Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#433522 10/15/17 01:35 AM
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been learning more of BIAB Realtracks and how to incorporate them into other sounds etc. This is a song I co-wrote several years ago & posted a rough remake/remix of it months ago. I've had the vocal, (the prime problem), tweaked with an AutoTune type program by someone with the ears to do a decent job.
I started rebuilding the track and ended up with two versions - a fairly straight one with BIAB drums & organ + my guitars, (Teleclone on one side and Mustang HH on the other), & bass, (Emperador Semi with fender flat strings), then I decided to try a tangent using the guitars, organ and vocals from the original but adding extra tracks using a Mel9. It took a while to learn the Mel9 - the tweaks needed to sit them in a song are easy once known but it took some research & experimenting to get a decent mix.
The Mel9 tracks DON'T sound like real instruments or superb samples from a great synth - they sound like Mellotron tape samples- warts and all. I love the old 'Tron tones so am happy with the results but it may not be to everyone's taste.
Here it is...
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-02-by-miriam-stavert-ray-cochrane
Sandpaper Castles 1811
Here's a slight remix with the vocals raised a couple or three dB as suggested/requested.
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-21-miriam-ray
AND
Here's the more straight ahead mix with BIAB drums & organ
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-v1-miriam-ray

I'll build a sandpaper castle,
Beneath the noonday sun,
I'll sit & watch the people,
& laugh as they run.
Within my silent citadel,
I'll shut out the world,
& shelter in my fortress,
Making plans that won't unfurl.
I'll celebrate my solitude,
With music, wine & song,
Loneliness won't reach me;
Nothing can go wrong.
I'll fill my day with minutes,
& watch them slip away,
Eternally grateful for the present,
& the memories they slay.
Just sit & play old records,
& scratch them when they're done,
Try to destroy the memories,
But can they be outrun?
I'll celebrate my solitude,
With music, wine & song,
Loneliness won't reach me;
Nothing can go wrong.
Almost silently the day breaks,
& with it comes the rain,
So I sit in semi darkness,
& pray to go insane.
My mask I'll wear to meals,
For 'tis the part I'd planned,
You know!
The same old story,
In castles made of sand...

Last edited by rayc; 10/16/17 07:16 PM. Reason: remix & alt mix

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,

This sure is something different! But very succeeded I think.
Miriam's vocals, and so does the track by the way, reminds me of Cocteau Twins from the 80s.
Very creative!

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a very cool tune. Backtrack was so different. Vocal was excellent. Excellent guitar..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
nice!

great sound, I wish the vocals were more out front (just a little)

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,

This is incredibly creative. You've taken BIAB into musical areas that I've never dreamt of. I totally enjoyed the excursion that you and Miriam took me on. In case it's valuable feedback: like Kenny, I also found myself wondering what the song would sound like if Miriam's vocals were brought a little more forward volume-wise. I congratulate you both on a really fine creation and presentation.

All the best to you both,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting sound, ray... cerebral...

I agree with Kenny that the vocal could use a bit of a bump...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
rayc, lots of cool twists and turns in here! Like nothing I've really heard before! Ethereal in places with great chord changes! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rayc, I'm with you in that I also like those old Mellotron sounds.

I also would like to hear the vocal more up front.

Great song and very nice chord progression.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very creative, really like the sound. Agree with all the comments about bringing up the vocals. Very enjoyable listen.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
L
Expert
Expert
L
I loved it. A very surreal tune and melody. I think the melody is unusual and tricky thus the vocals would benefit from more confidence as well as being further forward in the mix.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Different unusual original.
Appreciate the hard work and effort.
Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,

Very creative and evocative. As Rob says, this has a Cocteau Twins feel - and for me that`s a big plus.Miriam has a really good voice for the unusual melody.
Although its fine that the lyrics kind of float through the mix (some cool and unsettling lines in there!) I agree with the comments on bringing the vocal forward a little.
Lots of work has gone into your production and your sound is unlike anything I`ve heard using BiaB before- I`m looking forward to more!

Robert

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow, what a tune! As others said, this is very creative and has a truly original vibe here. It reminds me vaguely of Bjork. Even then, the tune has a sound quality unlike anything I've heard made in Band-in-a-Box before.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Ray,

This sure is something different! But very succeeded I think.
Miriam's vocals, and so does the track by the way, reminds me of Cocteau Twins from the 80s.
Very creative!

Rob

Thanks Rob,
that's very kind of you - any comparison to CT is greedily accepted.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is a very cool tune. Backtrack was so different. Vocal was excellent. Excellent guitar..

Ta muchly Scott,
I have to admit that until the vocals were "tuned" this didn't work at all. I was looking for a good opportunity to use my new Mustang - it sounds good on its own but is an excellent pedal pusher.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
nice!

great sound, I wish the vocals were more out front (just a little)

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Kenny,
You're a generous - I've raised the vocal level & popped a link in the OP. Thank you.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Ray,

This is incredibly creative. You've taken BIAB into musical areas that I've never dreamt of. I totally enjoyed the excursion that you and Miriam took me on. In case it's valuable feedback: like Kenny, I also found myself wondering what the song would sound like if Miriam's vocals were brought a little more forward volume-wise. I congratulate you both on a really fine creation and presentation.

All the best to you both,
Noel

Noel,
Thank you very much for your kindness. I've raised the vocal level & put a link in the OP.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Interesting sound, ray... cerebral...

I agree with Kenny that the vocal could use a bit of a bump...

Floyd jane,
Thank you - though I fear you left hemorrhage from the end of your 1st line.
Vox upped & the link is in the OP.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
rayc, lots of cool twists and turns in here! Like nothing I've really heard before! Ethereal in places with great chord changes! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey,
I wrote the chord progression & lyrics in '84 but didn't do anything with them until this century. Ethereal is something I'm happy with.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Rayc, I'm with you in that I also like those old Mellotron sounds.

I also would like to hear the vocal more up front.

Great song and very nice chord progression.

Mario,
Until this July I cut & pasted .wav files from a set I found on line. I still use them for the voices the Mel9 doesn't do. Vocals lifted - please see link in OP.
Thanks for your kind assessment.

Cheers
rayc
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195