there was a delay, making it hard to place the beat.
I'm probably doing something wrong.
If I wanted to add drums to the "Evil Clown" track, how would I do it?

I think the software would be great but not really for my creativity workshops. It's more for writing complete songs I think.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

GMC_Phil #419199 06/25/17 09:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Any suggestions? Thanks

Since you asked...

I have been playing Guitar for 25 years and I still suck. It must be the guitars I buy. What is wrong with my guitars? My Guitars generally don't sound like other guitars I hear in concerts. Perhaps I should try a piano. Pianos seem to always sound good when people play them and they look easy.

BIAB is a bit like a musical instrument - it takes a long time to master and some will never because they simply lack the talent, time or dedication.

Or did you think Music Knowledge was something you could buy? If you thought it would be easy, send it back now within the 30 day period. Or buy a sax, I hear they are real easy to play or heck drummers only have to beat on things with sticks how hard can that be? crazy

As an after thought, I may have come across as a smart-[*****]. That was not my intention. I was just trying to make a point. BIAB is a tool. Only in the hands of a craftsman can the tool really achieve its purpose. And yes, it can be a steep learning curve so for someone in a hurry, best to move on. But if you are in this music thing for the long run, it is fantastic.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 06/25/17 10:28 AM.

GMC_Phil #419201 06/25/17 10:03 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Phil,

If you go to the link below, there are some videos that show how to use the many features of BIAB.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

These may help.

How I use BIAB is to enter a chord progression and then find the style and tracks that I like. I then export those tracks as audio files and load them in Reaper where I mix them and make them into a song. My audio files could be as simple as a single drum track or a collection of files for an instrumental group.

If you have a listen to some of my songs on Soundcloud (the link is in my signature below), you'll hear what I mean.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DrDan #419248 06/25/17 08:35 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks Musicstudent,

I fully understand what you are saying, guitar is a mountain to climb for most but I have improved more in the last 2 years than the previous 10 by joining guitarmasterclass but, I don't want a complicated program to hinder my practise.

I'll give it a few more days to see if I can feel it a bit more.I know music is a long term thing but at 51 I can't help but try to rush things blush

Thanks also to Noel and everyone else for your time and input smile

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by GMC_Phil; 06/25/17 08:38 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,682
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200