Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#425611 - 08/11/17 02:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

You're welcome, but please give us feedback of your findings. smile
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#425613 - 08/11/17 02:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

So you get stutter with the headphones but not internal speakers.
What if you run Line Out from the headphone jack to a set of speakers, do you get the stutter you get with the headphones ?
Does the RealTek HD Audio Manager pop up and ask what you have plugged in ?

#425627 - 08/11/17 06:29 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Maybe we need to define ‘audio stutter’ better. Can you record a few seconds of the problem, so we can hear what you hear? Then put that audio file on Dropbox and post a link to it. One of us will surely recognize it.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#425682 - 08/11/17 10:42 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: Matt Finley]
rallypally Offline
Apprentice

ok...i will do the recording and post soon

it sounds like you listening to your heart-beat through a stethescope

Edited by rallypally (08/11/17 10:45 AM)

#425683 - 08/11/17 10:44 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: Pipeline]
rallypally Offline
Apprentice

headphones and line plugged into speakers, and USB audio interface

#425689 - 08/11/17 10:55 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

So it just started doing this last week ?
Has it got a factory reset/recovery partition, so you can backup your files then do a factory reset ?

#425692 - 08/11/17 10:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: Pipeline]
rallypally Offline
Apprentice

yes it has a recovery partition..but I'll do a reset as last resort..i only have the machine for 3 weeks

#425724 - 08/11/17 04:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
By 'stutter' I assume you mean start/stop abruptly.

Does the song stay in time, or does the 'stutter' cause a break for a short period of time and the song resumes streaming where is was after the last heard sample?

Another way of asking; is the audio signal getting interrupted but otherwise the song plays normal (in time, but just the audio cuts in/out), or is the song getting short pauses in the tempo and flow as a result?

The difference is a clue as to whether the audio signal is getting interrupted before or after the device drivers start handling it.
It could be an unsteady flow of data to the device or it could be a problem with the device drivers, or even resources. Maybe the CPU is hardly working but the hard drive is over taxed (causing the aforementioned unsteady flow of data to the device in the first place).
As mentioned above, a sample recording would help narrow it down.

#425730 - 08/11/17 05:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Exactly. I also asked about other software a long time ago and the DPC Latency Checker (or Process Monitor) would be helpful here to see if an interrupt is causing this. We will know immediately if we can hear a sample.
BIAB 2019 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Cakewalk, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#425734 - 08/11/17 07:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: Matt Finley]
rallypally Offline
Apprentice

#425741 - 08/11/17 07:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Wow. I have never heard anything like that.

Anyone?

#425742 - 08/11/17 07:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: Matt Finley]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Wow. I have never heard anything like that.

Anyone?

No, definitely not what I was expecting. I'd be really interested to see what is using CPU cycles when that occurs. The rhythm of the events is unusual, in that it is so regular.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#425745 - 08/11/17 08:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

It seems like hardware problem but it does the same with your usb sound device.
You can try Hiren's Boot CD on USB https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hirenscd2bootableusb/

that has RealTek Audio drivers, so it might tell you if it is a Win10 problem or hardware problem before having to do a factory restore.

EDIT: Or a Win7 Live USB
http://www.intowindows.com/two-ways-to-create-windows-7-live-usb-drive/

Edited by Pipeline (08/11/17 08:47 PM)

#425748 - 08/11/17 10:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
rallypally Offline
Apprentice

I'm gonna uninstall all the windows updates since I bought the machine and see if the problem still persists...

#425752 - 08/12/17 12:26 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Veteran

Do you have a restore point(s)? Just try going back one at a time of course.

#425799 - 08/12/17 07:21 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: rallypally
I'm gonna uninstall all the windows updates since I bought the machine and see if the problem still persists...

Backup your system with an image to an external HD prior to doing this. It could save you a lot of time and aggravation.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#426211 - 08/15/17 08:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I'm late to the party....

But I have a few questions.... I didn't see these asked or answered ..... or perhaps I missed them in skimming the 4 pages of replies.

1. What is the brand and model of the "external audio interface" being used?

2. What driver mode are you using with it?

Most of the skipping and stuttering I have seen and experienced, was a direct result of the buffers not being large enough or the driver mode mot being totally compatible with the interface.

It is totally possible to use MME and other drivers with a quality interface. However, in doing so, you end up with poor performance and stuttering as well as latency and other issues such as pops and drops.

Check to see first that the external interface is set as the default sound card and then be sure you have selected the external interface as in and out for both audio and midi, and be sure you have selected the ASIO driver mode. Start with the default ASIO settings. Often, they will work just fine with no tweeking.

I have run BB for over a decade using some pretty ancient (by today's standards) computers with very limited speed and memory and they all ran BB as well as my other audio DAW's with relative ease.

3. Is the project a straight up 100% audio project or does it use and include midi tracks as well?

Again, the external interface running anything less than ASIO can and often does have problems when the project has a mixture of audio and midi. It's the midi stuff that causes the audio issues. It has to be rendered to audio and there's a delay in the processing between when it reads the data and gets the audio to the speakers. That delay is called Latency. Every computer and sound card has it. But with the right driver and set up properly, that latency will be negligible to the listener and everything sounds like it's synced up. If the driver mode can't handle the processing, and/or the buffers are not sized correctly, and there's multiple midi tracks to render, this can cause the program to pause for a split second to allow it to "catch up". You hear that as a stutter. If it's bad enough, the music in the tracks can get out of sync or in some cases, the program actually just stops totally resulting in a drop.

On my old duo-core laptop, I could load up a really large project with 15 to 20 tracks, load it with some processing intensive VSTs and get it to stutter and choke even with good drivers. Smaller BB projects with 5 or 6 tracks like BB supports were never an issue.

Have a look at the interface and the driver mode, set them up properly, and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#426213 - 08/15/17 08:58 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Herb, this was his comment on that subject, but it is still unclear what equipment he used to cause that crazy sound. He has an underpowered laptop with a realtek sound card.

"I'll give ASIO4ALL a go.
I also have an external ZOOM U44 audio interface which I can use"

#426568 - 08/18/17 03:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
rallypally Offline
Apprentice

hi everyone

well, I've come to the conclusion that the issue is not specific to BB.

Seems to be either hardware or Windows software problem, coz randomly, also occurs when playing audio through other media players or audio via websites..and not related to the onboard or external soundcards...

I noticed today, that besides playing audio, when I launched an application, the same throbbing sound occurred

#426583 - 08/18/17 06:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can harddrive access cause Audio Stutter? [Re: rallypally]
rap429 Offline
Enthusiast

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 had an audio problem with headphones that cause stuttering. It was a Realtek driver issue that Microsoft had fixed. Might be something with your Realtek drivers

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 613 Available

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows users... Build 613 is available!

Learn more and download now...

Summary of changes:
Fixed: Exporting MP3 files would fail if using the 64 bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, and Windows 7 or earlier.
Fixed: Some audio export error messages were blank.
Fixed: The 64 bit version of Band-in-a-Box was not working with jBridge for loading 32 bit VST plugins.
Fixed: If using the Lyric Document window, there will be an access violation when saving the song (64 bit only).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would freeze when rendering to audio if there was no default synth selected, and "Use DXi/VSTi Snth" was enabled.
Fixed: The 64 bit version should use "MaxPluginsToScan64.txt" instead of sharing "MaxPluginsToScan.txt" with the 32 bit version

This patch will update Band-in-a-Box® 2019 to Build 613 from any previous 2019 build.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows® Download and Installation Tutorial

If you've purchased Band-in-a-Box® and want to download it to get started right away - make sure you check out our latest video for assistance! Click here to watch...

RealBand® 2019 New Features Video!

Learn more about the new RealBand® 2019 features with our RealBand® 2019 New Features Overview Video: Click here...

RealBand® is included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 612 Available

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows users... Build 612 is available!

It includes the DAW Plugin patch too!!!

Learn more and download now...

Summary of changes:
Fixed: Songs would not load or save VST data if larger than 1 megabyte, displaying flash message error "VST/FX data is too large to save".
Fixed: It was not possible to use the N key while entering note based lyrics in the Notation window.
Fixed: Recorded MIDI would be erased if also recording audio.
Fixed: The MIDI Driver dialog would not show the selected VSTi or DXi synth after choosing one in the Plugins window.
Updated: PDF and help file documentation.

Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin 1.9.28 fixes:
There are lots of significant fixes and additions in this patch, especially related to some single track operations not working.

Fixed: Right-clicking generate bass track generated all individual tracks
Fixed: StylePicker, RealTracks Picker, and other style and instrument selection windows would sometimes open behind the main window, requiring you to alt+tab to see them.
Fixed: Loading demo from StylePicker or loading a song when a special track was already present sometimes added an extra RealTracks (special track) to page 2
Fixed: Output directory error.
Fixed: BBW sometimes not receiving message when run as administrator. This would cause some actions to hang or not work at all.
Fixed: Skip grey bars when moving selector through chordsheet.
Fixed: Dragging tracks into Reason would sometimes give a 'Not found' error message.
Fixed: AAX Plugin was not being recognized by Pro Tools.
Fixed: Problem scrolling chord table when crossing PartMarker during highlight.
Fixed: Repaint problem in Reason (possibly other DAWs).
Fixed: Some opened BB songs with realcharts on a frozen track would cause an access violation.
Added: Detailed log file written in BB Data folder bbw4exe_pluginLog.txt.
Fixed: Generation of single tracks would hang the program if the bb folder contained the file MaxPluginsToScan.txt containing Max=0. This file should not normally be present except in rare cases where a DX plugin scan failed.
Added: VST2 FX 32-bit version.
Improved: Installer has options for installing all plugin types. All files are now digitally signed.

Video - the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in Pro Tools®

Check out our latest video that demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in Pro Tools® - Watch now...

View all of our the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin videos here, or check out the YouTube Playlist.

Video - the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in PreSonus® Studio One®

Check out our latest video that demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in PreSonus® Studio One® - Watch now...

View all of our the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin videos here, or check out the YouTube Playlist.

Video - the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in Reason®

Check out our latest video that demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 DAW Plugin for Windows® in Reason® - Watch now...

Forum Stats
28745 Members
60 Forums
56308 Topics
469244 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
rbrusme@gmail.co, rayanic, Gold top std., graham195, jpk

28744 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 364
Noel96 312