Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#433388 - 10/14/17 11:45 AM [User Showcase] The Man In My Mirror
guitar1 Offline
Apprentice

Hello all. It's been a while since I posted. We are getting everything ready for our winter trip to the western end of this great nation. I am posting a new song. It is a country gospel song I wrote a while back. I spent some years traveling the country gospel road. I backed away when politics entered the picture, but that doesn't make the genre any less important. This one is a little darker than some, but anyone who has ever dealt with depression will understand where I am coming from. Very few of the creatives I have ever had dealings with have escaped this entirely. I hope you like it.

The Man In My Mirror

#433392 - 10/14/17 12:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Hi Gary,

Yeah, slightly dark but not too much so. I would say more intuitively perceptive of one who's lost his way and can't find a place to make a U-turn. Your vocal has quite a bit of George Jones in it to my ears.

Di and I are people of faith but don't write a lot of gospel music. I think we've done, perhaps, half a dozen or so over the years. Of we could write them this good, we'd probably do more of them.

A nice approach to a tough subject. Kudos for taking it on! Ya did good! Safe travel on your trip.

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#433395 - 10/14/17 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: Al-David]
guitar1 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Alan
I didn't write gospel until the nineties. I hit a really bad patch of my own, and started writing out of personal desperation. but I discovered that a lot of people identified with them. This led to performing my songs in churches for years. I didn't return to writing in different genres until much later. I am trying to record some 200 songs that I have in backlog. Have you ever written a song and then discovered that you were not capable of singing it? Talk about humbling.

#433406 - 10/14/17 12:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Gary this is fantastic. Outstanding performance in this one. A strong voice, great lyrics and a super mix, this song has everything. Your vocal had a touch of George Jones and Bill Anderson in it. Extremely well done.

This is a keeper for sure.

Edited by MarioD (10/14/17 12:55 PM)

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#433411 - 10/14/17 01:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow, I really enjoyed this Gary smile It has a genuine, sincere quality to it. It's beautifully haunting, and the vocal performance is near flawless. It indeed has a darkness to it, but personally I feel it made it even more compelling to listen to.

Thanks so much for sharing!

#433412 - 10/14/17 01:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
JBlatz Offline
Apprentice

A nicely done country song... I enjoyed it.

#433460 - 10/14/17 05:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Missouri
Torrey Bliss Offline
Veteran

Loc: Missouri
Gary, this is real country! A message that many can relate to! I agree with Alan about the George Jones comparison, It really sounds like something he would have done! Thanks, Torrey

#433490 - 10/14/17 07:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Great country song. Very Johnny Cash.

Great job. Excellent title and hook.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#433500 - 10/14/17 10:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Sounds like an old classic.
Love the feeling behind the lyrics.
This to me is real country.
Thanks for bringing back that feeling.
Rob

#433538 - 10/15/17 07:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Gary,

Well this sure sounds as authentic as it gets! It is also the kind of country music I first heard in my youth. Speaking of which, it made me think of Charlie Rich's Long long way from Tennessee. Love that song.
Your vocals are cool and with emotion.

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#433561 - 10/15/17 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Well done Gary. Heartfelt vocal. Well done

#433564 - 10/15/17 08:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
I love the George Jones reference made here by listeners

I can hear it too

very nice song, sounds like classic country to me

enjoyed the listen

Kenny

#433565 - 10/15/17 08:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Gary !:))

What a nice tune !
Dark or not I like it
nonetheless !:))

You sure have a voice
as made for country !!!!:))

Cheers
Dani

#433613 - 10/15/17 04:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Gary,

Really nicely done. Your vocals on this sound great.

Would love to see you post lyric to these when you put them up.

Solid old-school Country. Enjoyed.

fj

#433633 - 10/15/17 05:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Gary,
Plus 1 to all the kudos above. Such a strong sense of experience behind the song and your vocal.
Very well done!

Robert

#433635 - 10/15/17 06:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: guitar1
Thanks Alan
I didn't write gospel until the nineties. I hit a really bad patch of my own, and started writing out of personal desperation. but I discovered that a lot of people identified with them. This led to performing my songs in churches for years. I didn't return to writing in different genres until much later. I am trying to record some 200 songs that I have in backlog. Have you ever written a song and then discovered that you were not capable of singing it? Talk about humbling.

Gary,

If I had a dollar for every song I've written I can't sing (that's a majority of the 800 or so I've written), I'd be one wealthy guy! Fortunately, I have a beautiful wife with an equally gorgeous voice who can sing many of them. Her health has declined dramatically over the past two years and rarely has enough strength/energy to sing a song these days. But, I have a mediocre voice on the best of days and it's usually a good idea to let someone else sing my songs!

If you're interested, here is a link to our most current gospel:

https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/he-believes-in-me

Hope you enjoy it, if you get a chance to listen.

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#433644 - 10/15/17 07:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Very well written, classic country sound. Definitely hear some Jones in there (and that's very good).

Enjoyed this one.

Steve

#433756 - 10/16/17 03:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: Rob4580]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Sounds like an old classic.
Love the feeling behind the lyrics.
This to me is real country.
Thanks for bringing back that feeling.
Rob

Agreed!! Very heartfelt and authentic song and delivery. Cannot think of anything I would change. Truly excellent!! Take care. Greg

#433818 - 10/16/17 08:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
guitar1 Offline
Apprentice

Thanks Deryk. I have never recorded a vocal that I was satisfied with. I am not particularly enamored of my vocal abilities, but I like to try. It is however, very humbling to think that people actually like to hear my songs. I haven't really found my niche yet, but there is a good chance I never will, since I like so many styles of music. Thanks again for your comment. I told a Nashville producer years ago that I was not a singer. His reply was puzzling for about six seconds. He said.

"Neither is Johnny Cash or Willy Nelson, but If you them today and then hear them again twenty years from now, you'll recognize their voice. You can't buy that."

#433960 - 10/17/17 01:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Man In My Mirror [Re: guitar1]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Oh yeah! That is a great heartfelt and soulful vocal that harkens back to the masters of the genre - George Jones, Mark Chesnutt, Vern Gosdin and others.

We like it. All of it. The write, the vocal and the production.

J&B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Holiday Hours - Monday, August 3 (British Columbia Day)

Monday, August 3 is British Columbia Day!

Since we are located in British Columbia (Victoria, on Vancouver Island), that means it's a holiday for us! Don't worry, some of our team will still be available - our hours on Monday are 8AM-4PM PST.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, August 4. www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Band-in-a-Box® - My New Favorite Thing

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We encourage you to share your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we LOVE getting feedback!

Like the latest post from Tangmo:

My New Favorite Thing - Extra Style PAK #9 with Loop Pack #2

I set up an eight bar progression with some simple pushes, shots, holds, and rests for reference. Then I started auditioning styles--Three hours later, I am invigorated, inspired, and just plain smiling big. Really CHOICE! From "down to earth" to eclectic, this is a really fun pak.

Great job, folks!

Thanks Tangmo!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Refresh Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box 2020 to the latest build 725 for Windows today! This free update acknowledges song memo edits when saving your work, resolves step-advance within the Big Piano window, revives a killed audio track, and more!

Just like our recent Mac patch, the DAW Plugin has been updated too! We've added "insert" and "delete" options into the chord sheet context menu and addressed 20+ reported 'bugs'!

Learn more & update today!

Forum Stats
32592 Members
68 Forums
65482 Topics
555191 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
James Franco, Andyf1204, ace27, Bernieod, cuzzolin

32591 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 188