Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
HI ALL
Just wondering what setting you folks use as your default INSERTED NOTE DURATION. I believe the normal default is set to 80%,
This is adjustable in options / notation / more
This results in all notes being slightly shorter than their written notation value

No problem for short notes but a whole note at 80% is only 3 beats and 22 ticks that’s nearly a beat short! If you say tie two whole notes together you will finish up with a note just over 7 beats

I realise that you can change this after in the piano roll or by right click note edit
Or even for the whole song in MLODY / EDIT MELODY TRACK / QUANTIZE /HUNANIZE LEGATO%

Just wondered if anyone had hit on a golden all time default setting.
I guess if you don’t use a lot of long notes and use piano it's no prob, but I would have thought with instruments like sax or any wind or string part it was quite important ,
Is there a default legato insert mode ??? cant find one.
Your thoughts appreciated,
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
I like this post. I'm always intrigued when there is a question about something that's been assumed for a long time.

The default 80% has been fine for me for 25 years with no trouble. Yes, I sometimes adjust individual notes as you mentioned, but for a typical whole note, I am pretty happy with the default on horns and I use trumpet/alto or tenor sax on most tunes. [I do use a pretty nice hardware synth, and the reverb tends to make the note seem a bit longer.]

I could see a nice Wishlist post out of this, though. Add a setting for Duration that could be adjusted on the main screen. A number, or a slider perhaps. It would adjust the channel that is currently selected.

An alternative would be an icon that takes you to the Options, Preferences, Notation, More dialog that contains more fine-tuning controls than would be practical on the main screen. My normal notation program also has just such an adjustment. It asks how short I want a staccato note to be played, for example. The default is 75% but I changed it to 40%. I like that level of control rather than specifying a few choices such as legato, staccato etc.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Note insert in the Notation view is unusual and takes a bit of getting used to. Generally, if you enter a note on the first beat, it will appear to take the entire bar - plus some (about 7 beats), until you either enter another note or a rest later in the bar, which will then truncate it.

As for the note length, mine defaults at 6 beats 42

I never worry about it because the note length will truncate to fit whatever else is later in the bar. It's different, but quite versatile.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-07-12_01-49-41.jpg (66.53 KB, 86 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Right. The spacing between notes is also adjustable, which affects that automatic truncation of a note when the next one is entered. By the way, I think this note entry scheme might be BIAB's best feature.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
HI

Thanks for your replies
Yes I have seen DAWS that have a gate timing value that you can set the % of all or selected inserted notes value to.
I am sure that the default 80% is fine for most work .it’s just the long tied notes can finish up a bit short.
Many of the voices I use such as sweep pads take a while to develop to their full sweep so I don’t want them cut short , also I tend to use a lot of ambient and evolving
Voices these to need time if I want 3 bars say 12 beats I don’t want to finish up with
Much less like 11 beats and a few ticks.
Still as you say you can always edit the note in the PRV or right click
I do agree the notation entry method in BIAB is very quick and second to none IMO.

But whatever the entry method I do want best part of the value of the notated note.
Some small gap between notes would occur if played live on a keyboard say as you lift off to move to the next note unless you deliberately hold on for a legato effect.
Just my thoughts
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 07/11/17 11:29 AM.

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Mike
I have my default set to 95 (Opt/Pref/Notation/More) which suits me. I like the melody notes generally to flow from one to another father than having an audible break unless I specifically require it.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,

I'm like Dave, I have my note length set to 95%. I have also used 98%.

I use notation editor a great deal for writing and playing melodies and I like a legato sound. I find it easier to reduce note length of those few notes at the end of phrases or for staccato sounds, etc., by using staff roll mode or inserting rests than it is to lengthen the many notes needed to obtain a legato melody.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
HI

Thanks for your replies Dave and Noel

Looks like we are on the same wavelength here then.

Noel
As I said there is a couple of useful commands in the Melody Editor
Re
Or even for the whole song in MLODY / EDIT MELODY TRACK / QUANTIZE /HUNANIZE LEGATO% this increases all notes in the song.

If this results in overlapping notes you can then use / EDIT MELODY TRACK / QNANTIZE / ELIMINATE NOTE OVERLAP

Overlapping notes only become a problem if both notes are the same pitch .
If they are different pitches that’s ok as they then become a slur (and can be annotated as such) but both notes will sound.

Where as tied notes should only sound once for the duration of the note. And mid does not like receiving another note on until it has seen the first note off. You can finish up with stuck notes. Ugh.

As you say stretching lots of short notes is a pain.
Thank you all for your interest
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 07/11/17 11:24 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Good thread. I will give 90+ a try.

Usually, the only notes I need to adjust manually are as Mike mentioned: the ones that go three measures and have to be changed from under 4 beats to under 12.

Veteran
Veteran
When I enter notation, I usually use 95-98%, so there is a slight gap, and adjust specific notes after the fact.

Actually, most of the time, I play the part in using my MIDI keyboard, then quantize using 95% or so, then go back to see if anything got quantized to the wrong division (in the event I played it closer to the previous note accidentally). But it also accomplishes the desired % note duration.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
By the way, I think this note entry scheme might be BIAB's best feature.

Very agree in that Matt. Actually just discover that a few days ago, as I have never used this feature before... First I got frustrated, because I did not really understood how it worked. When I figured that out, I was thinking; Wow, this is a genius way to do it ! Only I have to figure out now is the value of each note so I know exactly where, in what beat, to put it...

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Expert
Expert
Good tip .... immediately took action ... time saver again boyz. thanks.

BTW some how the possibility to use the marker line (yellow below) for say "verse , middle 8 etc" got switched off, as i re setted BIAB, and i cannot find were to turn it on again. Help, help ... ??? F

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB marker line.jpg (24.6 KB, 50 downloads)
Expert
Expert
Being a legatoish type trombone player, I always use 100%. If any overlap occurs there is an action to cure this.

However, I do wonder how the Embellish 'Melody Dialogue', 'More', 'Legato Setting' with its default of 65 affects the note duration; since my understanding of legato is "in a smooth flowing manner, without breaks between notes". That is if you have Embellish switched on with that area ticked. But I always do, because I always want a vibrato applied. Although I am not sure if filling in the top of the 'More' box actually applies the entries at the bottom? Perhaps it only happens when you apply all the other Embellish settings?

Just quietly, it seems to me that most of the default settings are designed to create the right sound with guitars and pianos and not necessarily trombones, trumpets and saxes. wink

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
HI ALL

Well it is great to get so much interest on this and I thank you all for your thoughts on this,
Obviously there is no one setting to suit all but reading through all the post it seems that a lot of you favour a higher setting than the default .

So I am going to give 95% a go and see how that works for me and most of my music.

Thank you again for your participation this is a really great forum.
The best collection of folks that know about music and the technical side of things.
Sort of Musician / Technicians and always ready to help.
Thanks,

Best regards
Mike

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,585
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193