Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
PeterF #420531 07/05/17 07:59 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

So much beauty and tenderness... Outstanding lyric, vocal and production. Loved it.

Bob

Bob - thanks, man... as you so often do, you said a lot in an amazing few number of words...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Floyd,

Very effective storytelling wrapped up in a simple but just right backing.
Liked the strings at the end and harmony vocals.
Very nice work all round.
Peter

Thanks, Peter... appreciate it...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I knew Ginny when I was 23 (-ish).
(I had a bit of a crush on her)
She was about 10 years older (which is a lot when you are 23).

Quote:
the boys on saturday
are barely out of high school
and seldom have anything to say

The back story coupled with the lyric I found interesting. It's easy for the listener to assume those where her true feelings...yet they are filtered by the 23 year old writer of the song.

I also find a strange kind of ironic fate in all these years later Ginny is still be written about by a boy she may have assumed didn't have anything to say.

Am I reading WAY to much into this? Probably. But for me, the contrast of the two is what rings truest for me as a listener. Cautionary tale? nah. Two star-crossed lovers...not really. It's not that dramatic...thankfully! Itjust felt real. I like real!:)

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
A great write and performance. Very good imagery. I agree with others that your vocals on this one were outstanding. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Al-David #420684 07/06/17 11:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: critter
Another gem from the master "FJ", great lyrics and composition.

Steve - nice to see you pop up again! Thanks for the listen...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd,

Di and I were contemplating the lyric to this one for a few minutes. We kind of came to an agreement - you are a contemporary Tom T Hall. Writing a simple song that resonates is one of the most difficult tasks a songwriter can attack.

A great song is a great novel in a hundred words or less. As you anxiously anticipate the next page in a thrilling novel, you savor the expectation of the next line of the song. You've written a masterpiece, Floyd. But, this is just one of many.

I can speak from both sides of that fence. As I think you know, I also write novels (3 on Amazon now and three in the works). Every time I sit down to start a new novel, I write a song about it first. Nothing formal or worth posting - just a reference for myself. It's better than an outline and challenges me to to turn 85 words into 85,000 words and say, more or less, the same thing.

The strings at the end of your song were an unexpected but pleasant surprise. And I think I you've captured the dilemma of an unmarried woman of that age. This was a real pleasure to listen to. Thank you.

Alan & Di

Alan & Di - Thanks for such a nice review. I do appreciate it. Alan - I went to your music site expecting I could find links to your books - why aren't there any?

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, I have no idea how you can come up with one masterpiece after another with each one being different but outstanding! Man I wish I could tell stories like you can. As always everything is perfect in this one.

This is a keeper.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Scott C #420825 07/07/17 01:03 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Beautiful heartfelt story in your lyric Floyd. Super vocal and backtrack.

Thanks Scott. You are a great supporter of this forum - a special part of it...thanks for that, too...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Biglad
pure quality in every way ,great story and production.always love the sound and the depth of the vocals .thank you FJ

Brad - Really appreciate that. Thanks for stopping by...

RnAM #421110 07/09/17 11:22 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

You really are a masterful storyteller.

I once knew someone who fits that description, with an outward show of confidence and an underlying sadness. Maybe lots of us have met her at sometime.

Before I listened to the track I was intrigued by the end of the waveform on Soundcloud and wondered what you'd been doing there. The ending was worth waiting for.

Another classic in the Floyd style, with professionalism written all the way through.

Cheers, ROG.

Well this kind of wraps it up ;-)
We might add that you are one of the most talented and productive songwriters here on the forum and this song clearly demonstrates that again.

This must be your 120/130+ song?
Cool!

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks, y'all! Such a nice thing to say... y'all are pretty danged talented yourself! You made me realize... I need to go do a new count...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A true story for many, many folks out there Floyd. You captured it very well here! As J&B said, very sad! Great write/production/performance as always. Thanks, Torrey

44kfl #421220 07/10/17 09:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
I love the ending!

didn't wanna forget to mention that

Such a good write, I know that you've mentioned before that

you usually write words first and then add music, sounds like

that's maybe the case here. Your music choices and melodies

never disappoint. I think that's the weakness of most lyrics first

writers, not enough attention put into the rest. I've said this before

but you lay out the blueprint for all of us, the deep background, attention

to little details, I care about your characters.

At first I thought it was too abrupt jumping to the Friday and Saturday night

guys mentioned and thought maybe that you had trimmed some lines out.

I listened again and it works well as her assessment of "what's out there".

We're lucky to have you here, you're like our own "Deacon" and we're

just Reyna waiting for more inspiration.

I use the tv to keep from thinking bout too much a lot.

loved it,

Kenny

Kenny, thanks for such a thoughtful review. Saying the you "care about the characters" is very satisfying for this type song. Actually, most of my writing is lyrics and melody at the same time. (Although I've done some "lyric first" and recently done a few "music first" - which I find the hardest to do...). Now if only I was a good looking as Deacon...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
fj,

Well done. Brevity being the soul of wit. grin

Regards,

Lefty

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Floyd,

Another great version of the subtly gut-wrenching, quietly understated reminder that so many human beings as Thoreau said "lead lives of quiet desperation."

I agree with the Tom T. Hall comparison, very apt. I was reminded of that too.

I liked your choice of RTs for this. Well done. Excellent story telling as usual as everyone has said.

Hope you have a party blast for July 4th and write a song about drinking, cussin', hollerin' and screamin' and howling at the moon for pure drunken joy and kissing every pretty girl in town next.

Throw a Telecaster in there too and turn it up to 12.

smile

Mr. Snyder... I always love a review that includes references to both Henry David Thoreau and Tom T. Hall!

Not sure I can do a full-out party song, but let's see if there is a chance of getting some of those elements in the next one... drinkin' an' hollerin' and kissin'... and that Tele, of course....

Pat Marr #421357 07/11/17 07:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

As always, I like the way you take everyday elements (ie. dinner and making the bed... topics with which any audience can identify...) and spin them into pathos, making them uniquely applicable to the person in your story. The net result of this approach is that the audience gets a glimpse into a daily routine they've never lived themselves. That's interesting.

I like how you put that. "Story" songs should "take you somewhere" - a place or a feeling - and do it without "hitting you over the head". It should be an "easy telling" that doesn't get in the way. It shouldn't be cliche or contrived - just "natural"... hopefully that happens here...

Quote:

And when it comes to pathos, nothing says it quite like strings. I thought your decision to add an extended passage of "strings only" was the perfect segue between the story and the listener's reaction to it. I imagine it to be the functional equivalent of the way one's thoughts wind down as they lay on the couch, drifting off to whatever is on TV, after eating a frozen entree... alone.

The BIAB string quartet is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for this application. Generally, I use a String MIDI Supertrack for background strings, but the quartet was just what I wanted for this....

Quote:

On a completely different note:
I thought Ember's opening comment was interesting: "IF marriage is something you are striving for..."

More and more, I think marriage is not as compelling to either gender as it once was (but for differing reasons.)

I'll go so far as to say that in some circles this song would generate kickback because it relies on certain stereotypes that are no longer universally accepted (and in some cases, strongly resisted.)

It's becoming harder to write stories and songs that resonate with a wide audience. Society is not only divided politically, but also in terms of social norms... and that really intersects with the spectrum of topics that are typically addressed by music as a form of social commentary.

I did address Ember's IF comment in my response to her. This IS a somewhat "dated" concept/perception. At the time that I wrote this, it was a lot less so - though it was evolving at the time. The world has changed - dramatically. Of course, it seems that at least half the country would like things to return to the way things were in 1955 - regardless of how maniacally crazy that might be. So there are, likely, still plenty of people who are raising their daughters to still think this way. Some evovle, some don't. Different strokes... Personally, I consider this a "snapshot" of how things were at the time...

Almost forgot to mention... this is also about the "ticking biological clock" of wanting to have children. That angle still holds for the most part...

Thanks for such a thought-provoking commentary, Pat!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
I just love your voice.

What a nice thing to say, Marty... thanks.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Great vocal, one of your best I think, and great harmonies too.

Love that little lick that plays under the "suitable partners around" line, fits perfectly.

Love the story, great lyrics as usual, and man, that ending! Not expected but very cool indeed.

Thanks, Dave. Appreciate it. That lick is, of course, all BIAB "doing its thing". We are fortunate to have such amazing software to present our songs...

Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
Hey Floyd,
This is very nice. Really like the instrumentation. That nylon guitar sounds great! Good write. Your a machine! grin

Greg

Glad to see you drop by, Greg... That nylon guitar track is like the cello RT - they both work in SO many situations...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

Very beautiful song with sadness.
I do not quite well understand nuances because the lyrics are English, but this is beautiful.
And your vocal is really fitted to this tune.
The band with a small organization is very preferable and strings at ending are very cool.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - Thank you for such a lovely review.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW!!!!! You can word up a song like nobody else! Such Feeling in your vocals, like ya mean ever word!!!! What young man hasn't lived a simularish story, but you paint a incredible picture (as expected) that has a lasting memory! You Da Man! Floyd!!!!!! But kin ye pairodee? Wanna have a Pairodee-off? lol I wouldn't challenge the Kang of Wordin Up!!!!!! lol crazy

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I knew Ginny when I was 23 (-ish).
(I had a bit of a crush on her)
She was about 10 years older (which is a lot when you are 23).

Quote:
the boys on saturday
are barely out of high school
and seldom have anything to say

The back story coupled with the lyric I found interesting. It's easy for the listener to assume those where her true feelings...yet they are filtered by the 23 year old writer of the song.

I also find a strange kind of ironic fate in all these years later Ginny is still be written about by a boy she may have assumed didn't have anything to say.

Am I reading WAY to much into this? Probably. But for me, the contrast of the two is what rings truest for me as a listener. Cautionary tale? nah. Two star-crossed lovers...not really. It's not that dramatic...thankfully! Itjust felt real. I like real!:)

Caaron - Can't ask for a better note than that a song comes across as "real" - especially for this type song. Not intended to be commercial at all (which are often less-than-real by design) - but to document a moment in time hoping that other can relate in some way. It is intended to reflect the view point of the 23-ish writer seeing an "older woman's point of view". Thanks for seeing it for what it is and noting that...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Another great version of the subtly gut-wrenching, quietly understated reminder that so many human beings as Thoreau said "lead lives of quiet desperation."

David sorta set the piano on fire and walked off the stage. That one sentence says it and damn eloquently at that.

Non intellectual, intellectual, pseudo intellectual, poetic, not poetic -- anybody of about any ilk can relate to the pathos in this write and the powerful vocal performance that delivers it.

Janice says the imagery is so strong she readily pictures the folks in the bar and her at home....yep.

Immerse all the above in a high bar fj production (wonderful outro) and you've got in our opinion one of the strongest songs posted in a long time.

Kudos mr jane!!

J&B

User Showcase
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
As always the production is flawless,the vocal excellent and the story telling sublime.Quality again again and again thanks FJ

Os Windows Biab 2018. studio one pro 3 ozone 8 focusrite 214 se electronics Gemini mic
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
A great write and performance. Very good imagery. I agree with others that your vocals on this one were outstanding. Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. Appreciate that. About time for another from you?

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Floyd, I have no idea how you can come up with one masterpiece after another with each one being different but outstanding! Man I wish I could tell stories like you can. As always everything is perfect in this one.

This is a keeper.

Mario - thanks for such nice thoughts....
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
A true story for many, many folks out there Floyd. You captured it very well here! As J&B said, very sad! Great write/production/performance as always. Thanks, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey!!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,465
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195