Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
OP Offline
T
I just bought Band in a Box (Mac) 2017.
I am trying to record into BIAB with an Edirol Midi Keyboard Controller.
I can't get any signal from the controller to register in BIAB.

I can get the controller to register OK in Logic (on a Macbook Pro)

Anyone got any ideas ?

Expert
Expert
HI

First make sure you have the keyboard set as a midi input in BiAB midi settings..

On the normal chord sheet screen look at the mixer for the THRU Track just below the Soloist track,
Select your play thru patch Voice from here.
Thru is sent to you midi out device selected in mid setting, if you have routed midi to your VST DXI synth those are the voices you hear.

If you are in record mode the midi data gets sent from here to the Melody or Soloist track as well and is recorded as note data.
The voice / patch that you hear on play back is the voice selected for the melody or soloist track.

It is up to you to choose the melody or soloist track voice and the THRU track voice to be the same if that’s what you want,

If you do not set a voice for the THRU track it will use the default Piano .
But still what you hear on playback will be what ever voice you have chosen for the Melody or Soloist Track.

You can also work with the soloist track if you select it
Because when you click record a box pops up allowing you the choice of recording to the Melody or Soloist tracks.
for info
THRU = midi ch 5
Melody = midi ch 4
Soloist = midi ch 8
This is why each track can have its own voice /patch

I think that will get you going. cool
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 07/19/17 04:40 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
T
OP Offline
T
I am using the Mac version.
In Midi Settings there is no input device selection.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tourismo and welcome to the forum!

This post is in the Band-in-a-Box for Windows section of the forum. You likely will receive better advice in the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Mac forum +++.

It will helpful if you post a computer description with ram, hard drive space and operating system. Just like pc computers, Apple computers come in many sizes and operating systems.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
HI Tourismo

I did see you mention Logic and Mac book pro
But you did not say you were using them for BIAB
I assumed you where just saying you had tested your keyboard on that set up!

Apart from midi selection of inputs which I believe is automatic on the Mac
Most of my post will proballt be the same regarding Thru channels etc
I really don’t Know my way around the Mac version at all .
Sorry frown
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Apprentice
Apprentice
Following up on what was asked here. Can you program a midi controller so that it controls the band in a box volume?

In other words I have an oxygen 49 keyboard. It sure would be nice to be able to control the band in the box volume right from that keyboard rather than walk over to the software and monkey with that every time.

Is it possible and how do you do it?

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core Processor. 3.79 GHZ; RAM = 32.00 GB; 64 Bit Operating System; Windows 10; Focusrite 8i18 External Card; Real Band; Band in a Box; Coyote Forte Wave Table; Oxygen 49 MIDI Controller
Veteran
Veteran
Goofeyfoot,

Band-in-a-Box for Windows doesn't support mixer control by midi controller. A quick review of the online BiaB for Macintosh manual does not indicate the feature is supported.

A request has been on the Band-in-a-Box wishlist for almost seven years. If you would like to support the request you can add a +1 to show your support +++ HERE +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, I requested that long before eleven years ago.

It should be mentioned that BIAB did have support for the discontinued Frontier Design Tranzport. It may still; I don’t know. At one point, BIAB was able to be controlled by this.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
It sure would be nice. I presently use a Akai 25 key controller in Studio one. I really like what it can do. I am seriously considering upgrading to a native instruments controller with 49 keys. I find then25 key to be a bit restrictive when noodling around. Since I am not a keyboard player, but just us it to add little patterns and such I don’t need fancy.

I bet it would be cool if BiaB had that. Ability.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
It sure would be nice. I presently use a Akai 25 key controller in Studio one. I really like what it can do. I am seriously considering upgrading to a native instruments controller with 49 keys. I find then25 key to be a bit restrictive when noodling around. Since I am not a keyboard player, but just us it to add little patterns and such I don’t need fancy.

I bet it would be cool if BiaB had that. Ability.

On a side note keep that Akai connected along with your new keyboard. You can use the Akai to activate the keyswitches that are out of the range of your new 49 keyboard.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Oh, I requested that long before eleven years ago.

It should be mentioned that BIAB did have support for the discontinued Frontier Design Tranzport. It may still; I don’t know. At one point, BIAB was able to be controlled by this.

After reading this, I searched around on the internet some to learn more about this unit. Forum discussions indicate another company has created updated drivers that allow this device to work on Windows 10 computers. There were also discussions that former users of the Frontier Design Tranzport were able to replace the Tranzport with the Tascam FW-1884 Controller. If someone has one of those old controllers laying about, it may be they can be made to work with BIAB software similar to the way the Transport did.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
I had both.

Tascam failed to release the drivers they had for Windows 10, orphaning perfectly good hardware. Anyway, the FW-1884 was never able to control BIAB.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Just in case this didn't get resolved in the Mac forum, here's a video that might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THKC6FvvrTw&feature=emb_logo

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,630
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193