Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a REALLY off-topic post...

I'm curious to know how many of you might have one of those Senior passes to the National Parks. If you have one, are you using it?

For anyone who doesn't already know, US citizens over 62 years of age can but a lifetime pass to the national parks. If the park charges admission, you get in for free. Camping fees are cut in half ... not sure if there are other benefits or not.

As I type this, these passes cost $10... but it's about to go up to $80. So if you want one but haven't bought it yet... now is the time to jump, before the price increases.

Not that $80 is a bad price either.. for a lifetime pass. but $10 is better.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow! That is GREAT info!

May I ask how that works? Is it a pass per person? That may sound like an odd question, but I know our state park here, it's per vehicle.

Also, do you know when the jump in price is going to happen?

Thanks Pat!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Unfortunately, I won't hit 62 until after the price goes up.

I don't have the National Park pass, but we do have the Gulf National Islands Seashore Pass ($30/year) which gets us into the federal beaches here in Pensacola and surrounding areas (just because it's cheaper than the the national pass, which is $80). But even for $80 when I turn 62, I'll be there to get mine when the time comes.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, I have had one for about 6 years now. I have only used it twice thus far but it is a must have if you are going to visit a National Park or two.

Heartolearn, the pass it good for one car. For example if you have a SUV and you have 8 people in it they all get in free if you are using the pass.

Also check your state information. Here in New York State if you are over 62 you get a free pass into any state park on Mondays through Fridays with holidays being the exception. All you have to do is to show your NYS driver's license and everyone in the car gets in free. On weekends and holidays you pay like everyone else.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow! That is GREAT info!

May I ask how that works? Is it a pass per person? That may sound like an odd question, but I know our state park here, it's per vehicle.

Also, do you know when the jump in price is going to happen?

Thanks Pat!

it's my understanding that where park admission is concerned, it's per vehicle. And of course, if you are renting a campsite, one rental works for however many people are sharing the tent or camper.

I don't have a date, but I've heard that it's imminent.

I just bought my pass last weekend, and the first place I tried , they were out. The lady at the desk said they didn't know when they'd have more, but it probably wouldn't be until the price goes up. So maybe when the last of the $10 passes are gone, everybody will get re-stocked with $80 passes?

(I'm projecting here, because that's what conspiracy theorists do.)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
For retirees who may want to take an extended road trip, it's a good way to traverse the continent and keep lodging costs under control... especially if you don't mind camping.

There are web sites that list all of the national parks by state, and it wouldn't be hard to plan an itinerary based on park hopping.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
Unfortunately, I won't hit 62 until after the price goes up.

whippersnapper. ;-)

Quote:
I don't have the National Park pass, but we do have the Gulf National Islands Seashore Pass ($30/year) which gets us into the federal beaches here in Pensacola and surrounding areas (just because it's cheaper than the the national pass, which is $80). But even for $80 when I turn 62, I'll be there to get mine when the time comes.

The $10 or $80 isn't per year.. it's a one-time fee that lasts the rest of your life.. and I'm guessing that the federal beaches might be included

I think its still a bargain at $80. At $10, one campsite rental pays for the pass. Even at $80, the pass could easily pay for itself in one season.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been eligible for 4 years but only got it last year, when we visited Cape Cod. Incredible bargain.

Ironically, we were in the water with our granddaughter for less than an hour when we were whistled out for sharks. Apparently this is a new thing there, with an increasing concentration of seals (bait).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the reminder, Pat. Just ordered it.

Had to then order a new amp to offset the "senior" thing, though...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
it's a one-time fee that lasts the rest of your life

Right, but until I hit 62, $80 is also the annual cost.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FYI...... National Parks owns the Arch and grounds here in St. Louis. That pass will get you in to the underground visiting area and trips to the top of the Arch viewing area.

St. Louis Gateway Arch

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I've been eligible for 4 years but only got it last year, when we visited Cape Cod. Incredible bargain.

Ironically, we were in the water with our granddaughter for less than an hour when we were whistled out for sharks. Apparently this is a new thing there, with an increasing concentration of seals (bait).

call me a conspiracy theorist... but I think "seals" is code for "retirees"

If the park system plays their hand right, the sharks could help to alleviate future social security shortfalls by thinning the herd...

In other words, the Senior cards could be the lure that brings the retirees to the sharks... or bears... whatever creatures are willing to work with the government...

(disclaimer: yes, I'm kidding)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
FYI...... National Parks owns the Arch and grounds here in St. Louis. That pass will get you in to the underground visiting area and trips to the top of the Arch viewing area.

St. Louis Gateway Arch

I'm sure a lot of us didn't know that! (I sure didn't!) Thanks for passing that bit of information on to the rest of us!

It would make a cool bucket list project to see all of the national parks.. for those of you who are also history buffs, a lot of historic battlefields come under the umbrella of the national park service.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Thanks for the reminder, Pat. Just ordered it.

Had to then order a new amp to offset the "senior" thing, though...

What?? No way you're eligible! I figured you had about 15 years to go yet...

(what amp did you buy? Enquiring minds and all that....)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here is the link to the USGS site that talks about it.

USGS America the Beautiful pass

If you happen to be a disabled veteran it is free forever. I got mine this year.

You young'uns are just going to have to pay!!!

These are links from the USGS site where the pass is honored.

Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
Fish and Wildlife Services
USDA Forest Service
National Park Service
US Army Corps of Engineers

Last edited by eddie1261; 07/05/17 01:23 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Some notes from their website...

"The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail or online is $20. $10 for the Senior Pass and $10 for processing the application...For all orders a $5.00 USD handling charge is applied."

"We are experiencing a major increase in Senior pass sales. Further information on changes to the Senior pass price and program will be coming soon."

"Online Senior passes are currently being processed within six weeks. Mail in Senior and Access pass applications are currently being processed within ten weeks."

"Please note that we do not expect changes to the Senior pass price or program within the next few months."

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you live near a state park you can get it by visiting in person. I went in with my DD214 and walked out in about 15 minutes with the pass and a bunch of paperwork about it.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
According to their website the passes are only available at federal locations on this list,

https://store.usgs.gov/sites/default/files/PassIssuanceList.pdf

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

call me a conspiracy theorist... but I think "seals" is code for "retirees"

If the park system plays their hand right, the sharks could help to alleviate future social security shortfalls by thinning the herd...

In other words, the Senior cards could be the lure that brings the retirees to the sharks... or bears... whatever creatures are willing to work with the government...

(disclaimer: yes, I'm kidding)

I know what it would be here ..
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/dnr_confirms_cougar_sighting_n.html

Funny thing is they keep referencing the 'Lower Peninsula', but this was near Lansing (state capital) pretty far south in the state.
There have been plenty of other sightings in the last few years in the Lower Peninsula, most further north (including one from a major zoo curator), and the response from the DNR has been to deny cougars being here in MI. It's kind of hard to deny this one.
<grin>
sorry for the hijack, that said (and to be more on the subject) we do have an abnormally large amount of 'National Forests' here but our National Parks are generally out of the normal path of travel. We have really nice ones, but you have to be aiming for them to find them.
/Best timed to avoid the winter, like everything else around here

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

sorry for the hijack,

what? you can't hijack a stream of consciousness thread! They're SUPPOSED to morph into an endless array of other topics!

(The way I see it, OFF TOPIC forum is the modern equivalent of a general store's porch full of rocking chairs that attracts old men with stories to tell. )

Regarding the photo of the cougar, I was half expecting to see something with a red dress and a mixed drink. (I wonder how the owners of that mailbox felt about the photo...?)

Quote:
that said (and to be more on the subject) we do have an abnormally large amount of 'National Forests' here but our National Parks are generally out of the normal path of travel. We have really nice ones, but you have to be aiming for them to find them.
/Best timed to avoid the winter, like everything else around here

Bucket list!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,565
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200