Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey, sometimes you just gotta get down and get heavy.

This started out as a sketch in Realband, but I had this riff in mind which I couldn't do with RTs, so I moved into Powertracks and played most of in the hard way. There's an acoustic rhythm RT left in, but most everything else got changed. The story-line might sound a trifle familiar?

DON'T YOU EVER (MESS WITH ME)
Just an evil Casanova, just a wolf that's on the prowl
He stalked the bars and discos and at night you'd hear him growl
That he was looking for a victim who was looking for a thrill
When he saw this girl up dancing, he moved in for the kill
Yes he did.

She was dressed from top to toe in a cloak of flaming red
And at the back was a little hood which she pulled up on her head
She looked so cute, she looked so sweet, as she danced the night away
But when she pulled the hood back, the wolf could hear her say
"Don't you ever, mess with me
No don't you ever, mess with me."

Oh he gave his heart away
Oh there's gonna be a price to pay

He danced up close beside her. then he reached and took her arm
He'd never seen a girl who could hold out against his charm
But Red was not the kind of girl who ever lost her head
She took his arm and twisted, til he howled and then she said
"Don't you ever mess with me
No don't you ever mess with me."

As usual, very grateful for anyone who has the time to listen.

Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW! Rog, this is a good example of the multi-layered projects I've come to expect and enjoy from you!

First of all, I like the way you seamlessly incorporate the elements of a fairy tale into a modern story. The elements works well in both environments.

I think what I like the most about this song is the way you incorporate hooky intros, outros and other accents. Most of us would be content to write a song that works at the basic level of chords plus lyrics, but you consistently find ways to expand the song to add a little more audio interest. Your songs are like an easter egg hunt, in which unexpected things keep showing up!

I also like the energy in this song. Maybe its the drums.. they always make me think of Genesis. I especially like the power that surfaces at 2:51. Chills.

You always manage to surprise and inspire me.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Guitar Rock!!!

hells yeah,

ever heard of Todd Rundgren?

love it, great storytelling and sense of humor

I very much enjoyed my listen Professor

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG!

Outstanding! What a great production - love the mix on this - everything fits so well. Great lyric and vocal as well. Killer guitars in this also - loved it!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Definitely multilayered and very cool!
Your vocals and background vocals shine once again.
Nice and rock-ish!

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one, Roger! Riff sounds familiar to me, but I can't place it. Maybe I just wish I wrote it :P

Very cool solo! And love that change up after the solo.

Loved everything about this, excellent!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hard to find a place to start with this one.

There's so much happening in a well textured and classy manner.

It's hard to believe that one fertile mind can sit down and produce all this himself. It really sounds like it took a studio room full of musicians, engineers and a producer.

Your workflow on something like this would be really interesting to watch.

And then to base it on a 10th century fairy tale - how cool is that!?

To top it all off your vocal and guitar performances are stellar!

Yeah, we liked it. A lot.

J&B

PS Janice was singing unison with your tag smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice one, Roger! Riff sounds familiar to me, but I can't place it.

It reminded me a little bit of the Black Crowes "HARD TO HANDLE"

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It really sounds like it took a studio room full of musicians, engineers and a producer.

Indeed it did! It amazes me that Rog can wear all those hats!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool intro reminded me of In the Midnight Hour by Wilson Pickett. Has the 60's vibe to it. Excellent vocal and backtrack. Guitar was super

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey, sometimes you just gotta get down and get heavy.

This started out as a sketch in Realband, but I had this riff in mind which I couldn't do with RTs, so I moved into Powertracks and played most of in the hard way. There's an acoustic rhythm RT left in, but most everything else got changed. The story-line might sound a trifle familiar?

DON'T YOU EVER (MESS WITH ME)
Just an evil Casanova, just a wolf that's on the prowl
He stalked the bars and discos and at night you'd hear him growl
That he was looking for a victim who was looking for a thrill
When he saw this girl up dancing, he moved in for the kill
Yes he did.

She was dressed from top to toe in a cloak of flaming red
And at the back was a little hood which she pulled up on her head
She looked so cute, she looked so sweet, as she danced the night away
But when she pulled the hood back, the wolf could hear her say
"Don't you ever, mess with me
No don't you ever, mess with me."

Oh he gave his heart away
Oh there's gonna be a price to pay

He danced up close beside her. then he reached and took her arm
He'd never seen a girl who could hold out against his charm
But Red was not the kind of girl who ever lost her head
She took his arm and twisted, til he howled and then she said
"Don't you ever mess with me
No don't you ever mess with me."

As usual, very grateful for anyone who has the time to listen.

Cheers, ROG.

Hello ROG, Thank you for sharing this with us. Really dig the progression and the vocals, the elements are nicely balanced. Well done!

Cheers,
Joe
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I love the imagery of Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf in this! laugh Very nice! Love how you worked it in.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG...

What a great listen!

Since everyone is playing the "sounds like game" on this one... I'd have to say Warren Zevon. Dripping Zevon, in fact... both the write and the production (and vocal).

Dig that snare. Awesome solos! (Dig the delays).

Nice ooohs! Cool beatlesque bridge...

The effect on the outro lyric is very cool!

A lot of "cool" went into this (and a lot of work, I imagine). Excellent mix - nice loud.

fj

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
WOW! Rog, this is a good example of the multi-layered projects I've come to expect and enjoy from you!

First of all, I like the way you seamlessly incorporate the elements of a fairy tale into a modern story. The elements works well in both environments.

I think what I like the most about this song is the way you incorporate hooky intros, outros and other accents. Most of us would be content to write a song that works at the basic level of chords plus lyrics, but you consistently find ways to expand the song to add a little more audio interest. Your songs are like an easter egg hunt, in which unexpected things keep showing up!

I also like the energy in this song. Maybe its the drums.. they always make me think of Genesis. I especially like the power that surfaces at 2:51. Chills.

You always manage to surprise and inspire me.

Hi Pat.
Many thanks for the listen and comprehensive review.
The guy who I watched and worked with in the early days taught me so much. He always tried to make each section of the song different in some small way, to keep people interested. He said it's what makes the difference between a demo and a professional production and when you listen to commercial tracks, you can see what he meant. It takes a lot of time and effort though, so it's great that you noticed and picked it out.
The drums? Yeah, Phil Collins and that legendary drum sound. I value that comparison more than you'll realise.
Once again, many thanks for looking in on this one - greatly appreciated.
Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Guitar Rock!!!

hells yeah,

ever heard of Todd Rundgren?

love it, great storytelling and sense of humor

I very much enjoyed my listen Professor

Kenny

Hi Kenny.
Todd Rundgren? Always been a massive fan, so many thanks for that.
Pleased you enjoyed it.
Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
ROG!

Outstanding! What a great production - love the mix on this - everything fits so well. Great lyric and vocal as well. Killer guitars in this also - loved it!

Bob

Hi Bob.
Thanks for the listen and all the nice comments - always appreciate feedback.
Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Definitely multilayered and very cool!
Your vocals and background vocals shine once again.
Nice and rock-ish!

Rob

Hi Rob.
Always pleased to hear your opinion and many thanks for the listen and kind wirds.
Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice one, Roger! Riff sounds familiar to me, but I can't place it. Maybe I just wish I wrote it :P

Very cool solo! And love that change up after the solo.

Loved everything about this, excellent!

Hi Dave.
It's funny, but I wrote that riff whilst jamming at our son's house. We both thought I'd stolen it from somewhere, so I recorded a section and uploaded it to our YouTube channel to see if it would produce a match. It didn't, so I just decided to run with it!
Hey, glad you liked the solo - I know you're a Tele man like myself, but I confess to using the Les Paul for that. Sometimes you just have to do that!
Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great production ROG and great guitar.

Well done man.

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hard to find a place to start with this one.

There's so much happening in a well textured and classy manner.

It's hard to believe that one fertile mind can sit down and produce all this himself. It really sounds like it took a studio room full of musicians, engineers and a producer.

Your workflow on something like this would be really interesting to watch.

And then to base it on a 10th century fairy tale - how cool is that!?

To top it all off your vocal and guitar performances are stellar!

Yeah, we liked it. A lot.

J&B

PS Janice was singing unison with your tag smile

Hi J&B.

Many thanks, you two, you really are too kind with your review.

About workflow? Ry Cooder once said that he'd spent 40 years looking for a groove. That simple comment made a great impression on me and now it's where my workflow always starts. I like to spend a lot of time with rhythm and the way the instruments interact, often just on a single chord before the chord sequence is established. After I'm happy with the groove and the progression, the melody follows and then all the bits of ornamentation. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I think the important thing is to know when to walk away and learn from your mistakes, rather than waste time trying to rescue something.

Anyway, so pleased you liked this one!

Cheers, ROG.

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
What a great sound!!! Really rocks! How did you get that big drum sound? Love the change from the rockin' guitar to the mellow, melodic part. One of your best, and that's saying something Rog!! Wonderful!! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,771
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191